Coachella 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11
    Lollapalooza 95, 96, 97, 03, 08
    Rock The Bells 07, 09, 10
    Sasquatch 10
    Bonnaroo 09
    Vegoose 07, RIP
    Mile High 09

Upcoming Shows
    6/9 - Deftones/Dillenger | 6/10 - Cake | 6/17 - Buckethead | 6/28 - Glitch Mob | 7/25 - APC | 7/30 - LA Rising (Rage, Muse, Lauryn Hill, Rise Against) | 8/12 - Cut//Copy

Default Re: The Concert Etiquette Thread

I can't remember what my original post was in this thread, but I hope it was "People who yell requests and shit all through the set can burn in hell."

Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    "People who yell any request of any kind during a show can burn in hell."
    There. I will never understand people who do this.

Like, if there's a clearly signalled "Suggest a song" moment, sure, fine. Otherwise STFU. Particularly with big giant bands who a) can't hear you, because there are another 12,000 people in the room, and b) aren't really able to mix up their setlist on a whim, even if they wanted to.

Also, yelling a bandmember's name. Fuck off with that shit. Ezra Koenig is not going to drop his guitar in the middle of the show, and whisk you off to his secret underground sexpalace, no matter how incessantly you shriek his name from 20 feet away in the crowd.

PEOPLE WHO WEAR GIANT ABRASIVE NON-COLOURFAST MOHAIR JUMPERS INTO THE INCREDIBLY HOT MOTHERFUCKING PIT AT AN ARCADE FIRE SHOW CAN ALSO GO STRAIGHT TO HELL.
    Last edited by MissingPerson; 12-12-2010 at 11:16 AM.

Stop attracting the GIANT ABRASIVE NON-COLOURFAST MOHAIR JUMPER type, and youll be good.

Actually, funny enough, that's two Arcade Fire shows in a row that I've ended up covered in bits of other people's jumpers, so you might not be totally off.

Quote Originally Posted by sin213 View Post

3. People that just "push" their way into a crowd instead of trying to find a good path to follow or asking people to slide to the side for a min. If I have room in front of me, I dont mind if someone wants to occupy that space. Just don't shoulder check me trying to get to that spot. And just because you're saying "excuse me, excuse me, sorry, excuse me" while shoulder checking doesn't make it ok. And if there isn't enough room for you to move forward, STOP. i'm not going to move back just so you can get in front of me. i was here first...sometimes hours before to ensure i get a good spot.
    I have a pretty funny story related to that - at the first Seattle APC show a HUGE guy (at least 6'5" and well over 200lbs) pushes me really hard to get in front of me. I don't condone this but I begin punching him in the back as hard as I can so of course he turns around. We exchange words and he's in my face and I ask WTF he's gonna do and tell him to hit me (lolz), he turns back around. I grab the hat off his head and launch it back into the crowd. He turns around and we exchange words again. As I am trying to figure out my next move he turns around and says "Would you like me to move" I said "I would LOVE for you to move", and he walked off. Super weird experience.

If he hadn't been so aggressive in his approach I wouldn't have been so aggressive in mine. Once again I'm not condoning or excusing my behavior in any way just thought I'd share.

that vomiting thing is interesting. a few years ago at Street Scene, my buddies and i were 3rd row for Wu-Tang, waiting for Kanye to go on...the Wu-Tang set ends, and while waiting i get a sudden urge to vomit. first thing i thought was missing 'Ye from that close, but went straight for the rail, told security i had to barf and they lifted me over, i ran out and had an exorcism. was super dehydrated and ended up watching the set from almost all the way back by myself....FUUUCK.

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

Quote Originally Posted by jaimiej View Post
    I have a pretty funny story related to that - at the first Seattle APC show a HUGE guy (at least 6'5" and well over 200lbs) pushes me really hard to get in front of me. I don't condone this but I begin punching him in the back as hard as I can so of course he turns around. We exchange words and he's in my face and I ask WTF he's gonna do and tell him to hit me (lolz), he turns back around. I grab the hat off his head and launch it back into the crowd. He turns around and we exchange words again. As I am trying to figure out my next move he turns around and says "Would you like me to move" I said "I would LOVE for you to move", and he walked off. Super weird experience.

If he hadn't been so aggressive in his approach I wouldn't have been so aggressive in mine. Once again I'm not condoning or excusing my behavior in any way just thought I'd share.
    hahaha...you know you probably could've just given him a smile and batted your eyes and requested he move behind you. most guys (and probably some chicks) would let you have it.

but yeah, i would have liked to have seen you punching that dude and trying to get him to fight you. lol

and that's just uber poor form. if you're that tall, unless you've been waiting there for hours and were first in line to get to the front, you should hang back. even i would have trouble seeing around someone that was 6' 5", and i'm not short by any means...

pushing your way to the front row when you're that tall is rude and basically a middle finger to everyone else that is there.
    Coachella 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11
    Lollapalooza 95, 96, 97, 03, 08
    Rock The Bells 07, 09, 10
    Sasquatch 10
    Bonnaroo 09
    Vegoose 07, RIP
    Mile High 09

Upcoming Shows
    6/9 - Deftones/Dillenger | 6/10 - Cake | 6/17 - Buckethead | 6/28 - Glitch Mob | 7/25 - APC | 7/30 - LA Rising (Rage, Muse, Lauryn Hill, Rise Against) | 8/12 - Cut//Copy

Quote Originally Posted by jaimiej View Post

I read this whole thing thinking, "What the fuck? Who would ever just say "do you want me to move?" after all that?? Why not punch that guy out?" Then I saw that it was you and it made total sense.

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

I've recently come to the realisation that a friend of mine is a Get To The Front Row Shover.

I don't think we can be friends anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    Uh, hopefully he kicked out the right guy.

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

I don't care how cute your Long hair is..if it's a Afro or frizzed out or teased ..and your knee to knee in a crowd..scrunchy your shit or rubberband it or I will spit a loogie in it..

Well maybe not..but still nothings groosier than some random concert/club goers hair in my mouth..

I particularly enjoy standing or sitting away from the stage. There is a chance that an experience may be missed, but then the question becomes is it the experience or the performance. My money always goes to the latter.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Did someone also discuss "back to the band" dancing? Made worse when it's a couple ..usually a boyfriend with his arms wrapped around his gurl..to protect her of course..

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    That's fucking hilarious. At :44 in I spotted two of my friends from London. Small world.

I have a friend of mine who always puts her bag on the floor and complains when people step in it..

Retarded

Step on her.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

I hate all the cell phones these days, and I rather not hear people next to me sing.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkjustice View Post
    this mix is tripping me out
    Audio junky/CD collector
    Coachella 2001/2003

At the Pixies show last night, right when the band started to play, these 2 guys pushed up as if they were pushing through the crowd to get to the front. But it was too packed, I guess, so they stopped with me completely wedged in between the 2 of them. The one in front proceeded to jump up and down, knocking into people and repeatedly jumping on my foot while looking back at his friend, who's face was an inch from my face. They were both SCREAMING at eachother. It was terrible, and at some point I put my hand up to move the pogoing dude away from me while saying "PLEASE STOP YELLING IN MY FACE." Zack was behind me and was apparently fed up at the same moment I was because he pushed the pogoing guy. They both obviously had no sense of space and weren't conscious of how terrible they were being, because they were INCREDULOUS that anyone would ask them to knock it off. The dude that was an inch from my face yelled, "HE'S NOT YELLING AT YOU, HE'S YELLING INTO MY EAR." I said, "No shit, your ear is RIGHT NEXT TO MINE. You can talk at a regular volume at a show." Zack told them they were awful. Then they were quiet for the duration of one song, and then the front idiot started jumping like a jackass again, again on my foot, and then the second idiot -- WHO STILL DID NOT SEEM TO REALIZE THAT EVERYONE COULD HEAR HIM -- yelled to his friend that he should "scream directly into that chick's ear."

I almost lost it, and I had to extricate myself to the bathroom, because I was about ready to grab the roll of quarters I had in my purse and just sock one of them in the face. Which, despite being annoyed by douchebags in crowds around me plenty of times before, is not an urge I've actually experienced before. I'm glad I left, too, because apparently while I went to the bathroom they were still yelling like assholes and started jumping on Zack's foot/into him. So we had to relocate when I came back.

These guys weren't kids, either, they were easily in their 30s. One of them was severely balding. Jumping in general doesn't bother me at a show, but it's the way you do it. I mean, there's a way to not be an asshole. I just never fucking understand how people are so fucking idiotic that they think they need to yell at their friend during a show to be heard. How has everyone not realized that the best way to talk during a show is to direct your voice at a normal/quiet volume below the loudness of the music, directly into the ear of whoever you're communicating with? Trying to yell over the music in a general direction at someone is THE FUCKING WORST concert etiquette.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

so what you're saying is that you now have two new boyfriends
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Hahahaha

They didn't jump on my foot or anything i just pushed them really hard because I could barely stand there and not punch them.
    Translation

Rufus Wainwright @ Stern Grove 07/27/14
    Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Pushing is not nice.

I know someone who paid $100 for tickets for that show. Maybe he was one of the guys jumping on your foot. Was the dude Serbian?
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

"Stop jumping on my foot. Oh, and by the way, are you a Serb?"
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I would have at least brandished your quarters before standing down.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

One looked like minture Vigo and the other looked like a super skinny white guy.Ill admit I am horrible when I get drunk at shows and Im getting better at not being a douche bag but these guys were really bad.
    Translation

Rufus Wainwright @ Stern Grove 07/27/14
    Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm