Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: TomAz's Official, Ugly, Totally Threatening Titus Andronicus Misery Slog

Default Re: TomAz's Official, Ugly, Totally Threatening Titus Andronicus Misery Slog

^Same. Although, I'm pretty sure my hat will eventually get tossed onstage during a frenzied sing-along.

And Lee, do a google search of civil war hats and you'll find several options priced under $7
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Default Re: TomAz's Official, Ugly, Totally Threatening Titus Andronicus Misery Slog

Was hungover and bored today, so I spent much of the day cowering in a duvet and had some time to think. One of the things I thought about was whether one might indeed be able to make paper civil war hats to disperse amongst the crowd.

I ultimately concluded that it's not possible to do so without using more than one sheet of A4 each, therefore making the time and effort required per hat prohibitive. French style kepis are doable; but not American civil war style ones 'cause they have that forward slouching thing going on.

I hope this was a completely productive use of my time.

Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    Was hungover and bored today, so I spent much of the day cowering in a duvet and had some time to think. One of the things I thought about was whether one might indeed be able to make paper civil war hats to disperse amongst the crowd.

I ultimately concluded that it's not possible to do so without using more than one sheet of A4 each, therefore making the time and effort required per hat prohibitive. French style kepis are doable; but not American civil war style ones 'cause they have that forward slouching thing going on.

I hope this was a completely productive use of my time.
    Definitely a productive use on a lazy Sunday.

Thanks Gemma, I appreciate it.

I'll buy a hat soon.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

Anybody else get a Okkervil River vibe from Theme from Cheers? The first couple minutes anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

The murder capital where we murder for capital

I didn't before you said it but now I can hear it.

This is good stuff...

So what's with all this bullshit about wearing Civil War hats?
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    It's like finding out an old high school buddy is on meth, and you're not sure if any of the rumors of him giving handies behind Burger King are true but they very likely could be.

Quote Originally Posted by involvelemons View Post
    So I didn't read the whole thread to see if someone's already said this, and I only listened to the first album, but why does the lead singer sound uncomfortably like mid-career Conor Oberst? I literally had to google whether or not it was some new side project.
    I was always playing it for friends in my car and a lot of them came to the same conclusion.
    True story:

I have apparently not listened to The Airing of Grievances enough.

Yesterday I was listening to Coachella 2011 artists on random play, and this song came up that I didn't know, and I thought, damn, that's a really good Bright Eyes song, why don't I know it?

It was "Albert Camus".

so yeah now I totally get the TA to BE comparisons. If you haven't heard The Monitor, though, you should know it's gone away.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I agree that it's MUCH less pronounced on The Monitor, but his vocal timbre is still very similar to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Ahahahaa, that is awesome, Tom.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Dammit! I just found out Titus Andronicus is opening for Bright Eyes in Vancouver. I had no idea about this until 5 minutes ago. About 2 days ago, out of curisoity, I checked to see if tickets were available because I was considering going. They were. After finding out Titus is opening the show, I rushed over to ticketmaster to buy tickets... only to find out they are now sold out. Dammit!
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

I'm excited that they are playing in Phoenix a couple of days after Coachella, that will make up for the short set!

So, i happen to be strolling in to boston for work this weekend and figured i might as well check to see if there's any good shows worth catching.

to my surprise, titus andronicus will be playing with the pogues at the house of blues, 10 min from my hotel

So i've started watching the PBS Civil War mini series from 1990. Holy shit if this albums concept doesn't make so much more sense now. I knew the civil war was the inspiration for the concept but this mini series specifically seems to be the direct influence. Between the lincoln speeches exact dialog on both the album and the mini series and the story of the ship The Monitor and the song titles, I want to say half the album has been covered in the first 2 episodes lol. I'm really enjoying the special and the story of the Union ship the Monitor was one I was not familiar with and it's a pretty exciting one at that. I can't recommend this mini series enough and it's on netflix if you have it. I think it's 8 parts about 1 1/2 hours each part. It's brilliant.

Heading to Portland in mid-June and was checking to see what shows will be happening while I'm there. I've never been, but saw Okkervil River and Titus Andronicus will be playing at the Crystal Ballroom. Is it a good venue? Looks pretty classic from the website, so I'm kind of excited.

So are people really doing the hat thing or is this all just a clever ruse to trick me?
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I'd forgotten about hats, but I think there's still time to order.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by tubescape View Post
    Heading to Portland in mid-June and was checking to see what shows will be happening while I'm there. I've never been, but saw Okkervil River and Titus Andronicus will be playing at the Crystal Ballroom. Is it a good venue? Looks pretty classic from the website, so I'm kind of excited.
    Upcoming stuff also sometimes gets posted here, but it's been a while.

The Crystal is alright, but definitely not my favorite venue. It's a difficult place to see a quieter show, because the diagonal orientation amplifies the chatter in the back during lulls/slow builds/whathaveyou. Not really a problem for Titus, but might frustrate during Okkervil. It's pretty on the inside, though, and it's a McMenamins with a bar underneath, so the alcohol selection is good.

A lot of people really like it. I'm not in that camp, but I'd certainly never expressly NOT go to something because it was there.

^I thought I remembered seeing a PacNW thread, but didn't see it when I looked. Thanks! Still a few months before I head up there and a couple of gaps in the Doug Fir Lounge calendar, so maybe something else will come up. The Okkervil River and Titus A. show still seems like a good bet.

I'm doing it Tom. I waffled for a brief moment but i'm off to amazon now to buy one. I'll post a link shortly for others who want to get one. The time is NOW! I'm half tempted buy the Lincoln hat and beard but that's a bit tall for a concert and the beard would probably be annoying.

I actually went with ebay because I have a fat head and they had XL as a size. Total cost $8.64.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

i would do this if it werent' going to be one million degrees out there.

But you could fill it with dry ice and cut a hole in the top for visual effect.

is it weird that i think i might like the airing of grievances more than the monitor?
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

ok I just actually ordered an actual navy blue union kepi off of amazon. so I will have an actual hat. don't you fuckers let me down now.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Ransom View Post
    is it weird that i think i might like the airing of grievances more than the monitor?
    not at all. both are excellent albums. personally, the entire reason i liked this band in the first place was i felt like i got kicked in the face after hearing "titus andronicus". there's a little bit less of that on The Monitor.

Different strokes...

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    ok I just actually ordered an actual navy blue union kepi off of amazon. so I will have an actual hat. don't you fuckers let me down now.
    It's still on. I'm hoping that others are buying them and just not speaking up.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

Coachella Junkie psycobetabuckdown's Avatar

I love that the confederate kepi on Amazon is three dollars cheaper.

edit: well nm i guess they're all third party
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Death Cab for Cutie/Magik Magik Orchestra
    Radiohead
    some other bands

I bought The Airing of Grievances this weekend. The first song really sounded like it was from The Monitor and I questioned for a moment (this was 5:30 in the morning) if I had accidentally bought the album I already had. But no, it's different, and it's a hell of a lot of fun to listen to loudly when you're speeding along the interstate.

Tom, don't recall if you answered this before: are you going to the Okkervil/Titus show at the Rialto in Tucson in June? You ought to. (Incidentally, the other CD I bought at that very same trip to the store this weekend was Okkervil River's Down the River of Golden Dreams. That wasn't my intention when I walked into the store, that's just how things worked out.)
    It's like finding out an old high school buddy is on meth, and you're not sure if any of the rumors of him giving handies behind Burger King are true but they very likely could be.

You're right, I really ought to. but everyone in my house is going to be out of town that day so I would need to stay home and take care of the dog. The dog likes Okkervil River ok but hasn't been able to get into Titus Andronicus so much.

Too bad. Your loss!