Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark

Default Re: Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark

"almost no commercial popularity at all here"

They had plenty of hits in the UK; in the US, most people only know "If You Leave", if they know of any OMD songs at all. What I'm suggesting -- is exactly what they've said in interviews and hinted at on Saturday -- they are trying to please long-time fans who've been waiting 20+ years for a show as well as a more casual audience who isn't really familiar with their older tracks at all.

I liked Crush, really the only songs they played that I really didn't care for were Dreaming and If You Leave. (For the record, I like "If You Leave," but I get kind of annoyed that everyone goes wild for that song which is one of their weakest songs).

They played three tracks from Architecture and Morality.. I was floored by that decision. I would've thought we'd be lucky to hear ONE.

As this was basically a tour to prove to promoters that they could fill bigger venues, they needed to play a crowd friendly set to entice people to return for the bigger tour in October.

While they did not have the setlist most fans would have wanted, I don't think anyone left feeling disappointed iby the show. That band BRINGS it. You'll notice the only people complaining are the ones who didn't go.

Quote Originally Posted by n3glect View Post
    You'll notice the only one complaining complains about everything.

Quote Originally Posted by n3glect View Post
    They played three tracks from Architecture and Morality.. I was floored by that decision.
    Yes, that's pretty cool, I suppose.

I guess I just try to deny everything after the first 3 albums even exists.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I actually had totally forgotten Dreaming even existed. When they started playing it, it was really familiar... familiar like they were covering some crappy band. Why?? After like 30 seconds I remembered where it was from.

Wish I could have been at the LA show.

OK.

Just read through the OMD forum; Andy McClusky posts in there regularly. From what I've garnered:

• OMD will do a tour in the fall in North America (we know they're at Corona Capital on October 15).
    • They're going to try to play some cities they missed before. They've specifically stated Seattle and Anaheim.
    • Andy says they'll be playing in NYC on either Sept 21 or 22.
    • They're going to play "Secret" this time around and they will be changing up the setlist a bit.
    Last edited by captncrzy; 06-19-2011 at 07:54 PM.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

So did anyone else get OMD tix? We're in for Vegas on the 8th.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

old school

A friend just bought a VIP from the omd/bright antenna webiste.

As VIP passes go, it's the best value for money spent I've ever seen offered by a band.

------------------------------------------------------------

VIP Package: $150

* Admittance to show, intimate soundcheck experience AND band meet and greet. Exclusive autographed 8x10 photo and exclusive t-shirt. Plus tour program and your choice of "History of Modern" CD or 180-gram vinyl w/ digital download. Limited to 30 people per venue.

GOLD Package: $100

* Admittance to show AND intimate soundcheck experience. Exclusive autographed 8x10 photo and exclusive t-shirt. Plus tour program and your choice of "History of Modern" CD or 180-gram vinyl w/ digital download. Limited to 70 people per venue.

Got bought my regular ticket for the Orlando show!
    Super excited to see them for the first time

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    So did anyone else get OMD tix? We're in for Vegas on the 8th.
    I'll probably go to the Vegas show. Cheaper hotels than Cali.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    OK.

Just read through the OMD forum; Andy McClusky posts in there regularly. From what I've garnered:

• OMD will do a tour in the fall in North America (we know they're at Corona Capital on October 15).
    • They're going to try to play some cities they missed before. They've specifically stated Seattle and Anaheim.
    • Andy says they'll be playing in NYC on either Sept 21 or 22.
    • They're going to play "Secret" this time around and they will be changing up the setlist a bit.
    The setlist for the first leg was pretty good. Secret would be an awesome addition. I wouldn't mind them adding Telegraph and Dead Girls. And hopefully they keep So in Love, Joan of Arc........Any set list is going to be awesome, but they have such a deep catalog I'll have to expect they can't play everything I want to hear.

Ok, we can't go to the Vegas show now. We don't have a free place to stay like we thought we would, and we spent WAY more money at ATP than we intended. We have two GA tickets (hard) we want to get rid of. Asking $50 for the pair (under face, of course).

When's the show?
    I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member...

Saturday night at the House of Blues.

Can someone list out their best songs so I can prepare for Coachella? I want to download them on Spotify.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Electricity
    Secret
    So in Love
    Dreaming
    Forever (Live and Die)

I would add Enola Gay and Tesla Girls.

Mesa, Az, Amsterdam and Antwerp when I can!

I feel lucky to see OMD period. I've always wanted to, but they have never been near any place I've ever lived.

This is a great addition to Coachella this year.
    99, 01, 02, 03, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11,12,13, 14
    Dancing In The Desert and Loving Every Minute of Coachella!

Check out my Coachella pictures at Flickr.com under AJVaughn.com. Other art work there also!
    There are 3 Coachella sets on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanjvaughn/sets

Saw them in 89 at the rose bowl. They killed it.

I was there too! (It was 88 though, assuming you're talking about the Depeche/OMD/Thomas Dolby/Wire show.)
    That was the only time I've seen OMD aside from the Amoeba instore last year, and I'm ready for a full set again.

They were amazing at the Fonda about a year and a half ago (I want to say? My sense of time is pretty off)... Been encouraging everyone I know going to the Polo Fields to add them to their must see list. Will be hard to not have a good time during their set!

Quote Originally Posted by CrimesceneCookie View Post
    I was there too! (It was 88 though, assuming you're talking about the Depeche/OMD/Thomas Dolby/Wire show.)
    That was the only time I've seen OMD aside from the Amoeba instore last year, and I'm ready for a full set again.
    Damn. It was 88? That stadiumwide food fight between omd and dm's set was epic! That shit will never happen again.

just for fun...

Quote Originally Posted by CrimesceneCookie View Post
    just for fun...

Wow. All i have left is my program and ticket stub. My shirt shrank to the size of a toddler's after one wash.