Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Dylan-Dylan-Dylan's AZ Restaurant Thread

Default Re: Dylan-Dylan-Dylan's AZ Restaurant Thread

I don't remember, but here is the website with more info. Basically you just follow the trucks on Twitter and they tell you where they will be. About 6-7 trucks line up from 11am-1pm on Fridays outside the Phoenix Public Market at Central and McKinley, across the street from where Circles used to be located. They set up tables and chairs and it's almost like a huge picnic.

http://phxstreetfood.wordpress.com/
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

Follow the Phoenix Street Food Coalition members on Twitter and you are good to go;

http://phxstreetfood.wordpress.com/members/

Yc's Monollian BBQ

AWESOME

Didnt think I would like it. Im a fairly picky eater, but it was great! You choose what goes in your bowl. And then they cook it right in front of you. DEEEE LICIOUS !!! I made a beef/ noodle/ veggie /orange /garlic sauce concoction.

Where's YC's?

Has anybody tried anything new recently?

The one I went to is in Tempe. Looks like there is 6 locations valley wide though.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

there's one by my work on elliot.

HAVE WE TALKED ABOUT STOCKYARDS?!

http://www.stockyardssteakhouse.com/

my dad used to go to this place as a kid when there were actual stockyards. if you're looking for a decent steak without getting too fancy, this is the place.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Ivy and I finally tried Bliss/Rebar a couple of weeks ago. Their veggie sandwich (fried eggplant, goat cheese and some kind of aioli on a pretzel bun) is amazing, and I've gone back for it twice. It's seriously worth getting a sandwich there just for the bun it comes on. The veggie tempura is also pretty good, and comes with a sriracha aioli, I think. Ivy's friends had the pork chops, which looked awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    It is Joycian (if James Joyce were a Super Bitch).

I may be going to Bliss/reBar in a couple Fridays.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

i ordered soup, but the porkchops looked so good, i ate what jill couldn't
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    Where's YC's?

Has anybody tried anything new recently?
    mmmm....YC's is awesome. it's been around forever. i've been going there off and on for at least 10 years. the tempe location is one of the older locations.

i've tried a few places new to me in downtown phx (since i work on central/thomas now).

Blue Fin - japanese food (teriyaki, sushi, i think they have some curry plates)
    i've had the teriyaki and various sushi there and it is excellent. i highly recommend the beef teriyaki w/ some inari on the side. also, they sell Ramune, which is hard to find...and its very yummy. located at central/willetta (just south of mcdowell)

ZPizza - good pizza, but the thing i like about it is they have weird combos. had the BOT (Bacon, Onion, Tomato w/ parmesean) pizza the other day and it was really good.

Park Central Deli - NY-style deli sandwiches, hoagies, and hot entrees. the pastrami/rye sandwich i had was excellent...its at the south end of the Park Central Mall.

anyone know of other really good places to eat right around Central/Thomas? i'm always looking for new places to try...
    Coachella 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11
    Lollapalooza 95, 96, 97, 03, 08
    Rock The Bells 07, 09, 10
    Sasquatch 10
    Bonnaroo 09
    Vegoose 07, RIP
    Mile High 09

Upcoming Shows
    6/9 - Deftones/Dillenger | 6/10 - Cake | 6/17 - Buckethead | 6/28 - Glitch Mob | 7/25 - APC | 7/30 - LA Rising (Rage, Muse, Lauryn Hill, Rise Against) | 8/12 - Cut//Copy

The Main Ingredient is on 7th St & Sheridan, between Thomas $ McDowell, there's a Schlotskys at Central & Virginia, Pane Bianco is up between Indian School & Camelback on Central, McGurkees at 15th Ave & Thomas, Hamburger Works right across the street from McGurkees, Sacks Sandwiches around 3rd Ave & Thomas, Old Spaghetti Factory right across from Blue Fin, Zoes Kitchen near 7th Ave & McDowell, there's a Pei Wei just west of Zoes Kitchen. I have more recommendations south of I-10 and if you head that way for lunch let me know and maybe we can meet-up.

thats a good list. been to the schlotskys and pei wei...didn't know pane bianco was right there. is that a really busy place like the Pizzeria? i try to aim for stuff i can walk to since parking sucks downtown. or maybe i'm just not used to the cramped lots that fill quickly.
    Sasquatch 10
    Bonnaroo 09
    Vegoose 07, RIP
    Mile High 09

Upcoming Shows
    6/9 - Deftones/Dillenger | 6/10 - Cake | 6/17 - Buckethead | 6/28 - Glitch Mob | 7/25 - APC | 7/30 - LA Rising (Rage, Muse, Lauryn Hill, Rise Against) | 8/12 - Cut//Copy

So, did you get a new job? I could be down to meet up at one of those spots.

i saw a clip before a suns game last week of mickael pietrus making food and eating @ pane bianco. the food looked soooo good. i can't wait to try it.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Quote Originally Posted by sin213 View Post
    Blue Fin - japanese food (teriyaki, sushi, i think they have some curry plates)
    i've had the teriyaki and various sushi there and it is excellent. i highly recommend the beef teriyaki w/ some inari on the side. also, they sell Ramune, which is hard to find...and its very yummy. located at central/willetta (just south of mcdowell)
    When I worked at Burton Barr, I ate at Blue Fin several times a week. It's also worth noting that the old Japanese couple who own it are really, really nice people. I think their kids and grandkids do more of the work these days, but if you're in when Betsy is there she's sure to chat with you. And, she remembers everybody. It's amazing - I took my mom in once, and Betsy kept asking about her years later.

When the light rail project first got started, the city was going to use eminent domain to take over that corner and put a station there. The community really rallied around Blue Fin, and managed to petition the city to change its plans. Stuff like that just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Also, try the panko chicken. Best thing on the menu. They also have authentic Japanese sweets and desserts in the cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    So, did you get a new job? I could be down to meet up at one of those spots.
    yep. i'm working for the enterprise web team at uhaul now. i'm at the corp offices at central/thomas. i'm down to meet for lunch anyday. just shoot me a text or something on a day you feel like going out. i pretty much eat lunch out every day. never liked bringing my lunch to work. and perhaps we can get tomas to meet up too?

Quote Originally Posted by I.F.A. View Post
    When I worked at Burton Barr, I ate at Blue Fin several times a week. It's also worth noting that the old Japanese couple who own it are really, really nice people. I think their kids and grandkids do more of the work these days, but if you're in when Betsy is there she's sure to chat with you. And, she remembers everybody. It's amazing - I took my mom in once, and Betsy kept asking about her years later.

When the light rail project first got started, the city was going to use eminent domain to take over that corner and put a station there. The community really rallied around Blue Fin, and managed to petition the city to change its plans. Stuff like that just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Also, try the panko chicken. Best thing on the menu. They also have authentic Japanese sweets and desserts in the cooler.
    that's really cool people saved it from being taken over by the city. i know i love blue fin, as they always had a booth at the AZ Matsuri (japanese cultural festival every Feb) and i always make sure to stop by their booth. but it was just good luck that i started working right up the street from there. betsy already knows me pretty well, as does her husband. her daughter does most of the work now, i believe, but the parents are always there when i'm there it seems. i haven't tried the panko chicken yet...i'll give that a try next time. and maybe some mochi. mmmmm.
    Sasquatch 10
    Bonnaroo 09
    Vegoose 07, RIP
    Mile High 09

Upcoming Shows

yep. i'm working for the enterprise web team at uhaul now. i'm at the corp offices at central/thomas. i'm down to meet for lunch anyday. just shoot me a text or something on a day you feel like going out. i pretty much eat lunch out every day. never liked bringing my lunch to work. and perhaps we can get tomas to meet up too?
    Whoa I'm right by your work, in the Qwest building. (2nd St and Thomas) Not trying to horn in on lunch -- I only have a half hour lunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I'm also right on that corner - next to the Qwest building, in the high rise with the Windtalker statue in front.

I'm down, I'll just take the light rail up there. Let me know when you guys are available.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Whoa I'm right by your work, in the Qwest building. (2nd St and Thomas) Not trying to horn in on lunch -- I only have a half hour lunch.
    oh cool! i used that building as a landmark for the first couple times i came down here. that sux you only have 30 mins for lunch tho...u can't really get anywhere and back in that amount of time.

I'm also right on that corner - next to the Qwest building, in the high rise with the Windtalker statue in front.
    i was checking that statue out the other day. its HUGE!

Quote Originally Posted by westcoastpirate View Post
    I'm down, I'll just take the light rail up there. Let me know when you guys are available.
    what crossroads are you at? i'd be willing to swing down there and pick u up if you wanted to do lunch someday. taking the lightrail just a few streets north will take like 30 mins...

we'll have to organize a boardie lunch some day soon...after coachella. at this point, i only have 3 work days left til i'm off on vacay for COACHELLA! woot!
    Sasquatch 10
    Bonnaroo 09
    Vegoose 07, RIP
    Mile High 09

Upcoming Shows

Dudes, huge news. Pizzeria Bianco is now open for lunch starting today. They have extended their hours big time and are now open 11am-10pm.

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bel...s_for_lunc.php

EDIT: And my crossroads are 5th St and Van Buren.

As discussed in the Phoenix thread, I finally made it to FilmBar on Saturday. Here's my full review:

I went on a total whim, with no idea what was playing or even when the movie was starting. Got there around 4:30, and luckily there was a movie starting at 5:00 so I decided to see that. Had no idea what it was, or what it was about, but it was a good flick.

There is a small bar when you first walk in, with limited seating, but there is ample seating both in the theatre (traditional theatre seating, as well as some high-top tables in the back) and wrapping the walls around the lobby area. Think benches with pillows and those Moroccan floor poofs - the interior has a definite swank Middle Eastern vibe to it, with finished concrete flooring, dark blue walls and these awesome geometric murals. Even just for a drink, this is the kind of dark, intimate place to take a date if you want to get laid at the end of the night. Decent beer selection, with quite a few international varieties I hadn't heard of, all bottles (I had a Spanish lager called Estrella, which was very good). I think they might have also had a cocktail menu, but I'm not sure. There was a chalk board advertising the daily snack specials, which were Kibbe and falafel. It seems like they have a revolving menu.

This place definitely gets my recommendation, and I plan to start frequenting it.

Thanks for the review, Amy. Where exactly is this place and what's the price range for everything?

I forgot about this thread, I may have to go back and read what I missed while I was gone. I looked up YC's though, I have been wanting to take Nick to a Mongolian BBQ for awhile, they are all pretty far from North Phoenix and driving 30 miles for a meal seems silly. Does anyone recommend any Mongolian BBQ up on the North side of town?
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Loca, I'm moving back up north. Do you ever go to The Dubliner? That's my closest watering hole.

I have been there a few times, there is no pool table so we don't go often, but they have good beer choices and live music on the weekends and of course great food...

oh and YAY!!!

Dylan - it was affordable. I think 7 or 8 bucks for the movie tickets (it was a matinee, so I'm not sure if the prices change), and 4 - 7 for a beer. Not sure how much the food was, but I'm sure it wasn't expensive.

Oh, and it's on 2nd street and Garfield.
    Last edited by I.F.A.; 05-02-2011 at 12:39 PM.

I think I may have recommended Pink Pepper for Thai food previously, the one on Bell between 7th & 3rd Street somewhere, they changed management recently, I took Nick there for his first adventure in Thai food and it just wasn't as good as when it was Pink Pepper. He may never take me out for Thai again thanks to the new menu and the annoying manager that kept telling us how to eat our food. So I am taking away my good review and posting a bad one.

That's too bad. I really liked Pink Pepper (as well as the awesome 80s interior decorating in there).

That's too bad. I really liked Pink Pepper (as well as the awesome 80s interior decorating in there).
    I miss working so close to the Thai Hut, that place made me happy for lunch. I hate where I work now, my only options are fast food crap. With only having a 1/2 hour lunch it's either a quick run through a drive through or bringing lunch.