Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: LIVE 105 Halloween Subsonic Spookfest

Default Re: LIVE 105 Halloween Subsonic Spookfest

Quote Originally Posted by Egull View Post
    This year was fun, but I wish Booka Shade would have played a little bit more off of More!, Fake Blood's set was definitely not as good as other times I have seen him, the only acts I was really stoked on were DJ Shadow and Underworld and certain parts of Booka Shade's set. It was still worth going, but it was the first rave I have been to where I spent a good portion of the time in the stands, I know it comes with the territory but I literally was so annoyed with the crowd I just couldn't stand being on the floor.
    The crowd seemed unusually shovy and impatient to me. The very front was better, because there's only so much you can do there (due to space concerns); the middle and middle-back were just awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno_guerrero View Post
    I saw something on the news this morning, not that clip...
    Here's a press report from today in the Mercury News.

Apparently a local state senator is now making noises about forcing the Cow Palace to change its' errant ways - a much more serious threat than the County Board.

(I agree the security was pretty lame. But what would he have done differently?)

Erika and I spent 97% of our time in the Main Room dancing in the first row of seats. We had a blast up there. We were able to dance unmolested and the music was louder there than on the floor.
    9/19 Beck @ the Masonic (?)
    9/22 Tove Lo @ the Fillmore
    9/27 Simian Mobile Disco @ The Mezzanine
    10/5 The War On Drugs @ The Fillmore
    10/21 Jessie Ware @ The Chapel
    10/24 Little Dragon @ the Fox Theatre
    10/24 Rfs Du Sol @ The Mezzanine
    10/29 PHISH @ Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    10/31 AlunaGeorge @ 1015 (?)
    11/29 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella Bound View Post
    I've gotta say, for people who dress in costumes year round professionally, I'm a little underwhelmed here.

This is Yee's official statement:

“There is a broken record at the Cow Palace. Once again, the Cow Palace failed to provide an adequate level of law enforcement and emergency personnel. Sadly, the Cow Palace and these rave promoters care more about making a quick buck than the safety of our kids and young people. It is reprehensible that the Cow Palace Board of Directors allows these events to occur without a level of security approved by local law enforcement agencies. Enough is enough.

Similar to our efforts to get a double fine zone on 19th Avenue, it unfortunately took years and too many deaths before we were able to get a bill approved. The results have been overwhelming – not a single pedestrian death since the double fine zone became law 2 years ago. If the Cow Palace fails to immediately develop a policy to protect our community, I am prepared to introduce legislation that would require them to provide an adequate police and medical presence before hosting these raves. Once and for all, we can finally end such tragedies at this troubled venue.”

8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/11: Tomas Barfod @ The Rickshaw Stop
    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

good. fuck that place.

Guedita, as a lawyer-in-training, I'm wondering what his standard for "adequate police and medical presence" is.

The thing which pisses me off about this - like it did for etd.pop - is that the people who got sick all chose to engage in dangerous behavior and failed to exercise due diligence in taking care of themselves. But instead the local political crowd blames it on the venue or the music, and takes their fear/wrath out on the 14,000 people who went, had a good time, and didn't hurt themselves or anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy1222 View Post
    good. fuck that place.
    You think the crackdown would stop at the Cow Palace? Shut down the Cow Palace, the events move somewhere else, and the local politicians there work to get them shut down, too.

It really won't stop until the constituents of the politicians tell them to fuck off and stop using stupid people's self-injury as an excuse to beat up on an unpopular minority.

They've been trying to shut down raves for 20 years now and where has it got them?
    9/19 Beck @ the Masonic (?)
    9/22 Tove Lo @ the Fillmore
    9/27 Simian Mobile Disco @ The Mezzanine
    10/5 The War On Drugs @ The Fillmore
    10/21 Jessie Ware @ The Chapel
    10/24 Little Dragon @ the Fox Theatre
    10/24 Rfs Du Sol @ The Mezzanine
    10/29 PHISH @ Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    10/31 AlunaGeorge @ 1015 (?)
    11/29 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre

Quote Originally Posted by aphrael View Post
    The thing which pisses me off about this - like it did for etd.pop - is that the people who got sick all chose to engage in dangerous behavior and failed to exercise due diligence in taking care of themselves. But instead the local political crowd blames it on the venue or the music, and takes their fear/wrath out on the 14,000 people who went, had a good time, and didn't hurt themselves or anyone else.
    The venue accepts some degree of responsibility when they admit attendees who have drugs in their possession or who are visibly under the influence. I'm not suggesting they could have prevented the situation, only that it's one of the costs of doing this type of business -- that when people do stupid things at the venue, the public blames the venue (in addition to the individuals).

This is one of the reasons I don't really like all ages events or even 18+ events -- there doesn't seem to be much done in security searches. While I personally do not like being hassled by security or having to wait in long security lines due to security being thorough... I think the idea of bringing teenagers into a situation where drugs/alcohol are being brought in due to being missed by security presents problems. It's possible I'm not giving kids enough credit, but I absolutely do not think someone under 18 is fully in control of their own actions in this type of environment. There is a reason we normally segregate them from the older lot of us

You think the crackdown would stop at the Cow Palace? Shut down the Cow Palace, the events move somewhere else, and the local politicians there work to get them shut down, too.

It really won't stop until the constituents of the politicians tell them to fuck off and stop using stupid people's self-injury as an excuse to beat up on an unpopular minority.
    You're missing a vital point, the Cow Palace is in San Mateo County, not SF county. You move etd pop back to the bill graham, and you're telling me their going to shut it down because of hospitalizations and od's or whatever else they're giving as reasons to do so???? please.
    The Cow Palace is a terrible place for "taboo" events to happen, authorities and I can agree on that, at least.
    Last edited by zimmy1222; 11-01-2010 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    It's possible I'm not giving kids enough credit, but I absolutely do not think someone under 18 is fully in control of their own actions in this type of environment. There is a reason we normally segregate them from the older lot of us
    this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy1222 View Post
    You're missing a vital point, the Cow Palace is in San Mateo County, not SF county. You move etd pop back to the bill graham, and you're telling me their going to shut it down because of hospitalizations and od's or whatever else they're giving as reasons to do so???? please.
    The Cow Palace is a terrible place for "taboo" events to happen, authorities and I can agree on that, at least.
    Since Sen. Yee is elected by a voter base primarily located in San Francisco County, I don't see any reason to assume that the San Francisco County politicians would be any less obnoxious about an event taking place in that county.

I expect the San Francisco Board of Supervisors to be less obnoxious than the San Mateo County Board is, but that's not the whole picture.

Since Sen. Yee is elected by a voter base primarily located in San Francisco County, I don't see any reason to assume that the San Francisco County politicians would be any less obnoxious about an event taking place in that county.

I expect the San Francisco Board of Supervisors to be less obnoxious than the San Mateo County Board is, but that's not the whole picture.
    OK, I have to retract that. In 2006, there were 95,635 voters in the part of the district in San Francisco County, and 134,591 voters in the part of the district in San Mateo County. (http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/sov/...te_amended.pdf). I'm just not aware of this because I live in the part of the county outside his district.

So maybe you're right that something in downtown San Francisco might have less political trouble.

Honestly, the only event I can think of at Cow Palace that does not have drug/OD drama is Dickens Faire. I just feel like it's doomed for < 21 music events. I'm sorry to stereotype people by age (I know there are some folks on this board who are young and can handle themselves well at shows), every Cow Palace event seems to be more 15 year olds dressed like prostitutes and more interested in finding drugs than finding new music.

I'm just saying, SF isn't the kind of place to just shut down historic venues (where these events have been held for years) because someone (or some people) can't handle their shit.

Completely agree.

The venue accepts some degree of responsibility when they admit attendees who have drugs in their possession or who are visibly under the influence.
    How are you gonna prevent people from bringing E in? It's easier to get in than weed or alcohol.

On a side note, some pics from Live 105.

Shouldn't he be taking notes in the background?

http://live105.radio.com/2010/10/30/...pookfest-2010/
    2013 = Coverchella

2011 = Perfectchella

While I personally do not like being hassled by security or having to wait in long security lines due to security being thorough
    I would note that it's even more irritating to wait in a long security line only to discover security not being thorough. But that's a rant for another day.

As I said, I don't think there is a ton that they can to do prevent that, but when they have a secured event and people either bring in drugs or buy drugs in the venue, and then OD, the venue is going to receive some of the public blame.

MY suggestion would just be not to have all ages events.

Edited: Not to stress this too much, but come on, if it was a story of a dozen 30-somethings OD'ing at a 'rave', people would be thinking what fucking idiots, they cannot handle their drugs and/or take care of themselves. When the story is about teenagers, 'the public' makes an assumption (perhaps wrongly) that the situation was at least partially caused by creating an environment (ie, the venue) where the situation could occur. With ambulances being called by 8:30PM, you have to admit there was something fucked up about the venue and security. Having to go to the hospital -- at most 2.5 hours after you arrive -- is fucked.

Things have changed a lot. I had been to a few bay area raves in the 90s (I didn't live here so my experiences with the bay area are... scattered). I remember that as a young one, I got checked pretty thoroughly each time. Sure I was able to bring things in under a tit or down the pants, but they were much stricter on the no bag rules and went through pockets and did pat downs. It eliminated people who were too stupid to hide their drugs wisely, which in my mind, removes some of the risk of people too stupid to use their drugs wisely too.
    Last edited by chiapet; 11-01-2010 at 12:55 PM.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

These events aren't going anywhere. They're too big of cash cows (pun mildly intended) to be nixed. With increasing media and subsequent government scrutiny we'll probably see the age limits and security requirements get adjusted ala Southern CA. Which is fine and dandy for those who are already having a good time responsibly(ish)

I would note that it's even more irritating to wait in a long security line only to discover security not being thorough. But that's a rant for another day.
    No Kidding. Sheesh.

Am I the only one not complaining? I had a fucking blast and will most likely hit this shit up again next year
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Guedita, as a lawyer-in-training, I'm wondering what his standard for "adequate police and medical presence" is.

Well, in an ideal rave world, the venues and staff holding the event would care less about how much money they can make and more about making the environment safe and welcoming with the knowledge that there WILL be inexperienced people doing drugs. Cheaper water, letting people keep the caps of their water bottles, a larger and more advertised couch/chill out area. I think these are reasonable changes that could be made, but won't be. An unrealistic change that would never even be considered though perhaps should be: drug testing tables.

8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/11: Tomas Barfod @ The Rickshaw Stop
    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Of course you're not, Salah. This isn't complaining so much as it is thinking critically about what's going to be done to address a growing problem. Media covering ODs and hospitalizations after every rave is bad for everyone involved.

I had a total blast. I was insulated by our roving band of miscreants and the music enough to either not notice or not care about what other people were doing. Mostly.

I'm not complaining about spookfest, of course, I didn't even go. (I would have if I'd been here, but only because as Jeff said you guys would have provided a buffer). I'm complaining about the fucking Cow Palace which can't have a music event without some drama.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Cheaper water, letting people keep the caps of their water bottles.
    Absolutely yes.

The cap-on-water-bottle thing is an innovation since etd.pop, and it isn't a good one. Various people on the mainstage kept reminding me to drink more water; this would have been easier if I could carry multiple bottles onto the floor with me.

Of course, the solution - if you know it's coming - is to just smuggle bottle caps in, too. But at that point things are getting really fucking stupid.

or just be like, "give me my fucking cap, I am not a child"

it worked the last time that shit happened to me. unreal.

That drives me nuts. It's adopted from European music festivals (where in my very limited experience, it was not enforced at all). I've been told it originated from when the Sex Pistols were pelted with bottles at Roskilde, heh.

It's not to protect people from the caps of course, but they claim that -- capless -- if someone throws a water bottle (at stage or in the crowd), most of the water will fly out and the weight will be decreased to be relatively harmless.

Of course they have free water everywhere and let people bring in re-usable containers (that you're not likely to throw away/at some one) so it's not so much of an issue.

1. The Cow Palace is a great venue for this kind of event. The vendors refusing to let you keep the top of the bottled water is bullshit though.
    2. Police/Security was easy. We "cut" like everyone else was doing and it took 15min to get in.
    3. The crowd was EXACTLY what I expected and it didn't bother me at all. I mentioned it on Friday to a bunch of you but without Aoki on the bill Spookfest doesn't book Booka or Underworld's of EDM. He sells tickets... If we were smart we wouldnt have watched it.

Music: I'll preface this with the fact that I didn't feel well for a good portion of the night. We ended up walking around / exploring a lot more than staying in one spot for an entire set.

Fake Blood - Good, as always
    Booka - Great, for the 15min before I had to leave and get food
    Found a couch. Relaxed. Ate popcorn with listening to Aero+TommyLee.... pretty horrible, but not as terrible as I expected. Heard the first 20min of Felix which was solid. Recovered and met back up with the group.
    Aoki - typical screaming. bad
    MSTRKRFT - different from anything I've seen them play. Meh
    Dada Life - Their "sound" translated well on the other stage. Cool
    Shadow - I could never get into it... The visuals is cool but it didnt make up for the fact that it bored me.
    Axelson was an awesome changeover DJ.
    UNDERWORLD - AMAZING. AMAZING. AMAZING. Rez/Cowgirl was even better than expected. WOW

The Alpine Motor Inn was a great host.
    UNDERWORLD - 2015 - THE PRODIGY

i had a great argument with a GM at a vending booth over the "top" policy.
    UNDERWORLD - 2015 - THE PRODIGY

Wow, you guys are really overthinking this.