Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: TomAz's Official, Ugly, Totally Threatening Titus Andronicus Misery Slog

Default Re: TomAz's Official, Ugly, Totally Threatening Titus Andronicus Misery Slog

I downloaded this album off of eMusic based on this thread, Tom. I usually listen to a lot of new music at work and it doesn't tend to make an impression but this did. I listened to it a few times this week and have liked it more with each new listen. Makes me want to go and buy the actual CD and pick up their first album while I'm at it.

BTW, to your gender question, I asked Jen if she's heard this album and she said that she's caught a couple of tracks and it's not really her thing.

Finally, some of the vocals reminded me of Conor Oberst, circa Lifted.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    It's like finding out an old high school buddy is on meth, and you're not sure if any of the rumors of him giving handies behind Burger King are true but they very likely could be.

Default Re: TomAz's Official, Ugly, Totally Threatening Titus Andronicus Misery Slog

Baby Yeah!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    I downloaded this album off of eMusic based on this thread, Tom. I usually listen to a lot of new music at work and it doesn't tend to make an impression but this did. I listened to it a few times this week and have liked it more with each new listen. Makes me want to go and buy the actual CD and pick up their first album while I'm at it.

BTW, to your gender question, I asked Jen if she's heard this album and she said that she's caught a couple of tracks and it's not really her thing.

Finally, some of the vocals reminded me of Conor Oberst, circa Lifted.
    I think the exact same thing every time I play the record
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

I hear less of that on this album than on The Airing of Grievances, where it was very pronounced. Truth be told, the reason I first took to Titus was because they sounded the way I wanted Bright Eyes to sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

He's basically Conor Oberst without being a whiny bitch. And he is way more punk rock. So he mostly just sounds kind of like Conor Oberst, because he isn't like him at all.

Desaparecidos.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Why is it that men seem to like this album more than women? I guess I don't know the genders of everyone posting in here, but I don't know of one single female who has said they like this album. Am I wrong?
    I was kind of thinking about this the other day, funny enough. My dude friends were all positively giddy at the prospect of their show, and we were just looking at them blankfaced and bemused. So yeah, not my bag at all.

Incidentally:

@foggynotions someone in Dublin bought tickets for Titus andronicus at Whelan's thinking it was a staging of the Shakespeare tragedy of the same name...

Ahh, just like Ned going to the Christian Rock concert?

"Well sir, I've never heard a preacher use the M.F. word so many times..."
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

They joked about guestlisting the guy, just to see what he made of it.

The fact that girls don't like Titus Andronicus is further proof that girls are irredeemably lame.

Yesterday I was in the mood, so I went for a drive, put in the Monitor, and turned up the volume really loud.

God that album is so good.

Want to see them so badly. They haven't been to Houston since early 2009 and I didn't have a chance to go to Austin to see them. They better come around here soon, or at least play a music festival I'm going to.

I don't get the Oberst comparisons at all. Oberst has that weak warble that is his trademark and Stickles doesn't have that at all. Stickles reminds me of Paul Westerberg at times though. esp on "Theme from Cheers".
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Coachella Junkie

The signer of Titus sounds pretty much identical to Oberst. And for the record, there's nothing punk about 8 minute songs about how unfair life is.

Yeah, when I was describing this album to my fiancee, I said "The singer kind of sounds like the punk rock Conor Oberst."

Tom, I think the singer from Titus does have Oberst's "weak warble," but because the music is so powerful, the warble doesn't seem so weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Yes, the singer sounds exactly like Oberst. It took me a few listens to get past that.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Interesting. Oberst bores the shit out of me but I guess I didn't listen to his albums more than maybe once or twice to hear the similarities. These guys remind me of a more talented Flogging Molly or Dropkick Murpheys type band except with fantastically written long ass epic sagas that show they have the quality and staying power of a Social Distortion with influences across the map from alt country to punk. I still haven't listened to the Airing of Grievances.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I, and I think most people, mean that he sounds like Oberst purely on a sonic level. How TA writes songs and how the singer sings them are pretty different, their vocal qualities are just very similar.

However, Desaparecidos was one project of Oberst's that was very high energy, somewhat gritty punk rock that sounds nothing like most of his other material that a lot more people might be able to get behind.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I, and I think most people, mean that he sounds like Oberst purely on a sonic level. How TA writes songs and how the singer sings them are pretty different, their vocal qualities are just very similar.
    What Drinkey said.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    Interesting. Oberst bores the shit out of me but I guess I didn't listen to his albums more than maybe once or twice to hear the similarities. These guys remind me of a more talented Flogging Molly or Dropkick Murpheys type band except with fantastically written long ass epic sagas that show they have the quality and staying power of a Social Distortion with influences across the map from alt country to punk. I still haven't listened to the Airing of Grievances.
    When he goes into the more screaming/throaty type vocals, he does kind of sound like the dude from Dropkick... I don't know where you find Flogging Molly or Social Distortion in their music/vocals though.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

richard II warms my freaking soul (clap, clap, clap)

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I don't get the Oberst comparisons at all. Oberst has that weak warble that is his trademark and Stickles doesn't have that at all. Stickles reminds me of Paul Westerberg at times though. esp on "Theme from Cheers".
    Tom,

<3,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    What Drinkey said.

When he goes into the more screaming/throaty type vocals, he does kind of sound like the dude from Dropkick... I don't know where you find Flogging Molly or Social Distortion in their music/vocals though.
    I was switching gears and not speaking of vocals directly there. I was talking more about the composition of the songs, the writing, lengths and bit of the style of Social D. Not that the singers sound the same.

I honestly just group Flogging Molly in with Dropkick Murphy's. I've seen Flogging Molly twice but i've never seen Dropkick so I shouldn't have even mentioned them.

Wheels Of Cheese

Yeah there is really no way you can argue he doesn't sound like Oberst.
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

I think of it as a Conor Oberst meets an angry Shane McGowan in a dark alley kind of sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    Conor Oberst meets an angry Shane McGowan in a dark alley
    Would pay money to see.

I guess I hear it on "Four Score and Seven". I still hear a lot more Westerberg. and McGowan, yeah.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I would like to give myself a warm welcome to the Misery Slog.

As I turn on The Monitor this morning I start reading COS and here it is. Titus gets nominated as Live Act of the Year!

http://consequenceofsound.net/2010/1...us-andronicus/

“…Without hyperbole, this is one of the best rock shows I’ve ever been to. I talked to the cab driver at length about the show on the way home in broken English (his, not mine, though my furious recap of the concert was probably pretty broken as well). And as I walked up to my stoop, I gave a fist pump to no one in particular and did a private little dance, which probably was, to say the least, awkward. But this afterglow is special and doesn’t happen often. It’s a unique moment in life when after you shower off the buckets of sweat from the show, you can still smell it, hear it, and for all intents and purposes, you are still there. Please, don’t ever leave.”

Understandably, concerts are unique experiences. Your favorite live act may be that cover band that plays Thursdays at Partners Bar and Grill because it’s a tradition and you have a personal connection to it. You may have proposed to your girlfriend at a Death Cab for Cutie show, and the two of you will never miss another Gibbard outing for the rest of your matrimonial lives. Who knows, you may even like orchestras. Additionally, there are countless variables that factor into enjoying a band live: venue, crowd, sound system, booze and drugs, mood — all of which I’m sure you’re well aware. Even more so than albums and songs, concerts have the ability to leave deep and long-lasting impressions on us.

I attended a haul of concerts this year. 90% of them were just incredible, which speaks to the lush fertility of music in 2010. We should be thankful we have stellar headliners like LCD Soundsystem and Gorillaz, intimate breath-takers like The Tallest Man On Earth and Joanna Newsom, and eager teeth-cutters like Warpaint and Twin Shadow. But no band more than Titus Andronicus defined the age-old concept of “going out to see a show.” A performance from Titus Andronicus is a full-on welcoming of entertainment and emotion, community and autonomy, rowdiness and arm-crossed observation. The band dredges the dregs from within the audience at the bar — or club or festival — and airs our collective insecurities loudly and furiously. They celebrate the coming together of people who, in some form or another, feel so utterly alone. There’s no better reason to go to a concert.

That quote above is lifted from a notepad I scrawled in after Titus Andronicus razed Chicago’s Subterranean Lounge last July. I was going to publish a short review of the show as part of the Pitchfork Festival Coverage, but it was too rambly, gushy, fanboy-ish, and, well, whatever. The point is, I scribbled this minutes after getting home from the show, and I think it accurately represents another aspect of what the band does to me: They turn me into a kid. I’m back in high school, careless and drunk at shows, pushing and shoving and sweating. So many bands derivatively sing about recapturing your youth but not Titus; they don’t need to. They bring out the rebellious youth in you who once felt and maybe still feels dissatisfied with his/her country, vices, and life outlook.

Regression and underlying philosophy aside, Titus Andronicus brings it live. Oftentimes, the band opens their show with lead singer Patrick Stickles quietly suggesting that we all should “make this the best night of our lives.” There’s no pretense of cool, not even a hint of irony or nervous awkward energy, just the immediacy and power of rock and roll. When the drums finally kick in on reliable opener “A More Perfect Union”, the better part of the crowd is transformed into a mass of movement. There’s not a soul at the show who is frightened to move, including rhythm guitarist Amy Klein, who bounces with a shit-eating grin on her face the entire time, serving as a constant reminder that the band enjoys the hell out of being up there. Punk is alive and well at their shows, where pitch is often suggested, guitar solos are sloppy, but the message is always crystal clear.

So whether you read Horkheimer and Adorno or High Times, and whether you’re into Shakespeare or getting shit-faced, or whether you’re a bleeding heart liberal or a staunch republican, you’ve found the band that will toast to you, American citizen. “You will always be a loser, and that’s okay.” Titus Andronicus can bring together these people — any people — to rally around the flag of music, of the human experience, and of America.

If you look at it this way, the chants of “USA! USA!” make a lot more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    As I turn on The Monitor this morning I start reading COS and here it is. Titus gets nominated as Live Act of the Year!

http://consequenceofsound.net/2010/1...us-andronicus/

thats the first video of them that I've heard that actually sounded good. dear lord I need to see these guys
    Shannon and the Clams - The Chapel - SF Feb 1st
    DJ Shadow (DJ set) - The Independent - SF Feb 22
    TOOL - Bill Graham Civic - SF March 12th
    Sleep - Cocoanut Grove - Santa Cruz March 22nd
    Neutral Milk Hotel - The Fox Oakland - Oakland April 9th
    The Knife - The Fox Oakland - Oakland April 16th

They sure as fuck better be playing in Indio next april.

9/6 Salva @ TBA
    9/17 DJ Earl @ Low End Theory
    9/18 Gaslamp Killer @ Mayan
    9/22 Interpol @ Fox Pomona
    9/25 Simian Mobile Disco @ El Rey