Page 64 of 70 FirstFirst ... 5960616263646566676869 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,920 of 2072

Thread: A Perfect Circle has returned!

Default Re: A Perfect Circle has returned!

It probably means nothing coming from me but every person I know that's done the shows enjoyed themselves. None of them like emotive.

I will now definitely be doing Universal cause i scored a pit ticket!

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    So if someone uses the lyrics to Stairway to Heaven but puts it to different music it's merely "inspiration" and not a cover?
    I dont think inspiration was what I really wanted to say.

As far as I'm concerned, some of that music was written before the lyrics were applied to them.

All those songs are their material written prior to the production of that album. They wanted to put out another album and also say something about the war. The music was written but for whatever reason they didnt become full original songs. My understanding is that it works like this:

1. Billy writes a song.
    2. Maynard likes it and it becomes A Perfect Circle.
    3. Maynard writes lyrics and works with Billy tweaking the song until its finished.

With eMotive, I imagine it went:

1. Billy wrote a bunch of songs.
    2. Maynard couldn't/wouldn't write lyrics
    3. They used lyrics from other songs
    4. They became APC music + other songs lyrics

A cover song, to me, includes not only the lyrics but also a reasonable recreation of the sound/musical structure/tempo of a song so much so that if you heard the "cover song" without the lyrics, you would be able to identify it.

This is a cover song.

This is not a cover song.

Granted there probably is some degree of "inspiration" that each original imparts to its doppelganger but that pretty much stops at the lyrics.

Also, it kind of makes sense that they also put Passive on the album as that was an APC song that they had had on the shelf for years and they threw that on the album with the other original tracks that Billy had written. So you have an album of 12 songs: 12 original scores, 2 with original lyrics and 10 with lyrics from other artists.

Everyone is so hung up on the lyrics and misses all the music. If there was an instrumental version of that album, it would be platinum.
    Last edited by Wheres the beef?; 07-21-2011 at 06:24 PM.

I cannot divorce myself from the lyrics or the fact that Maynard was, initially, the reason I listened to the band. What you are describing are the arrangements Billy came up with around already very well known songs. They may well have stemmed from original song ideas he had for a third album but the moment Maynard sang other artist's lyrics to them, they became cover songs.

The question around eMotive (for me anyway) is "were they good covers?" Well, some were. But most were not... they are not better or on par with the originals. We can disagree over this point but I just don't see it. And especially not when considering the output of APC's first two albums.

On a side note- another artist who I love and recently went this direction is Peter Gabriel. The last two shows I saw him perform had many covers (New Blood). His concept is "I'll cover one of your songs, if you'll cover one of mine". It's not working out exactly as planned in that regard, but his cover of the Talking Heads "The Listening Wind" and Paul Simon's "The Boy in the Bubble" are tunes he has truly made his own. There's a process to make that work. APC did not do it with eMotive.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

old school

Robert Plant has done couple really good cover albums since 2002.

Anyone else going to be at the Open Air Theatre, in general standing on Tuesday?

Last night was my fav show I've done this tour so far. So fuckin good. They've really tightened things up while I've been away. Can't wait for tonight.

I will be in san diego in 5th row unless I decide to upgrade.

P.s. texas security guys can blow me. I feel like everytime I'm in tx I have a run in with a rent-a-cop

Last night was awesome. Don't know what all the bad reviews are about. I really enjoyed it. The setlist was a perfect mix of emotive and original material.

P.s. texas security guys can blow me. I feel like everytime I'm in tx I have a run in with a rent-a-cop
    seriously? I thought there was an alarming lack of security. Besides the initial pat down to get in, there were no security checking tickets to get to the floor. I literally walked all the way to third row center and not one person checked my ticket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

The initial pat down was a bit much, though. I asked the guy if he was going to buy me dinner.
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

Could you guys post a set list for last night?

I was front row and they let us stand against the barricade at first and then FLIPPED OUT mid-show and made us all go back to our seats. Very bizarre.
    I was more specifically referring to an incident that occurred after the show though. I just find that TX security guys tend to power trip waaaaay too much.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kingsblend420 View Post
    I dont think inspiration was what I really wanted to say.

As far as I'm concerned, some of that music was written before the lyrics were applied to them.

All those songs are their material written prior to the production of that album. They wanted to put out another album and also say something about the war. The music was written but for whatever reason they didnt become full original songs. My understanding is that it works like this:

1. Billy writes a song.
    2. Maynard likes it and it becomes A Perfect Circle.
    3. Maynard writes lyrics and works with Billy tweaking the song until its finished.

With eMotive, I imagine it went:

1. Billy wrote a bunch of songs.
    2. Maynard couldn't/wouldn't write lyrics
    3. They used lyrics from other songs
    4. They became APC music + other songs lyrics

A cover song, to me, includes not only the lyrics but also a reasonable recreation of the sound/musical structure/tempo of a song so much so that if you heard the "cover song" without the lyrics, you would be able to identify it.

This is a cover song.

This is not a cover song.

Granted there probably is some degree of "inspiration" that each original imparts to its doppelganger but that pretty much stops at the lyrics.

Also, it kind of makes sense that they also put Passive on the album as that was an APC song that they had had on the shelf for years and they threw that on the album with the other original tracks that Billy had written. So you have an album of 12 songs: 12 original scores, 2 with original lyrics and 10 with lyrics from other artists.

Everyone is so hung up on the lyrics and misses all the music. If there was an instrumental version of that album, it would be platinum.
    So just to be clear, you deny what a cover song is.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

My thoughts exactly. I have no idea how someone could say these songs aren't covers...

Last night was a great show!!! Based off reviews I was expecting worse, but I was very pleased. While not the biggest fan of emotive, I'm glad I spent the money on the floor tickets!
    2007: Coachella, Voodoo
    2008: Bonnaroo, ACL
    2009: Jam Cruise, Bonnaroo, Voodoo
    2010: Jam Cruise, Coachella, Sasquatch, Nocturnal, Voodoo
    2011: Nocturnal, Fun Fun Fun Fest
    2012: Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza, Fun Fun Fun Fest
    2013: TomorrowWorld, ACL

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    So just to be clear, you deny what a cover song is.
    I thought that was pretty clear.

Quote Originally Posted by rodStewart View Post
    My thoughts exactly. I have no idea how someone could say these songs aren't covers...
    Well I guess that we have a different interpretations of what a "cover song" is. These songs are original a perfect circle material with a "cover version" of a song. At best. Its not a "cover song" which includes both a recreation of the original sounds of a song and the lyrics.

Original material + cover lyrics = not a cover song. Cover version. Maybe. But my point is just that this music is their material that was written before they decided to put out the album. So to write off the album as "not good" because the songs are "cover songs" is a cop-out. Now if you don't like the material, that's fine. But its one thing to say you don't like it because of the sound of the album, and another to dismiss the entire work based on the fact that Maynard didn't write some lyrics.
    Last edited by Wheres the beef?; 07-23-2011 at 11:00 PM.

No, they are right, you really don't understand what a cover is.

When NIN did "Get Down, Make Love" it wasn't a cover? Same when Soft Cell covered "Tainted Love"?
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

I disagree.

Its one thing if the band sat down and decided to put out another album, they picked some songs that all had a central theme, wrote some music to those songs, added the vocals, and put out the album.

But these songs were written before this song became Imagine, or that song became When The Levee Breaks. And, I think, its that point where we disagree. These songs could have easily became an actual album (if you want to call it that) if Maynard had sung some lyrics to it, yes. But, I don't think that the lack of original lyrics should detract from the original material that was created independent and prior to the creation of the "cover versions".
    Last edited by Wheres the beef?; 07-23-2011 at 11:09 PM.

I think you and Rob VanWinkle would get along swimmingly when it comes to this matter
    Last edited by stinkbutt; 07-23-2011 at 11:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Its off by one beat! Its all mine!

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Well I guess that we have a different interpretations of what a "cover song" is. These songs are original a perfect circle material with a "cover version" of a song. At best. Its not a "cover song" which includes both a recreation of the original sounds of a song and the lyrics.

Original material + cover lyrics = not a cover song. Cover version. Maybe. But my point is just that this music is their material that was written before they decided to put out the album. So to write off the album as "not good" because the songs are "cover songs" is a cop-out. Now if you don't like the material, that's fine. But its one thing to say you don't like it because of the sound of the album, and another to dismiss the entire work based on the fact that Maynard didn't write some lyrics.
    But you do realize that words mean things, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

So by your definition Richard Cheese doesnt do covers. Plenty of artists create original versions of previously recorded songs. By definition these are covers.

Youre making it sound like Billy and the gang were sitting around watching The Wizard of Oz then Maynard stops by and threw Dark Side of the Moon into the cd player and said "hey this works!".

No.
    Last edited by disgustipated; 07-24-2011 at 08:43 AM.

Also, passive is not an APC original. It is a Tapeworm cover.
    Last edited by disgustipated; 07-24-2011 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Because I cant type on this stupid phone

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    But you do realize that words mean things, right?
    Fucking words, how do they work?

SO fucking glad I did the TX shows, my favorites so far for sure. Some randz tried to run onstage last night and got his ass HANDED to him by 3 security guards. He made it all the way up and was laying on the stage with just his feet hanging off and they literally yanked him off by his legs. It was intense.

They changed the beginning of Levee last night to just be Maynard singing solo for a few lines with minimal instrumentation and then it kicks in after a few "if it keeps on raining..." Sounded really good but at first I thought something was wrong cause Billy was all the way off on side stage. Not sure if they're gonna keep it that way or what. Guess you guys will find out tomorrow

AGHHH! Can't wait for Tuesday...!

I'm fucking pumped!

And I have a hard time believing all the eMotive music was written and arranged before they decided to make it a cover album. Is there a quote on that somewhere or something?

Very soon, it will be all about Caturday in Bezerkeley!!!!!
    8/07 LeMaitre @ The Rickshaw Stop (?)
    8/08-8/10 Outside Lands #5
    8/11 NONONO @ GAMH
    8/23 NIN and Soundgarden @ Shoreline
    9/27 Simian Mobile Disco @ The Mezzanine
    10/5 The War On Drugs @ The Fillmore
    10/10 Woman's Hour @ the Rickshaw Stop
    10/24 Little Dragon @ the Fox Theatre
    10/24 Rfs Du Sol @ The Mezzanine
    11/29 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre

APC on Thurs into Muse/RATM a mere two days later. It's on us So Cals. Just... wow. No words.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Lately, it sure has been all about the 90s, in a good way of course.
    8/07 LeMaitre @ The Rickshaw Stop (?)
    8/08-8/10 Outside Lands #5
    8/11 NONONO @ GAMH
    8/23 NIN and Soundgarden @ Shoreline
    9/27 Simian Mobile Disco @ The Mezzanine
    10/5 The War On Drugs @ The Fillmore
    10/10 Woman's Hour @ the Rickshaw Stop
    10/24 Little Dragon @ the Fox Theatre
    10/24 Rfs Du Sol @ The Mezzanine
    11/29 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre

Speaking of the 90's

http://grungereport.net/?p=5989

Billy Corgan can kiss my fucking ass.

Wow, last night got The Package, Rose and Magdalena. I hope we can get that lucky.