Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Dylan-Dylan-Dylan's AZ Restaurant Thread

Default Re: Dylan-Dylan-Dylan's AZ Restaurant Thread

Oo, have to disagree with The Place, at least for the Flagstaff location. It's delicious and priced well too, portions are always generous.

Little Thai Kitchen in Flag has the best Thai food I've ever had. As the name of the restaurant suggests, the place is tiny. Prices are pretty good too. If you're ordering food and like your food spicy, they have the rating system 1-5, or you could just ask for Little Thai Hot.

Bigfoot BBQ in downtown Flag below Blackhound Galleries has some delicious BBQ that's reasonably priced as well. I believe this place gets a lot of awards for best BBQ in Flag.

Thai Rama (19th Ave and Camelback & Rural and University [?]) has delicious Thai Food as well.

I'm in agreement with Chino Bandido, Thee Pitts, and Ah-So (especially the location west of 59th Ave & Bell).

Ray's Pizza (I go to the one at Bell & 3rd Street) has the best pizza by the slice. I love the white pizza and you get 2 slices for $4 with a free drink. I know they also have one up off of Happy Valley and I17. I am pretty sure they have other locations as well. I have always wanted to try some of their other food but can never get past the white pizza, yum.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I haven't been to the original location but the North location (Cave Creek and Cactus) keeps me coming back.

Rito's (14th St and Roosevelt,) El Norteno (7th av and Roosevelt) and Asadero (further West and maybe a bit North? I forget) are all top notch Mexican dives.
    Rito's is great, as well as El Norteno. I'll have to check out Asadero some time. My co-workers also like La Tolteca and the Ranch Market restaurant.
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i really like keegans on ray & 48th street. it's close to my house and they have a pretty good ceaser salad. i just wish you could get the dinner food all day.
    I hit up the Sweet Tomatoes next door to Keegans.

A couple place you need to try in the Took (Ahwatukee) and report back:

Secreto
    4232 E. Chandler Blvd
    http://www.secretophoenix.com/
    -New restaurant from the ex-wife of the owner of Richardson's. New Mexico cuisine, and has received glowing reviews.

Hillside Spot Cafe
    4740 E Warner
    http://hillsidespot.com/index.html
    -I have been told this is a great place by the guys that run La Grand Orange.

My wife and I like Star of India at 40th St and Chandler Rd (4025 E Chandler Blvd) in the corner of the plaza with Trader Joes and Safeway. Their chiken tikka masala rocks.
    Last edited by westcoastpirate; 09-15-2010 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    Ray's Pizza (I go to the one at Bell & 3rd Street) has the best pizza by the slice. I love the white pizza and you get 2 slices for $4 with a free drink.
    Didn't I suggest this to you once way back when? I love Ray's.

Yes, it was way back when I was broken and they didn't deliver so I went with Streets of New York... BLEH. Have you had anything else at ray's besides pizza? I keep wanting to try some of their other dishes. I love when the old lady yells at her kids in what I am assuming is Sicilian.

Ray's is really greasy, so you have to be in the mood for extra greasy pizza.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Ray's is really greasy, so you have to be in the mood for extra greasy pizza.
    I'm always in the mood for greezy pizza.

I don't find it any greasier than any other pizza you get. Especially the white pizza, it is hardly greasy at all.

The Arcadia Farms cafe at the Phoenix Art Museum. When Lisa G's closed, I was super bummed because they had my favorite sandwich (do you know how hard it is to find a decent vegetarian sandwich in this town that doesn't consist solely of sprouts, mealy tomatoes, and cucumbers? let alone a hot one...), but the Croque Provencal at PAM has definitely made up for its loss. I'm almost obsessed with it. If I were a sandwich, I would marry it. They're a little pricey, so it's definitely not an every day thing. I am, however, going tonight after work. The anticipation. It kills.

This is what yum is made of.

Also, since I'm talking about sandwiches, Switch has a pretty good vegetarian sandwich too (even though it's a cold sandwich). Their hummus and salads are also pretty good, and they give you huge portions.

Also, also, on the subject of pizza - Zpizza is the best. That is all.
    Last edited by I.F.A.; 09-15-2010 at 08:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    It is Joycian (if James Joyce were a Super Bitch).

I need to try Z Pizza. I don't know how people feel about the place, but I really like Sauce for pizza and salads. Really thin crust, a variety of unique pizzas (the chicken caesar salad pizza is one of my favorites), and great salad options (caprese salad rules).

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    Have you had anything else at ray's besides pizza? I keep wanting to try some of their other dishes.
    I admit I definitely do the napkin dab with the pizza there to get some of the grease off. I also request they make the slices crispy. A thin, crispy crust means everything to me in the world of pizza, fuck flimsiness.

The only other things I've had are most of the sandwhiches, wings and salad. Love the salad with their homemade dressing, it's delish. The wings, imo, are just meh. Not bad at all, but not the best by any means. Sandwhiches I'd recommend the submarine if you like Italian, or the steak and cheese with a side of hot wing sauce if that's more your style.

Nick gets the cheese pizza and does the napkin dab as well. We have gotten a whole pizza from there and I have noticed the cheese pizza being a little more greasy than the white. I think we have tried the wings there as well and they weren't crispy enough, I hate when the skin on the wings is still chewy. Gross.

Best wings in phoenix area for me... It's a toss up, on the east side of town I recommend Uncle Bears. North side either Santisi Brothers on Bell and I17 or Red Devil on Bell and 28th Street. I always order mine extra crispy. They do the honey hot. Fuck, now I am hungry again.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

arcadia farms is fabulous.

went to breakfast at the hillside spot over labour day. the new boy is all about yelp. the food was good, but the iced-tea was abysmal. it's like they shipped in bathwater from somalia to make it.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

What's the best place to get a slice downtown? I have a couple options within walking distance, but they are nothing special.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    went to breakfast at the hillside spot over labour day. the new boy is all about yelp. the food was good, but the iced-tea was abysmal. it's like they shipped in bathwater from somalia to make it.
    I'm going to have to hit Hillside Spot soon, it looks good. And I'll remember to ask for a Coke instead of iced tea.

I believe that there's a ZPizza downtown.

I personally think the Arcadia Farms in Old Town is way better than the one at the museum. I suspect it's because of the "ladies lunching" atmosphere, and their patio is awesome to sit on at brunch time. Also, killer breakfasts.

One of my fav breakfast haunts is the Morning Glory Cafe at the Farm at South Mountain. Just reopened for the fall. They use fresh local ingredients. Plus, you're eating on a farm.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

The murder capital where we murder for capital

As far as sports bars go I love Zipps in Scottsdale on Camelback and Via de Ventura. Their Focaccias are really damn tasty. I swear by the Buffalo Focaccia. They are one of the more lively sports bars and by lively I don't mean obnoxious or a bunch of frat boys but more of a white collar, enthusiastic crowd. Good food and good environment.

http://www.zipps-sportscafe.com/

Also for football on Sundays I have been going to the Half Moon at 288 E. Greenway for the past 5 years or so. They have first come first serve private rooms with a few couches and a big screen and a couple of tables. They have hot waitresses and above average Sunday football menu with a reasonably priced half sandwich and cup of soup for about $8. They have a full menu with wings, burgers and salads as well. Very passionate football fans and all the ladies wear football jerseys as well. I highly recommend.

http://www.halfmoonsportsgrill.com/

Oooh, and Butterfields for pancakes.

They used to have Mudslide pancakes but they're not on the menu anymore =(.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

For those of you who hang out on the East Side:

- Lee's Sandwiches (S/E corner of Dobson and Warner): Best banh mi in the Valley. They make their own bread which is super crunchy and delicious. I normally get the #6 (BBQ Pork) it's this neon red delicious pork with jalapenos, cilantro and pickled daicon and carrot. Plus most of their sandwiches are less than 4 bucks! Cash only.

- Byblos (on the west side of Mill just south of Southern: Great Lebanese food. This is my favorite middle eastern place in town. Great chicken (Shish-Taouk) and lamb (the lamb special - leg of lamb stuffed with a blend of rice, pine nuts, and almond slivers roasted for 5-7 hours until it's falling off the bone SOOO Good) recipes along with the best tomato soup I've had and their Honey Pudding desert (it's hard to explain but it's almost like orange blossom flavored custard with honey and crushed pistachios on top). The owner/waiter is hilarious although some have thought he can be pushy. I've been coming here for years and can't recommend it enough.

- Joe's Real BBQ (Gilbert Rd north of Elliot): Awesome BBQ. From the same people as Joe's Farm Grill. Go for the pulled pork.

- China Magic Noodle (N/E corner of Dobson and Warner in the Lee Lee's): I have only been here once but it was great. They only make dishes using hand pulled noodles. I had the oxtail noodle soup, the noodles were perfect and the broth was rich with out being too salty. Plus they have a window into the kitchen so you can see the cooks making the noodles.

- Buono's Pizza (S/W corner of Dobson and Guadalupe): I've been going to this place since I was in high school. I've yet to find better pizza in town. There's a 75% chance you'll have to place your order with a 14 year old kid or a bitchy lady from New York, but that's part of the charm. [no pics available]

- Cornish Pasty Co (2 locations: Tempe (University and Hardy) & Mesa (Dobson and Guadalupe)): Like a grown up hot pocket. It's a pastry filled with different meats and fillings. They have everything from traditional (Shepherds Pie: ground lamb with mashed potatoes, carrots, peas and caramelized onions) to adventurous (Chicken tiki-masala) to desert (PB&J). At the mesa location they serve Dogfish 90 min IPA in 30 oz glasses and have Ween and the Pixies on the jute box.

- Filibertos (too many locations to list): 24 hr Mexican food. Best consumed when drunk. I recommend: the Arizona burrito, rolled tacos, carne asada fries, super nacho (it's HUGE) and horchata (if you're thirsty)

That's all I've got for now. I might post some more if they hit me.

Mmm Cornish Pasties.

Dig Lee's and Byblos (stumbling distance from Yucca Tap Room). Will definitely have to check the other places out.

The Original Pancake House on Camelback and Goldwater in Scottsdale (west of Fashion Square Mall) has really awesome crepes. Bring cash because that is all they accept.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by PagodasPinkPants View Post
    - Filibertos (too many locations to list): 24 hr Mexican food. Best consumed when drunk. I recommend: the Arizona burrito, rolled tacos, carne asada fries, super nacho (it's HUGE) and horchata (if you're thirsty)

That's all I've got for now. I might post some more if they hit me.
    Good call. They just put one near 32nd st and Baseline in the Gallaghers center. I got the carne asada fries and they were superb. I discovered that the one on Broadway in Tempe was no longer as good as it used to be and started going to Polibertos on Baseline in Tempe which is fantastic by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by westcoastpirate View Post
    Dig Lee's and Byblos (stumbling distance from Yucca Tap Room). Will definitely have to check the other places out.
    I only went to Byblos once and it was very good so I would second that for good Greek food!

Let's just call 'em all Berto's.

I would be interested in hearing everybody's favorite wing's for those that eat them. I looooove me some chick'n wangs.

mmm...wings...

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt
    I know it's hard, but try not to turn into GPS. It is just unfortunate for us all.

definitely agree with the Pasty's...it's actually been a while, but used to go there once a week for their Lamb & Mint pasty. mmmmm

and FiliB's is a regular for me. who the hell would anyone go to taco bell with FiliB's representing all thru AZ?

and i shop at Lee's Lee's at least once a month...but usually there just to grab stuff and go. i'll have to try that noodle shop. i love me some good ramen!

and its nice to see all the love for Los Dos Molinos on the first page...i've been going there for over 15 years! love it! started out as a place that would serve us beer while still in high school, but found out the food was amazing and LOVE how spicy, yet flavorful it all was. been going back ever since.

my add to this thread:
    "That's A Wrap" (now) on Camelback and 7th St. GREAT WRAPS. can't go wrong with any of the items on their menu.
    http://www.thatsawrapphx.com/
    Last edited by sin213; 09-15-2010 at 03:55 PM.
    Coachella 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11
    Lollapalooza 95, 96, 97, 03, 08
    Rock The Bells 07, 09, 10
    Sasquatch 10
    Bonnaroo 09
    Vegoose 07, RIP
    Mile High 09

Upcoming Shows
    6/9 - Deftones/Dillenger | 6/10 - Cake | 6/17 - Buckethead | 6/28 - Glitch Mob | 7/25 - APC | 7/30 - LA Rising (Rage, Muse, Lauryn Hill, Rise Against) | 8/12 - Cut//Copy

Lee Lee's is amazing!! I used to shop their regularly, but I haven't been in ages. Thanks for reminding me that I need to make a visit. I've eaten at the noodle shop in there, and it's delicious. Highly recommended.