Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 91011121314

Thread: Dylan-Dylan-Dylan's AZ Restaurant Thread

Default Re: Dylan-Dylan-Dylan's AZ Restaurant Thread

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    Any advice on a good breakfast place in the downtown area?
    1) Matt's Big Breakfast
    2) The Breakfast Club
    3) Squash Blossom Cafe
    4) 5th Avenue Cafe
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Thanks! I think I am going to have to visit The Breakfast Club this weekend for bagels & lox.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Didn't America's Taco Shop just recently get busted for something?

Also, Kahala Corporation is a really shitty company.
    MCSO raid if I'm not mistaken.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

Has anyone been to Barrio Café an 16th St & Thomas? I am a Food Network junkie and they recently showed this place on Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives, it's suppose to be very authentic Mexican food. The menu looks amazing, but there are no prices and the reviews are pretty mixed. I am debating on if I should check it out.
    Went there for the first time about 3 months ago. Don't know why it was on DDD since it's none of those. They go out of their way to hype up the "Barrio"/chicano art aesthetic, but it's fairly pricey (plan for about $20-$30 per person) and mostly white folks eating in there. My cochinita pibil was stringy and way overcooked/dry. My dad still talks and raves about his mole chicken enchiladas. Place was packed and I got annoyed they were super pushy on drinks. The other entrees I sampled weren't really memorable. My margarita which was $8 was made with well tequila (Cuervo) and crappy plastic bottle triple sec. You can get close to the same margarita at Caramba's for $4.

I think why a lot of people rave about BC is the food is far superior to what most people are used to here in Phoenix (Macayo's, Ajo Al's, Manuel's, Arriba's, On the Border, etc.). It's probably some of the better Mex food I've had here too. I couldn't help however to feel that the experience was a money grab (maybe our waiter was just shitty) and they catered to gringos. Our waiter pulled the "Hello Amigos!" bullshit that annoys me to all hell.

Long story short Audra is your mileage may vary. As you can tell by some of my other posts I'm borderline fanatical about good mexican food, and I'd rather eat at some no-name mariscos shop and have cheap (and very homemade tasting) food rather than shelling out decent cabbage for "better than average" mexican food.

EDIT: As far as authentic, it's "kinda" authentic. They spin things like guacamole by adding pomegranate. Mole and pibil were authentic tasting, albeit dry. They use chicken breast across the board instead of more homey tasting dark meat.
    Last edited by insbordnat; 06-19-2013 at 09:20 AM.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

Has anyone been to Barrio Café an 16th St & Thomas? I am a Food Network junkie and they recently showed this place on Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives, it's suppose to be very authentic Mexican food. The menu looks amazing, but there are no prices and the reviews are pretty mixed. I am debating on if I should check it out.
    I've been there a bunch of times, I actually work across the street. If you go, i recommend going during happy hour because their food can get expensive. At happy hour they have $2 or $3 tacos, I can't remember. If you go, I highly recommend getting their sangria. They put a scoop of frozen mango as well as a shot of whiskey or bourbon in it.
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

You have convinced me not to try it. The dish that was featured on DDD was Tilapia covered with a chipotle sauce cooked in a banana leaf, it looked amazing but Tilapia is a pretty cheap fish, so there is no chance it's worth that kind of change. I cook a lot of Mexican food and make a pretty good mole myself, so I don't typically get impressed with the standard Mexican food options, especially if they are overpriced.

edit: ok, I might try it for HH for some motherfucking sangria. mmmm

You have convinced me not to try it. The dish that was featured on DDD was Tilapia covered with a chipotle sauce cooked in a banana leaf, it looked amazing but Tilapia is a pretty cheap fish, so there is no chance it's worth that kind of change. I cook a lot of Mexican food and make a pretty good mole myself, so I don't typically get impressed with the standard Mexican food options, especially if they are overpriced.

edit: ok, I might try it for HH for some motherfucking sangria. mmmm
    Here you go...

Sangria
    Red or white wine sangria with mango puree and Jack Daniels
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

so i have a bunch of family coming into town for graduation. does anyone know of any good restaurants and/or bars for dinner in or near downtown glendale? we're staying in this historic hotel near there. we're doing la perla for a lunchtime party, so want something different for dinner. thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Federal Pizza - location, and atmosphere were great. I've always been a sucker for anything Central-related. It was packed when we got there so we put our name down and walked next door to the bar at Joyride for a beer, and free chips, and salsa. As a self proclaimed salsa-aficionado, I have to say, theirs was surprisingly good. Joyride had a pretty cool bar, and similar vibe to Federal, I'll be back. Back to the pizza which was delicious but not quite Bianco level. Is it even fair to compare any pizza to Pianco, or is that asking for too much? Also had the Clockwork Orange salad that was crisp, and refreshing - would recommend. Lastly they had a decent selection of craft beer from the tap which was a plus. I'll be back.

Squid Ink - hit this place up at happy hour before a Suns game a few weeks ago. Like most sushi joints the happy hour his hard to beat. A large selection of half-priced rolls, everything on the apps list is half-off, and I think the sake bombs were $5. Good atmosphere, but it might've been buzzing only because of the game, not sure. If you're downtown, and in the mood for sushi, I'd check it out for happy hour before an event.

Salty Sow - just east of Tatum on Cactus. Not sure how long this has been around, but I believe the only other location is in Austin. Went with some friends on Saturday night, and we were all pleasantly surprised by how delicious all of our food was. We ordered tons of stuff, and shared it all. Green chili pork stew stole the show as far as apps went. A lamb shoulder roast entre was one of the specials, and it was amazing. I had a salmon blt that was damn tasty. I was drinking White sangria with St-Germain along with some craft amber so I really don't remember desert, but I do remember both plates disappeared quickly. Everything was tasty at this place, highly recommned.

I know I've been to a few other places, but that's all I can come up with at the moment.

I'm a fan of Federal Pizza. The Cassonova with prosciutto, dates, and ricotta is my favorite of their pizzas. Agree it's not as good as Bianoco, but it's worth the trip sometimes. They also make in-house wine coolers that are made up of sparkling wine with syrup flavoring. The patio also has a table to accommodate big groups so it's a good meet up spot.

One of my favorite pizza places, Classic Italian, is about to re-open in a new location in Tempe. They have the best tiramisu.

Little Miss BBQ. So this place has gotten a lot of local press, but thought I would share here. It's probably the only thing that comes close to Texas BBQ in AZ besides Rudy's. It's on University south of the airport. The lines are horrible and if you come to late they will sell out of food. I live and work close by so I'm able to get there about 10 minutes before they open at 11 and the wait is not too bad. Otherwise, I would avoid it. BBQ is good though, maybe a little over seasoned for my taste. The pictures show moist brisket (try this), smoked pastrami (Thursdays), pork ribs, and sausage (lots of garlic and jalapenos). Then a beef rib available on Fridays. I would probably eat this 2-3 times a week if I didn't have to wait in line.

The Attic on 40th St & Indian School has a pretty good deal on Sundays, it's happy hour all day. Bottomless mimosas for $12 (they ran out of champagne when we went but ran to the store to get more), $2 off glasses of wine, and they do $2 off all appetizers. The Attic wings were delicious and you get 6 wings for $3. We also had a margherita pizza for $11 that was pretty tasty. The waitresses were very nice and my glass was never empty, I love that in a bar.