Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: TomAz's Official, Ugly, Totally Threatening Titus Andronicus Misery Slog

Default Re: TomAz's Official, Ugly, Totally Threatening Titus Andronicus Misery Slog

Tom, I think I agree with your greater idea about the development of the theme of the music without necessarily focusing it on war as a specific. I think so much of the Monitor is about stepping back and realizing that, even in the most extreme of situations, the most blunt of thought is never going to serve you most effectively. The idea that if you attack something with a broad sword, you're going to lop off more than you can chew. I think they intended to add nuance and depth as the narrator gets further into the complexity of emotional development and societal discomfit.

And I think this is a top 5 of the year album without a doubt. I knew I'd love it, I knew it'd take awhile, and I'm glad I've finally caught up to the album in terms of my listening.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Default Re: TomAz's Official, Ugly, Totally Threatening Titus Andronicus Misery Slog

this album is so awesome...but I've only listened to it twice so far, so i am so far unable to revel in its full glory...I look forward to spending much more time with it

thanks for pointing us all in the right direction
    '99-'11...

I've probably listened to the album about 10 times in the last week. I had to go out to buy the record today because it's so damn addicting.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

i have to go buy it as soon as possible...I think I love literally every second of it
    '99-'11...

I wish I could go back to hearing it again for the first time. I'm pretty sure I texted Bryan for no reason other than to tell him how good it was.

This record killed me the first time through. "Can it really be THIS good?" I have spent the last month quietly listening and absorbing, allowing my brain time to process and interpret. This period has confirmed what I felt the first time I heard The Monitor: this record fucking slays. Indescribable joy.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

I don't feel uncomfortable describing it as a modern classic. I think its stature will grow with time.

Coachella Junkie

Eh.

It's a fucking killer punk rock record. I think its ambition will do it some favors down the line.

speaking of ambition.

Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

i'd like to put this in the running for my funeral song (assuming there is one when i demise)

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I think The Monitor does as much for me now as London Calling did 30 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    I don't feel uncomfortable describing it as a modern classic.
    I think we are saying the exact same thing here.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I think we are saying the exact same thing here.
    True that Tom. True that.

I think The Monitor does as much for me now as London Calling did 30 years ago. I am not kidding.
    I downloaded this album first thing after reading this quote thinking "damn, that's a heavy statement." and I have to say its lived up to that hype easily. This is the most awesome, most charged, and overall most brilliant record I've listened to in a long fuckin time.
    Shannon and the Clams - The Chapel - SF Feb 1st
    DJ Shadow (DJ set) - The Independent - SF Feb 22
    TOOL - Bill Graham Civic - SF March 12th
    Sleep - Cocoanut Grove - Santa Cruz March 22nd
    Neutral Milk Hotel - The Fox Oakland - Oakland April 9th
    The Knife - The Fox Oakland - Oakland April 16th

I can easily say that Titus Andronicus is the best band of this era. One of the handful of bands I listen to that isn't from the past.

He's just 18 for now but he's going to murder us all.

He's just 18 for now but he's going to murder us all.
    the drop after "is there a soul on this earth that isn't too frightened to move" might be my favorite moment in the whole album.

As long as we are talking, let me take the opportunity to thank all the good people who have offered to put us up during our forthcoming UK travels. We still have a few holes, though - we desperately need shelter in NEWCASTLE, SHEFFIELD, and CORK! Can you help please? Let me remind you, that if you agree to invite us to yr house as yr guest, YOU will be invited to the show as OUR guest, that is, FOR FREE! You can bring a couple friends too. What a deal! Please e-mail TitusAndronicusTheBand@Gmail.com if you can help.

Okay, great! That's all for today - you guys take care now.

Yr friend,
    Patrick
    how cool would that be?

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Quote Originally Posted by seyrnon View Post
    the drop after "is there a soul on this earth that isn't too frightened to move" might be my favorite moment in the whole album.
    I love that part.

I wonder how they are live these days. Youtube is hardly a good judge and I know people who live in the NE who claim they are absolutely terrible live and I've seen a youtube or two that i've cringed watching and listening to.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    I wonder how they are live these days. Youtube is hardly a good judge and I know people who live in the NE who claim they are absolutely terrible live and I've seen a youtube or two that i've cringed watching and listening to.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I've seen them at two fests and two club shows, and they've always been excellent. Their 2008 Pitchfork set was extraordinarily memorable, as they played one of the songs from the new one (the one where Your life is over!) during a pretty decent rain as Patrick ran around the stage flying this old school US flag:

It was so fucking badass, and not long after The Airing of Grievances came out. Andrew, Jeff and I also saw them open for No Age at the Troubadour, and Andrew and I saw them at the Bootleg on this tour. Fucking great live act.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    I love that part.

yeah
    all the youtube I've seen has been shit but there "for no one" performance of Battle was pretty great if you ask me

The murder capital where we murder for capital

I trust the bmack opinion. I really want to see these guys. This could be a fun Coachella meetup set if it happens.

They are amazing live. I have seen them three times now, and they were fantastic each time.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

they were really good at FYF. Huge turn out during a very hot day though. i definitely want to see them in a smaller venue
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I've heard only great things myself about them live.

I want to see them so badly but they haven't been here this year, and I got into them with "the Monitor" (fantastic album) so I haven't had a chance.

I've only seen them at the echo and at FYF, but they were both great, Point is you should see them

Why is it that men seem to like this album more than women? I guess I don't know the genders of everyone posting in here, but I don't know of one single female who has said they like this album. Am I wrong?

I recommended the album to a friend from high school and she loves it. Or so she says.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Your life is over
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

Why is it that men seem to like this album more than women? I guess I don't know the genders of everyone posting in here, but I don't know of one single female who has said they like this album. Am I wrong?
    I like them as a band very much but I haven't given this album a fair shake because on first listen or two I much preferred The Airing of Grievances.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?