Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 141516171819

Thread: The Concert Etiquette Thread

Default Re: The Concert Etiquette Thread

You have a lot more restraint than me & Jennifer, Cara. And Zack, the guy just "looked" like a super skinny white guy? Do you mean he wasn't? And if he wasn't, what might he have been instead? Merely skinny rather than super skinny? Not actually white? Not a guy?
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    It's like finding out an old high school buddy is on meth, and you're not sure if any of the rumors of him giving handies behind Burger King are true but they very likely could be.

I mean by I was trying to watch a band and not trying to get a good description of someone annoying me.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival 10/03 - 10/05/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Treasure Island @ Treasure Island 10/18 & 10/19/14
    Moodymann @ PW 10/25/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Neither of them looked like Vigo at all. They both had light, blondish features with short crew cuts and perhaps the shorter one did share a resemblance to a younger Slobodan Milosevic. They also both committed heinous concert crimes.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Nah, not my Serbian friend then, he has long hair.

I'm relieved.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    the shorter one did share a resemblance to a younger Slobodan Milosevic. They also both committed heinous concert crimes.
    Haha. Sig worthy.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

I had an unusual etiquette experience a few weeks back that I have been meaning to post about. typically etiquette issues involve someone not being conscious of those around them. in this case someone had too high expectations of others.

my friend and I were looking for a spot and started to settle somewhere. we heard complaints from behind. one dude and a lady. the lady was in the area reserved for handicapped, and couldn't really move. the dude was free to go where he liked, but claimed he arrived at 7.30 pm and settled in that spot. I felt a little bad about the lady in the handicapped area, but the venue should have better arrangements. the dude chose to stand in a spot that left a space wide open in front of him. at first I though his comments were sarcastic. it's not unusual for someone to handle the situation of tall people in front with sarcasm. but it turns out he was seriously annoyed. we were a little confused why he hadn't been stood in the spot that we just stepped in to, and pointed out that he should be stood up there, but he didn't seem to hear.

fortunately we identified a better spot (better independently of the above reasons) and moved on, but at several points during the show we could hear him complaining. at some points between songs we hear angry shouts to people to get out of his way. he was right next to the bar and likely drunk. I noticed security move over to that area on two occasions. I wouldn't have been surprised if they had ejected him. even after the show he was still angry and yelling at people. it seemed to create a really bad vibe over in that spot. (very glad we moved.)

his expectations that nobody would stand in an empty spot in front of him were not reasonable, but because he had that expectation things turned sour and undoubtedly negatively impacted the people who were unfortunate enough to be in his vicinity. not to mention his own experience.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

what a weirdo, he should have tried this:

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    he should have tried this:

that does solve almost everything.

I just thought it was an interesting reflection on how having too high of an expectation can ruin a concert experience just as easily as other people being assholes. it makes me wonder where the line is drawn. when other people talk loudly through entire songs then they are being disrespectful, but if you expect people around you to be movie-theater-quiet your expectations are a little high. it's easy to get annoyed at people but it makes me wonder when it is reasonable to.

Getting mad vocally and/or physically because someone slightly taller than you moves into free space in front of you is poor concert etiquette, in my opinion.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

I encountered the worst kind of people at the Tool show I went to tonight. These 5 people behind me were together and throughout the whole show they would not shut the fuck up. They were clearly drunk and were yelling every single thing they said. They kept commenting on every song that was being played in the middle of said song. "I thought they were gonna open with _______." "Ohh I love this song! I remember one time...." Fucking assholes. Then they wouldn't shut up about trying to get their friend on the other side of the arena to see where they were. I guess they weren't familiar with the song Intension because they treated it like the intermission and just kept yapping. Also, the 3 women in the group were "WOOOOOOO!!!!!" girls. Every single time they would be coming out of a chorus into a verse I had to hear these bitches "WOOOOOO!!!!" right in my fucking ear. This went on for nearly two hours. I asked them early on to please be quiet and they looked at me like I was Hitler trying to stop their good time and they just kept going. I eventually just told them to shut the fuck up and they finally did for the final song. I drove 3 hours each way and paid nearly $100 for this ticket and I had to deal with this horse shit all night.
    Last edited by nathanfairchild; 03-25-2014 at 11:21 PM.
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

People who talk through entire sets just baffle me, and my wife and I have become so aware of it (or maybe it really just has gotten worse). Too often, we have the misfortune of getting seats/spots near talkers and can hear them THE ENTIRE SHOW. If it's a loud show we just can't hear them and all is well, but I'm sure they're still talking. Sing the songs, participate in the show, jump around, even, just shut the fuck up about whatever happened today. I despise having to do it, but so many concerts, lately, were made awkward after my wife and/or I had to turn around and ask people, as nicely as we could (despite the boiling rage inside of us), to please keep it down and let us enjoy the show. Makes one think twice about going to shows anymore. I pray the music gods spare us this year.
    Upcoming: 04/11/14-04/13/14 - Coachella Weekend One; 04/18/14-04/20/14 - Coachella Weekend Two; 08/19/14 - NIN/Soundgarden (Isleta Amphitheater - Albuquerque, NM)

I feel everyone's pain. I can deal with it at festivals or general admission shows because then at least you have the option of moving, but if it's assigned seating my tolerance seems to diminish with every asshole I encounter. I've accepted that at some point in the near future I will probably punch someone in the face at the Hollywood Bowl, and I very nearly did during M83 last year. I had great seats, the band sounded amazing and everyone in my section was being very respectful except for the douchebag sitting directly behind me. He was on what appeared to be a first date, and after listening to this asshole trying to work his game at peak volume for the first two songs I turned around and asked him to be quiet. The kid was so appalled. "Dude, we're at a concert!" Like I just shushed him at football game or something. I pointed out that him and his girl were the only one's talking in our section and then turned around, realizing that I was only adding to the problem. The kid stewed about it for a couple minutes and then started leaning over my seat pointing out other people in the venue who are also talking and asking me if I was gonna go tell them to shut up. I tried ignoring him but he persisted. This is all during one of my favorite songs and all I'm thinking about is throwing a full cup of red wine in his face and throwing him down the stairs. "Oh got it, you probably don't wanna talk right now, gotcha." Finally I turn around again and told him we'd talk after the show but that I was pretty sure the conversation would dry up at that point. He got a weird look on his face and finally shut the fuck up. I found some empty seats farther down our row and my friends and I moved. The couple left about twenty minutes before the show ended which was probably a blessing. I love the byob policy at the Bowl but there are far too many people that just treat the music as background noise for their little cocktail parties.

Dude Bro, that was sitting in front of me at the show and/or to future or past dude bros..

I totally get it dude, you're such a cool bro and you brought your girlfriend to the show to sit in front of me and make out with tongue in front of me and pull her pants down and get to third base standing in front of me and talk loudly about how much you dig each other for the 2 hours plus of the show but so you know..

You can totally get wasted on whatever you like, listen to music, bang your girlfriend, feel her up, talk loudly about your future plans, etc. at home.

Just a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I encountered the worst kind of people at the Tool show I went to tonight. These 5 people behind me were together and throughout the whole show they would not shut the fuck up. They were clearly drunk and were yelling every single thing they said. They kept commenting on every song that was being played in the middle of said song. "I thought they were gonna open with _______." "Ohh I love this song! I remember one time...." Fucking assholes. Then they wouldn't shut up about trying to get their friend on the other side of the arena to see where they were. I guess they weren't familiar with the song Intension because they treated it like the intermission and just kept yapping. Also, the 3 women in the group were "WOOOOOOO!!!!!" girls. Every single time they would be coming out of a chorus into a verse I had to hear these bitches "WOOOOOO!!!!" right in my fucking ear. This went on for nearly two hours. I asked them early on to please be quiet and they looked at me like I was Hitler trying to stop their good time and they just kept going. I eventually just told them to shut the fuck up and they finally did for the final song. I drove 3 hours each way and paid nearly $100 for this ticket and I had to deal with this horse shit all night.
    how is that new venue in cedar park?

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    Dude Bro, that was sitting in front of me at the show and/or to future or past dude bros..

I totally get it dude, you're such a cool bro and you brought your girlfriend to the show to sit in front of me and make out with tongue in front of me and pull her pants down and get to third base standing in front of me and talk loudly about how much you dig each other for the 2 hours plus of the show but so you know..

You can totally get wasted on whatever you like, listen to music, bang your girlfriend, feel her up, talk loudly about your future plans, etc. at home.

Just a suggestion.
    sniff sniff. what's that smell?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imademilwaukee View Post
    how is that new venue in cedar park?
    Pretty nice for a small arena. Hold about 9000 without including the floor. I think it's mostly used for hockey games. There's no upper level so most seats in the place had a pretty good view. I had no problems at Cedar Park. This bulshit happened in Houston.
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer