Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Poverty Thread

Default Re: The Poverty Thread

Well then, the solution is to work harder and get out of the situation you're in.

I crashed out of college after 2yrs and ended up packing bags in a Supermarket. I copped on pretty quickly that I wasn't going anywhere doing that and worked to get back into college and graduate. I got my first 'real' job but learned that it wouldn't provide long term growth so I upped and got another job after 6mos. From there I've moved twice to get better positions and now I'm in the job I like.

You need to make sacrifices to get ahead and sometimes that means moving on and sometimes that means leaving people behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    I don't drink coffee. Some times I drink tea from teabags at home. I buy lunch for a week and leave it in the fridge at work. I usually try to cook for myself, but with my limited time, cooking skills, and budget, it usually ends up being spaghetti for weeks at a time. I have a filtered water pitcher and refill the same bottle of water at work for a month at a time from the water fountain. So basically, yes, I conserve where I can. More or less, I mostly break even and often enough have enough extra for minor luxuries. The only thing is if anything unexpected happens in my life (I get sick, I need new contacts, I have to take my cat to the vet, etc.) I'm set back financially for a month or so. We've already determined this is just spoiled kid whinging. Still, the prospect of living hand to mouth for the next 40 years is rather bleak. I'd like to think I'm clever enough to escape that some day, but realistically . . . I make threads like this.
    kill the cat
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

We've already determined this is just spoiled kid whinging.
    whingeing. with an e.
    Last edited by amyzzz; 10-08-2010 at 12:46 PM. Reason: whoops, added the quote
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    Well then, the solution is to work harder and get out of the situation you're in.

I crashed out of college after 2yrs and ended up packing bags in a Supermarket. I copped on pretty quickly that I wasn't going anywhere doing that and worked to get back into college and graduate. I got my first 'real' job but learned that it wouldn't provide long term growth so I upped and got another job after 6mos. From there I've moved twice to get better positions and now I'm in the job I like.

You need to make sacrifices to get ahead and sometimes that means moving on and sometimes that means leaving people behind.
    In all reality, I'm pretty ok with where I'm at right now. I need to learn to temper my whining impulses and not share my problems with a bunch of internet strangers. I just don't have many people to talk with, and shared misery soothes the psyche. Although I also think it's insane that there's people out there who complain about getting taxed a little more on their $250,000/yr income when smart, capable, hard-working people like me have to go into a total panic over how they're going to cover the basic costs of living on a weekly basis.

Anyway, I'm at a pretty good company as far as retail goes with a decent wage and good benefits and a few opportunities for growth should I choose to pursue them. After the botched attempt at film school and then a year of unemployment, I kind of just want to take it easy for a couple of years right now and live a relatively simple life before figuring out what kind of career I might want to pursue. I'll probably never get loaned a single cent ever again in my life since I've defaulted on some pretty massive student loans, but hopefully I can find a way to get ahead a little when I decide on some kind of path or whatever it is I'm supposed to be doing with my life.

We can discuss actual poverty in here instead of just letting this be a humiliating bitchfest. Or not.

old school

I won $20 on a $2 cheers scratch ticket at lunch. I bought vodka and laughed in the face of poverty.

What kind of vodka? For $20, you can get two these:

old school

I got shooters of Absolute because they had a special along with a lemonade rockstar. I had enough left over for an 8 pack of spicy nugs from Chikfillah.

Quote Originally Posted by J~$$$$ View Post
    I got shooters of Absolute because they had a special along with a lemonade rockstar. I had enough left over for an 8 pack of spicy nugs from Chikfillah.
    I picked up some nugs at the store today, but I am thinking they are not going to be spicy.
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

old school

omg lol.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

In all reality, I'm pretty ok with where I'm at right now. I need to learn to temper my whining impulses and not share my problems with a bunch of internet strangers. I just don't have many people to talk with, and shared misery soothes the psyche. Although I also think it's insane that there's people out there who complain about getting taxed a little more on their $250,000/yr income when smart, capable, hard-working people like me have to go into a total panic over how they're going to cover the basic costs of living on a weekly basis.

Anyway, I'm at a pretty good company as far as retail goes with a decent wage and good benefits and a few opportunities for growth should I choose to pursue them. After the botched attempt at film school and then a year of unemployment, I kind of just want to take it easy for a couple of years right now and live a relatively simple life before figuring out what kind of career I might want to pursue. I'll probably never get loaned a single cent ever again in my life since I've defaulted on some pretty massive student loans, but hopefully I can find a way to get ahead a little when I decide on some kind of path or whatever it is I'm supposed to be doing with my life.

We can discuss actual poverty in here instead of just letting this be a humiliating bitchfest. Or not.
    What we should be doing is humiliating people in actual poverty, per the inherent expectations created by this thread.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Apparently it's still considered assault to throw large rocks at all people, regardless of how poor and hideous and crack-addled they are. Otherwise, I'd be onboard.

Apparently it's still considered assault to throw large rocks at all people, regardless of how poor and hideous and crack-addled they are. Otherwise, I'd be onboard.
    If we take inspiration from that great vulture, we realize good things come to those who wait! Stay strong brother and hoard rocks.
    Wow, 12 step meetings at Coachella, who knew? SOBERCHELLA.COM

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case....

I run the football pool at work. This comes in handy those last few days before payday. Lunch money!!!!

Coachella Junkie

I'm down to triple digits in my checking account and it's making me very nervous. True story.

old school

Fuck that reminds me I need to get back to the liquor store to throw down $4 my football squares. I may thrown down more just to prove cancer wrong.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Are you currently living in downtown Chicago? Is a roommate or an apartment in a nearby suburb something that might help? Do you have a ton of debt, will bankruptcy be any relief? I've been living super cheap for a few years now but I kinda moved to AZ because the cost of living in Chicago was double what I ending up paying for an apartment out here. I'm 35 and make a miserable wage for my age and experience and still manage to travel the world because I have roommates, a paid off car, cheap car insurance, bills split with roommates and zero credit card debt. I recently got a student loan but that's about it. I manage to go to school, work and travel/go to concerts. I do the things you do as well, I spend about $50 a week on groceries and cook every meal and bring it to work. This has really helped with eating better too. Whenever I want something I always buy used as well. Craigslist is great for household necessities like desks, dressers and electronics.

I pay $333 for rent. I find Chicago to be insanely affordable, especially after living in Southern California. I have a friend in Akron who pays almost twice as much as I do for a smaller space in a shittier part of the country. Seriously. My bitching has shaky foundation at best.

We just found out that it's gonna cost 3200 to fix my husbands car. We're fucked for the month. If you have to make a choice should you opt to pay credit cards or your mortgage?

It's been a shitty 4 days. We discovered on Tuesday that Jim's commission had been cut in half. I'm drinking my stress away.

"Whingey" would be a good board title for you, Patrick.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    We just found out that it's gonna cost 3200 to fix my husbands car. We're fucked for the month. If you have to make a choice should you opt to pay credit cards or your mortgage?

It's been a shitty 4 days. We discovered on Tuesday that Jim's commission had been cut in half. I'm drinking my stress away.
    Mortgage, always. Maslows hierarchy of needs and all.
    Wow, 12 step meetings at Coachella, who knew? SOBERCHELLA.COM

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case....

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

See? This is precisely the kind of thing that we should be making fun of.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    "Whingey" would be a good board title for you, Patrick.
    Not even touching this one.

Coachella Junkie

I pay $333 for rent.
    Hahahahhahhahhahhhhahha

Fuck you.

See? This is precisely the kind of thing that we should be making fun of.
    I'll have a giant whiteboard up for that sort of thing at the yacht party later. You coming?

I would probably pay the credit card bill because they will rape you in fees and increase your finance percentage to like 20% if you are late. Your mortgage will let you be a month late before it shows up on your credit. Just make sure you catch it up or they will auction off your house.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

I'm starting to feel pretty awesome about my life. This thread works.

Coachella Junkie

As far as I can tell they'll auction off your house whether you've been paying or not.

I'm going to buy it so I have somewhere to keep my Jimmy Choos.

I only have two payments left on my car but I one payment behind since getting laid off. They call me to remind me that I am late once a week. If I don't answer the phone they call my work phone which I am forced to answer since that is my job... I have to explain each time why I am late. Do they not type this shit into the computer? Yes sir, I know I am late, I will be making the payment on the 20th, just like I told you last week... Well sir, I am late because I was laid off from my job and then broke my leg and wasn't able to even look for work for two months. Yes sir, I am working now... Yes sir, I do know I only owe 2 more payments and it really would be a shame for you to repo my car now. UGH!!! Every fucking week.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.