Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Glastonbury 2011 Coachella Board Meetup

Default Re: The Official Glastonbury 2011 Coachella Board Meetup

the prices look expensive, but remember with exchange rates, its still yet twice as much in us dollars as it looks...

but its like going to london and never leaving your hotel, or visiting italy and only talking to the americans on the bus...

or visiting spain and never trying the chocolate, not getting filthy and discovering your limits, sort of makes you miss the point?

I found my limit at glasto, many of us did.

I look forward to seeing it again.
    "It began as a mistake" - Charles Bukowski

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

Quote Originally Posted by ShyGuy75 View Post
    u can take care of yourself just fine inside, and if you plan on taking it easy at night, you will be cheating yourself out of many things imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    taking care of yourselves 8 am to 4 pm, however, cheats you out of very little. some shelter from the elements during that time would definitely have been nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    There's also a 24 hour lockup where you can leave your valuables.
    Quote Originally Posted by emtgreg View Post
    If you're gonna spend the money on those, MAKE SURE that it comes with "HOSPITALITY PASSES"…Also, there's only two I would really consider, 1. the one that has its own private entrance to Shangri La and 2. the one that gives you go cart rides into the fest.
    As for these luxury offsite options, keep in mind they are all a long walk from everything and anything. Everything inside the gates is already a long walk from everything else.
    This is all constructive feedback. What are the perks of staying inside? Clearly, the comforts of some of the off-site places hold value to some people, otherwise they wouldn’t exist. I know what the difference is between staying in a tent at Coachella, an RV, a Hotel, and a House. Each come with perks and annoyances. I want to hear more on the disadvantages of these offsite places and why camping inside is so great.

old school

wow, fauxy. your last post makes zero sense on every level. an accomplishment even for you. congrats.
    Lick an orange, it tastes like an orange. Lick a pineapple, it tastes like a pineapple. Go ahead, try it. Try some more. The strawberries taste like strawberries. The snozzberries taste like snozzberries! We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. Come along, come along.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

lol dummy.

offsite you get alot more shelter, you get respite from the constant roar of the festival, you have access to clean, private showers...

you get to avoid shitting and pissing in a "long drop".

you get a comfortable, clean bed, and all the assurances that "travelers" (basically traveling homeless people that live by stealing) are not going to gank your stuff.

disadvantages? distance, you are SUPER FAR AWAY from everything, until you are there, you really do not have a sense of scale. The festival itself is GIANT, and it can take literally hours to cross it at peak times, if you want to "just run back to camp for a jacket" you can loose 2 hours of your day just in walking.

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

old school

i honestly see no advantage to sleeping outside the fence. i didn't even know these options existed until today. i thought the only tipis were the ones you can get that are located next to the stone circle. i would think you would feel a bit removed from it all if you stayed outside the fence. if you are going to go all that way, you may as well get dirty with the masses. i'm sure others have different opinions.
    Lick an orange, it tastes like an orange. Lick a pineapple, it tastes like a pineapple. Go ahead, try it. Try some more. The strawberries taste like strawberries. The snozzberries taste like snozzberries! We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. Come along, come along.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    This is all constructive feedback. What are the perks of staying inside? Clearly, the comforts of some of the off-site places hold value to some people, otherwise they wouldn’t exist. I know what the difference is between staying in a tent at Coachella, an RV, a Hotel, and a House. Each come with perks and annoyances. I want to hear more on the disadvantages of these offsite places and why camping inside is so great.
    I haven't been to any of the offsite places, but I have heard that they are nice, quiet, expensive, showers are better, etc. The only negatives I've heard were that it can be expensive, far from any action and that's it's not much of a party. But some onsite camping areas inside the gates are far away from anything, anyway. We got lucky and were 5 minutes away from the Stone Circle, Park area, Other Stage. I guess if an extra 15-30 minutes each way each time you want to go to your tent matters to you or not. If you only use your tent for sleeping and changing, who really cares? If you go regularly to change clothes at night, dump swag, chat with neighbors, etc, then it would be an issue.

As for the camp partying bit, it's really your call. If it helps, I've found the campgrounds at Coachella a little livelier at night. Not that people don't party at camp (and we had awesome neighbors this year), but I guess it's because there's so much going on all hours of the night, and everything's spread out, so people are all over (drinking is legal and there's at least a dozen places for alcohol in the Shangri-la alone, hippies and their bongos and their drugs go to the Stone Circle, dj's and silent discos all night so no makeshift PLUR tents).

Of course, just because you're sleeping outside the fence doesn't mean you can't do a dozen balloons at the Stone Circle at 5am.

Personally, I think the filth and the hardships are part of the experience. I'd recommend trying it once for authenticity, and then you know if you can handle it again or if you'd rather return to your comfort level next time. No matter what you do, your feet are going to die either way. That is one part I could do without.
    Last edited by Boourns; 09-17-2010 at 01:43 PM.
    7/26 Au Revoir Simone @ The Roxy, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ Observatory, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

old school

too much talking, not enough action

point is, the more comfortable you are, the more apt you are to never leave the tent, and never actually experience the festival.

so yeah, say outside and be comfortable and have a respite...and a respite is sometimes neccesary, I will admit myself, that shyguy75 is in substantially better shape than I am...I am older, fatter and much weaker...so he can hike in, have a great time and Hike out...

don't get me wrong, i did it too, but i was fucking annihilated afterwards. if you are older than I am, weaker than I am or have a more sensitive disposition, and need that 4-8 hours of solid sleep, seriously consider the offsite options. Just surviving the festival was one of the most difficult things I've ever done, but like most difficult things, it was completely fucking worth it.

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

too much talking, not enough action
    Good call.

Anyone notice that someone is up front waving the California/Everton Football Club flags on the same pole in both videos? I wonder who this person is because I saw those two flags together at half the sets I saw last year and this year.
    7/26 Au Revoir Simone @ The Roxy, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ Observatory, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

old school

the two hour death march line with all of our gear on our backs that we got caught in to get inside the fest wed morning at 7am on zero sleep came close to killing me.

greg, one of my favorite moments of the fest is when i saw you at the campsite after muse and you looked like you just got done getting serviced by 72 virgins, proclaiming something to the effect of "that is the crowd i traveled thousands of miles to be a part of!"

ahhh...take me back!

Anyone notice that someone is up front waving the California/Everton Football Club flags on the same pole in both videos? I wonder who this person is because I saw those two flags together at half the sets I saw last year and this year.
    I think Sonofhal found them, talked to them, thinking they were us, and quickly found out it wasn't!

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

Hahahaha.

Thom Yorke, Lily Allen, and some Gorillaz camped there over the weekend, apparently.

Edit: Oh yeah, the tipi area in that pic is an official part of the fest (Glasto rents tipis for a high price)...the third party people would be a 20 minute walk to the right of everything in this photo.
    Last edited by Boourns; 09-19-2010 at 01:23 PM.

the two hour death march line with all of our gear on our backs that we got caught in to get inside the fest wed morning at 7am on zero sleep came close to killing me.

greg, one of my favorite moments of the fest is when i saw you at the campsite after muse and you looked like you just got done getting serviced by 72 virgins, proclaiming something to the effect of "that is the crowd i traveled thousands of miles to be a part of!"

ahhh...take me back!

oh goodness, THANK YOU for that moment of amazing memories...

I know Lilia wants us all to do Bestival (which I won't be due to its direct conflict with Burning man)...but the farm is calling me again.

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

Hahahaha.

Thom Yorke, Lily Allen, and some Gorillaz camped there over the weekend, apparently.
    Exactly.

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

(that was more of a comment towards the lily nature of lily allen and the lame-orillaz, although imagining thom being prissy is major lulz)

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

ahhh...take me back!
    At camp on a Saturday night? I hope this was hella late. Otherwise, for shame, guys.

I should talk because I did turn in earlier than expected. Losing my antibiotics in the Rabbit Hole kind of pissed me off. Well, the realization that I had to spend Sunday crawling back to the doctor to get a refill is what did it. After the Jarvis DJ set, I got some cheese fries with garlic mayo and just soaked in the vibes. Debated hitting the silent disco but at 1:30, the line was too long and my feet were too tired to find the other one, and I had to get up early the next day anyway.

Ah, memories. Little ones. They march on. And they have petite feet. Probably from working the machine.

That Muse set...yeah, the sixth time I saw Muse and that was the best, even if I watched "Where the Streets Have No Name" and "Plug in Baby" from the very back of the crowd and then ducked out before the last song to haul ass to the Rabbit Hole.

you know an easier place to meetup?

we all met up and wandered off to the stone circle, for family oriented fun, obviously.

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

also, i want to bring a bike this next year, it can be a tiny little bmx bike, but a bike nonetheless!

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

(that was more of a comment towards the lily nature of lily allen and the lame-orillaz, although imagining thom being prissy is major lulz)
    I think famous people staying there at all is impressive.

I also heard that Lily Allen bought a Batman costume at one of the fancy dress vendors for going to Shangri-la, etc incognito last year.

you know an easier place to meetup?

we all met up and wandered off to the stone circle, for family oriented fun, obviously.
    The rabbit hole for Jarvis Cocker's dj skillz!

Speaking of which, I need to upload some video of that. I've tried, but whenever I do, the internet is completely unusable for hours and then youtube says "failed, aborted by user, etc" bs anyway.

old school

normal glasto weather makes the fest 1000x's easier to get through than what took place last year re: the heat/sun.

my goal is 1 small bag, 1 small bike, and buy the rest on site, I am tweeting to encourage glasto to have a donation system, so that we can donate the leftover tent stuff wen don't want to haul back to london to the needy!

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

so lightweight clothes + a poncho to cover me from the rain, also, keep the tent empty except for clothes and carry the backpack on me to carry water/food/toilet paper/wet wipes etc so I dont have to return to camp except to meetup...

also, really paying attention and finding clothes that are physically tiny! no heavy jeans or shorts, all nylon or thin thin THIN cotton items that fold up SMALL!

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

old school

I am tweeting to encourage glasto to have a donation system, so that we can donate the leftover tent stuff wen don't want to haul back to london to the needy!
    mine was called salah. i put all my sleeping stuff on top of him while he was passed out on the cold grass, stuffed my leftovers in his shirt pocket and left.

so lightweight clothes + a poncho to cover me from the rain, also, keep the tent empty except for clothes and carry the backpack on me to carry water/food/toilet paper/wet wipes etc so I dont have to return to camp except to meetup...

also, really paying attention and finding clothes that are physically tiny! no heavy jeans or shorts, all nylon or thin thin THIN cotton items that fold up SMALL!
    You will need something to keep you warm when it's cold at night. Or on those rainy mornings.

Sounds like you're coming back next year after all, then?

Quote Originally Posted by shotglass75 View Post
    Foo's actually could do Glasto I think. Look at their shows in the past at Hyde Park and Wembley. The Brits fucking love 'em. Plus I think an album is in the works.
    yeah i brought em up because it looks like they'll be playing shows next year, and you know what, i completely forgot about the 2 Wembley Stadium shows they did where they brought out Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones. they can definitely headline Glasto.

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

They definitely can, but they seem to be more of a Reading/Leeds kind of headliner.

You will need something to keep you warm when it's cold at night. Or on those rainy mornings.

Sounds like you're coming back next year after all, then?
    yeah why not, its not like i'm suddenly getting a gf, and I am more and more convinced I can do it cheaper than last time.

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies