Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: CoS's Top 100 Albums...

Default Re: CoS's Top 100 Albums...

Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    In an attempt to steer direction away from The Beatles, is Quadrophenia really a better album then Tommy? Both are great albums but I think Tommy is better.
    I think so, yes. Tommy was groundbreaking for its time.. it was a novel concept and it carried it off pretty well. But today, the only stuff that excites me off it is the Overture and the See Me Feel Me Touch Me Heal Me bit. There's a lot of weak filler on that album.

Quadrophenia just has better songs, in my opinion. Thematically tighter than Tommy, too, but that's a pretty low hurdle.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMills View Post
    I've always thought Quad has been given a lot of slack simply for being an epic, double disk concept album.
    The question he asked was what distinguishes it from Tommy. Which was, you know, also an "epic, double disk concept album." And in my experience, epic, double disk concept albums tend to get more shit from critics, not less.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Wow. Have you ever played an instrument? Take that instrument home and start playing chord progressions from the Beach Boys, then try writing a song with as many key changes that somehow convolutes coherently.
    This argument presumes complexity equals quality. It does not. Something can be intricate and complicated and still be utter tripe. Something can be simple and repetitive and be fucking brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Remain in Light is the better album between it and Revolver, in my mind. There's so much more ambiguity, tension, build and lack of ego. It's an absolutely astounding release, and while Revolver is likewise incredible for what it did and still does, I don't think it reaches the heights.

S'right.
    I agree with this.

Except, I think Fear of Music is better than Remain in Light. I recognize I am in a significant minority in this opinion. Sometimes the canon gets it wrong.

Let's face it: as great as the first 25 minutes of Remain in Light are, the last 15 minutes are really pretty forgettable. "Seen and Not Seen", "Listening Wind", "The Overload". I cant' even remember the last time I listened to "Seen and Not Seen".

On the other hand, I cant' find a single weak moment on Fear of Music. Yes it's true there's nothing as soaringly great as "Crosseyed and Painless" but taken on the whole I think it's a lot more consistent. Find a city, find myself a city to live in.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I agree with this.

Except, I think Fear of Music is better than Remain in Light. I recognize I am in a significant minority in this opinion. Sometimes the canon gets it wrong.

Let's face it: as great as the first 25 minutes of Remain in Light are, the last 15 minutes are really pretty forgettable. "Seen and Not Seen", "Listening Wind", "The Overload". I cant' even remember the last time I listened to "Seen and Not Seen".

On the other hand, I cant' find a single weak moment on Fear of Music. Yes it's true there's nothing as soaringly great as "Crosseyed and Painless" but taken on the whole I think it's a lot more consistent. Find a city, find myself a city to live in.
    I don't think Fear of Music works as well as a whole as Remain in Light does. It's a great album, but part of Remain in Light's appeal to me is how well it coheres. Not that Fear of Music doesn't cohere or anything. You have a good point about the last few songs though, although I have always liked "Listening Wind."

Honestly, Speaking in Tongues is my favorite casual-listening Talking Heads record. Remain in Light was my gateway, but then I asked for Stop Making Sense for my birthday and that was what really did it for me (in terms of cementing my fandom.) I fucking love that film.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

Speaking In Tongues is my fav as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

This argument presumes complexity equals quality. It does not. Something can be intricate and complicated and still be utter tripe. Something can be simple and repetitive and be fucking brilliant.
    I'm sick of repeating myself. You can read the thread for yourself.

edit: but yeah, I can definitely see an argument for Fear of Music being better.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

So sick, guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMills View Post
    I'm sick of repeating myself. You can read the thread for yourself.
    I read the thread. I read what you wrote.

If I have misunderstood it, perhaps instead of repeating yourself, you should just have explained yourself better in the first place. Because what I saw you making an argument for was that such-and-such an album was great because of its complexity.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    part of Remain in Light's appeal to me is how well it coheres.
    not to belabor my point -- but let me belabor my point. I think the first 60% of RiL is brilliant, amazing, and certainly influenced my listening for the rest of my life. But then it's like they -- or, actually, I suspect Eno -- decided to tack on these 3 atmospheric, nearly ambient, songs that had virtually nothing in common, musically, with the funky groove of the first part of the album. Now, I love Eno and I like atmospheric, but they didn't even attempt (in my opinion) to integrate those songs into the rest of the album. Just tacked them on at the end. (contrast to "Warszawa" right in the middle of Low, where Bowie and Eno did integrate the atmospheric piece quite nicely with the rest of the album). So, RiL does not "cohere" in my mind.

The real shame is that they didn't have to do it that way: there was plenty else they could have done instead. Think about how really, really great RiL would have been if it had included (say) "Mea Culpa", "Help Me Somebody", and "Regiment" from Bush of Ghosts instead of "Seen and Unseen", "Listening Wind", and "The Overload". That would have significantly improved RiL and been one fucking amazing album.

thestripe

I read the thread. I read what you wrote.

If I have misunderstood it, perhaps instead of repeating yourself, you should just have explained yourself better in the first place. Because what I saw you making an argument for was that such-and-such an album was great because of its complexity.
    This. Both in this thread and the thread he took the qoute from.

Quote Originally Posted by Still-ill View Post
    I don't feel like Tommy has aged particularly well.
    I grew up with Tommy. Listened to it all the time from when I was, say, 10-15. A lot of this had to do with my interest in theater, so that was the more logical entry point to the Who. As I've aged a little, Quadrophenia has become the far superior album in my eyes. I think it's thematically more coherent, less philosophically heavy-handed, and the instrumental pieces blow the interstitals from Tommy out of the water

I think so, yes. Tommy was groundbreaking for its time.. it was a novel concept and it carried it off pretty well. But today, the only stuff that excites me off it is the Overture and the See Me Feel Me Touch Me Heal Me bit. There's a lot of weak filler on that album.

Quadrophenia just has better songs, in my opinion. Thematically tighter than Tommy, too, but that's a pretty low hurdle.
    I'm not sure if I agree with "weak filler," but there are definitely songs on Tommy that I never seek out to listen to on their own. One of my personal favorites is "Christmas," particularly the repetition of "Tommy can you hear me?" in escalating hysteria, but the version of that from Live At Leeds far surpasses what's actually on Tommy.

See: Yngwie Malmsteen

Why is this even a thread? When did a list from COS actually matter? They named Bonnaroo best festival of the decade. Probably cause it was the only one that gave them free tickets and a press pass.