Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: LIVE 105 Halloween Subsonic Spookfest

Default Re: LIVE 105 Halloween Subsonic Spookfest

I saw something on the news this morning, not that clip...

Quote Originally Posted by sbconnection View Post
    Did you see channel 2 news, 6 people went to the hospital last night and they are threatening to close down the cow palace???

That's from etdpop earlier this year, not Spookfest.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by Geno_guerrero View Post
    They said no more rave type events at the cow palace, from what I heard...
    thats so fucking stupid. why dont they just change the fucking 16+ age limit instead of killing the fun for everyone
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Or why can't people be responsible for themselves? I felt myself getting dehydrated and lightheaded so I went to the hall, sat down, and drank some water. I've said it before and I'll say it again:

HANDLE YOUR DRUGS.
    2013 = Coverchella

2011 = Perfectchella

no, they should raise the age limit to AT LEAST 18+. All these god damn candi kids ruin the fun from these types of events. I went to go get more beer after MSTRKRFT and they fucking stopped selling alchohol bc people were being sent to the hospital...and this was at like 10:30. Fucking stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    Or why can't people be responsible for themselves? [/B]
    Under 18 year olds are not responsible for themselves. I know I was quick to differentiate the 2009 Spookfest "massive" and the pop "rave," but after this year's spookfest, I don't think I can continue to make that argument. This felt like a rave in every sketchy sense of the word. Puddle parties, light shows, kids asking to pet my friend's costume, people asking if I wanted to buy pills, people asking if I had pills for sale, etc.

I'd maintained all year that Spookfest was the "rave" that wasn't REALLY a rave because there wasn't a lot of the negative/sketchy aspects associated with it. Spookfest 2010 was a rave in every negative sense of the word.
    8/27 Rock the Bells @ Shoreline
    9/1 Amon Tobin @ The Warfield
    9/30 DJ Premier vs. Pete Rock @ Mighty

Or why can't people be responsible for themselves? I felt myself getting dehydrated and lightheaded so I went to the hall, sat down, and drank some water. I've said it before and I'll say it again:

HANDLE YOUR DRUGS.
    This is advice that doesn't just go out to the kids that "ruin" these events. My friend tripped on acid for the first time against my advice and had to leave by 10:30. She's 25. The bigger problem is that people want to accessorize their drug with music instead of accessorize their experience of a show with a drug.

What exactly is a puddle party?
    2013 = Coverchella

2011 = Perfectchella

Have you ever waded through a thick crowd of people in the dark floor room and happen to stumble upon 3-4 people all sitting together? That.

Sometimes there is even one person giving them all a light show.
    2012: Coachella Weekend Two & Roskilde

What exactly is a puddle party?
    Just when one or two people will plop down and sit on the floor and start massaging each other or give one another light shows, but then it grows and its quickly six or seven people sitting around not caring about the show or anyone else around them.
    8/27 Rock the Bells @ Shoreline
    9/1 Amon Tobin @ The Warfield
    9/30 DJ Premier vs. Pete Rock @ Mighty

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Underworld were brilliant as always, they never fail to impress. That was the best rendition of King Of Snake I've seen. MSTRKRFT and DJ Shadow were both fun, too. Booka Shade killed. The rest was pretty ok.

Sadly, the largest and most animated crowd I saw was during Steve Aoki. Who, if I remember correctly, spent more time in front of the decks jumping around than behind them. Kind of speaks volumes about the crowd demographics. Literally everyone I talked to in the smoking area was most excited for Wolfgang. Wasted youth.

It was great seeing everyone again. I had a blast. Coming down at last minute was an excellent decision.

I'm jealous and sad to have missed Underworld again. Hope some more pictures will surface soon

god, i fucking HATE puddle parties. That shit REALLY pisses me off. Its SO fucking stupid what these idiotic people are doing. They always ruin the mood I'm in when I'm at one of these electronic shows. I'm a huge edm fan and I've never done E....but it seems like most of these people at these shows are the exact opposite. Instead of going there for a particular artist they just come down for the party atmosphere and do E to the electonic music. So stupid. These are the types of people that give a bad name to this great genre.

duh.

Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    Underworld were brilliant as always, they never fail to impress. That was the best rendition of King Of Snake I've seen. MSTRKRFT and DJ Shadow were both fun, too. Booka Shade killed. The rest was pretty ok.

Sadly, the largest and most animated crowd I saw was during Steve Aoki. Who, if I remember correctly, spent more time in front of the decks jumping around than behind them. Kind of speaks volumes about the crowd demographics. Literally everyone I talked to in the smoking area was most excited for Wolfgang. Wasted youth.

It was great seeing everyone again. I had a blast. Coming down at last minute was an excellent decision.
    and don't make it seem as if Steve Aoki and Wolfgang are in the same boat. Wolfgang is incredibly talented and one of the big up-in-comers in edc, while Aoki is a joke.

It's hardly coincidental that such a large portion of those who chose Wolfgang over Underworld are in the Aoki demographic as well.

I would highly disagree with that. People who think all types of electronic music is techno and don't know shit about edm are Aoki fans. Wolfgang, on the otherhand, is a brand new artist that has just recently blew up. Yes, I agree that he is a contemporary astist and isn't in the same grouping as old school edm acts like Underworld, Orbital, Faithless, etc, but he is one of the best artists that just came out. Aoki has no talent whatsover and he is known more for his antics and unique look, while Wolfgang has an incredible skill set that makes him what he is. Don't group the two together. Thats a big mistake.

And I got the best of both worlds. I saw about 70% of Underworld's act (who I have mad respect for), then ran to see the end of Wolfgang. They both were incredible to say the least.
    Last edited by rasooli; 11-01-2010 at 12:07 AM.

You're the only one here comparing their respective quality.

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    I'm jealous and sad to have missed Underworld again. Hope some more pictures will surface soon
    Feather took some amazing shots (i assume, i havent seen them) and hopefully she will upload them SOON
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

I hope the kids who are part of all the puddle parties (not just spookfest) grow up and look back to when they 'raved' and think to themselves Damn I was fucking retarded.
    so no confirmation for spookfest 2011? 2010's announcement wasn't that far after '09

Quote Originally Posted by Geno_guerrero View Post
    They said no more rave type events at the cow palace, from what I heard...
    It's really unclear if this is going to happen, though.

The Cow Palace is owned by the State of California. It's expensive to maintain and is underutilized (eg, it doesn't have enough events, because it's out of the way and in a shitty neighborhood and old enough that it doesn't have modern venue facilities) and out of compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. The Governor has proposed selling it several times, but the Legislature isn't going along with it.

San Mateo County's political leadership loathes the Cow Palace; they want it gone and replaced with a high density housing + shopping development. Part of the reason for their loathing is that, because it's owned by the state, they have no power over it; they cannot regulate its events or hours the way Mountain View can regulate the Shoreline (for example).

After etd.pop, the entire San Mateo County Board of Supervisors voted in favor of a resolution asking the state not to hold rave-type events at the Cow Palace any more. (This is, incidentally, one of the reasons I voted against Supervisor Gordon in both the primary and general elections for the Assembly seat he's running for). But it's not binding; they have no authority to tell the Cow Palace what to do; and the Cow Palace, because it's losing money and expensive to maintain and not the venue of choice for most things, has every incentive to keep holding such events for the money they bring.

Quote Originally Posted by rasooli View Post
    god, i fucking HATE puddle parties. That shit REALLY pisses me off. Its SO fucking stupid what these idiotic people are doing. They always ruin the mood I'm in when I'm at one of these electronic shows. I'm a huge edm fan and I've never done E....but it seems like most of these people at these shows are the exact opposite. Instead of going there for a particular artist they just come down for the party atmosphere and do E to the electonic music. So stupid. These are the types of people that give a bad name to this great genre.
    I've gotten annoyed at tripping over people in my day, but I kind of have the opposite reaction: kids on e (or adults on e, for that matter) in the environment around me almost always improve my mood.

Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    Literally everyone I talked to in the smoking area was most excited for Wolfgang. Wasted youth.
    I don't think that's quite fair. I ended up seeing Underworld, but I can respect people who were there for WG; after I heard the bootleg of Wolfgang's set at Coachella, which was one of the best bootlegs from this year's festival, I was all excited to see him. I expect it was a good show.

hey lets all go to a RAVE... and then bitch about the RAVE type atmosphere.... we all knew what we were getting ourselves into... the difference is the people i came w/... u know the responsible ones, who are actually there for the music. The ones that take care of eachother, stick together... so that way you dont have to focus so much on the negative aspects. As far as the music goes...

UNDERWORLD was just absolutely amazing.... beyond expectation.

DJ SHADOW and his Sphere, easily one of the most innovative visual performances ive ever seen. The chainsaw cutting the sphere in half... woah. And the bass...!! not to mention an excelent song selection, including my personal favs 'Organ Doner' and 'Approaching Midnight'

MSTRKRFT was ehhh....

Aoki.... "Stop bobbing your head...!!!" - Andrew

Booka Shade, incredible yet again... i think a lot of people discovered these two that night, and this makes me happy....

and then of course therez this......

Sophia and I still have a bunch to upload, if anyone else wants to contribute to a mini D.E. film let me know.
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

Quote Originally Posted by rasooli View Post
    haha wow these people go to a concert to have fun!!! how dare they!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella Bound View Post
    <3

I really wish i could have been there. Great costumes. Salah, you kill me.

that is a cute picture.
    Last edited by GeezrRckr; 11-01-2010 at 10:24 AM.

Oh, rasooli thinks Wolfgang Gartner is a up and comer and not some dude who has been plugging away in the EDM seen for years before capitalizing on the popularity of electro-house. Cute.

This year was fun, but I wish Booka Shade would have played a little bit more off of More!, Fake Blood's set was definitely not as good as other times I have seen him, the only acts I was really stoked on were DJ Shadow and Underworld and certain parts of Booka Shade's set. It was still worth going, but it was the first rave I have been to where I spent a good portion of the time in the stands, I know it comes with the territory but I literally was so annoyed with the crowd I just couldn't stand being on the floor.

I LOVE Wolfgang (saw him at coachella, edc and spookfest) but I always wonder what % of people seeing him know thats not his real name and that hes been around for a while.