View Poll Results: Which college should I go to?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • UC San Diego

4 5.41%
  • UC Santa Barbara

22 29.73%
  • UC Davis

2 2.70%
  • UC Santa Cruz

9 12.16%
  • Cal Poly San Luis Obispo

5 6.76%
  • Boston University

4 5.41%
  • Boston College

8 10.81%
  • University of San Diego

5 6.76%
  • University of Washington

7 9.46%
  • Loyola Marymount University

8 10.81%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which college should I go to?

Default Which college should I go to?

You guys are deciding my future. And frankly, I wouldn't want anyone besides fellow Coachella attendees holding my fate in their hands.

Default Re: Which college should I go to?

Where are you from, and do you know what you want to study?

UCSB. Great school academically, and you wont have a better time anywhere else. My 5 years there were incredible

Oh yea....and there's this:

Last edited by Antoine3323; 03-19-2011 at 08:32 PM.

I live in southern california, and I'll most likely major in environmental science with a minor in foreign languages. I haven't found out how much money I will get from each school, but that will certainly be a major factor down the road. Thanks for the help guys!

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Boston College is the most prestigious school on that list. If you can afford it I'd go there. But it all comes down to what you want to study and which school offers the best program in that field.

SDSU, UCD, UCSB, & UW are in the next tier and are great schools as well.

I'm currently studying at UW and loving it for what it's worth.

***I grew up in Davis. Good school, but don't spend 4+ years of your young adult life in Davis.
    Last edited by boarderwoozel3; 03-19-2011 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    Boston College is the most prestigious school on that list. If you can afford it I'd go there.
    ^^^ What Jeff said is correct.

That having been said, none of those schools are very good and you should probably rethink both your list and your life goals.
    Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    you shut your whorish mouth when talking about the sea king.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Where are you from, and do you know what you want to study?
    This is important. Please answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    This is important. Please answer.
    He did.

Boston College is the most prestigious school on that list. If you can afford it I'd go there. But it all comes down to what you want to study and which school offers the best program in that field.

SDSU, UCD, UCSB, & UW are in the next tier and are great schools as well.

I'm currently studying at UW and loving it for what it's worth.

***I grew up in Davis. Good school, but don't spend 4+ years of your young adult life in Davis.
    UCSD outranks them all except BC, which it is on the same level as. Look it up.
    Last edited by TomAz; 03-19-2011 at 08:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

LMU, for the sake of being close to LA shows, concerts, and festivals.

Get involved in KXLU perhaps?

FOUR TET. HOT CHIP. SIMIAN MOBILE DISCO. BOOKA SHADE. LEE SCRATCH PERRY. BEACH HOUSE.

Richie Hawtin. James Blake. Loco Dice.

Since you're from the west, I would say go East. Environmental science throws in a bit of loop.

"Boston is not much of a college town."

...prestigious...
    Fuck prestige, if you're going into the sciences (especially engineering) no one really cares where you get your Bachelor's as long as you know your shit. Here's what you do: Find the schools that have the program you want. Visit them and see how their campus is. Do the students seem friendly or like a bunch of pretentious douchebags? Do you fit in to the culture there? Find somewhere you'll be comfortable living for the next 4+ years. Compare the cost of tuition and living expenses with your expected salary and cost of living when you get out. It might not be worth paying double to go to the "prestigious" school if your salary won't compensate for it.*

*I'm not bashing top-end schools, but unless your goal is to get into a career where networking is vital (pol-sci, business, etc) or you're getting a Grad degree, I just don't see the point.

The point is the quality of the education.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    The point is the quality of the education.
    Quality is subjective - the point is to maximize your earnings and/or earnings potential. There's no causal relationship between attending a top tier university and earning more. There is evidence that people who have the ability to go to a top tier school do better though (no matter where they go).

BTW, I went to a "tier 1" school (top 125 according to US News' dick waving rankings) for engineering. I now work for a top aerospace company alongside engineers from all over the rankings. I've found that pretty much everyone started at around the same pay and had basically the same education. The biggest difference is that some people paid $10k/yr and others paid $40k/yr for college. YMMV
    Last edited by ibuprofane; 03-20-2011 at 08:47 AM.

None of the above. Western Washington University is where it's at. Check it out.

Most beautiful campus in existence, copious amounts of the best weed you'll ever smoke (if you're into that), right on the bay with tons of lakes around, endless opportunities for gorgeous hikes, climbing, river rafting, really friendly and laidback people (Bellingham's moniker is "The City of Subdued Excitement"), a wide variety of really immersive programs with great professors, and a vibrant live music scene. Plus Seattle and Vancouver are equidistant from you, so if you want to expand your show opportunities, it's a quick drive away.

Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Boston College is the most prestigious school on that list. If you can afford it I'd go there.
    you probably meant BU or Loyola, right?
    "Never argue with fools, because from a distance, people can't tell who is who"

Quote Originally Posted by MonOm View Post
    You know what else is dumb - that you started a John Mayer thread.

Until you receive your financial aid offers, this list is moot. When you do, you'll have to weigh the actual cost of attendance v the perceived benefits of each individual school/program. Those decisions can only be made by you (and you parents, who may have to pony up some serious cash). You may be surprised when all is said and done what your options really are --- public universities are not always the most cost-effective. Depending on your grades/financial situation, the private colleges may offer large grant/scholarship packages which may offset their increased costs. Good luck and happy learning wherever you elect to attend.

That said, if you can, get out of CA for college. It's good for a California kid to experience life and people elsewhere. CA is not the be-all, end-all.
    Last edited by HowToDisappear; 03-20-2011 at 09:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

LMU has a good environmental science program in which you would work closely with your professors and also has good language programs, but if you wana party then uc santa barbara is where you wana be, but i also don't know enough about the other schools programs

Quote Originally Posted by yeahfontaine View Post
    None of the above. Western Washington University is where it's at. Check it out.

Most beautiful campus in existence, copious amounts of the best weed you'll ever smoke (if you're into that), right on the bay with tons of lakes around, endless opportunities for gorgeous hikes, climbing, river rafting, really friendly and laidback people (Bellingham's moniker is "The City of Subdued Excitement"), a wide variety of really immersive programs with great professors, and a vibrant live music scene. Plus Seattle and Vancouver are equidistant from you, so if you want to expand your show opportunities, it's a quick drive away.

I got into Western with a $2,000 multicultural scholarship! Bellingham is truly an awesome city! I've visited the town but not the school...

Anyway this thread is flawed. You haven't heard from a few of those UCs unless you're ELC (top 4% of your graduating class) so how do you know you're in for sure?!?!

EDIT: I was accepted to UC Santa Cruz on Tuesday. It's close enough to Bay area shows and the Henry Miller Library for me. The vibe is academic, high-achieving hippie. It's a stunning area/campus. I get in-state tuition (which is still a little pricey) but haven't heard back from Financial Aid yet. Overall it's awesome!
    Last edited by weareyourfriends; 03-20-2011 at 11:24 AM.

7/24 - Stevie Wonder @ Hollywood Bowl
    8/6 - HARD - LA State Historic Park
    9/3 - FYF @ LA State Historic Park

Well if you do end up going to UC Santa Cruz, you can get involved in radio at KZSC. There are some (read: SOME) decent shows that pass through town, and it's a nice community. Granted, the town detests the college students because the elderly tend to view it as a retirement community and with all the migrant workers and young people running around town, it tends to make them angry and put into effect asinine curfew and noise laws that make having fun really difficult (especially if you're underage).

Also UCSC has the least prestige of any of the UCs you listed so just know that if you decide to come here. Also, bring a car so you can go see shows in the city (the one thing I wish I had had while I've been at school here).

Good luck, you'll make the right decision for you in the end.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

I went to UCSB, and I can promise you that if you go there you will not regret it. Possibly the best social experience of any school in California, an unbeatable location, and a very strong academic reputation. I'm biased, but that's my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    Well if you do end up going to UC Santa Cruz, you can get involved in radio at KZSC. There are some (read: SOME) decent shows that pass through town, and it's a nice community. Granted, the town detests the college students because the elderly tend to view it as a retirement community and with all the migrant workers and young people running around town, it tends to make them angry and put into effect asinine curfew and noise laws that make having fun really difficult (especially if you're underage).

Also UCSC has the least prestige of any of the UCs you listed so just know that if you decide to come here. Also, bring a car so you can go see shows in the city (the one thing I wish I had had while I've been at school here).

Good luck, you'll make the right decision for you in the end.
    I really do want to get involved with the radio station wherever I go. My friend had a paid internship at UCSB's radio station and said it was an awesome experience. I certainly got an old-people-town-vibe the couple times I've visited. I don't really care though. I'm not looking to get fucked up with my frat bros and go raging till dawn.

In terms of the list that this kid mentioned, yes, UCSC is pretty much the least prestigious. HOWEVER, it is significantly better than UC Merced, Riverside, and other campuses depending on the particular area of study. Admissions get more cut throat each year and out of the 28,000+ students who applied to UCSC, only 3,500 could be admitted for fall 2011. I'm honestly astonished that I got in.

What part of being at UC Santa Cruz did you enjoy, if any?

Quote Originally Posted by Radiohead View Post
    I went to UCSB, and I can promise you that if you go there you will not regret it. Possibly the best social experience of any school in California, an unbeatable location, and a very strong academic reputation. I'm biased, but that's my vote.
    I went to UCSB as well. I would recommend this undergrad to anyone...except my daughter if i ever have one.

UC Santa Cruz FTW!

I'd say UCSD (weather, price, rankings) but my sister goes there and the social life is not much. I am waiting for responses from schools right now. I've only heard from UCLA and UCSD so far. Are you still waiting on any colleges? Harvey Mudd and Stanford should be this week. Patiently awaiting my dreams to be crushed haha.

cansei, did you actually get into UCLA or UCSD?

Lurker

USCB is a party school, for sure!!
    you should goto Pepperdine, they have the sexiest people.
    Fr
    M83, Frank Ocean, Kendrick Lamar, honeyhoney, M. Ward.

Sa
    Bon Iver, Kaskade, Miike Snow, SBTRKT, Flying Lotus, Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, Groulove, We Were Promised Jetpacks, Borgore.

Su
    Justice, Florence + the Machine, La Roux, Calvin Harris, The Weeknd, DJ Shadow, Santigold, Fitz and the Tantrums, Flux Pavilion, Gotye.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    My husband threw gum out the window, and the wind blew it on to the hood of my car.

Quote Originally Posted by weareyourfriends View Post
    cansei, did you actually get into UCLA or UCSD?
    Yeah.

Jesus christ... mazel tov to you. I would just go to UCLA. zomg, nobody gets in there