Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: TomAz's Official, Ugly, Totally Threatening Titus Andronicus Misery Slog

Default Re: TomAz's Official, Ugly, Totally Threatening Titus Andronicus Misery Slog

I never wanted to change the world, but I'm looking for a new New Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Default Re: TomAz's Official, Ugly, Totally Threatening Titus Andronicus Misery Slog

Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to die.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to die.
    (awesome guitar lick)

the video of "Battle of Hampton Roads" on Consequence is pretty sick
    http://consequenceofsound.net/2010/1...-cos-premiere/
    Shannon and the Clams - The Chapel - SF Feb 1st
    DJ Shadow (DJ set) - The Independent - SF Feb 22
    TOOL - Bill Graham Civic - SF March 12th
    Sleep - Cocoanut Grove - Santa Cruz March 22nd
    Neutral Milk Hotel - The Fox Oakland - Oakland April 9th
    The Knife - The Fox Oakland - Oakland April 16th

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Tom, thank you. I am listening to this album for the first time and i'm enjoying it right off the bat and I never heard of them until this thread. A Pot in Which to Piss is an epic.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    And so now when I drink, Iím going to drink to excess,
    And when I smoke, I will smoke gaping holes in my chest,
    And when I scream, I will scream until Iím gasping for breath,
    And when I get sick, I will stay sick for the rest
    Of my days peddling hate out the back of a Chevy Express,
    Each one a fart in the face of your idea of success.
    And if this be thy will, then fucking pass me the cup,
    And Iím sorry, Dad, no, Iím not making this up.
    Oh man, all 14 minutes of this song are full of awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    That album floored me so hard when it leaked that I listened to it again immediately after finishing it. It's easily my favorite album of the year. I think I commented after their first album that they are the closest thing my generation is going to have to our version of the Replacements, and this album cemented that fact.
    The Mats thing is exactly what I told my friend after listening to the first tracks off of the album. Titus Andronicus is one of the few current bands that I can listen to.

Album is amazing. I just started listening to it again the other day and I cant stop listening now. I forgot how great it was.

I really really want to see them live. I've heard very very good things about their live show. Their last tour didnt come here though and they havent been playing many festivals besides pitchfork and fyf fest it seems like

Yeah I've seen them a couple of times, and trust me the festival is no place to see them. I would see them anyday at a fest, but you really have to make it to one of their shows.

Hopefully this is true.
    Translation

Rufus Wainwright @ Stern Grove 07/27/14
    Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

I've seen them at two fests and two club shows, and they've always been excellent. Their 2008 Pitchfork set was extraordinarily memorable, as they played one of the songs from the new one (the one where Your life is over!) during a pretty decent rain as Patrick ran around the stage flying this old school US flag:

It was so fucking badass, and not long after The Airing of Grievances came out. Andrew, Jeff and I also saw them open for No Age at the Troubadour, and Andrew and I saw them at the Bootleg on this tour. Fucking great live act.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I'm waiting for the one live show where crowd/band/energy/location all click and its the most fucking awesome show I've ever seen. Because they have it in them.

Woh. Hold up the misery slog. I listened to The Monitor today. I had never heard a single song from these guys... and this album is fucking fantastic. It seriously struck all the right chords with me. I don't know why I waited so long to listen to these guy.

THE ENEMY IS EVERYWHERE!
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Wheels Of Cheese

I have a shirt with that design. I'm not gonna lie, it FEELS bad ass.
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

thestripe

I'm starting to buy the hype this thread is sell'n.

I'm listening to the live album they were selling on the last tour and it's so damn killer. It should have been longer since it only has 6 songs, but the songs they play are all pretty damn killer. There's a cover of Roadrunner to close it out.

They played "Roadrunner" last time I saw them. They all were smiling and looking like they were having the time of their lives playing that tune.

Where was that at?

The Independent. A little over a month ago. Here in SF.

they played a really great show at the trunk space in early september. I was bummed to be back in phoenix bc i was going to miss fyf the next day and happily found they were playing this show the night before. i had casually enjoyed both the airing of grievances and the monitor but was pretty blown away by how intensely connected a lot of the crowd was to this band. definitely recommend checking them out. my only knock was that they kept playing for hours and i had stopped recognizing songs but then again its hard to fault a band for playing 2+ hours for a crowd of 100 past midnight in phoenix, az.

Trunk Space? That venue doesn't even hold 100! I'm so pissed I didn't start listening to this band sooner. As much as I will enjoy them if they do play Coachella, that's not going to make up for missing them play in such a tiny venue.

I'm at the end of my rope...

... and I feel like swingin'
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Woh. Hold up the misery slog. I listened to The Monitor today. I had never heard a single song from these guys... and this album is fucking fantastic. It seriously struck all the right chords with me. I don't know why I waited so long to listen to these guy.

THE ENEMY IS EVERYWHERE!
    Welcome.

I had this daydream yesterday of them playing the Mojave around 4pm or so and the whole fucking tent singing "it's alright, the way that you live, it's alright the way that you live..". It would be such a beautiful thing. Maybe I should have posted that in the dorkiest thing thread.

I love your vision, Tom. I heard somewhere recently the someone talked to one of the guys in Titus and they said that they are playing. So, we are one step closer to making your daydream come true. I imagine it would also be quite fun to sing along to "You will always, be a loser. You will always be a loser...."

Also, the lyrics for the Battle of Hampton really get me. Holy shit.
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

And when I smoke I will smoke keep it in hold it in my chest
    And when I scream I will scream until im gasping for breath
    And when I get sick I will stay sick for the rest of my
    Days peddling hate at the back of a chevy express
    Each one will fly into the face of your idea of success
    And if this be thy will then fuckin' pass me the cup
    And im sorry dad, no I'm not making this up!

YOU WILL ALWAYS BE A LOSER YOU WILL ALWAYS BE A LOSER YOU WILL ALWAYS BE A LOSER ...AND THAT'S OK!

I've been listening to The Monitor in bits and pieces every now and then for the last couple months but after reading some of the lyrics in this thread I've decided to give it a more concerted effort.

I have just today developed a new theory about this album. I am wary of reading meaning where there is none, but I suspect I might be somewhere near to something with this. If you all have already figured this out, go ahead and tell me I'm slow.

The Monitor starts out all punk rock and ends much more elaborate and expansive, we know that. Much (all?) of the album's theme is war and war is hell and the human condition and how we kill each other. Right?

So my theory is the song progression -- the programming -- on the album is meant to mimic the process from how wars get started to how they end. (this may be too literal a reading so forgive me that). Wars start because people are angry at each other. The Monitor starts with angry music in which the protagonist declares he is prepared to die for his cause ("I'm just looking for a new New Jersey / cuz tramps like us baby we were born to die"). and you know roughly the first third of the album is in this same vein.

but then it shifts tone, lyrically and musically. The lyrics become more self-doubting and the music becomes less angry and more expansive, more inclusive.

Fast forward to the end of the album -- great huge dramatic music, with a martial beat and bagpipes. And it struck me today, this is a soldier's funeral. This is Arlington cemetery music.

Now I know The Monitor is not as literally about war as I've described here .. a lot of it is analogy, using the civil war as a reference point for modern angst .. but still. I think this is part of the story.

and I'm really frustrated because I am so ineloquent about music I love so forgive me.

If you could explain it in pure text then why would there be music to begin with?

And, as with an earlier post in this thread, I do agree that TA would be a really enjoyable late afternoon set for Coachella.