Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Dylan-Dylan-Dylan's AZ Restaurant Thread

Default Re: Dylan-Dylan-Dylan's AZ Restaurant Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    I would be interested in hearing everybody's favorite wing's for those that eat them. I looooove me some chick'n wangs.
    I love wings but haven't fallen in love with any one place. I do like The Vine and Zips (I like the golden wings) tho. Anyone else know where to get good wings?

With all this talk abut chicken I can't neglect Lo-Lo's Chicken and Waffles. It's exactly what it says: awesome fried chicken and waffles. They also have the sweetest Kool-Aid you've ever drank and outstanding red velvet cake too. Not quite as good as it's cousin in LA Roscoes but pretty damn close. I've only been to the one in PHX but I hear the one in Scottsdale is just as good.
    http://loloschickenandwaffles.com/

I can attest that the Scottsdale location of Lo-Lo's is fabulous. Leave your arteries at the door.

I will also echo John on Rito's. The best green chile I have had in town, period.

Pizzeria Bianco is a must for everyone. One of the best meals I have ever had.

The "new" Cafe Boa is a fave, too. For those that aren't familiar with it, they brought in Payton Curry to be the executive chef, and Payton is a true talent (and just a really cool guy. I guess I can consider him somewhat of a friend these days). He used to run Digestif in Scottsdale. He's big on everything fresh...veggies (locally grown), meats, everything. He cuts all the meat in house, and also makes some of the BEST fresh mozzarella.

Let's see...other faves:

Tandoori Times
    Kyoto
    Carolina's
    DeFalco's
    The Estate House
    Cowboy Ciao
    El Zocalo
    Sassi
    Cien Agaves

Quote Originally Posted by PagodasPinkPants View Post
    For those of you who hang out on the East Side:

- Lee's Sandwiches (S/E corner of Dobson and Warner): Best banh mi in the Valley. They make their own bread which is super crunchy and delicious. I normally get the #6 (BBQ Pork) it's this neon red delicious pork with jalapenos, cilantro and pickled daicon and carrot. Plus most of their sandwiches are less than 4 bucks! Cash only.
    All I see is two slices of bread.

La Fontanella is an amazing Italian joint off 42nd st. and Indian School. It can be a bit pricey, but well worth the expense. Great place to celebrate a special occasion.

I pass by That's A Wrap everyday on my way to and from work, I always wondered about it, I will have to try it out. I have also had La Fontanella, very good Italian food.

For the wing lovers, try Santisi Brothers, I think they are probably my favorite in town. I have also heard they do a pretty good king crab leg dinner on Saturday nights, I believe I was told you can split 3 lbs of crab with 2 sides each for $30. They also have a great beer selection and about 30 tvs for sporting events.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Quote Originally Posted by PagodasPinkPants View Post
    I love wings but haven't fallen in love with any one place. I do like The Vine and Zips (I like the golden wings) tho.
    I would second the golden wings at Zips they are quite good a bit sweet and tangy!

Quote Originally Posted by downingthief View Post
    ...Let's see...other faves:

Tandoori Times
    Kyoto
    Carolina's
    DeFalco's
    The Estate House
    Cowboy Ciao
    El Zocalo
    Sassi
    Cien Agaves
    Tandoori Times?! I'm going to check that out, I love Indian food. And I hope Kyoto is in reference to the sushi place in Scottsdale and not Kyoto bowl. I had Kyoto bowl about a month ago for the 1st time in 10 years and it was gnarly.
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

Kyoto Bowl lol I think it's safe to say that Sean did in fact mean Kyoto in scottsdale. Though I never got sushi there, I had their stir fry where the chef prepares it at the table for you. I assume they do the same with the sushi. I was only there once but it was memorable and very good.

I actually like Garduno's Margarita Factory on Scottsdale Rd./Doubletree Ranch Rd. in Paradise Valley. I think they are a chain but they are really good. They tend to offer the "new mexican" cuisine and are very reasonably priced.

For more traditional mexican I have always liked Tres Margarita's in Tempe. Definitely better than most other mexican restaurants in the valley. Both of these have multiple locations but I wouldn't count on the other locations being as good. I've been to the Tres in Glendale and it was not as great as the one in Tempe.

I can attest that the Scottsdale location of Lo-Lo's is fabulous. Leave your arteries at the door.

I will also echo John on Rito's. The best green chile I have had in town, period.

Pizzeria Bianco is a must for everyone. One of the best meals I have ever had.

The "new" Cafe Boa is a fave, too. For those that aren't familiar with it, they brought in Payton Curry to be the executive chef, and Payton is a true talent (and just a really cool guy. I guess I can consider him somewhat of a friend these days). He used to run Digestif in Scottsdale. He's big on everything fresh...veggies (locally grown), meats, everything. He cuts all the meat in house, and also makes some of the BEST fresh mozzarella.

Let's see...other faves:

Tandoori Times
    Kyoto
    Carolina's
    DeFalco's
    The Estate House
    Cowboy Ciao
    El Zocalo
    Sassi
    Cien Agaves

I echo Kyoto in Scottsdale. They have great sushi (never tried the teppenyaki).

The Estate House is one of the best meals I've ever had in town. Damn, just great food. It's another "special occasion, dress up place" but the service was fantastic. Great drinks too. I had the pork belly starter and it just made my whole night.

I went to Sassi for a wedding and the food was awesome. Best caprese I've ever had, hands down.

Also, the only place I like to eat chicken wings at is Native New Yorker.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Tandoori Times
    I think I've eaten at the one on Bell, and I remember thinking it wasn't the greatest. That was years ago though, and I haven't been back there since.

For Indian, I'll usually go to Flavors of India, on 16th st. south of Camelback, Delhi Palace (if I feel like spending a little bit more - it's probably my favorite for northern style Indian food) on McDowell near Papago Park, or Udupi Cafe, which is a vegetarian southern style Indian place on Scottsdale road (and one of my favorite restaurants - you can tell it's good because Indians actually eat there). They have curries on the menu, but the focus is on dosa, which are these giant lentil crepes stuffed with deliciousness.

Also, for a quick, cheap lunch there's a Chaat deli on 7th st. and Virginia that has these huge samosas for a buck a piece (there is a small selection of other snacks, like bhajis and fried vegetables, but the samosas are where it's at). It's nothing to look at from the street, and non-Indians tend to get a strange look going in (in my experience), but they're the best samosas I've had. They have a large selection of spices and ingredients and ready made foods in their grocery, and they also have a big case of homemade Indian sweets.
    Last edited by I.F.A.; 09-16-2010 at 09:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    It is Joycian (if James Joyce were a Super Bitch).

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    Kyoto Bowl lol I think it's safe to say that Sean did in fact mean Kyoto in scottsdale. Though I never got sushi there, I had their stir fry where the chef prepares it at the table for you. I assume they do the same with the sushi. I was only there once but it was memorable and very good.

I actually like Garduno's Margarita Factory on Scottsdale Rd./Doubletree Ranch Rd. in Paradise Valley. I think they are a chain but they are really good. They tend to offer the "new mexican" cuisine and are very reasonably priced.

For more traditional mexican I have always liked Tres Margarita's in Tempe. Definitely better than most other mexican restaurants in the valley. Both of these have multiple locations but I wouldn't count on the other locations being as good. I've been to the Tres in Glendale and it was not as great as the one in Tempe.
    for great New Mexican cuisine, i love to go to the Blue Adobe. i've only been to the location in Mesa, but i'm sure they are all pretty good. some of the best chipotle and wood-smoked flavors you'll ever have.

http://www.blueadobegrille.com/
    Coachella 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11
    Lollapalooza 95, 96, 97, 03, 08
    Rock The Bells 07, 09, 10
    Sasquatch 10
    Bonnaroo 09
    Vegoose 07, RIP
    Mile High 09

Upcoming Shows
    6/9 - Deftones/Dillenger | 6/10 - Cake | 6/17 - Buckethead | 6/28 - Glitch Mob | 7/25 - APC | 7/30 - LA Rising (Rage, Muse, Lauryn Hill, Rise Against) | 8/12 - Cut//Copy

OK anyone got any hole in the wall, quick lunch spots close to downtown? I work at 19th Ave in between McDowell and Van Buren. I only get a half an hour lunch so anything I get has to be something I can get quickly to go. The only places I have found around here are La Canasta, which isn't bad mexican food for a quicky lunch and then Arby's and Jack in the Box. Maybe somewhere I can get a good salad or decent lunch.

Thai Hut on Central and McDowell is good, and I think you can order in and get it to go. El Norteņo is amazing (I think someone else mentioned it in this thread) on 7th ave and Roosevelt. There's a fish & chips place on 15th and Roosevelt (don't know the name), next to the boxing gym. McGurkee's sub shop on 15th ave and Thomas, across from Hamburger works has AWESOME subs - you can also order in ahead for pickup, which is a good idea because there's usually a long line. Fair Trade Cafe, on Central and Roosevelt has pretty good sandwiches, and I think they do salads as well. Old Station Subs is also pretty good - on 13th ave and Jefferson. A new cafe just opened up next to the Lost Leaf, which I've heard good things about but haven't tried yet, off of 5th st and Roosevelt, and Conspire (same street as Lost Leaf) has amazing homemade burritos for $6 that this guy named Alex supplies. Usually. I think he makes them on Tuesdays, so they're a sure bet in the beginning of the week, but sometimes gone by the weekend.

I have driven past Thai Hut several times and wanted to check it out but was nervous. I will definitely check it out now. I will see if any of those have online menus. I am sick of mexican food.

They have really great pad thai! You should definitely check it out.

I am calling in my order now.

Quote Originally Posted by I.F.A. View Post
    ...McGurkee's sub shop on 15th ave and Thomas, across from Hamburger works has AWESOME subs - you can also order in ahead for pickup, which is a good idea because there's usually a long line...
    Nice to see some respect for McGurkee's! Sesame seed buns are where it's at!
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

Quote Originally Posted by kingsblend420 View Post
    All I see is two slices of bread.
    Traditionally bread makes up the bulk of the sandwich. It should be hard and crusty and make up from the majority of the texture of the sandwich. Luckily for you, for an extra 75 cents you can double your meat.

I can't believe I forgot Ted's Hot Dogs on McClintock and Broadway! They use non cased dogs and charcoal broil them to smokey perfection and also have great onion rings. Apparently there's a few of them in the Buffalo area, but the Tempe one is the only shop outside of NY.

I forgot about In Season Deli. It's on Mill sort of buried back where the Underground Shop is. They have, hands down, the best chicken salad and the best bow tie pasta salad I've ever had.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by I.F.A. View Post
    I think I've eaten at the one on Bell, and I remember thinking it wasn't the greatest. That was years ago though, and I haven't been back there since.

For Indian, I'll usually go to Flavors of India, on 16th st. south of Camelback, Delhi Palace (if I feel like spending a little bit more - it's probably my favorite for northern style Indian food) on McDowell near Papago Park, or Udupi Cafe, which is a vegetarian southern style Indian place on Scottsdale road (and one of my favorite restaurants - you can tell it's good because Indians actually eat there). They have curries on the menu, but the focus is on dosa, which are these giant lentil crepes stuffed with deliciousness.
    I've only gone to the Tandoori Times in Scottsdale. I did hear the other one was not nearly as good.

Ummm...I will never, ever eat at Delhi Palace again. Went there some time last year...first, my kid got sick, then my wife, then me. All in a span of about 4 hours. NOT pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by westcoastpirate View Post
    Tandoori Times?! I'm going to check that out, I love Indian food. And I hope Kyoto is in reference to the sushi place in Scottsdale and not Kyoto bowl. I had Kyoto bowl about a month ago for the 1st time in 10 years and it was gnarly.
    Ha! Yes, meant the one in Scottsdale. I like it because the sushi is good, and not overly expensive. The Teppan grill is a great deal too, especially if you split one of the meals. They are plenty big enough to do so.

Best Italian Beef sandwich can be found at Luke's on Camelback and 16th st. Deeeeelic!

Thank you Amy for the recommendation, I just got done eating my Pad Thai and it was very tasty. I am excited to try a couple other things off the menu as well as some of the other places you recommended.

I also second Ted's. Forgot about that.

On to Italian Deli's and places to get a good gryos.

Hands down the best Italian Deli in the valley has to be Romanelli's on 35th Ave./Dunlap. I used to make meatballs with their imported from NY sauce from Vincent's and their fresh bread crumbs. I've also purchased their pre made gnocci's, just boil and add some of Vincent's sauce. Yum. Plenty of good italian meats as well.

http://www.romanellisitaliandeli.com...s/Welcome.html

As far as dining at an italian deli I have to endorse Chicago's own "Guido's" in Scottsdale in the shopping center at Scottsdale Rd and Shea (I think it's an Albertson's shopping center). They have fantastic Italian Beef and the place is also a deli. Always fantastic food and fresh!

http://guidosofchicago.com/

Speaking of Italian Beef sandwiches, this place is a little pricey but it's a real chicago italian beef loaded with your choice of peppers and cheese. I mean loaded! It's the best i've had in the valley and it's a fairly popular place around lunch time.

Luke's. 16th St. and Indian School.
    yes this is another Chicago place.

http://www.lukesofchicago.com/

Finally, a couple of Gyros places. One in Ahwatukee and one in Scottsdale both are fantastic and the best i've had in the valley.

Gyros Express is just off of Scottsdale Rd. and Shea
    Address in the link below.

http://foursquare.com/venue/606732

Finally, another Illinois joint (though not Chicago). I admit i'm biased.

SW Corner of 48th. St and Elliot

http://nirosgyros.com/

Best Italian Beef sandwich can be found at Luke's on Camelback and 16th st. Deeeeelic!
    Ha, just posted that!

I will see your Romanelli's and raise you a DeFalco's:

http://www.defalcosdeli.com/

Nice! I'll have to try that.

Can anyone recommend a good mongolian bbq place on the north and/or west side of town? Nick and I want to go but are scared to just pick a place off google search.

I've only gone to the Tandoori Times in Scottsdale. I did hear the other one was not nearly as good.

Ummm...I will never, ever eat at Delhi Palace again. Went there some time last year...first, my kid got sick, then my wife, then me. All in a span of about 4 hours. NOT pretty.
    Ooh, that sucks. I'd imagine that getting sick from Indian food is about as bad as it can get... though luckily I've never had any problems with it. Though I did once order a "hot" curry, and they brought me Indian hot instead of white person hot, and I could barely eat it. It was almost painful. learned from that mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    Thank you Amy for the recommendation, I just got done eating my Pad Thai and it was very tasty. I am excited to try a couple other things off the menu as well as some of the other places you recommended.
    I'm glad you liked it!!

Oh, I just thought of another one for you Loca - Athenian Express, just south of Roosevelt, on Central (I think, it's right after the split between Central and 1st ave, so you have to be going northbound to hit it). Their gyros are amazing (how I miss them), and they've got this really great house dressing they use on their salads. You can call ahead there as well.