Thread: Where should I go on vacation?

Default Where should I go on vacation?

Because I've already seen a significant number of the acts at Coachella this year, I'm going on real vacation instead of dumping money in California again.

I'm a little conflicted as to where I should go. This will be my first big international trip. I've been to nearly all the bottom 48 states, so I'm not a complete newbie to travelling, but I'd like to hear some opinions from experienced international travellers.

I'm a guy traveling alone, so there is really nothing holding me back. I'm interested in history and culture more than partying, although it doesn't hurt if the place has a nice night life. Because the only language other than English that I'm very familiar is German, (It's been a while since I've had to use it) I feel like I probably should go somewhere that at least a significant portion of the population understands English. I will be doing a crash course on the languange and customs of whatever country I go to, so as long as it's not an incredibly complex written language (Chinese/Japanese) I should be able to deal with it. Also, I'd like to not go somewhere where there is a decent chance I'll be kidnapped/killed. That would be good to avoid.

I'm thinking that I'll probably go at the end of the year or early next year, probably between September-February. I think I can afford to dedicate 2 weeks to this trip.

Here's a quick list of places I'd love to go to eventually. Please feel free to add suggestions.

England
    Ireland
    France
    Germany
    Switzerland
    Norway
    Italy
    Israel
    South Africa
    Japan
    Australia
    New Zealand
    India
    Argentina
    Hungary
    Czech Republic
    Greece
    Spain
    Portugal
    Russia
    Ukraine
    Poland

Thanks!
    Last edited by orangejulius; 01-09-2014 at 08:34 AM.
    2/21 - Skinny Puppy
    5/23-25 - Summer Camp
    7/18-20 - Pitchfork Music Festival
    8/1-3 - Lollapalooza

Default Re: Where should I go on vacation?

I hear Afghanistan is rich in history. You should check that out.
    Wow, 12 step meetings at Coachella, who knew? SOBERCHELLA.COM

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case....

Quote Originally Posted by koryp View Post
    I hear Afghanistan is rich in history. You should check that out.
    I'm quite well aware of the deep history of Afganistan. Thank you for the suggestion. If it weren't for insurgent activities, lack of infrastructure, lack of non-defaced sites by islamists, kidnappings/killings by the Taliban and Lashkar-E-Taiba, I'd be all over it.
    2/21 - Skinny Puppy
    5/23-25 - Summer Camp
    8/1-3 - Lollapalooza

England - this is where i did my first international trip. It's easiest and there's plenty to see and do.

Ireland - England, but less crowded and with more interesting people

France - I have been to France like 5 times and would drop everything and go back tomorrow if i could.

Germany - Berlin is fabulous.

Switzerland - boring

Norway - boring

Italy - I love Florence, the Tuscan and Umbrian countryside, and Venice. Rome, not so much.

Israel - ka-BOOM

South Africa - Just went there this past summer (+ Botswana). trip of a lifetime. long fucking flight though.

Japan - not been

Australia - not been

New Zealand - not been

India - I have been to India a bunch. This is not a good first international trip, IMO. The jet lag + culture shock might cause your skull to explode. India is a seriously weird place.

Argentina - not been

Hungary - I went to Budapest years ago. It was interesting for about 2 days.

Czech Republic - Prague is wonderful.

Greece - not been

Spain - Andalusia is one of my favorite places on the planet, god it's fun there. Sevilla. yes. Madrid is cool esp if you like art museums. I'm not as big on Barcelona as most but still it's cool.

Portugal - not been

Russia - I've been to St Petersburg, which was really really interesting, though I am not in a hurry to return.

Ukraine - not been

Poland - not been
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Wow! Thanks Tom!

Incredibly helpful. I'm leaning towards England just because of my family origins in Manchester. (The other half is German/Swiss) It would be an easy first trip I suppose. It's usually where I hear most people from the States take their first trip. Do you have any suggestions for cities/locations? Obviously London would be a considerable part of the trip, and I'll probably explore Manchester for a few days.

Did you happen to go solo on any of these trips? I've heard there are some places it's difficult/inadvisable to go solo, while others it's fine.

South Africa for instance, I've been told you should travel with at least a small group due to crime issues. I nearly went last year but Coachella and my house ate the money.

I'm curious; what didn't you like about Rome? I've heard some people don't like how busy it can be, and complained about the catering to tourists. My sister went a few years back (during that earthquake a few years ago) and enjoyed it. Except for the earthquake. I'm a fan of Roman history, so an Italy trip would be amazing. Again, all in due time I suppose. I probably won't do it as my first trip.

Germany, especially Berlin has been in my sights for a while. I'd love to see cities along the Rhine. My broken German would help I suppose... But I feel this might be a better trip for a group. I have a few friends who've been talking about it for years, so we will probably commit in the next five.

I've been very serious about a trip to Israel as well however. I'd love to see the old Crusader and Islamic ruins at Jaffa, Acre and Jerusalem, as well as the ruins of Masada. There's thousands of years of history in one small country, and a hell of a night scene in Tel Aviv. And Jerusalem in general could be a destination on it's own. Obviously the troubles in Syria, and by extension, Lebanon are destabilizing things, so I may have to test the waters before committing to a trip.

Again, thank you very much.

Anyone else have a favorite international destination?
    Last edited by orangejulius; 01-09-2014 at 12:27 PM.
    2/21 - Skinny Puppy
    5/23-25 - Summer Camp
    8/1-3 - Lollapalooza

I'd definitely recommend southern Germany & Austria, especially if you're more familiar in that language.

Tom's right, there's nothing of interest in the countries of Switzerland and Norway.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

well there are beautiful parts of both those countries, but other than that..
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by orangejulius View Post
    Wow! Thanks Tom!

Incredibly helpful. I'm leaning towards England just because of my family origins in Manchester. (The other half is German/Swiss) It would be an easy first trip I suppose. It's usually where I hear most people from the States take their first trip. Do you have any suggestions for cities/locations? Obviously London would be a considerable part of the trip, and I'll probably explore Manchester for a few days.

Did you happen to go solo on any of these trips? I've heard there are some places it's difficult/inadvisable to go solo, while others it's fine.

South Africa for instance, I've been told you should travel with at least a small group due to crime issues. I nearly went last year but Coachella and my house ate the money.

I'm curious; what didn't you like about Rome? I've heard some people don't like how busy it can be, and complained about the catering to tourists. My sister went a few years back (during that earthquake a few years ago) and enjoyed it. Except for the earthquake. I'm a fan of Roman history, so an Italy trip would be amazing. Again, all in due time I suppose. I probably won't do it as my first trip.

Germany, especially Berlin has been in my sights for a while. I'd love to see cities along the Rhine. My broken German would help I suppose... But I feel this might be a better trip for a group. I have a few friends who've been talking about it for years, so we will probably commit in the next five.

I've been very serious about a trip to Israel as well however. I'd love to see the old Crusader and Islamic ruins at Jaffa, Acre and Jerusalem, as well as the ruins of Masada. There's thousands of years of history in one small country, and a hell of a night scene in Tel Aviv. And Jerusalem in general could be a destination on it's own. Obviously the troubles in Syria, and by extension, Lebanon are destabilizing things, so I may have to test the waters before committing to a trip.

Again, thank you very much.

Anyone else have a favorite international destination?
    UK: London, Stonehenge, Bath, Yorkshire Dales. but mostly London.

Alone: not really. Well I guess I did spend a few days tooling around Ireland by myself. And I've been to Paris by myself, but not usually. South Africa was a family vacation with a guide.

I found Rome too hot and crowded and stuff, compared to Florence. Rome is not bad, don't get me wrong. There's tons and tons of cool stuff to see. It was just really hot the days I was there. Florence just felt more friendly and peaceful and accessible. Plus, the Uffizzi is, I think, my favorite museum in the world.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Go to the Spain and attend Primavera Sound. i did that in 2012 and had the absolute best fucking time. Spent 5 days in Madrid and 5 days in Barcelona.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I just got back from living in Europe for a couple months. Out of all the places I visited, I would recommend Iceland. It's absolutely beautiful, and has some of the nicest people you'll ever meet living there.
    Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Coachella will come out of the closet announcing it's gay. Most will applaud it while some will sell their passes.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Go to the Spain and attend Primavera Sound. i did that in 2012 and had the absolute best fucking time. Spent 5 days in Madrid and 5 days in Barcelona.
    Drinkey, I'm seriously considering doing this.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Litoris View Post
    I just got back from living in Europe for a couple months. Out of all the places I visited, I would recommend Iceland. It's absolutely beautiful, and has some of the nicest people you'll ever meet living there.
    My friend and I just booked our flights there for a trip towards the end of March - we're quite excited! We've heard nothing but nice things about it (scenery wise). Anything about the country you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    My friend and I just booked our flights there for a trip towards the end of March - we're quite excited! We've heard nothing but nice things about it (scenery wise). Anything about the country you recommend?
    Awesome! You'll enjoy it. We were there last month so we had about 3 hours of sunlight per day, making it hard to do a lot. With that being said, I have a few suggestions:

1. Rent a car. Fuck the tours, the cost per person is the same or more than the daily rental rate, plus gas. I prefer to take it all in, as opposed to being rushed by the tours.

2. Drive the Golden Circle. It's absolutely beautiful. The first stop is about an hour outside of Reykjavik (I assume that's where you'll be staying).

3. The Blue Lagoon! 100% worth the price of admission. Also about an hour outside of Reykjavik.

4. Drive outside of the city and try to catch the auroras. I'm not sure how active they will be since you're going in March, but apparently there's a 13 year cycle with the auroras and they're at their peak right now. We caught them, and it was absolutely magical.

Everything in Iceland is pricey. It's something you just have to accept, but it was completely worth every penny spent. I plan on going back soon.

Also, from what I've heard, Icelanders know how to party. I didn't get to experience it firsthand because we didn't have a lot of time there and we were tired, but visit a pub or club, if that's your thing.

Edit: They also have the world's largest penis museum in Reykjavik
    Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Coachella will come out of the closet announcing it's gay. Most will applaud it while some will sell their passes.