Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Dylan-Dylan-Dylan's AZ Restaurant Thread

Default Re: Dylan-Dylan-Dylan's AZ Restaurant Thread

The sandwich thread got me interested in the best stuff around town. What's everybody's favorite sandwich at what place? Mine used to be at Market Bistro until it shut down.

insobordnat, tell me about this Croque Madame.

Pics plz.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    The sandwich thread got me interested in the best stuff around town. What's everybody's favorite sandwich at what place? Mine used to be at Market Bistro until it shut down.

Pics plz.
    Chëba Hut
    The Main Ingredient

I generally don't order sandwiches at restaurants but I like the ones they have at the Main Ingredient and at Carlys.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

o.O

I forgot. Potbelly is fairly new, and I'm a fan of their stuff. I think there's a few locations in town.

http://www.potbelly.com/Food/OurMenu...age=Sandwiches

I may have to give that a try. I went to Which Wich today, I posted about it in the sandwich thread. It was better than Subway & Quiznos. I am going to try a few more sandwiches to see how they compare, but the Grinder was pretty fucking good.

I also recently went to Sushi Brokers at 44th St & Indian School Rd. They just built it and it was pretty nice inside. We sat at the bar and the sushi chef was very friendly and answered all of our questions. We tried the lollipop roll which is assorted fresh fish, shrimp, avocado & spicy krab mix rolled in cucumber topped with masago, siracha and ponzu. It was fucking amazing.

923564_620829611279825_61947167_n.jpg
    Last edited by locachica73; 05-09-2013 at 11:43 AM. Reason: why can't i figure out how to load a photo...
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Can anyone recommend a restaurant/bar near Celebrity Theatre? (32nd St and Van Buren) I'm going there with my brother tomorrow see some Beatles cover band.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I always eat at the original Red Devil when I go to Celebrity, not sure if that is the type of place you are looking for though.

Menu
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post

Pics plz.
    The place I was talking about was La Petite France in Scottsdale (Scottsdale Seville, near ShinBay and formerly where Nimbus was). Looks like they are now closed on Mondays and Tuesdays, hopefully this isn't a foreboding sign. Owner is really nice. No pics, (but check out their site - www.lapetitefranceaz.com). They also specialize in Flammekueche (i.e. Tarte Flambee). Rich but delicious. Small quiet patio area too.

I haven't been, but I've heard good things about Pellini in North Scottsdale for a fast casual resto. Sort of like an italian wrap.

I've heard good things about Pane Bianco, but I can't fucking stand Chris Bianco's shit attitude nor his pretentious waitstaff at Pizzeria Bianco or Italian Restaurant.

Have you tried Salty Sow yet? It's an Eddie V's gastropub concept (Wildfish/Eddie V's/Roaring Fork). Fun place and better than decent food (including great sandwiches, when they have them - the menu rotates).

And if you're in the mood for a belly bomb, there's always El Rey De La Torta in Sunnyslope neighborhood.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

Quote Originally Posted by LickTheLizzard View Post
    I always eat at the original Red Devil when I go to Celebrity, not sure if that is the type of place you are looking for though.

Menu
    No, but thanks for the suggestion. I want some place with a decent bar and more interesting food. I keep ending up at The District in downtown Phoenix, which I like, but I want to try something different.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    No, but thanks for the suggestion. I want some place with a decent bar and more interesting food. I keep ending up at The District in downtown Phoenix, which I like, but I want to try something different.
    http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/889614

I love the original Red Devil; we used to go there as kids.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Can anyone recommend a restaurant/bar near Celebrity Theatre? (32nd St and Van Buren) I'm going there with my brother tomorrow see some Beatles cover band.
    Christie's Cabaret. Quality menu, with a wide variety of options.

Helpful hint: namedrop TomAz at the door for 10% off.

Also, Rick and I went to the Welcome Diner a week or so ago for a quick bite and it was incredible. The guy that runs/used to run Old Dixie's Southern Kitchen food truck owns it. It's only got the nine seats inside the trailer but they've got some really casual seating out on the front lawn. I ended up getting the homemade biscuit sandwich with fried chicken, cheddar, bacon, and gravy. So so so good. So glad I didn't get any fries because I couldn't even finish my sandwich. Rick liked his burger too. Spent time visiting with the cook and the counter guy and the patrons for quite a while; it was fun.

I'm not going to a strip club, but thanks for the suggestion.

I read Joyride Taco House in Gilbert just opened, and it looks really good. I'm going to have to check it out soon and report back. It's right next to Postino East and is another Upward Projects restaurant.

Has anybody been to Federal Pizza yet? I've heard a lot of good things.

http://www.federalpizzaphx.com/menu/

Yep. It's very good. Try the burratta appetizer.

Sweet potato pizza sounds yummy. No cider though.

I bet you'd like scotch, zzizzy.

I did see her drink some Jack Daniels, Scotch is the next step.

That place looks pretty tasty D, I might have to check it out.

Any advice on a good breakfast place in the downtown area?

I am free all this week. We should have a meet-up! No kids until Saturday night.

Also, I don't think I like Jack Daniel's.

Thank god, it's fucking filthy. I think you should try a Hefeweizen though, or maybe hoegaarten (sp?), they are lighter wheat beers and taste delicious in the summer heat with a twist of lemon. It is how I converted my sister to be a beer drinker and now she is a bigger beer snob than I am. Both are on the beer menu at Federal Pizza if you decide to go.

Pronounced "Who-garden" fyi.

What's up with this "fireball" cinammon whiskey shot that I can't stop hearing about? Granted, I'm a cavedweller, but the last couple times I've gone out it's all I've fucking heard about it. Groups and groups of people ordering it, and it had it's own special on the menu as well.

To get back on topic, I don't know if anyone has seen or been to any of the America's Taco Shops, but their al pastor tacos are pretty damn tasty. They claim to have the best carne asada, but go with the al pastor. Trust.

I think they have a happy hour menu from 3-6 as well but I haven't actually seen it.

Fireball is the new jager, its a straight shot that tastes like cinnamon candy, its pretty tasty unlike shots of real whiskey, tequila, etc. Most bars now keep it in a chiller like jager use to be. There is a new rumchada (sp?) liquor that when mixed with fireball tastes just like cinnamon toaste crunch, yumm. I think its popular because both men and women enjoy the flavor and that its a bit stronger than the girly shots guys are forced to endure when trying to get a chick drunk... like washington apples

I need to check out the taco shop you posted, looks tasty.

Yeah, I think it's a fairly new chain based out of Phoenix, and there's a few around town. The founder's name is actually "America" and I think she was born in Mexico. They have beer there too.

I thought the al pastor was so so. I guess it's decent for flat-top cooked pastor (no trompo, no vertical spit, no pineapple, etc.) but that's it. It doesn't hold a candle to some of the places like Tacos Guadalajara. Their carne asada is average - note it is not cooked over flame but rather on a flat-top as well. Back when they used to be a single location in a converted house on 7th street. For a gringo burrito it wasn't bad, but overpriced (burrito and coke was like $9). I haven't been in probably 5 years, however.

America is mexican but her hubby I believe is gringo, and they sold to Kahala Corp (Blimpie, Samurai Sam's, Coldstone, and others) to franchise. I'm probably like you Dylan, searching for authentic but not going halfway across town to get it. Unfortunately I'm still on my quest to find anything decent without driving 1/2 hour.

EDIT: Apparently they now cook their al pastor on a spit and cook their asada on flame, so I'm outdated on this place.
    Last edited by insbordnat; 06-19-2013 at 04:51 AM. Reason: oopsies

Has anyone been to Barrio Café an 16th St & Thomas? I am a Food Network junkie and they recently showed this place on Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives, it's suppose to be very authentic Mexican food. The menu looks amazing, but there are no prices and the reviews are pretty mixed. I am debating on if I should check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    I thought the al pastor was so so. I guess it's decent for flat-top cooked pastor (no trompo, no vertical spit, no pineapple, etc.) but that's it. It doesn't hold a candle to some of the places like Tacos Guadalajara. Their carne asada is average - note it is not cooked over flame but rather on a flat-top as well. Back when they used to be a single location in a converted house on 7th street. For a gringo burrito it wasn't bad, but overpriced (burrito and coke was like $9). I haven't been in probably 5 years, however.

America is mexican but her hubby I believe is gringo, and they sold to Kahala Corp (Blimpie, Samurai Sam's, Coldstone, and others) to franchise. I'm probably like you Dylan, searching for authentic but not going halfway across town to get it. Unfortunately I'm still on my quest to find anything decent without driving 1/2 hour.

EDIT: Apparently they now cook their al pastor on a spit and cook their asada on flame, so I'm outdated on this place.
    And the al pastor definitely comes with pineapple too. I've only been there a couple times, but it might be worth another go.

Didn't America's Taco Shop just recently get busted for something?

Also, Kahala Corporation is a really shitty company.