Thread: Biking to the Polo Fields

Default Biking to the Polo Fields

Has anyone ever attempted to ride their bike from Coachella/***** to the polo grounds and lock it up? I was wondering if this may be a better alternitive to waiting in those horrific traffic lines. Any knowledge or advice is welcome!
    Last edited by kill_buddha; 01-26-2007 at 04:10 AM.

Default Re: Biking to the Polo Fields

Your bike would probably get jacked.... or messed with somehow... but it might be just fine too, and you def will get there before anyone in a car.

The last thing your going to want to do after walking around coachella all day is get on a bike and ride miles back to where ever your staying

Yeah, I highly highly doubt your bike will ever be found again if you decide to ride it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Days Last View Post
    Yeah, I highly highly doubt your bike will ever be found again if you decide to ride it there.
    Well I am not planning on bringing my road bike - just an old junker fixed gear i can lock up somewhere.

DOES ANYONE HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH THIS?

your bike would probably be fine. lock it up in the parking lot, attached to the giant black fence that surrounds the festival grounds...the most adventurous would say "if I can google map it, I can bike it!"

the problem is how far away you are coming from. There are no Swedish style happy bike trails in California sub-divisions. Indio is a series of vacant lots, fast food joints, stop lights and mini-malls, so you will be either biking over curbs on the sidewalk or competing with thousands of crazed festival goers in cars + traffic cops at major intersections. You can't bike on the freeway either...;-)

after being at a show for 12 hours do you really want to strap on the orange vest and pedal home? Camp!

I have taken my bike to grounds the last 2 years.....got tired of sitting the parking lot.....Just bring a lock and find some fence. Last year we pulled up and locked up...no other bikes..when we left...bikes all the way down the fence. One year the fence was behind the polo-horse hitches. We locked our bikes to the hitches that year.

I've seen like 2 people ride their bikes there but i dont know what happen. But you can always do this. There are some neighborhoods before or around the polo grounds you can always park in the neighborhoods and just walk to the polo grounds.
    SomewhatDAMAGEDx

I would just be careful about riding your bike at night.

Quote Originally Posted by antpeople View Post
    I have taken my bike to grounds the last 2 years.....got tired of sitting the parking lot.....Just bring a lock and find some fence. Last year we pulled up and locked up...no other bikes..when we left...bikes all the way down the fence. One year the fence was behind the polo-horse hitches. We locked our bikes to the hitches that year.

Thanks for the advice and PM! Did you guys stay at the offsite camping down the road or park and ride? I'm wondering because we are staying in palm springs and I'd like to find an area to park and ride.

I'm bumping this thread even though it's over a year old. I'm thinking I want to try biking this year to avoid the end-of-the-night parking headache. Is this a bad idea?

I'm staying in a house that's 1.3 miles away from the festival grounds, so I could always walk, but it seems like biking would be quicker and more fun.

The local bike shops I called offer basic one-speed cruiser bikes for 4-7 day rentals for $65, sometimes plus $25-30 for delivery. That sort of seems like a lot considering that you can buy a bike from Walmart for less than that. Not that I want to be supporting Walmart.

So um, any thoughts or suggestions? Any locals want to rent/sell me your old bike for cheap?

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    I'm bumping this thread even though it's over a year old. I'm thinking I want to try biking this year to avoid the end-of-the-night parking headache. Is this a bad idea?

I'm staying in a house that's 1.3 miles away from the festival grounds, so I could always walk, but it seems like biking would be quicker and more fun.

The local bike shops I called offer basic one-speed cruiser bikes for 4-7 day rentals for $65, sometimes plus $25-30 for delivery. That sort of seems like a lot considering that you can buy a bike from Walmart for less than that. Not that I want to be supporting Walmart.

So um, any thoughts or suggestions? Any locals want to rent/sell me your old bike for cheap?
    hey, im thinking about doing this same thing! our hotel is about 2.5 miles from the festival, and none of us like the idea of driving back at night, so we thought bringing our bikes would be a good idea. i just wonder if there will be a place to lock them up...

did you guys just bump the thread and not READ it?

<------------------
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

i read the thread, but all i got out of it was that people have locked their bikes to a fence and a horse hitch before. i was just wondering if there was any official bike locking place, since a chain link fence is really easy to cut through if somebody wanted to take my bike.

and courtney was asking about renting/buying a bike, which was never answered in this thread, which makes me wonder, did YOU even read this thread before making your smart ass comment?

yes darling
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

i have a crush on psychic friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Is there any talk about having bike racks or a designated area?

'Cuz last year there was a bit of traffic jam with the bikes. A couple people had to wait, because some douche locked a bike in such a way that they couldn't get to theirs.

Even better than biking to Coachella.....biking in Coachella, Sahara to main stage in about a minute

I wrote a letter to the Polo Fields and to Golden Voice, about 6 months ago, asking for bike racks...so, I am sure if PF said it, it will come true. Finally a bike rack.

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    yes darling

I thought there was already bike racks.

I know multiple people who have biked into the festival.
    New York Ice Cream TV Travel Good Times