Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Primer: 10 Essential Albums

Default Re: Primer: 10 Essential Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    Thanks. Care to tackle one of the other blues genres you mentioned?
    Sure man, any preferences? I was thinking of either Texas or Chicago blues.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I'm still waiting for Jack White to finally admit that he invented the guitar.

Damn, that was an awesome post-rock write-up. I really want to go track down the albums listed there that I haven't heard yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

Nice Post Rock Primer Mr. Ill. Very well done. Looking forward to listening to this playlist during the week. On another note(s), I am cursing Apple at the moment. After working on the Synth Pop list for a few days. I opened the file on my phone to review it before transfering it to the forum and right before my eyes I saw it load, then refresh and 2/3 of the file disappears. GRUMBLE!!!! Back to work.
    Wow, 12 step meetings at Coachella, who knew? SOBERCHELLA.COM

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case....

Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    Sure man, any preferences? I was thinking of either Texas or Chicago blues.
    Either one is fine with me. Whatever you want to do. One question though...what exactly is "Pre-War" Blues?

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

Blues from before there was any war.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Wheels Of Cheese

Needless to say, people didn't really get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

Either one is fine with me. Whatever you want to do. One question though...what exactly is "Pre-War" Blues?
    Blues prior to WWII. Not a genre so much as a time designation. Would include guys like most of the "Blind" bluesmen (Lemon Jefferson, Blake, Willie McTell, Willie Johnson etc), Charley Patton, Robert Johnson, Rev. Gary Davis and countless others. Essentially the foundation of modern blues.

I'm leaning towards Texas, although Chicago would be much easier and probably more relevant to someone who hasn't spent much time with the blues. Probably just do both.
    Last edited by greghead; 09-14-2010 at 04:54 PM.

I'm leaning towards Texas, although Chicago would be much easier and probably more relevant to someone who hasn't spent much time with the blues. Probably just do both.
    Cool. I've listened to a lot of Robert Johnson and Muddy Waters.... but not much beyond that.

I really liked Jeff's Free Jazz list and Zach's writeup on Shoegaze. The latter ended with a few albums I'll be checking out, the former had a few artists that were new to me (Shepp, Brotzmann, Burrell.)

And that was a nice set on the Delta Blues, too; I will have to hear some Big Joe Williams.
    Last edited by mountmccabe; 09-14-2010 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidsnake28 View Post
    I haven't had time to do a full one but here's some for black metal:

De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas - Mayhem

Translvannian Hunger -Darkthrone

Storm of the Light's Bane - Dissection

and anything from Burzum.
    Somehow I think it is appropriate to go ahead and do mine anyway:

I have only really come to metal in the past five or so years. I mean, sure, before then I liked me some Metallica and Fear Factory but I skipped the extremes. I have since come to see metal as being ALL about extremes. When I think of the fastest music I know, it is metal. When I think of the slowest music I know, it is metal. When I think of the most complex music I know it is classical, then metal. When I think of the most aggressive, most abrasive, most vile... it is metal. These are not always combined in one band/album/song/sub-genre but they are all metal. This is what my attraction to the overall genre has been and why I have ignored much of the stuff - even well regarded music - that is not crazy extreme.

Black metal grew out of thrash and crust punk in the early 80s. Venom released an album called Black Metal in 1982 but it is more proto-Black Metal, it doesn't have the troll rasp and you can sort of hear what the guitars are doing. It's something to hear but I'd look for others first.

Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark. The Swedish band Bathory were playing full fledged black metal from the start. This album, from 1987 was them at the peak of their powers... or at least they started presaging Viking Metal (which'd be a separate writeup.) Track: "Equimanthorn"

Immortal - Battles in the North. Early Immortal is pretty special. Indistinct guitars, thundering blast beats, bizarre almost spoken vocals. They also had all the corpse-paint and leather/spikes wear one thinks of. Basically these guys are well in on the joke and it lets them go all out without getting to the "killing your friends and band members" or "burning churches" bits of black metal that I must admit are a bit too extreme for me. Track: "Grim and Frostbitten Kingdoms," because the "You must come to me-ee" part makes me break out in laughter every time. Also consider their 2002 release Sons of Northern Darkness, which is only slightly more thrashy/melodic (and in some ways, better for it.)

Emperor were a Norwegian symphonic black metal band - which means they added synths and chorused "whoah" to their low-fi troll rasping devil music. In the Nightside Eclipse is the album for me, with "Cosmic Keys to My Creations and Times" being the standout.

Taake - Over Bjoergvin Graater Himmelrik. Some times I like part 1 the best, with the piano breakdown. Sometimes I can't get over how well part 2 starts, but when I'm listening to the album it's part 4 that really gets me; it just flows so well within the album and does so, so much. The guitars are showing here but that's OK, they are interesting and the base is relentless enough to make it feel like torture.

Abruptum - Obscuritatem Advoco Amplectere Me. Abruptum said, hey, we can take this further. Fuck this "songs" bullshit, we're going to just play punishing music-esque noise in 25 minute chunks and people will like it. I mean, really, what the fuck. Amazing stuff.

Weakling - Dead as Dreams. Yeah, they only lasted two years and only put out one full length. So what. Fuck you. Track: the title track is 20 minutes and awesome.

Ulver - Nattens madrigal. They shift around, musically, a lot. But this album is beast.

Xasthur - Subliminal Genocide. "Victims of Your Dreams" is particularly terrifying.

Marduk - Heaven Shall Burn... When We Are Gathered. More black - that is less melodic, louder, faster, more brutal. Track: "Darkness It Shall Be."

9 albums and not really doing writeups for the last few is more metal.

Cool. I've listened to a lot of Robert Johnson and Muddy Waters.... but not much beyond that.
    Alright, well I'll have some really good stuff for you tomorrow afternoon; stay tuned.

Alright, well I'll have some really good stuff for you tomorrow afternoon; stay tuned.
    Great, thanks. Looking forward to it.

John, I like your list, but I will have to agree with Tim that Burzum is essential to a full Black Metal list. He's one of the most problematic artists I really love, what with the whole murder and burn down churches and connections to Nazism and White Power. It's a struggle though, because for how horrid a person he is, he makes some truly excellent music. Hvis Lyset Tarr Oss, Filosofim and Belus are all masterworks of Black Metal, both shining examples of what the genre can achieve and records that really moved the sound forward. He's also got two interesting ambient keyboard albums he made while in jail.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Wheels Of Cheese

Quote Originally Posted by FoxeyLady View Post
    Dub Reggae
    I think I could whip something up...
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Still-ill View Post
    10 Albums Essential To Those Interested In The Genre Known as "Post-Rock"

5. Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun
    I will have to check some of these out, I know far too little post-rock... but is sigur ros really considered post-rock? I would not have put them in that category.

also, if souldischarge felt like making the effort, an index on the first page would be super useful.

Wheels Of Cheese

It's more or less "for lack of a better classification". The elements are definitely there though.

Wheels Of Cheese

10 Essential Dub Albums

Growing up, I never liked reggae. I mean, it had it's moments with me, but on the whole I found it droll... I found people who liked it harmless, but that didn't mean I wanted to be around them. Perhaps, it was their obsessive nature. I didn't get it, they were fanatical and it seemed foolish and stupid to me. This made me frustrated, but this was your run-of-the-mill Bob Marley reggae, this wasn't Lee "Scratch" Perry. Dub is a whole different ballpark, it is more about atmosphere, which is why such amazing artists as This Heat and The Pop Group hired dub producers for their albums (this fact being a big reason I even began listening to the genre), they had a special and timeless relationship with their mixers. Although formulaic, like all reggae, this stuff really changes the space you're in, much like the experimental musics of today. I'm no expert, I'll admit, but of the 14 artists I have in my collection, these are all great. If you don't like reggae, if you find it trite, listen to this... it WILL fill that void.

10. Sly & Robbie - A Dub Experience

In what sounds like more an exercise in hip-hop, Sly & Robbie created a true rhythmic masterpiece. No guitar, not much bass, just electronic and organic drumming paired with some weird dub home-made sound effects, and maybe-just maybe- the occasion shot of saxophone. IF you are interested in producing Hip-hop, get this album, like... now.

9. Mad Professor - Dub Me Crazy pt. 2 (Beyond the Realms of Dub)

Mad Professor. Emphasis on the "mad". A hodgepodge of drums, bass, guitar, hoops, hollers, djembes, ziings, rim shots, snare rolls, organs, celestial rings, and some out of this world vocals.

8. Darker than Blue: Soul From Jamdown 1973-1980

A compilation, not much to say here.

7. Burning Spear - Garvey's Ghost

Marcus Garvey is the Muhammad of Rastafari movement, a true hero in Jamaican culture, who is worshiped (literally) by many to this day. "Garvey's Ghost" was a song written and recorded by Max Roach in 1961. Here is Burning Spear's take on the man known as Marcus Garvey. It's solid in every way, it makes sense why this one is so well respected in circles outside of Jamaica.

6. Linton Kwesi Johnson - Dread Beat an' Blood

Produced by a fellow who will appear later on this list (Dennis Bovell), this album is the product of Dub Poet Linton Kwesi Johnson. I don't know much about him, but what I do know is that many of his lyrics are still spray-painted inside tube stations all over London, whether the rapscallions know the source of the words they're etching on those muddied walls isn't important. Although, I'd like to think they do.

(Fun fact: LKJ's wikipedia photo was taken at the Coachella valley music & arts festival)
    5. Tradition - Tell Your Friends About Dub

Despite being name Tradition, this group aren't actually from Jamaica. They were one of the more popular UK bands that dwelled in the genre. Definitely one to check out.

4. King Tubby - Dub Like Dirt

Ever wondered where the concept of the "remix" came from? Look no farther than King Tubby. A truly inspired engineer, King Tubby was a very creative mind behind a mixing desk, his fantastic use of compression is still looked upon today with impressed gazes.

3. Blackbeard - Strictly Dub Wize

How did the Pop Group manage to sound so haunted? Well it was probably because of Dub producer extrodinaire Dennis Bovell aka Blackbeard. His impressive body of work includes albums by The Thompson Twins, Sharon Shannon, Alpha Blondy, Bananarama, The Pop Group, Fela Kuti, The Slits, Orange Juice and Madness. This was my first excursion into Dub and it was a good one, I loved how downright ethereal the instruments managed to sound, as a student majoring in audio engineering, it fascinated me. Still does.

2. Scientist - Rids the World of the Evil Curse of the Vampires

Yes, that is the greatest album title of all time, and that cover? It's so good I couldn't bring myself to constrict it to 300x300... we need 900x900 glory! Is it fair to judge this book by it's cover? YES! The music is as good as what appears on the surface. Entrancing is an understatement as far as the rhythm section goes, the vocals blast in with machine gun delay (seeming to bounce around endlessly in the background), the guitars squeak with Mayfield like precision and patience. A classic in any genre.

1. (Lee "Scratch" Perry) The Upsetters - Super Ape

Dub seems to have and intensely inconclusive fan base, but if there is one album that is always hailed as a classic (and as far as I know, this is the only one) it's Super Ape. I really don't have much to write about here, I could throw some adjectives at you... but that wouldn't be pertinent at this time. Just pick this one up and listen, don't let me influence you on this one.
    Last edited by Still-ill; 09-15-2010 at 08:56 AM.

old school

^^Ooh, sweet. Looking forward to the rest.
    I am neither foxy, nor a lady.

Neil Young - Kanye West - Beck - PJ Harvey - The Knife - Basement Jaxx - Tom Waits - Shpongle (Live) - Flying Lotus (Live) - The Avalanches - Autechre - Eels - Fat Freddy's Drop - Liquid Liquid - OFWGKTA - Freddie Gibbs - Big K.R.I.T. - Phantogram - Christian Scott - Nosaj Thing - Gold Panda - James Blake

For 2011

Wheels Of Cheese

done.

Wheels Of Cheese

Also, I'd love it if someone were to do a Drone metal list.

Quote Originally Posted by Still-ill View Post
    It's more or less "for lack of a better classification". The elements are definitely there though.
    This brings up a good point: a lot of people just list albums, without an intro describing what the essential "elements" (as you see them) of the genre are. Or other assumptions, opinions, or commentaries that inform your list.
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

Quote Originally Posted by york707 View Post
    This brings up a good point: a lot of people just list albums, without an intro describing what the essential "elements" (as you see them) of the genre are. Or other assumptions, opinions, or commentaries that inform your list.
    Yeah, that Post-Rock list was a great read Mr. Ill (The Dub one wasn't so much fun to read, but it was clear your knowledge wasn't as extensive on the topic. I just listened to some Blackbeard tracks on youtube though and that is some killer shit and I don't even like dub i just loooove the Pop Group and that works). But what i came in here to post about was York's point about "elements' and whatever. Your Post-rock list writeup was basically solely about what made these albums classified the way you classified them. It made a lot of sense, but am I wrong in saying that most Post-rock is vocal-less? I don't listen to much post-rock but my girlfriend does and she has always said that it's all about being sans vocals and what not, and that is what true post-rock is. Is she just nearsighted, or is that what many feel? I bring it up because I think 6 or 7/10 of the albums you listed had vocals.. (keep in my mind my GF is a bit of pretentious hipster and I'm just very intrigued to maybe get a little revenge for her calling me out about making a "stupid" statement about post-rock after reading your write-up)

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    John, I like your list, but I will have to agree with Tim that Burzum is essential to a full Black Metal list. He's one of the most problematic artists I really love, what with the whole murder and burn down churches and connections to Nazism and White Power. It's a struggle though, because for how horrid a person he is, he makes some truly excellent music. Hvis Lyset Tarr Oss, Filosofim and Belus are all masterworks of Black Metal, both shining examples of what the genre can achieve and records that really moved the sound forward. He's also got two interesting ambient keyboard albums he made while in jail.
    I cannot argue with this and this is one reason I left my list at 9.

But I couldn't include Burzum because I have only heard one album (the 1992 debut self-titled) and I don't consider it on the level of the albums of the list.

At some point I should probably listen to those later albums... but I am also OK with it not being that soon.

Holy...how did I miss this thread? All kinds of awesome. Well done, everyone. I need to come up with a list of some sort...all have been nothing short of excellent.

John, you really need to hear Filosofim. It's an incredible album.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Mikey Dread's World War III should be shoehorned into any top 10 dub list.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Wheels Of Cheese

Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post
    Mikey Dread's World War III should be shoehorned into any top 10 dub list.
    Interesting I'll check it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ergofeev:v.X View Post
    Yeah, that Post-Rock list was a great read Mr. Ill (The Dub one wasn't so much fun to read, but it was clear your knowledge wasn't as extensive on the topic. I just listened to some Blackbeard tracks on youtube though and that is some killer shit and I don't even like dub i just loooove the Pop Group and that works). But what i came in here to post about was York's point about "elements' and whatever. Your Post-rock list writeup was basically solely about what made these albums classified the way you classified them. It made a lot of sense, but am I wrong in saying that most Post-rock is vocal-less? I don't listen to much post-rock but my girlfriend does and she has always said that it's all about being sans vocals and what not, and that is what true post-rock is. Is she just nearsighted, or is that what many feel? I bring it up because I think 6 or 7/10 of the albums you listed had vocals.. (keep in my mind my GF is a bit of pretentious hipster and I'm just very intrigued to maybe get a little revenge for her calling me out about making a "stupid" statement about post-rock after reading your write-up)
    You kind of answered your own question... but to clarify, it doesn't really matter, in my opinion, what is and isn't present, it's a feel.
    Last edited by Still-ill; 09-15-2010 at 10:27 PM.

old school

Mountmcabe, I really like your black metal list. It's obviously much more detailed and therefore commendable than mine but no Mayhem? Really? I also think Translvannian Hunger is essential but I could see why someone would leave Darkthrone off because they weren't always black metal (used to be death metal.) However leaving Mayhem off of a black metal list is completely ridiculous.

yeah. i agree. more glaring than burzum in my opinion.

First time I read this thread. Wow, I learned a lot and going to listen to some stuff I never heard. I suppose I could try a prog list (Yes, ELP) this weekend.
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine