Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brian Eno

Default Brian Eno

If anyone deserves their own thread, it's Brian Eno. From contributing to the best artglampunk material Roxy Music ever released to his own avant-pop masterpieces to serving as godfather of ambient music to shaping some of the best albums by one of the most famous and critically acclaimed rock stars in existence to producing countless seminal bands to releasing a deck of cards intended to inspire and shape creativity in unexpected ways to compiling one of rock's most forward thinking and abrasive micro-scenes to collaborating with other legendary musicians and more and more and more, there's no doubt the man has shaped modern popular music more than any other individual.

He's got a new album coming out on Warp and the first track to pop up from that is a very exciting taste indeed http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/...orms-of-anger/

Default Re: Brian Eno

Pure genius! The records he put out way back were simply way ahead of the curve. Taking Tiger Mountain 74' & Another Green World 75' & Before And After Science 77' are some of my favorite records that were made in the 70's. Can't wait to hear his new one on Warp.

St. Elmo's Fire off of Another Green World is one of my favorite songs of all time and Low(which Eno played a big part creating) is my favorite David Bowie album. The Talking Heads' Remain In Light (produced, mixed and featuring Eno) is also brillant. There are sooo many albums and songs to talk about. Eno is the man.

More proof of Eno's greatness: http://pitchfork.com/features/interv...875-brian-eno/

And some of the other structuring ideas are completely conceptual in the sense that I might say, "Imagine it's the year 2064 and all digital music has been destroyed in a huge digital accident, an electromagnetic pulse or something like that. So, all we know about the music between 2010 or 2030 is hearsay. There don't exist any recordings. We've read about a kind of music that existed in the suburbs of Shanghai in 2015 to 2018, and this music was played on--" then you specify a group of instruments-- "was played on, say, industrial tools, such as steel hammers, and augmented with samplers and various electronic versions of some Chinese instruments. And it was intensely repetitive and played at ear-splitting volume," for example. So, we then, taking that brief, try to imagine what that music would be like, and we try to make it.
    Last edited by SoulDischarge; 11-01-2010 at 04:28 PM.

eno and reich are gods among men

his work with Karl Hyde on Pure Scenius! is pretty brilliant. haven't listened to anything new since then
    Rhythm is a dancer.

it fucking peeves me when lazy journalists say Eno invented ambient music.

It's just much easier to say Eno invented ambient music, rather than have to explain there was a historical evolution involving many different people leading up to Eno's ambient experiments. I agree, lazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

I mean... Even the wikipedia article covers the bare minimum from the 20s-70s.

edit: i got two PMs about this comment. i might try and nail down a primer once this semester is over.
    Last edited by wmgaretjax; 11-01-2010 at 05:46 PM.

I'd be interested in that. However, in this article, it didn't come off so much ignorant as blind. The guy seemed like an intense Eno fan who knows everything about the guy but nothing about his influences.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

It just seemed like shorthand to convey how important Eno was in bringing the "idea of ambient" into the mainstream. He probably could have worded it better but as a journalist, I'd imagine the point is to be as concise as possible.

And it's an interesting fucking interview, goddammit, so talk about that.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    It just seemed like shorthand to convey how important Eno was in bringing the "idea of ambient" into the mainstream. He probably could have worded it better but as a journalist, I'd imagine the point is to be as concise as possible.
    I don't think so. It seemed to me an obvious misconception. And it is one that occurs far too often. Eno gets way more credit in this realm than he deserves.

But you are right, all things considered it's a great interview (despite the neglect on the part of the interviewer that Bryan highlighted).

Yeah, I read a quote from it that I absolutely loved:

The idea that the computer is a completely neutral device that doesn't have a personality of its own and just liberates you to do anything you want-- it's complete cock. You just make different music on a computer. And you can make wonderful music on a computer, but don't pretend that the machinery is transparent. It makes as much difference to what you're doing as it does if you play an acoustic guitar as opposed to a kettledrum. You're not going to make the same music.

the first paragraph of that interview refrences "brilliant work by... Coldplay". fail.

what do people think of Neroli? it's so simple and yet fascinating. minimalism at its best.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

How about Tangerine Dream? I wonder if they still perform live.

they played a show in london this year.

Was watching the Lovely Bones last night thinking the music in this film is awesome. The credits roll and what do you know, music by Brian Eno.
    2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Cookieman908 View Post
    How about Tangerine Dream? I wonder if they still perform live.
    What does this have to do with Brian Eno?
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

Where would one begin with Brian Eno?
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Wake me up when Steve Angello wants me to make some fucking noise

For Your Pleasure by Roxy Music. Start there, move forward. That's the last Roxy he was on, then he started his solo career.

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Wake me up when Steve Angello wants me to make some fucking noise

thestripe

i like the new LP.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Thanks
    To clarify this, now that I've got a bit of time on my hands:

For Your Pleasure is the best thing Eno did with Roxy Music. He did keys and experimentation on the album, and it gets fairly weird in a way they never really did again. That being said, it's not his band and he's not leading. It's a great intro to him because it shows him bristling against working as a regular rock musician.
    If you want the best Eno solo album to start with, there are three different ones to go to. Here Come the Warm Jets is his first work, and it's a really enjoyable record. He writes pop/rock songs, but in a skewed and slightly off fashion. It's a catchy record, and accessible enough to be a good place to start with his solo work.
    The second place is Another Green World, his best song-based album. It takes the basic stuff from Here Come The Warm Jets, adds better songwriting, more fluid sound and less formal structure. It's a breathtaking album with some stellar guitar work, really lush tones and fantastic song after fantastic song. This'd be the place I'd recommend to most people, as it's his best work and it'll make you want to hear more.
    Finally, Music for Airports. It's his first ambient release, and it's one of the first widely recognized ambient work. As it's an ambient work, it's going to sound very different from his rock-based stuff; full of slow lush synth tones that don't really develop so much as hover and swirl and shift. It's a beautiful album, and very nice.

He also played on both Low and "Heroes" as well as acting as a co-writer with Bowie, and he was an unofficial fifth member of the Talking Heads on three of their best works.

I checked out his "1,000,000 paintings by Brian Eno" exhibit last month when it was in town. Cooooooooool. I will not explain the display, as I am not an art critic, but it was really really neat. Essentially a visual manifestation of his minimalist music.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Your stupid

You people should be sure not to skim over that interview with Dick Flash of Pork magazine. It may be too subtle for some of you, but it's good.

Apparently it's far too subtle for a lot of people, the comments on various postings about how rude that "Dick Flash guy" was to Brian Eno are pretty wonderful.

Was drunk watching Roxy videos on Youtube last night and Eno made me larf hard with his quirky stage antics and beauty (forty-two second mark):

Roxy with Eno (good luck), Eno solo, or Roxy for 2012 and I'll go.
    100% Caffeinated