Thread: REQUEST TIME: SMOG/Respect deep dubstep and jungle takeover in the Yuma

Default REQUEST TIME: SMOG/Respect deep dubstep and jungle takeover in the Yuma

I love the way the Yuma vibes, and loved the minimal house/techno last year, but I think it'd be great to change up the music for one day/night to showcase bass music, specifically the kind of shit you rarely see at Coachella (the exception being the Pure Filth dome a couple years back). Why not get two of SoCal's finest bass promoters together for a one-night Yuma takeover?

Imagine a night in the Yuma with:

Kryptic Minds
    Truth
    Kaiju
    Marcus Visionary
    Benny Page
    Mala (could be a double whammy for Coachella - Mala In Cuba Live on one of the stages then a Mala DJ set in the Yuma)
    Goth Trad
    Shy FX

etc. etc. etc.

Dark rooms with wood floors and big subs fit this music better than anything.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Default Re: REQUEST TIME: SMOG/Respect deep dubstep and jungle takeover in the Yuma

"Hey let's take an entire stage and program an entire day with something that like honestly fifteen people give a fuck about."
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Default Re: REQUEST TIME: SMOG/Respect deep dubstep and jungle takeover in the Yuma

Sorry, I forgot about all the Maya Jane Coles and Four Tet fans that flood the gates of Coachella every year. Clearly they programmed last year's Yuma based on popularity and not on vibes. I mean, fuck, what 18 year old SWAG-hat wearing Twitter-fiend isn't bumping Pete Tong mixes on their car system?

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    "Hey let's take an entire stage and program an entire day with something that like honestly fifteen people give a fuck about."

PS drum n bass/jungle is more popular in Southern California than any genre featured in the Yuma last year. That's no disrespect to the Yuma lineup, it was fantastic, just saying...

Vibes
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Media Blitz View Post
    PS drum n bass/jungle is more popular in Southern California than any genre featured in the Yuma last year. That's no disrespect to the Yuma lineup, it was fantastic, just saying...
    I dunno...Deep House is pretty huge here now
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!
    https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...coachelectro-2

Drum N Bass/Jungle: It's Southern California's Most Popular Genre™

It's Always Jungley In Southern California

Jungle isn't even the most popular genre in the jungle.

Quote Originally Posted by mikey1313666 View Post
    I dunno...Deep House is pretty huge here now
    Deep house has a nice following, always has, but DNB is big on all levels here. The underground scene is huge, Respect stays packed week-to-week, the warehouse parties have always cracked, etc. Then you look at how DNB does in the mainstream here - packed tents at festivals, big DNB acts selling out big venues, etc.

Plus the Yuma is about more than popularity, it was about the vibes staying proper. Most of the people in that tent had no idea who was playing and loved it anyway. If it's supposed to celebrate the dance music underground (at least in the US, obviously these artists are not underground acts in Europe), why not grab a couple more celebrated underground genres?

The Yuma Tent: Where Vibes Stay Proper™

If I recall, there was basically nobody in the Oasis Dome in 2011 for the few DnB artists that played
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!
    https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...coachelectro-2

If I recall, there was basically nobody in the Oasis Dome in 2011 for the few DnB artists that played
    lol whatever dood maybe you should go to a warehouse

That was 2011, the Mojave had a pretty big crowd when Roni Size and Dynamite MC was playing this year.
    Last edited by Electrotek; 09-19-2013 at 07:58 PM.

A pretty well sized crowd of people going "what the fuck is this asshole doing? why is he playing the cheesiest of cheesedick dnb set ever?"

*Except algunz. Algunz enjoyed herself, and is a noted dnb purist.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

YUMA 2014 VIBE-OFF: THE DEEP HOUSE FEDORAS WON'T KNOW WHAT THE FUCK HIT THEM

THE BASS

I'm pretty sure every fucking asshole in the Yuma tent knew who was playing all the time, because in between every incessant nose wiping was a DJ name drop to verify that they'd read RA's top 100 DJ poll list.

The DNB artists had to go up against Saturday night's headliners, and the Pure Filth dome didn't have the Yuma's production value so people were less inclined to stick around. The Yuma is much more immersive.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    A pretty well sized crowd of people going "what the fuck is this asshole doing? why is he playing the cheesiest of cheesedick dnb set ever?"

*Except algunz. Algunz enjoyed herself, and is a noted dnb purist.
    I am probably the biggest Roni Size dork out there and... yeah, he played some cornball tunes.

It was DJed very well though!

Roni Size was just silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Goldie 2014!

get the ganja kru together. kevin ford, i hope your listening.