Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Dylan-Dylan-Dylan's AZ Restaurant Thread

Default Re: Dylan-Dylan-Dylan's AZ Restaurant Thread

Abzzzynthe!

Four Lokozzz
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

Chompies French Dip. At $15+ with a Coke I wouldn't get it again. The quality of the roast beef was above average, but it's not a great french dip especially considering how good their corned beef and pastrami looks. I'll definitely go back to try those. The roast beef was good, but I really like places that can serve it medium rare so it's moist and tender. I'm probably being too picky.

Chompies

Wally's on Camelback

Thanks to everyone that recommend DeFalcos. It's amazing. I got the Philly cheese-steak on the first trip. It looks like wet dog food and spooge, but it was damn good and the only place that knows how to get the cheese right (liquidity rather than just melted).

Went back and had to get the French dip and meatball. Both were awesome. The bread doesn't look like much, but it's got a crisp crust and is soft inside. It held up well for all three sandwiches.

Also tried Spinatos for the first time after I met someone on a train in NJ that recommended it. The sauce is sweet and the sausage could have been spicier, maybe with some fennel, but it was really good.

I also hit up Phoenix Pizza House on Van Buren and 48th st. They have this wing and slice combo for $8 or $9.
    Last edited by Timestretch; 08-28-2011 at 09:38 PM.

I use to work by Phoenix Pizza House and ate there often, I use to order the two slices with a drink and add pepperoni and feta cheese, yummm. I love the crust.

Nick and I found a new favorite sushi spot. Yasu Shushi Bistro on 44th Steet & Cactus just west of PV mall. So fucking good. It is a little more spendy but the fish is so much fresher and they also have several non sushi items on the menu, they grill fish and steak as well. When you get there they hand you like 5 menus, which can be a little confusing but they are all very helpful and will explain anything on the menu as well as give you recommendations for new items to try. I highly recommend it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

R&R in Scottsdale has an amazing happy hour 3-7 & 10-12

1/2 off Draft beer, well drinks, all wine and Margaritas. $5 Small plates including Ahi/Veggie Tacos, animal fries , sliders etc

My friends got the Ahi tacos which they said where reallllly good. I had the sliders which were also top notch. High quality food with 1/2 price drinks. You really cant beat the price in Scottsdale. I'll take pics next time.

http://www.rnrscottsdale.com/home.html

Chris Bianco is planning on opening a new restaurant at the Town & Country (Camelback & 20th), which is a grenade's toss from my office. He's going to open up a bar there too similar to the Pizzeria Bianco setup. It's going to focus on pasta (fresh pasta) and be trattoria style italian instead of pizzas or sandwiches.

In similar news, the Town & Country is being rumored to be getting a Whole Foods and Nordstrom Rack, the former I'm happiest about. That shopping center is dying and it's nice to see new $$ being pumped in there.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

Calzone from Spinato's. It's really just their medium pizza folded over. I just had ricotta, mozzarella, and pepperoni in it so it was kind of thin for a calzone. But it was good and a lot easier to eat than the traditional thick ones. I'm starting to become addicted to their sweet sauce. There's a slice missing from the photos.

Last edited by Timestretch; 11-25-2011 at 07:36 PM.

I got to hit Pizzeria Bianco for my birthday a couple weeks ago. I went with some co-workers for lunch. We were worried about a line so we walked over and got there about 5 minutes before 11am on a Monday. I think we were paranoid because there was no one there. They opened the doors and we got a table for 8 immediately. No one else showed up for another 15 min or so. So I highly recommend going for an early lunch in the beginning of the week if you don't want to deal with a line.

Now about the food...it was EXCELLENT! I had eaten at Bianco's once before, and this recent trip blew the prior experience to shreds. I had the best slice of pizza of my life, a fresh piece of a Rosa pie. All the slices I had of the various kinds of pizza on this trip were great to outstanding, along with the salads. The food combined with no wait and exceptional service made me a huge backer of Pizzeria Bianco. Thumbs way up. And thanks to my co-workers for picking up the tab!

Has anyone been to O.H.S.O. Eatery + Nanobrewery in Arcadia? I really really really want to check it out. They took over the German place where they had Cheap Thrills.

Pepe's Taco Villa off I-17 and Camelback. This is the #14, chicken mole enchiladas for $10.50. I don't think this lived up to the hype on Yelp, but it was pretty damn good. The chicken was fairly moist and all white meat. The mole was good, but not great. It tasted like standard mole, but there wasn't anything distinctive about it that would have me raving about the flavor. The red hot sauce was made for pasty old people. It tasted closer to ketchup than hot sauce, but the verde was good and had a little more spice to it. Will definitely do this again. This seemed better than most chains around town for Sonoran style Mexican food.

Thanks for the write up, Timestretch. My personal favorite Mexican food place in that area is Los Compadres on the west side of 7th Ave. north of Indian School, on the west side. Admittedly their salsa doesn't quite do it for me, the food's flavor really makes up for it. Cheese crisp with guacamole for an appetizer is excellent and the green chile chimi is my favorite, but everything is good.

I'm going to Fogo de Chao tomorrow for my birthday, I'll report back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Will somebody trade their bow ticket for my stern ticket? I have this thing where I get seasick if I'm on the wrong side of the engine room, and it works better with my schedule to be on the front end of the changing time zone.

Did you ever hit up the La Piazza Al Forno, the Glendale version of Pizzeria Bianco, Dylan? I was thinking about checking it out for our wedding anniversary. Actually, I'll take any westside restaurant suggestions.

New Times top 10 wings: http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bel...lo_chicken.php

I definitely like their 6-10 picks. Haven't had their top choices.

That's A Wrap on Camelback just east of 7th St.

Vegetable bowl, brown rice with avocado and grilled tofu added on. Side of tomato soup. I think it comes out to $9.10, and I get water instead of a fountain drink.

They obviously pride themselves on wraps and oddly enough, I've never tried one. I can't pry myself away from the bowls. This place is great, they play good music too.
    Will somebody trade their bow ticket for my stern ticket? I have this thing where I get seasick if I'm on the wrong side of the engine room, and it works better with my schedule to be on the front end of the changing time zone.

^That thing looks f'in beautiful. Is that what I am eating prior to Kings/Yotes game 1? If so, shiat is shapin up nice.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Sadly no. I don't think there's a unanimous go-to spot at West Gate among the Arizona group, it's mostly chains. There's one well reviewed Italian/Pizza place that none of us have ever tried.

The golden medium at Zipps are really good. I did find better wings though. Baseline sportsgrill has some really excellent wings. First off they are massive. Also, they only serve the drumsticks. 2 dozen wings? ALL drumsticks no matter what. Honestly I forgot which flavor I liked best Ill have to go back but rest assured they have some of the best wings in AZ.

Quote Originally Posted by westcoastpirate View Post
    Did you ever hit up the La Piazza Al Forno, the Glendale version of Pizzeria Bianco, Dylan? I was thinking about checking it out for our wedding anniversary. Actually, I'll take any westside restaurant suggestions.
    Haus Murphy's.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
    ^That thing looks f'in beautiful. Is that what I am eating prior to Kings/Yotes game 1? If so, shiat is shapin up nice.
    Not much but chains at the Westgate area (Native New Yorker, Yardhouse, Big Fat Greek Shit). Some decent stuff in downtown Glendale:

Haus Murphys (German food and beerz)
    Pizza al Forno or whatever
    La Perla Cafe
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Haus Murphy's.
    What about for non-meat eaters?

Facists

They have a couple vegetarian things but meh.

http://hausmurphys.com/Dinner.html
    Last edited by captncrzy; 05-09-2012 at 09:35 AM.

Fascists.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    "Soon they'll hear my words," he thought, "and they will know that roboto's side-splitting reign of ha-has has begun."

The murder capital where we murder for capital

New Downtown Phoenix Dining Guide is out.

http://bluetoad.com/publication/?i=115378

Quote Originally Posted by westcoastpirate View Post
    You shoud hit up Zoe's Kitchen for lunch. A lot of twists on chicken dishes with a Greek touch, and all lunches come with chips and 1 side (pasta salad, coleslaw, etc...). They also have bomb chocolate cake.
    Zoe's Kitchen - Chicken Salad Fruit Plate

I'm not huge on Zoe's but it is convenient for me. I usually stick with the salad/fruit plate or the grilled chicken sandwich. It's a $10 lunch, and it's not really worth the price, imo.

The breakfast buffet at AZ Grand resort is phenomenal. Cant say that for the rest of the resort but holy damn that breakfast is good. Great view too, especially if you are on the patio. Its right on the golf course. It was $17 which includes drink (I got coffee) They have everything! High quality breakfast anything. I'm going to convince my GF to go back there this Sunday and I'll take some pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by NachoCat View Post
    The breakfast buffet at AZ Grand resort is phenomenal. Cant say that for the rest of the resort but holy damn that breakfast is good. Great view too, especially if you are on the patio. Its right on the golf course. It was $17 which includes drink (I got coffee) They have everything! High quality breakfast anything. I'm going to convince my GF to go back there this Sunday and I'll take some pictures.
    nice. Does $17 include mimosas or a bloody mary?

Anybody have any good eats lately?

Not that it means much, because he usually just visits the hyped places that tend to me massively overrated, but Adam Richman dropped the name of this place on Kimmel's show last week, talking about his new show Best Sandwich in America:

http://pizzeriabianco.com/pane/
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I had the wings at Rose and Crown a few nights ago. They were excellent. The sauce is closer to a mole than the traditionally hot wing sauce. It's not chocolate based, but dark and thick. The fries were also good. I didn't see your post about Los Compadres before, but I use to work on 5th and Indian School and we would eat there almost everyday.

Pane: I dig their sandwiches, but they are closer to a snack for me than a meal.