Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Concert Etiquette Thread

Default Re: Concert Etiquette?

It's the same as any type of interference at a concert, be it a too tall person knowingly in front of a shorter one (or conversely a short person purposely wanting to be in a spot behind a tall person and bitching), smoking impoliteness, or whatever. Don't do anything that might ruin it for others. If you want to sing along, either do it quiet enough that only you can hear, stand by a speaker, or go out to your car and play it on CD. The only situation where it's acceptable is when the band asks everyone to sing along.

Singing along doesn't usually bother me unless I can't hear the band. Also, since I don't ever sing along I feel weird, as if it's expected. Talking is really annoying, as is constantly leaving for drinks.

But, the most annoying thing of all is smoking. If it's an outdoor venue, I always get seated near a chain smoker. (This person also tends to talk non-stop and drink a lot.)

I avoid the Sahara tent when it gets really crowded because it seems like half the people are smoking while they are dancing, which I really don't understand. I am worried about being burned, and also can't breath. The pot smoke does not seem to bother me though.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatcher View Post
    But, the most annoying thing of all is smoking.
    Agreed, specially in small indoor venues.

This last weekend in the This Will Destroy you show, there was this guy in the very front taking pictures every 30 seconds. He was shooting with flash on and none of the pics seemed to come out well because he kept shooting and shooting the whole fucking time. He was REALLY close to the bands, especially to Lymbyc System and Mum. I was afraid they'd stop playing anytime because of how annoying this guy was being.

Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    *sigh* the hives, they have an open invite to come play in Miami
    i get to see them this tuesday, not last tuesday like i thought lol ...x****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

it is true, the epic sing-along is good times. last year at rodrigo y gabriela Everyone sang wish you were here and it was a magical moment.

but okay, a few years back when i was at radiohead ALL i could hear was this FAT GIANT squeeling spinning plates. not fucking acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by orbit View Post
    Agreed, specially in small indoor venues.

This last weekend in the This Will Destroy you show, there was this guy in the very front taking pictures every 30 seconds. He was shooting with flash on and none of the pics seemed to come out well because he kept shooting and shooting the whole fucking time. He was REALLY close to the bands, especially to Lymbyc System and Mum. I was afraid they'd stop playing anytime because of how annoying this guy was being.
    People with cameras can be very annoying. Especially when they stick the camera in your face! I really like the shows where they don't allow any photography except their own professional crew.

Although, it always seems ok at Coachella; not sure why!

I get annoyed by cigarette smoking at small indoor venues, especially since people are not paying any attention to what they're doing and are waving cigarettes around. It's too packed near the stage to be smoking, people.

Pot smoking doesn't bother me in and of itself, but there are certain venues here where people are always smoking and those people are always like "OMG I HAVE POT, wait, are we allowed to smoke pot in here, there is security over there, they might see OUR POT, here, take this, I don't want anyone to see I am smoking POT" ad nauseum through the whole set. I want to punch people like this. No one cares that you have pot, OK? STFU.

What about people who push their way through the crowd and then decide to stand right fucking in front of you.

Quote Originally Posted by noisemachine View Post
    What about people who push their way through the crowd and then decide to stand right fucking in front of you.
    Thats where the shanking knife comes in handy...

Thats when I usually start ranting really loud OHHHHH MAN DONT YOU HATE WHEN SOME JACKASS COMES AND STANDS RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU AND THEN YOU CANT FUCKING SEEEEEEEEEEE it does nothing. but fuck it. I feel better.

Foo Fighters at MSG the other night I had a couple barrel through me, gf got in front of me and the bf was trying to get by also and decided to battle it out w/me for position for about 5 minutes- i was the 2nd person behind the railing- there was nowhere for him to go it made no sense- i took a nice punch to the back and he called me a dumb bitch which was the last straw, i ended up holding him by the throat reminding him that i am not a dumb bitch and there was no way in hell that he was going to get past me and to fuck off- i think he wet himself. btw i'm a 5'1 girl and fairly small framed. Needless to say he left me alone the rest of the show. The gf went to hang behind me and join him, she was the incessant talker. she politely stfu after a few looks
    ~~~COACHELLA 2007- 2011~~~

Originally Posted by humanoid
    Coachella is much better enjoyed with a sense of absolute freedom...

I may have to avoid knives this year... >>;;;
    Upcoming Shows:
    ???

6x Coachella Attendee (2007 - 2011, 2014a)

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

I seriously can't stand people shouting the words to lyrics at shows. Especially if it shows up on a recording. The recording is ruined. (Suprefan, no need for your comment here).

I know this will probably be lost on the vast majority of you, but when Tool typically play Stinkfist at a live show they have an extended break down before the 4rd chorus/climax where typically on the CD it goes straight to the chorus. Nowhere is the people shouting lyrics more evident. You can here all the douchebags who weren't expecting it shouting "I'll keep digging!" at each other. It's pretty funny.

as a person who records i hate the ppl who sing while its being recorded. Fortunately or unfortunately depending on the crowd, i have really good audio pickup on my digital

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

If you must sing just make sure your signing can't be heard over the music.

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    ... I know for sure I was singing loud (for myself) at The Hives the other night...I hope I didnt ruin it for Rage Patton.
    Hahaha no man! I was singing too. Plus, Pelle's voice sounded so fucking great, it didn't even matter who elses voice I heard.

awkward.... Ive seen one board member here sing OneRepublic..."its too late to apologize"
    Wait... I hope you don't mean me. Because thats the only line of the song I know. I didn't even know who it was by! Your the one who told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    And Another Brick in the Wall....
    The sing along to "Wish You Were Here" at Rodrigo y Gabriela last year was, well, amazing to say the least. One of my favorite memories of Coachella last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by karecares View Post
    as a person who records i hate the ppl who sing while its being recorded. Fortunately or unfortunately depending on the crowd, i have really good audio pickup on my digital
    What kind of rig do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    freebird!
    On a related note, it's Bill Hicks anniversary this week. May he rest in peace.

---------------
    Please quit yelling that. It's not funny, it's not clever; it's stupid, it's repetitive. Why the fuck would you continue to yell that? I'm serious.

[crowdmember yells out "Kevin Matthews"]

Okay, Kevin Matthews. What does that mean now? [voice slowly rising] Now what does it mean? I understand where it comes from, so do you. Now what does it all mean? What is the culmination of yelling that?

[crowdmember yells out "Jimmy Shorts"]

Jimmy Shorts. He's not here. He's not gonna be here, now what? Now where are we? [voice rises faster] We're here with you interrupting me again, you fucking idiot! That's … you see where we're at? We're here at the same point again, where you, the fucking peon masses, can once again ruin anyone who tries to do anything because you don't know how to do it on your own! [shouting] That's where we're fucking at! Once again, the useless wastes of fucking flesh that has ruined everything good in this goddamn world! That's where we're at! Hitler had the right idea, he was just an underachiever! Kill 'em all, Adolf, all of 'em! Jew, Mexican, American, white, kill 'em all! Start over, the experiment didn't work! [despairingly] Rain forty days, please fucking rain to wash these turds off my fucking life! Wash these human wastes of flesh and bone off this planet! I pray to you, God, to kill these fucking people!

[crowdmember yells out "Freebird" again]

[utterly deflated] Freebird. And in the beginning there was the word "Freebird" and "Freebird" would be yelled throughout the centuries. "Freebird", the mantra of the moron! "Freebird", "Freebird", "Freebird", "Freebird". If we keep yelling this, one day we'll be funny. Keep doing it. "Freebird", "Freebird", "Freebird", "Freebird". We will sit at the feet of Kevin Matthews. "Freebird", "Freebird", "Freebird".

[audience joins in]

"Free–" I'm feeling enlightened! "Freebird". Oh, how holy. "Well, I don't think this is going to be a "get-laid" set for me, so, uh … [laughter] Well, Bill, good guess. But I'm not leaving, fuckers. As I said, you will be the first to leave.

Ah well, we have a long night ahead of us…
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    On a related note, it's Bill Hicks anniversary this week. May he rest in peace.

---------------
    Please quit yelling that. It's not funny, it's not clever; it's stupid, it's repetitive. Why the fuck would you continue to yell that? I'm serious.

[crowdmember yells out "Kevin Matthews"]

Okay, Kevin Matthews. What does that mean now? [voice slowly rising] Now what does it mean? I understand where it comes from, so do you. Now what does it all mean? What is the culmination of yelling that?

[crowdmember yells out "Jimmy Shorts"]

Jimmy Shorts. He's not here. He's not gonna be here, now what? Now where are we? [voice rises faster] We're here with you interrupting me again, you fucking idiot! That's … you see where we're at? We're here at the same point again, where you, the fucking peon masses, can once again ruin anyone who tries to do anything because you don't know how to do it on your own! [shouting] That's where we're fucking at! Once again, the useless wastes of fucking flesh that has ruined everything good in this goddamn world! That's where we're at! Hitler had the right idea, he was just an underachiever! Kill 'em all, Adolf, all of 'em! Jew, Mexican, American, white, kill 'em all! Start over, the experiment didn't work! [despairingly] Rain forty days, please fucking rain to wash these turds off my fucking life! Wash these human wastes of flesh and bone off this planet! I pray to you, God, to kill these fucking people!

[crowdmember yells out "Freebird" again]

[utterly deflated] Freebird. And in the beginning there was the word "Freebird" and "Freebird" would be yelled throughout the centuries. "Freebird", the mantra of the moron! "Freebird", "Freebird", "Freebird", "Freebird". If we keep yelling this, one day we'll be funny. Keep doing it. "Freebird", "Freebird", "Freebird", "Freebird". We will sit at the feet of Kevin Matthews. "Freebird", "Freebird", "Freebird".

[audience joins in]

"Free–" I'm feeling enlightened! "Freebird". Oh, how holy. "Well, I don't think this is going to be a "get-laid" set for me, so, uh … [laughter] Well, Bill, good guess. But I'm not leaving, fuckers. As I said, you will be the first to leave.

Ah well, we have a long night ahead of us…
    Hey there is thing called Youtube. You can find pretty nifty stuff there. Try it sometime.

This is so much easier than your court recorder version.

But I'm really glad you posted som Bill Hicks. I forgot how fucking right this man was.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsblend420 View Post
    Hey there is thing called Youtube. You can find pretty nifty stuff there. Try it sometime.

This is so much easier than your court recorder version.
    Looks like we got ourselves a reader .....
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

We all win from more Bill Hicks youtubes.

Default Re: Concert Etiquette

I got to the roots late on sunday and really wanted to see them. Not sure why I was late but I was. I found that at Coachella more than any other show I've been too you didn't have to rush the stage. You could respectfully move up closer to the band if you wanted to. Everyone was friendly about it. Some people even moved over for me as I slowly made my way towards the stage. It was nice cause I planned on going as far as I could but no pushing cause it was too hot!

Quote Originally Posted by kingsblend420 View Post
    What kind of rig do you have?
    its not even a real rig, i just have a sony cybershot dcs t10, i just tape for myself and post on youtube every blue moon. it's great when i don't drink and can actually keep my hand/arm still.

Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    We all win from more Bill Hicks youtubes.
    the only youtube i think i ever posted was my buffallo bill costume from vegoose 2 years ago where tygerlady cut off my leg with an ax ... i do love youtube though, its way cool ..x****
    Last edited by canexplain; 02-25-2008 at 05:36 PM.
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

I dont plan on shutting up during Bittersweet Symphony...
    My friend Wayne plans to rip ass really loud right as the song crescendos, he says hopefully during sunset.

Jeff Tweedy gives his 2 cents:

I saw Tom Petty about 15 years ago, and there was some guy behind us, who was apparently partially deaf(some guy near us actually asked him) ...but this fucking guy sang every single word, of every single song as loud as he possibly could.......I had never fantacized about punching someone for 2 hours straight
    '99-'11...

Jeff Tweedy gives his 2 cents:

This is now one of my favorite things.

This is the one that effing kills me...Your at a GA gig and during the show people move around space opens up and theres a big open hole in the crowd...so of course it's wasted space and I take the liberty of occupying it for a better view whatever...and then 10 minutes later 2' behind me I feel a tap on my shoulder saying "uhh, excuse me but your right in front of me." Are you kidding me? Since when is there a mandatory circumfrence zone...