Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I Used to Love Them, Now I Have To Hate them GNR Thread

Default I Used to Love Them, Now I Have To Hate them GNR Thread

You can't really deny that The original lineup of Guns N' Roses was probably one of the best American Rock N' Roll bands the world has ever seen. Before Nirvana turned everything on it's ass, Guns N' Roses changed the game around with bare bones, rock n roll with an attitude. They scared your parents, they were fucked up all of the time, they fought on stage, and they made songs that went far and beyond the sugar coated candy crap that was coming out of LA at that time. They were in my opinion the last great "Rock Stars". You have your icons of rock (Mick, Keith, Morrison, Page, Plant, etc) and GNR were well on their way to having that legendary status. It's hard not to be a little bit in awe when you see Slash in person and say to someone with a whisper and smile, "That's fucking Slash, dude." The grunge era kinda made performer and fan at the same level in a way.

When 'Lies" arrived people were shocked to hear the softer side of GNR, but they were also blown away at how good their softer side was. And the fact that their softer side could still ruffle the feathers of the general public (One in a Million) made them even better.

Around '91 the lineup changed around somewhat but there was still a feeling that this band was the most dangerous band on the planet. Even though they expanded their sound with horns, keys, and a more versatile (and better) drummer, and actually expanded their sound with more complicated song structures and styles. (I still think 'Estranged' is one of the best songs ever even if the video was covered in Dolphins). The toured the world for the next 3 years causing mayhem and destruction (Hello St. Louis) almost everywhere they went and eventually it caught up with them. Axl's on stage tirade's were legendary. Slash and Duff's drug and alcohol use was putting them on the brink of death, and the who's this Gilby character?

Unfortunately, Axl lived up to his asshole status and destroyed from the inside out this once great band and for many, many fans, it's hard to hear the words "Guns N' Roses" and not get kinda pissed off or just laugh to ourselves at how much of a circus side show that once amazing band has become.

So what are your thoughts on GnFnR? Love 'em? Hate 'em? Who gives a flying fuck? In between? Would pay huge money for a reunion of the originals? Thinks this thread is a waste of time?

I personally feel that they will go down in history as one of the greatest bands of all time that ended up being one of the worst things in Rock N' Roll history.
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

Default Re: I Used to Love Them, Now I Have To Hate them GNR Thread

They blow. End of story.

i worked for them...err, axl's manager, in the mid to late 90's. spoke with him on a daily basis and he def. had an attitude. one time called up while i was in the office and said he needed to fire someone. gave me the first name, but i asked if he knew the last name so i could find the number. axl said "look under asshole."

such a fuckin' fun time in my life, gnr were the band that really got me into music back in the day so to all of a sudden to be talking to axl was just insane. even got the whole courtney/kurt/axl story straight for their manager who was there, funny to hear him tell it and so many of the other things that went on back when they were the biggest band in the world. oh the debauchery and sex that went on back then. i was born a few years too late

and axl did have a soft side, haha:

and many bands turn to shit later on in their career, doesn't mean you can't still enjoy the good times and good music that happened previously. for that band to even make it 5 years was a miracle.
    Last edited by JustSteve; 08-22-2010 at 08:09 AM.

GN'R is my favorite band of all time. Use Your Illusion II is probably my top album, and their live shows can't be beat.

Unfortunately, I was born in '91 so I got fucked out of ever seeing the early lineup. But the new lineup is amazing too. I saw them four times in '06, and heard they are even better now. Bumblefoot is great live, and they have great chemistry. And Axl still kicks major ass.

Also, of course he acts like a dick. He's a major rock star and that's his job. The worst is when people say he's the cause of the downfall of GN'R. Yeah, he may have driven away some members (or all......) but I look at it this way:

Axl= Chinese Democracy. One of the best albums in years. Axl proves he is still an amazing and underrated songwriter
    Slash, Duff (sorta Matt, fuck him)= Velvet Revolver. Great live show, but honestly generic and throwaway music.

I'd rather have CD branding the GN'R name over any of the crap Slash puts out now. So, Axl, bring on Chinese Democracy II and I will see you in the states in the next couple months!

Last edited by ErikFlyingV; 08-22-2010 at 08:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    Youth Gone Wild, 18 And Life, I Remember You, these songs are the soundtrack of a generation and would make for a great festival experience for thousands of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    This year's viral video sensation will be ErikFlyingV's portapotty getting tipped over while he's in it.

slash's first solo album is what he wanted the next gnr album to be, axl said no fuckin' way. end of band. although there was a lot of hate before that. axl was basically alone on the uyi tours, only hanging out with his bodyguard and the manager i worked for. no offstage interaction with the band at all.

I love old GNR as well. Use your Illusions are some of my fave albums of all time. The "new" line-up actually puts on a really good live show (see em 3 times). Chinese Democracy wasnt great, but it wasnt a bad record either.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    slash's first solo album is what he wanted the next gnr album to be, axl said no fuckin' way. end of band. although there was a lot of hate before that. axl was basically alone on the uyi tours, only hanging out with his bodyguard and the manager i worked for. no offstage interaction with the band at all.
    Music wise, I feel like Slash can be amazing when pushed to great heights. He didn't want to do songs like Estranged or November Rain, but Axl pushed him and he created some amazing stuff. Estranged is my favorite song of all time, and the reason I am even into music today.

However, if Slash wants to do generic rock songs, that's fine. He's doing well and seems to be having fun. I hated Snakepit and his new album is awful, but I'll still go to see him play. He's fucking Slash.

But Axl isn't afraid to push his boundaries, to expand on what is and was Guns N' Roses. Obvious you know more of the turmoil than I do, but from a musical standpoint, I'm fine with Slash doing his thing and Axl doing his. I'll just choose to listen and support Axl over any of the crap Slash puts out.

Also, Izzy is extremely underrated as well. He wrote most of the guitar parts (Slash would solo over them or make them heavier) and helped the group stay grounded in a way.
    Youth Gone Wild, 18 And Life, I Remember You, these songs are the soundtrack of a generation and would make for a great festival experience for thousands of people.
    This year's viral video sensation will be ErikFlyingV's portapotty getting tipped over while he's in it.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikFlyingV View Post
    Chinese Democracy. One of the best albums in years.
    Wow.
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

GNR was an all-time classic band that I had the pleasure of seeing live with the real crew 14 times. I was in high school from 89-92 so they were MY high school obsession. Some memorable shows include a four night run at the forum at the beginning of the UYI tour. The fourth night of that run still is the best show by them I've ever seen. 3 1/2 hours of destruction including the rarely played "Locomotive." Those shows actually damaged my ears for good as well BTW. My all-time favorite songs by them are Rocket Queen, Think About You, Coma, Locomotive, and Estranged.
    I saw the reincarnation of GNR at the Universal a couple of years ago and actually enjoyed the show a lot! Axl sounded great and his band is pretty damn solid. Chinese Democracy is an average at best album, but I will always have a special place in my heart for old school GNR. Appetite still ranks as one of the greatest albums ever, and they were amazing live!! I think we'll get the full on reunion in about five years in my humble opinion.

Those first notes of "jungle" are still my favoite opening to an album ever.

I'm with you on some of your favorite songs, too. "coma" is just such an epic song. And the beat in "locomotive" bangs.
    Last edited by JustSteve; 08-22-2010 at 08:44 AM.

That's awesome you were at the 91 Forum shows crombrenner. I have the bootleg of the final night where they played about 3.5 hours....and it just sounds so amazing.

I was too young to be going to concerts then....sucks.

My other loss was never seening Nirvana in that time frame, who always will be one of my top few bands of all-time.

Quote Originally Posted by MuseRadio View Post
    That's awesome you were at the 91 Forum shows crombrenner. I have the bootleg of the final night where they played about 3.5 hours....and it just sounds so amazing.

My other loss was never seening Nirvana in that time frame, who always will be one of my top few bands of all-time.
    I'm sorry, but this is a Guns N' Roses thread. We don't use the "N-Word" here.

Unless of course we're talking about One in a Million.
    Last edited by ErikFlyingV; 08-22-2010 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MuseRadio View Post

Yeah, that setlist was unreal!! Axl was in a great mood that night too.The only boot I've ever found of that show is shitty quality. Do you have a decent sounding copy of that one?

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Wow.
    I can't have been the only person disappointed that Chinese Democracy was actually released. I mean, the ongoing saga behind the making of that album was considerably more entertaining than the music was ever going to be.

You somehow managed to tell the story of GnR while leaving out how batshit crazy Axl is. Wtf?

Cool story bro
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

i have NEVER liked this stupid fucking band.

EDIT: also, i am constantly vehemently denying that they were/are/could ever be the/one of the great American rock bands ever.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    EDIT: also, i am constantly vehemently denying that they were/are/could ever be the/one of the great American rock bands ever.
    I'm not vehement about it, but they're definitely nowhere near the level of the elite American rock bands.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Who are the elite American rock bands?
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    If G'n'R aren't (or at leas at some point were not) an elite American rock band I don't know who is.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I'm not vehement about it, but they're definitely nowhere near the level of the elite American rock bands.
    Considering that i absolutely despise them and am ridiculously annoyed by their music at every level, I shall remain vehement.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    The Velvet Underground
    R.E.M.
    The Doors
    The Grateful Dead
    The Allman Brothers
    Metallica
    The Ramones

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    I can't have been the only person disappointed that Chinese Democracy was actually released. I mean, the ongoing saga behind the making of that album was considerably more entertaining than the music was ever going to be.
    QFT. I'm still stunned that it was released. especially with the whole best buy deal.

The Velvet Underground
    R.E.M.
    The Doors
    The Grateful Dead
    The Allman Brothers
    Metallica
    The Ramones
    G'n'R shares essentially nothing musically or aesthetically in common with any of those bands.

I also wouldn't really classify some of those mentioned above as bands in the same drunken, show-us-your-tits-rock'n'roll vein of G'n'R

You kinda just summed up my point, Gonsh.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Coachella Junkie

The Velvet Underground
    R.E.M.
    The Doors
    The Grateful Dead
    The Allman Brothers
    Metallica
    The Ramones
    Add the Stooges and I'll agree.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

I like some Guns N' Roses, but I think Jane's Addiction always kind of beat them at their own game.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

yeah, Id flat out replace the Allman Brothers with the Stooges. They don't scream that level to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Go listen to Eat a Peach and report back. Or, get better ears, ha.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by Gonshman View Post
    G'n'R shares essentially nothing musically or aesthetically in common with any of those bands.

You're missing the point.