Thread: It's raining the print version of one of my favourite magazines.

Default It's raining the print version of one of my favourite magazines.

And it doesn't look good for the rest of it.

I couldn't think of a funny thing because I'm cranky.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/article...blication.html

Today Paste Media Group announces, with deepest sadness, the suspension of the Paste magazine print product.

Struggles with mounting debt were made public last year when our readers responded with generosity to save the magazine. But the prolonged downturn of the ad market has forced a hiatus. All subscribers have access to the digital version of their magazines through the June/July issue on PasteMagazine.com. Paste, while considering strategic alternatives, is focusing on its digital assets, including PasteMagazine.com.

We thank all of those who have shown such tremendous support to a vision of independent media focused on Signs of Life in Music, Film & Culture, including subscribers, advertisers, writers, photographers, illustrators, publicists, record labels, movie studios, book & game publishers and others in the press.
    http://gawker.com/5627700/

The magazine had financially struggled for some time now, but it was rescued last year by an outpouring of donations from readers. The music magazine industry continues to shrink. Any former Paste staffers can add their thoughts in the comments, or email me.

Update: The AP says Paste "will keep its popular website going but will stop sending print editions to its more than 200,000 subscribers." Presumably it will operate with a skeleton staff. We're also hearing several reports of freelancers who say they're owed money by Paste.
    The writing's been on the wall, so to speak, for a while, but still. Sucks.

Default Re: It's raining the print version of one of my favourite magazines.

I like Paste. they lean a touch harder on the singer-songwriter stuff than my tastes run, but that's a quibble. They're certainly better than Spin and other dreck out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I like 'em because they consistently cover a wide range of stuff that it turns out I enjoy, and because by and large they aren't cartoonishly venomous just for the sake of making waves.

Their writing is consistently solid and frequently great, and I got a real sense of affection for their respective subjects from the staff as a whole. They were writing because they loved writing, rather than just loved being writers.

I like them, and if the online version folds, the internet will be sorely poorer for it.

Coachella Junkie

http://www.pastemagazine.com/article...ion-domin.html

Possibly the worst album review I have ever read.

Animal Collective does that to people.

The oblong architecture of "Daily Routine" hearkens back to the band's less stable earlier days, as it moves appealingly from an awkward organ-based mid-tempo number to a long, droney coda that has the ego-pulverizing bliss of shoegaze.
    http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/...post-pavilion/
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Coachella Junkie

That's just word salad, the Paste review is a fucking conceptual abortion.

Coachella Junkie

I mean

But this is the new indie ethos: Don’t think; dance. Like Tare says on “My Girls,” “I don’t mean to seem like I care about material things like my social stance, I just want four walls and adobe slats for my girls.”

I have absolutely no idea what that means, and I don’t care—print it up, put it on a T-shirt and hand me that glow stick.

Dude, as coverage goes for that album, I can live with that.

that reviewer is overmatched, I agree.

Good news!

Dear Paste Subscriber,

On September 1 of last year, we announced the suspension of the print edition of Paste magazine on our website. The economic downturn and mounting debt forced this decision, one that broke our hearts and disappointed our legions of subscribers. Since then, we haven't communicated anything further, and for that, we are very sorry. We don't blame you if you were frustrated by lack of response from customer service and lack of any statement beyond the one posted on our website.

It's our hope to earn back your trust and to that end, we've got two pieces of great news.

First is recent news—the acquisition of Paste by the team that brings you Wolfgang's Vault, Crawdaddy and Daytrotter, our new sister companies. The Paste founding team remains in place.

Here's the even better news we've been dying to share with you: Paste Magazine is back. Today we announce the launch of a wholly new, unprecedented digital magazine experience—The Paste mPlayer, complete with a weekly Paste Sampler. The new Paste was created by the same people that brought you the print magazine.

We asked ourselves: If we could invent a smart pop culture magazine right now, what would it look like?

mPlayer is the answer. Get to it here.

It works in your web browser and later this year will work as an app for both iOS and Android devices. (Yes, you can use it via a web browser on an iPad or other tablet, but we can’t promise it’s perfect in that environment quite yet.)

Here's 3 important things to know:

The Paste Sampler: It’s back, but there's a nice twist: Paste is now WEEKLY and you'll be receiving 7 NEW SONGS PER WEEK. Exclusive Content: mPlayer content is exclusive to the mPlayer and isn’t repeated on PasteMagazine.com (except Reviews, which appear in both places). Free issues for loyal subscribers: This summer, as a way to show our appreciation to you for being a subscriber to Paste in the past, you’ll enjoy the Paste mPlayer free for 9 weekly issues during our Beta Preview (and when the paid version launches in September, you’ll receive a token for more free issues). You can get to Issue #1 right here.

In September of 2011, each weekly issue of the mPlayer will sell for 99 cents per issue or $36 for a yearly (48-issue) subscription.

We’re thrilled to be back producing the kind of substantial pop culture coverage you came to expect in Paste Magazine. PasteMagazine.com continues to be the home of our with news, reviews, blogs, photo galleries, video and fun pop-culture lists.

Thanks for hanging with us and we hope you enjoy the new mPlayer as much as we do.

Click here to read an FAQ about the new Paste.

Your friends at Paste,

Josh, Tim & Nick
    14 in a row = 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012a, 2012b, 2013a, 2013b, 2014a, 2014b

Crawdaddy still exists? wow.