Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Glastonbury 2011 Coachella Board Meetup

Default Re: The Official Glastonbury 2011 Coachella Board Meetup

Also, if the headliners are Prince/Radiohead/Foo Fighters I'll enjoy the fucking hell out of catching at least 3 shows at the Pyramid Stage...
    "It began as a mistake" - Charles Bukowski

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

old school

my god this 1995!

also performing:

* The Verve
    * The Chemical Brothers
    * Massive Attack
    * Plastikman
    * Carl Cox
    * Gil Scott-Heron
    * Orbital
    * Portishead
    * Jeff Buckley

how would you ever be able to attend anything after that?
    Lick an orange, it tastes like an orange. Lick a pineapple, it tastes like a pineapple. Go ahead, try it. Try some more. The strawberries taste like strawberries. The snozzberries taste like snozzberries! We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. Come along, come along.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    He said ''bands'', Marco.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    I know what he said but Eavis also likes to talk out of his ass too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    It seems we've forgotten about this:
    http://www.nme.com/news/glastonbury/52455

So "bands" doesn't necessarily mean bands.
    *COUGH*
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShyGuy75 View Post
    my god this 1995!
    that reminds me of one of the historical write-ups from the nme issue:

NME Stage, 1994
    Sunday lineup: spiritualized, blur, radiohead, inspiral carpets, pulp, chumbawumba, credit to the nation, oasis, echobelly, rub ultra, tiny monroe.

a pivotal day on the nme stage, one which would help shape the destiny of british music - put it this way, four bands went on to headline the pyramid stage TWICE.

I might get bored later and write up the full article.

old school

I have that NME^^ lots of cool stories about Glasto in it.

When is the date you have to register by?
    I am neither foxy, nor a lady.

Neil Young - Kanye West - Beck - PJ Harvey - The Knife - Basement Jaxx - Tom Waits - Shpongle (Live) - Flying Lotus (Live) - The Avalanches - Autechre - Eels - Fat Freddy's Drop - Liquid Liquid - OFWGKTA - Freddie Gibbs - Big K.R.I.T. - Phantogram - Christian Scott - Nosaj Thing - Gold Panda - James Blake

For 2011

Jesus, makes me wonder wtf I missed.

I guess one approach, is to only watch band's I have not heard of.

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

For more incentive to come back next year, I'd say there's about a 90% chance of Emmy the Great playing again.

Oh yeah, 1997 had Daft Punk, Aphex Twin, and that Radio Head band.

But 1998...hard to beat that year. Portishead headlining the Jazz World stage on Friday, Blur on the Pyramid on Saturday, The Pulp headlining on Sunday, plus too many others to list.

So what in the world ever happened to Space?
    Last edited by Boourns; 09-17-2010 at 10:48 PM.
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    that reminds me of one of the historical write-ups from the nme issue:

NME Stage, 1994
    Sunday lineup: spiritualized, blur, radiohead, inspiral carpets, pulp, chumbawumba, credit to the nation, oasis, echobelly, rub ultra, tiny monroe.

a pivotal day on the nme stage, one which would help shape the destiny of british music - put it this way, four bands went on to headline the pyramid stage TWICE.

I might get bored later and write up the full article.
    Looking at that issue right now. Wow, Johnny Cash and Orbital played that year, too. I have no idea who Inspira; Carpets, Credit to the Nation, or Tiny Monroe are.

I liked this one:
    The Top 10 Secret Gigs

Worthy Farm has witnessed a trend for superstars turning up in weird places.

Lady Gaga (2009) - Headed for the appropriately colourful Shangri-La area for a 1am set during which she was backed by half-naked mannequins.

Madness (2007) - Having not played the event since 1986, the Nutty Boys did a feverishly received hit-laden set in the Lost Vagueness area..

Klaxons (2009) - Did a Park Stage show in fancy dress: one member was Edward Scissorhands, one was the Tin Man, one was a Joker and one a headless man. Substances may have been consumed beforehand.

The Dead Weather (2009) - Jack White's band rocked up the Park Stage to genuine surprise. Mainly from stoners confused about just how many bands he's in.

The Last Shadow Puppets/Jack White (2008) - Alex Turner and Miles Kaine were joined briefly by Jack - during a Billy Fury cover that he had NEVER heard before.

Franz Ferdinand (2008) - The Scots four-piece previewed their third album and played a bunch of hits to a crowd waiting for the likes of John Cale and Dizzee Rascal. You should have seen their faces.

Bruce Springsteen (2009) - The Boss amazed the crowd at the John peel Stage, when he joined The Gaslight Anthem for a tune before his own headline set.

Joss Stone (2007) - None of us can remember this, but are assured it happened.

Lily Allen (2007) - OK, not really a surprise. Her and her dad never seem to leave the fucking place.

Fatboy Slim (nearly every year) - Ditto Norm and his record box.
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

Best way to convince my friends to slap down a deposit, at the very least? I'm thinking some pictures but any shorthand ways to sway them are appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Looking at that issue right now. Wow, Johnny Cash and Orbital played that year, too. I have no idea who Inspira; Carpets, Credit to the Nation, or Tiny Monroe are.
    inspiral carpets are only known now because noel gallagher was their roadie before he was in oasis. I don't know if I have ever heard their music. and yeah, there's bound to be a few forgotten bands scattered, but... between four future headliners. crazy!

For the record, I am definitely getting a deposit, but attendance is VERY lineup dependent. I gotta LOVE what I'm getting into, in order to drop almost 3 grand on an adventure again.

However, for other people, who are considering going for the first time.

DO IT.

I've explained why before.

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

Quote Originally Posted by emtgreg View Post
    For the record, I am definitely getting a deposit, but attendance is VERY lineup dependent. I gotta LOVE what I'm getting into, in order to drop almost 3 grand on an adventure again.

DO IT.

That's the thing, though...Don't we not know what the lineup is going to be until a month or so after tickets on onsale?

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    inspiral carpets are only known now because noel gallagher was their roadie before he was in oasis.
    Yes. Never mind John Peel championing them, or having over 10 top 40 hit singles and 3 top 10 albums in the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Quote Originally Posted by emtgreg View Post

DO IT.

Exactly this. I wanted to try something different instead of making the same costly pilgrimage three years in a row, but if it really is U2/Radiohead/Prince...can't miss that. That and reflecting on memories, watching videos, looking at my pics, etc always makes the desire to attend again unbearable.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonshman View Post
    That's the thing, though...Don't we not know what the lineup is going to be until a month or so after tickets on onsale?
    The lineup was announced at the end of May in 2009 and the middle of April this year, but the headliners for each were known well in advance. You have until April (March for international people) to commit 100% of just back out.

Once the Coachella and Bonnaroo lineups come out, you'll have a good idea what the festival whores will be for 2011, as well. All of them won't make it there, though.

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/10/100915c.shtml

more early entertainment recommended for Glastonbury 2011
    Glastonbury Festival 2010 annual report is published
    Wednesday 15th September 2010

The Debrief Reports Glastonbury Festival 2010 have been released by Mendip District Council, with the council making recommendations for extra entertainment on the first few days of the Festival to help prevent overcrowding of areas such as the bars and their surrounding areas.

The report says that Glastonbury Festival is a safe event, thanks to the audience it attracts, with The Avon and Somerset Constabulary report declaring the Festival was a well planned and professionally managed event. Some issues are identified particularly the lack of entertainment Thursday (and possibly also Wednesday) leading to overcrowding of areas such as the bars and their surrounding areas, and overcrowding in the late night area of the Festival. The report commends the Festival for it instigating early entry to the car parks on Tuesday night, and reveals that crime at the festival is on the decrease, although like many festivals theft is still a problem on the first few nights. The Festival also receives a very positive environmental report.

The main issue identified this year relates to live entertainment outside the licensed period. Whilst this did not occur on any of the main stages, it reveals live music did take place early on the licensed site on at least 2 separate locations. The report identifies that the early arrival of Festival goers puts more pressure on the smaller venues on the Wednesday and Thursday nights as the main stages do not open until Friday. The council therefore makes recommendations for extra entertainment on these nights to help prevent overcrowding in these areas.

The report does raise a few other concerns about overcrowding at the Festival, although it commends the Festival's competitive scheduling and the huge number and variety of venues and attractions that do go a long way to promoting good crowd movements.

The Festival's well informed friendly easy going mixed age group audience all contribute to the making of a safe festival in terms of crowd movements, although it does warn that with more younger and less Glastonbury Festival wise visitors they could have an impact on future crowd safety.

The report recommends that the layout in terms of circulation space in the south east corner of the site will need to be reviewed. The Shangri La and Block Nine areas, which were popular with festival-goers after the main music stages had closed, were a victim of their own success and cause the worst congestion problems at night. It is also here that attractions in Arcadia and the Unfair Ground take up so much space that free flowing circulation is impossible, and proposes the Festival consider relocating these attractions.

The Council report congratulates the Festival on resolving the traffic issues for those arriving on the Wednesday, which in 2009 caused significant disruption to the surrounding area. This year to prevent a recurrence the gates to the car park and campervan fields opened early on the Tuesday evening. This initiative resulted in significantly less traffic around the site on the Wednesday and significantly lowered the impact on local residents last year.

The report does suggest that if this initiative is repeated Festival organisers shouldn't change the way that is done, keeping to the stringent conditions about the activities available to the public and careful marketing. The Festival is asked to work on getting arrivals through the gates a bit quicker, to alleviate long pedestrian queueing times. The report does point out that routing of festival traffic is still a problem and as with previous years the A39 struggled to cope with the volume of traffic.

The increased provision for camping is commended by the Council although it recommends future planning on the location of the water points and sanitation arrangements. Although the reports do point out that over the last couple of years the footprint of the site has become larger with more and more off-site 'glamping' locations.

There were 509 crimes reported at this year's Festival, a reduction of 31 and a 6% decrease on the levels of 2009. This is similar to the crime levels reported in 2005.

The report also reveals a number of forged wristbands were seized and a significant arrest made, and some people were ejected from the site for not having wristbands. There was also one death at the Festival which appears to have been an adverse reaction related to the taking of a controlled drug. By far the largest amount of crime was theft with the Police report revealing that a strong trend has emerged at this festival and others around the country over the last 3 years regarding the timings of the thefts from tents. The majority of offences occur between the hours of 0200 and 0600 on the first 2 or 3 nights of the festival.

There were also some concerns about the selling of alcohol, with reports that several of the bars were open for the sale of alcohol, and food stalls open for the sale of food. Although the site was not actually open to the public, the sale of alcohol and food to other traders is not permitted without a licence.It also highlights that alcohol sales were made to underage drinkers, and drinks not always sold in correctly measured glasses.

The Festival also gets an excellent environmental report with the Environment Agency saying they very pleased with the way that the Festival reduced any impact on the watercourse significantly.

The Mendip Council reports are available to read (here).

When I encountered those travelers breaking into tents, it was around 1100 on Friday night, and when I found Security, they were uninterested, (but they were super busy with ALOT of traffic on their radios)

I also only saw Cops on Thursday and on Sunday, never in between.

It makes no mention of the tremendous amounts of pick pockets that are there.

Basically, you are required to watch your own back. follow the basic rules of travelling internationally, and you will be fine. You can be pick pocketed, robbed anywhere, and a mostly unregulated festival in the middle of a foreign country is no exception

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

I never got pick pocketed, not even in prague.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    Yes. Never mind John Peel championing them, or having over 10 top 40 hit singles and 3 top 10 albums in the UK.
    I wasn't trying to make a judgement earlier, just that is the only reason I had ever heard anyone speak of them. they may have been fantastic, but it's amazing how quickly a band can be forgotten.

So this might be a stupid question but during the rest of the year is it even an active farm still?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Yes, it is an active dairy farm the rest of the year.

in michael eavis' talk in the acoustic tent he said how they used to have problems with people leaving tent pegs in the ground. if they cut the grass after the tent pegs would get cut up into shards, which the cows would then sometimes eat and slice open their stomachs. he says this isn't a problem any more as they have a machine with a giant magnet that they use to pull all the tent pegs out of the ground. they haven't lost a cow in years.

he also said the farm is doing really well, very profitable at the moment.

Shall we do a formal headcount?

Definite:

Maybe:
    Boourns (+0-2) - pending $$ and lineup
    emtgreg
    Cookieman908
    unit300021
    PlayaDelWes
    Gonshman (plus friends?)

Wow. Did anyone catch this?

Still can't believe I didn't properly Slumbarave this year. I went in on Thursday and peeked around for a few minutes but that was it. From these pics and description, it sounds amazing.
    Last edited by Boourns; 09-19-2010 at 03:06 PM.

Definite:

Maybe:
    Boourns (+0-2) - pending $$ and lineup
    emtgreg
    Cookieman908
    unit300021
    PlayaDelWes
    Gonshman (plus friends?)
    Thisismyname (+1)

Not that anyone knows who I am or anything.

old school

I would love to, but highly doubt it would happen :P

I will be playing the lotto for the next few weeks. If I win, count me in.
    I go to shows and festivals.
    Photos.
    http://www.facebook.com/photos.php?id=174734597279
    Over 1000 youtube videos from concerts
    http://http://www.youtube.com/thefestivalninja

I am sure if someone from this board were to win the lottery, many here would benefit greatly.

I am willing to make that sacrifice for everyone, to win the lottery, and enjoy it for you all!

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

Okay so I'm registered, on the third try. Tried cropping my pic myself on the 2nd try but it still wasn't to their liking. So went to a photoshop and paid for it. Fucking Glastonbury.

old school

I registered, I doubt I will go, but hey, registering is one step closer

Put me down for Definite in 2013