View Poll Results: Do you think The Smiths are overated?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Overated...

41 53.95%
  • The band to end all bands...

35 46.05%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Smiths

Default The Smiths

I think they are overated. I like Morissey but they are not THAT good of a band to warrent rumores every year. I would much rather see like Portishead,Smashing Pumpkins,TooL,The Specials maybe even the Police!
    Ive got the demons in me, Ive got to brush them all away.......

Default Re: The Smiths

Id LOVE to see The Specials added. The original line up too.
    However, I dont listen to that much of the Smiths. So I cant tell you if they are over rated or not.
    But considering thier cult-like status, I do think it warrants rumours every year. It would be huge news if they got back together.

never saw the attraction...too whiny
    We're not becoming friends

Are you referring to Anna Nicole Smith?
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

I was never a fan of The Smiths.

You need some middle ground on this poll, I think they are overated, but they were still really good and influencial.

The Smiths were very important to me when I was 18. I wish I could've seen them then, although I did get to see Morrissey solo live several times. I would very much like to see this reunion, without the drummer, if need be. I think he sued Moz several times for royalties.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by apachedino View Post
    You need some middle ground on this poll, I think they are overated, but they were still really good and influencial.
    ditto
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

no middle ground sucks....

but they are one of my favorite bands and i <3 morrissey, so i voted "the band to end all bends" .... even though i wouldn't put them THAT high.

This is the most nonsensical poll ever.

"Please rank this band/movie/object/concept/ect on a scale of 1 to 10."

"7"

"Sorry, you can only choose 3 and 11"

The Smiths were extremely good. Probably in my top 20 of all time. There is no such thing as a "Band to end all bands". What does that even mean?

saying you rather see the no-talent fucking smashing pumpkins is pretty much sac-religious if you ask me.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

The Smiths have NO TALENT! Morrisey whines like a bitch! I do like his stance on social issues and he is a good lyricist but the band as a whole is AWFULL!!

Quote Originally Posted by I'm Rosetta Stoned View Post
    The Smiths have NO TALENT! Morrisey whines like a bitch! I do like his stance on social issues and he is a good lyricist but the band as a whole is AWFULL!!
    Even if they're not to your liking, a statement like that shows a complete ignorance of musical history. The Smiths changed the face of music in the early '80s, from Morrissey's lyrics to Johnny Marr's guitar playing to the band's relationship with its fans to their lack of promo videos to their dedication to indie label Rough Trade. Even if I weren't a fan, there are certain aspects of their history and the effect they had on a whole generation of fans that can't really be disputed. For such an awful, overrated band, they certainly have an unusually dedicated fan base, especially since they haven't released an album in twenty years.

I'm a huge Smiths fan, but this isn't about you picking on one of my favorite bands. It's about the complete idiocy of the statement you made. If you're going to come at a band with criticism, at least be able to intelligently articulate your opinion. Feel free to dislike any band you want, but at least do the research to understand why people might disagree with you. Making an unsubstantiated and unsupported statement like "the band as a whole is awful" when history clearly contradicts you makes you look stupid.
    Last edited by roberto73; 03-03-2007 at 11:04 PM.

The Smiths helped mold my taste in music which is as varied as it gets - BUT varied with good stuff, I'd like to think.

and yes there is reason for the dedication, loads of reasons.
    The Glitter Freeze

I don't think they're untalented, you just wouldn't find them on my iPod.

My ipod has every single thing they've done.
    The Glitter Freeze

Did you not read what I wrote you fucking jackass! Oh my fucking god he is a fucking vegan, he has like a vow of chastity or whatever. His lyrics are good but he isnt Ian Mckay. Minor Threat is what the Smiths wish they could be. Fucking Morissey lives in hollywood hills way to give it to the man! Goddamn Im sick of people beingsuch Pompouse arrogant basterds on the Coachella bored. I respect all they did for music and whatever but there music sucks!!

You know, there's a lengthy response to this that's probably worth writing, but apparently wanting you to make sense makes me a "Pompouse arrogant basterd." I yield to your lacerating wit, razor-sharp intelligence, and masterful grasp of the English language. You're right. You win. You convinced me. Your logic is undeniable. The Smiths just wanted to be Minor Threat. Therefore, The Smiths suck. How did I miss that all these years?

Your right go Cut yourself while playing "A Boy with a thorn in his side"

Whatever moron decided to say that The Smiths are overated is OUT OF THEIR MIND!!!! There are bands that are a diect influence on not only the history of music, but on the culture itself. Its fine if you don't like them, but at least acknowledge their influence. And by the way, they are in the same league with the Beatles, Zepplin, Who, Hendrix, whatever you name the highest echilon and they are there. If they played ANYWHERE, the response would be as automatic and astronomical. Smiths overrated? I name at least 100 bands that people think are in the same league that fit that bill, and some of them are at Coachella this year. Can you say...RHCP, RAGE, BJORK!!!

neither
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Your right go Cut yourself while playing "A Boy with a thorn in his side"
    i love this - its so moronic!
    The Glitter Freeze

Yup, and it's exactly why I realized attempting to have an intelligent discussion with this dingus would be a waste of my time.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Well I DON'T think overrated but definitely not the band to end all bands..
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    saying you rather see the no-talent fucking smashing pumpkins is pretty much sac-religious if you ask me.
    saying that you dont like the smashing pumpkins or even that you dont think that they are a very good band is fine, but saying that that billy corgan, jimmy chamberlin, and james iha have no talent is blatantly false.

Wow.... I honestly don't even know where to begin. At least you acknowledged him as a good lyricist, which he most definitely is, I consider him one of the best. The Smiths have a sound that is their own. I know lots of bands have their own sound, but The Smiths sound is so unique that it's never even really been replicated. The Smiths are one of the only bands I know that can put sad and morbid lyrics into the happiest sounding music. The Smiths are not overrated at all, they deserve every ounce of credit they have ever gotten.

Quote Originally Posted by sadsappysucker View Post
    Wow.... I honestly don't even know where to begin. At least you acknowledged him as a good lyricist, which he most definitely is, I consider him one of the best. The Smiths have a sound that is their own. I know lots of bands have their own sound, but The Smiths sound is so unique that it's never even really been replicated. The Smiths are one of the only bands I know that can put sad and morbid lyrics into the happiest sounding music. The Smiths are not overrated at all, they deserve every ounce of credit they have ever gotten.
    yeah, i would agree with that. the smiths seem like a pretty strange choice for a band to call overrated

Quote Originally Posted by jamesc2929 View Post
    Whatever moron decided to say that The Smiths are overated is OUT OF THEIR MIND!!!! There are bands that are a diect influence on not only the history of music, but on the culture itself. Its fine if you don't like them, but at least acknowledge their influence. And by the way, they are in the same league with the Beatles, Zepplin, Who, Hendrix, whatever you name the highest echilon and they are there. If they played ANYWHERE, the response would be as automatic and astronomical. Smiths overrated? I name at least 100 bands that people think are in the same league that fit that bill, and some of them are at Coachella this year. Can you say...RHCP, RAGE, BJORK!!!
    I, for one, don't find a liking to The Smiths at all, but I do realize their incredible influence on the music culture. However, to say that they are in the same league as the Beatles, Zepplin, The Who, Hendrix etc... is a bit of an overstatement.

I've downloaded like 30 Smiths songs and allthough I still think there music is awfull and they're overated they are a talented Band and from the begining I've known the scope of their influence all I was saying is I dont think they are as good as say the Clash or Devo (Which would be Awsome to see play Coachella)
    Last edited by I'm Rosetta Stoned; 03-05-2007 at 10:48 PM.

I've downloaded like 30 Smiths songs and allthough I still think there music is awfull and they're overated they are a talented Band and from the begining I've known the scope of their influence all I was saying is I dont think they are as good as say the Clash or Devo (Which would be Awsome to see play Coachella)
    The Clash and Devo are nowhere NEAR the same level as the Smiths when it comes to talent. I love Devo but I don't think they would be where they are now if they didn't have their image (I hear they don't dress up anymore though) and the Clash is also a pretty good band but not even on the same level as the Smiths. What songs did you download from them?