Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 78

Thread: Pan's Labyrinth

  1. #1
    Member mozabilly54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Posts
    739

    Default Pan's Labyrinth

    Has anyone else seen this movie? Isn't it amazing?
    ~If you're feeling sinister, go off and see a minister~

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    THE INLAND EMPIRE
    Posts
    92

    Default Re: Pan's Labyrinth

    yea, i thought it was a great movie.

  3. #3
    Coachella Junkie
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,131

    Default Re: Pan's Labyrinth

    The little girl choosing to eat the grapes for no reason made me basically hate this film. It was a blatant plot motivator with no reasoning behind it.

  4. #4
    zeezus amyzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Arizzzona
    Posts
    40,906

    Default Re: Pan's Labyrinth

    She's a kid. If you had a kid, you'd know that temptation is incredibly difficult for children to ignore.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

  5. #5
    Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    aquabania
    Posts
    17,541

    Default Re: Pan's Labyrinth

    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    The little girl choosing to eat the grapes for no reason made me basically hate this film. It was a blatant plot motivator with no reasoning behind it.
    that was the only thing i was annoyed with, there didn't appear to be much motivation for her to do that. grapes!?!? dude, if it was a pizzookie from oregono's or something i could understand, but grapes?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    THE INLAND EMPIRE
    Posts
    92

    Default Re: Pan's Labyrinth

    well i think it had something to do with the fact that there was a grape shortage due to the war so she hadn't had grapes in a long time.

  7. #7
    Coachella Junkie
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,131

    Default Re: Pan's Labyrinth

    She's a kid living in an opulent household with no shortage of food and treats, in a room with a hideous monster and wall murals depicting that monster impaling and eating children, mere moments after being emphatically warned multiple times that eating anything would most likely result in injury or death. It's stupid.

  8. #8
    zeezus amyzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Arizzzona
    Posts
    40,906

    Default Re: Pan's Labyrinth

    I thought it was dumb too, but kids are like that sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

  9. #9
    Member sddoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    608

    Default Re: Pan's Labyrinth

    wasn't the little girl denied dinner that night by her mother?...the move to eat the grapes was dumbfounding, but the movie was still spectacular.

  10. #10
    zeezus amyzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Arizzzona
    Posts
    40,906

    Default Re: Pan's Labyrinth

    I also thought it was an allusion to Greek mythology--Persephone had to stay in hell because she ate some persimmon <?>) seeds, and that place sure as heck looked like the underworld to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

  11. #11
    Member €uroMeinke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Long Beach
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: Pan's Labyrinth

    She also didn't open the door the fairy told her too - part of her journey was figuring out when to follow instructions and when to follow your heart. Sometimes kids don't do as they are told, and maybe that's a good thing...

  12. #12
    Coachella Junkie
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,131

    Default Re: Pan's Labyrinth

    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I thought it was dumb too, but kids are like that sometimes.
    Like what? Suicidal? It's a fucking monster. There. In the room. A monster whose actions she does not even need to imagine as they are played out across all four walls of her surroundings. Her thought process, we are led to believe, is essentially "Well, I'm not in any actual need of food, and I will probably be impaled and eaten by a monster, in fact, have been explicitly told that will be the outcome of my actions, but I think I'll just have a couple grapes." I don't know any kids that stupid. I guess they might exist.

  13. #13
    Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    aquabania
    Posts
    17,541

    Default Re: Pan's Labyrinth

    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I also thought it was an allusion to Greek mythology--Persephone had to stay in hell because she ate some persimmon <?>) seeds, and that place sure as heck looked like the underworld to me.
    i thought of the whole "eve and forbidden fruit" thing.

    fucking women, our hunger ruins it for everyone
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

  14. #14
    I <3 Fall Out boy Yablonowitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In a House
    Posts
    5,881

    Default Re: Pan's Labyrinth

    Grapes can be very satisfying. I'm not sure you're aware of the seductive power they hold.

    I haven't seen this movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by ByTheWay, View Post
    If anyone raped or molested my wife or child i'd off them myself so I guess it doesn't matter. If you don't feel those type of emotions in that situation then that is you and in my opinion makes you a twisted person from a twisted state (UTAH) if that is where your from!

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    419

    Default Re: Pan's Labyrinth

    great movie, I saw it last night. So what, she ate the grapes. Big deal. If she hadn't, the monster never would have got off his ass and that scene would have been boring.

  16. #16
    Member mozabilly54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Posts
    739

    Default Re: Pan's Labyrinth

    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    great movie, I saw it last night. So what, she ate the grapes. Big deal. If she hadn't, the monster never would have got off his ass and that scene would have been boring.
    I agree. That monster was scary too. His wrinkles grossed me out though.
    ~If you're feeling sinister, go off and see a minister~

  17. #17
    Coachella Junkie
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,131

    Default Re: Pan's Labyrinth

    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    great movie, I saw it last night. So what, she ate the grapes. Big deal. If she hadn't, the monster never would have got off his ass and that scene would have been boring.
    That's my point. If you're OK with characters having no identifiable set of motivations just so a movie can move along and have cool scenes, that's your business. Knowing that it's stupid and you are wrong is my business. Stay out of my business.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    419

    Default Re: Pan's Labyrinth

    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    That's my point. If you're OK with characters having no identifiable set of motivations just so a movie can move along and have cool scenes, that's your business. Knowing that it's stupid and you are wrong is my business. Stay out of my business.
    You're overanalyzing a fairy tale.

  19. #19
    Coachella Junkie
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,131

    Default Re: Pan's Labyrinth

    It was stupid the second I saw it. No analysis required.

  20. #20
    Member pdhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    238

    Default Re: Pan's Labyrinth

    Jumping into this post....sorry. I think she was motivated by her hunger. She was denied dinner by her mother. Which the director made that scene as a result of the previous one, thus movie his story along just fine in my opinion. However how come she put in the key in a different hole then the one shown her by the fairy is perplexing to me and was without its own consequence. Every other wrong decision had a consequence, why didn't this one. Overall good movie, i was hoping for fairytale personally.
    “We've spent so much time judging what other people created that we've created very, very little of our own.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Choke

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Santa Clarita
    Posts
    580

    Default Re: Pan's Labyrinth

    The movie was amazing...so visually stunning.

  22. #22
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,938

    Default Re: Pan's Labyrinth

    I like grapes, myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  23. #23
    Lurker The Nichole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    35

    Default Re: Pan's Labyrinth

    the best part was when mercedes (i think that was her name) stabs that guy. i was like yelling in the theater for her to do her worst!

  24. #24
    Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Brentwood, CA
    Posts
    6,191

    Default Re: Pan's Labyrinth

    They weren't even seedless grapes. This movie upset me and I had a hard time handling it. I can't say I "didn't like" it - but I don't think I'll be watching it again.

    FYI -

    This is Jennie, not Gabe. Whoops. Gabe can handle his movies coming off the screen and stabbing him in the heart. I have trouble with movies where horses fall down. There's a distinction.
    Last edited by schoolofruckus; 01-22-2007 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Because we apparently can't live in the same house without this happening 18 times a day.

  25. #25
    Milkshake suprefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Burbank CA
    Posts
    43,938

    Default Re: Pan's Labyrinth

    Yeah just saw it and found the good bootleg copy of it, sucha good movie and the end just gets ya.

  26. #26

    Default Re: Pan's Labyrinth

    I'm not going to waste time with all the details here, but there are a lot of biblical refrences in this film that most people apparently didn't pick up on. Myself included, until further analizing it after a second viewing with my friend.

  27. #27

    Default Re: Pan's Labyrinth

    my fav movie of 06

  28. #28
    Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Brentwood, CA
    Posts
    6,191

    Default Re: Pan's Labyrinth

    Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Yeah just saw it and found the good bootleg copy of it, sucha good movie and the end just gets ya.
    Dude, are you homeless? You scalp every ticket you get your hands on, you watch bootlegs of movies...do you pawn your mother's furniture and jewelry as well? Seriously, you behave like a bum; it's okay if you are one, but it's despicable if you're not.

  29. #29
    Coachella Junkie Alchemy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    9,113

    Default Re: Pan's Labyrinth

    This movie was amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

  30. #30
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    san jose, ca
    Posts
    6

    Talking Re: Pan's Labyrinth

    this was the first movie in a LONG time that actually gave me chills while watching it. the guy getting the broken bottle in the eyes and mouth, the stutterer getting the hammer across the face, general vidal getting his mouth slit open on side and getting a knife to the top of his mouth...all pretty brutal and well done, it definitely showed the brutality of the time. terrific movie, and guillermo del toro kicks ass.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •