Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pan's Labyrinth

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Default Re: Pan's Labyrinth

when I saw it I certainly was happy that it ended.

Regarding the first task: removing the frog who has made it's home in the roots of the tree.

Once again the cave or tunnel is another symbol that appears throughout all mythologies. The cave is a place where the hero enters and sees a vision. The result is that the hero emerges from the cave reborn. The cave it self is a vaginal symbol, look closely at the tree in pan's labyrinth and see the way the branches curl over like ovaries. The frog represents her stepfather, large strong and intimidating. Her quest is to feed the frog the three crystals, and remove it from the roots of the tree where it has made its home. It is no coincidence that the number of crystals she is given to poison the toad directly relates to the number of drops of sedative she is told to give her mother, as the sedative/crystals are fed to the father/frog by mixing them with a favorite drink/meal of theirs.
    I miss Bill Hicks.

Barbara, the ninja

Wow, I didn't even connect the 3 drops/3 stones thing. You're sexy when you're deep like this, ATIA

I see the point of the whole disobeying thing though, MusicIsMyBoyfriend. Even from the beginning, she disobeyed her parents, ran away from her keepers, and went to our world. What a rebel. HEY! There were real rebels, disobeying the captain guy. Or maybe I'm just overanalyzing.

I absolutely loved this movie. Everything about it captured my imagination, and I was glad that it wasn't just a fairy tale, that it had some basis in reality, because it made it seem to me like it could have really happened. At least I could justify it to myself.

Just a note of trivia for all of you: I live in Orcutt/Santa Maria, where the special effects for this movie were made, (in Cafe FX). This movie was a big deal for this company based here in Santa Maria, because this town really has nothing going for it besides strawberries and , well, that's about it. Santa Maria, however, is not a very cultured town. We have one movie theater, a Regal Entertainment group, that only shows the latest blockbusters and cheesy teen thrillers, and even though this movie was produced in town, and the models for the faries' CGI were local college students, the movie just hit the local theatre last weekend. (It was released in the US Dec 06). It probably wouldn't have come here at all if it wasn't for the constant support it received from the independent newspapers, or that both made the movie their cover story 2 weeks in a row. Needless to say, I drove the hour drive to see it opening night in the art house theatre in San Luis Obispo where it has been playing for a month already.

Quote Originally Posted by Encaitare View Post
    I absolutely loved this movie. Everything about it captured my imagination, and I was glad that it wasn't just a fairy tale, that it had some basis in reality, because it made it seem to me like it could have really happened. At least I could justify it to myself.

Just a note of trivia for all of you: I live in Orcutt/Santa Maria, where the special effects for this movie were made, (in Cafe FX). This movie was a big deal for this company based here in Santa Maria, because this town really has nothing going for it besides strawberries and , well, that's about it. Santa Maria, however, is not a very cultured town. We have one movie theater, a Regal Entertainment group, that only shows the latest blockbusters and cheesy teen thrillers, and even though this movie was produced in town, and the models for the faries' CGI were local college students, the movie just hit the local theatre last weekend. (It was released in the US Dec 06). It probably wouldn't have come here at all if it wasn't for the constant support it received from the independent newspapers, or that both made the movie their cover story 2 weeks in a row. Needless to say, I drove the hour drive to see it opening night in the art house theatre in San Luis Obispo where it has been playing for a month already.

Last edited by jackstraw94086; 02-13-2007 at 12:50 AM.

Wow someone has too much time on their hands.
    2005, 2007, 2011, 2012 W1, 2012 W2, 2013 W1, 2013 W2, 2014 W1, 2014 W2 and SOON 2015 W1 & 2015 W2!!

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Fuck that, that was genius. I almost agree with Jack's take on the movie now.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicIsMyBoyfriend View Post
    Wow someone has too much time on their hands.
    Wow someone's computer illiterate.
    It's called CTRL+printscrn and MS paint. It took less than 5 minutes while wating for a download..

Put a lid on your snark

Did I say I was?! No. I've only just figured out this whole internets thing.

Get off your high horse Mr.

I am only kidding of course, as was I before.
    2005, 2007, 2011, 2012 W1, 2012 W2, 2013 W1, 2013 W2, 2014 W1, 2014 W2 and SOON 2015 W1 & 2015 W2!!

You leave my horse out of this.

Jack - I had just about given up on this board today until I saw that. You reminded me about everything that was righteous about the old school.
    Quote Originally Posted by ByTheWay, View Post
    If anyone raped or molested my wife or child i'd off them myself so I guess it doesn't matter. If you don't feel those type of emotions in that situation then that is you and in my opinion makes you a twisted person from a twisted state (UTAH) if that is where your from!

I really want to see Pan's Labyrinth. I was at a theatre where they were going to do a test screening, but the film reel broke when they unpacked it, so I missed out. Still bums me out.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

there's entirely too much said of this alright movie. a good solid seven and a half is what it deserves. yes it was imaginative. yes it had some clunky parts. it's a decent film and let's leave it at that.

by the way i liked her haer, and the part when she walked down the staers.

anyway, let's give some props to all these mexicans. they've put out a prett good crop of films. out of 'em all though, the one with the best effort was Alfonso Cuarón. Children of Men was pretty damn good. i almost didn't kick a kid on my way out of the theatre; that's how good that movie was.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I also thought it was an allusion to Greek mythology--Persephone had to stay in hell because she ate some persimmon <?>) seeds, and that place sure as heck looked like the underworld to me.
    eve and the apple
    pandora and her box
    always some chick
    j/k
    "conversation is a game of circles and i'm getting dizzy-- bye"

i liked the movie...
    thought the scene where that soldier beats that dude to death with the butt of his gun was too much for a otherwise suitable for children movie...
    if you liked this movie like i did try "adventures of baron munchausen" or "city of lost children" or "spirited away" all fairy tale movies with main character as a girl (perfect for families w/daughters) visual enough to keep the kids entertained and cerebral enough for the adults...
    "conversation is a game of circles and i'm getting dizzy-- bye"

Lurker

I was just thinking about the scene where the faun give Ofelia the chalk for her to escape her locked room and get her baby brother. How does she escape the room if it was all a fantasy?

She's schizophrenic. The room wasn't locked.