Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Concert Etiquette Thread

Default Re: Concert Etiquette

Quote Originally Posted by matsuolost View Post
    DONT CLAP DURING ARCADE FIRE'S SET
    I MEAN IT
    ive seen videos where people do it and it is just horrendous
    Do you mean don't applaud when the songs are through, or don't try to clap along to that bit in Rebellion, or are you reffering to just random clapping during the songs?
    2005, 2007, 2011, 2012 W1, 2012 W2, 2013 W1, 2013 W2, 2014 W1, 2014 W2 and SOON 2015 W1 & 2015 W2!!

It's funny you make the comment about picking people up when they fall. I have never been anyplace where people are so polite for bumping into you. The small gesture of putting your hand on someones shoulder and making eye contact to say sorry goes a long way with me.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

I don't know what you're talking about, I go to concerts to hear me sing. Be forewarned.
    At some point in time a man switches from "I'll have what he's having" to "I'll have what I'm having."

I dont mind people bumping into me when its busy, its cool if people are nice about it. Its my first coachella so I was just venting about crowds in general.

Hah, I once had a complete mentalist woman put her arm infront of my face at a concert, so i moved her arm behind my head so she could still wave about, or whatever, and I could still see. She went ape shit started accusing me of being a woman beater. Dunno what she was on, but the point is a crowd of arse-holes can really put you off a show. I'm sure you will but be nice people, be nice.
    Pete n Carl made me do it.

crowd surf as much as possible especially at the decemberists
    Quote Originally Posted by bartelby View Post
    drum circles are the dumbest fucking thing in the world

Let's hope she won't be at Coachella.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

I would laugh so hard if she was actually!
    Pete n Carl made me do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ivankay View Post
    As fine a a pit (i do not use the term "mosh"..i'm old school punk rock) can be, do not be the asshole that is unaware of it's natural boundaries and tries to include everyone around it. Just because you are in a pit, does not mean you are to lose absolute control.
    Agreed! also keep elbows and hair-whipping inside the pit.

And jesus, if you see someone fall in the crowd, dont just smirk and think "sucks for them", physically HELP THEM UP. One of the scariest things ever is falling in a crowd/pit and no one seeing you or helping you up.

Quote Originally Posted by whynotsmile99 View Post
    my friend told me the exact same thing as I put a Flogging Molly shirt on before we went to see them. What's with that? I understand thats the "rule" but...why, whats the big deal with being "that guy"

Its just played out. We know you are hear to see the band. At coachella it might be a bit different because there are so many bands but still its pretty lame. Its basically stating the obvious. You aren't cool if you forked up $20 for a shirt with the bands name and the band isn't gonna be like "oh thanks for wearing our shirt." Its just weird and lame.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by joshisgod View Post
    DONT WEAR THE SHIRT OF THE BAND YOU ARE GONNA GO SEE. you never want to be that guy.
    CANT LISTEN TO THE BANDS THE DAY OF THE SHOW. this means you are an idiot if you pull up bumpin RAGE on sunday sitting in the parking lot all day with your camo shorts and tank top DRINKIN, SMOKIN and ROCKIN. GO THE FUCK INSIDE AND HAVE FUN. YOU ARE NOT COOL.
    What about my huge "I Love Journey" Tattoo. Now if they make a surprise appearance, and I take off my shirt, I look like a total jerk. I guess in hindsight I may regret that decision.....

If someone falls... you pick them up!
    I cannot stress this enough.

Banned

Don't step on my feet. I'm wearing slippahs during the day and it's not even that crowded, you stupid haole fuck.

I'll punch you repeatedly in the face. Period.

E

Yeah, no one better step on my feet. I know it's a festival with 60K people and I know sometimes I accidentally step on other peoples' feet when I'm close to a stage but if someone steps on MY feet, I'm going to go Stuntman Mike on their ass. You are all warned.

Quote Originally Posted by **NaNcY** View Post
    Phoenix the band?

Quote Originally Posted by denies the day View Post
    Yeah, no one better step on my feet. I know it's a festival with 60K people and I know sometimes I accidentally step on other peoples' feet when I'm close to a stage but if someone steps on MY feet, I'm going to go Stuntman Mike on their ass. You are all warned.

Your screen name sounds like an emo bands name.

Three things off the top of my head.

Do not be the guy wearing the bands shirt. It doesn't make you a bigger fan, it doesn't make you cool, it doesn't mean you are in on some secret we aren't. It usually just means you're a johnny come lately douchebag who heard their single on the radio and ordered the shirt online. Or worse, bought it at Hot Topic. It is cool to wear a shirt from a side project or previous band though, i.e Uncle Tupelo at Wilco, Ugly Cassanova at Modest Mouse.

Don't push your way to the front. If you got there late, fucking deal with it. Do not be the douchebag trying to thread your way through thousands of people who got there first just because you think you somehow matter. You messed up, you deal. If there are obvious open spots though, you can walk to them, politely and chill there. Just don't be a dick.

Finally, just respect the dudes around you. If you're smoking a joint and someone is eyeing it, offer them a hit! Why not! If you're really digging a song, and you just gotta dance, dance, but don't dance into people. Help folks up when they fall, don't drop crowd surfers, let people out, take care of people who are too hot.

Oh, and if you're fat, don't dance. You're only embarassing yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaSigChi4 View Post
    Don't step on my feet. I'm wearing slippahs during the day and it's not even that crowded, you stupid haole fuck.

I'll punch you repeatedly in the face. Period.

E

yeah, we'll all be watching out for sigma chi's. They haunt my dreams......

Quote Originally Posted by seanbateman View Post
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

How about if you're a dude in the crowd, check behind you to see who's back there. If it's another dude, try to minimize the bumping-your-ass-into-his-crotch moves. You may be gay, but that doesn't mean the guy behind you wants your ass all over him for the entirety of the set. If you're a lady however, most guys won't mind. =)
    Coachella Vet: '99, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09...

Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    SUBBASS49 WAS AN INSIDE JOB!!!!!!!

Wink Re: Concert Etiquette

Quote Originally Posted by SubBass49 View Post
    How about if you're a dude in the crowd, check behind you to see who's back there. If it's another dude, try to minimize the bumping-your-ass-into-his-crotch moves. You may be gay, but that doesn't mean the guy behind you wants your ass all over him for the entirety of the set. If you're a lady however, most guys won't mind. =)
    Good one! Even if you are not gay though you might still be able to get him to go away and buy you a drink on his mistaken understanding that you are -therefore killing two birds with the one stone. Enjoy the gig.
    Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    You'd be surprised just how quickly the edge of your own sanity comes into view.

Although I realize that sometimes it can't be avoided, if you're tall (5'10" or taller) don't push through and stand right in front of someone who's like 5'0". They're having a hard enough time seeing over the 5'6" person in front of them.
    We serve people like you as good food! ~sign in a restaurant window, Tokyo, Japan

Yeah, right on....why couldnt god (or Cptn Kirk) have made us all the same fkg height! Enjoy the gig.
    Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    You'd be surprised just how quickly the edge of your own sanity comes into view.

if someone falls in the pit help them up.
    but
    if someone falls whilst walking because they chose to wear inappropriate shoes like high heels, laugh to your heart's content. they are stupid and deserve all the rudicule the'll get.
    I'm going to put your sidekick in my mojito.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Quote Originally Posted by danno828 View Post
    haha, i think if you do that during RAGE, you'll get your phone snatched out of your hand and it will be thrown to the stage.
    YEAHHH RAGERRRR GRRRRR!!!

Here's my beef. Every concert i go to i seem to be standing close to the "random ass grabber guy" and i ALWAYS end up getting blamed for that immature shit. the last gal gave me the look like, "hey guy you wanna screw?" then she says, "if you grab my ass again i will kick u in the ballz asshole!"...
    so, to the immature ass grabbers: Please leave the ladies alone and they may flash you some nipply skin...

I know, I hate that too. At a Minus the Bear concert in Austin, I got accused of boob grabbing. It was clearly the guy on her right (I was on her left) but the guy did reached behind her and grabbed the left one, so she thought it was me. I told her who it really was, but the guy had already left and there was a girl in his place, so she totally didn't believe me. F that noise.
    We serve people like you as good food! ~sign in a restaurant window, Tokyo, Japan

Quote Originally Posted by seanbateman View Post
    Three things off the top of my head.

Do not be the guy wearing the bands shirt. It doesn't make you a bigger fan, it doesn't make you cool, it doesn't mean you are in on some secret we aren't. It usually just means you're a johnny come lately douchebag who heard their single on the radio and ordered the shirt online. Or worse, bought it at Hot Topic. It is cool to wear a shirt from a side project or previous band though, i.e Uncle Tupelo at Wilco, Ugly Cassanova at Modest Mouse.

Don't push your way to the front. If you got there late, fucking deal with it. Do not be the douchebag trying to thread your way through thousands of people who got there first just because you think you somehow matter. You messed up, you deal. If there are obvious open spots though, you can walk to them, politely and chill there. Just don't be a dick.

Finally, just respect the dudes around you. If you're smoking a joint and someone is eyeing it, offer them a hit! Why not! If you're really digging a song, and you just gotta dance, dance, but don't dance into people. Help folks up when they fall, don't drop crowd surfers, let people out, take care of people who are too hot.

the quintessential coachella snob

Awww, fluxy. Is this your first concert?

I've never done Coachella before, so I'm not sure how I can be a snob, but there is a level of courtesy one expects at a show, and at a festival that is obviously multiplied 10fold.

If you are a meathead who is simply going for the RHCPs and RATM, do NOT wear a backwards baseball hat & a t-shirt advertising that your frat had a lame theme party!......you will totally blow your cover!

Uncivilized Frat boys (nothing against the well-behaved frat boys) are temporary guests, and this isn't a house party where you think you are the bee's knees!

Don't puke on other people.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    It's funny you make the comment about picking people up when they fall. I have never been anyplace where people are so polite for bumping into you. The small gesture of putting your hand on someones shoulder and making eye contact to say sorry goes a long way with me.

Me too and people think I'm wierd for doing that...