Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blonde Redhead - Penny Sparkle

Default Re: Blonde Redhead - Penny Sparkle

you were probably listening to the transcode...that's likely why.

I've yet to listen to Penny Sparkle. I enjoyed 23 quite a bit. I think Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons is my favorite though.

I am eagerly awaiting this release.
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

http://beggarsgroupusa.com/releases/penny-sparkle/

CD copies will be a limited Deluxe Edition - packaged in a flip top box with the CD inside a linen draw string printed purse and including a poster.

LPs will include a digital download coupon for MP3s of the entire album

Hmmm. I always get the vinyl, but it's tempting to try a CD when the packaging is unique and there's a poster. Decisions, decisions. Ah, fuck it. Both.

The opener for the later dates is Olof Arnalds, and Beggars Group lists a second show at the Fonda on the 17th, but it's not on ticketmaster. Maybe it's a mistake?
    Last edited by Boourns; 08-31-2010 at 01:29 PM.
    7/26 Au Revoir Simone @ The Roxy, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ Observatory, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

lf Arnalds is supporting? You better take extra tissues.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Found these on flickr...the deluxe CD packaging:

7/26 Au Revoir Simone @ The Roxy, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ Observatory, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

$7.99 at target. I think the deluxe packaging is only for independent stores, but hey 7.99.

Any word on recent setlists?

I was going to go to the listening party for this... but I got tied up with school...
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Recent setlist. As much as I <3 Blonde Redhead and the new album, I'm not really feeling this. Specifically the shortness (their Norva headlining show was pretty short as well) and the selection of non-Penny Sparkle material.

hmmm....dubious choices for the encore. and, agreed on it being too short. maybe that was a warmup?

I got Penny Sparkle finally. The songs are really good, but one after the other, they make a flat line. It's kind of boring... I don't agree with the comparisons to 23. I loved 23 a lot. I also loved Misery is a Butterfly, of course. I think those two are my top favorites in the Blonde Redhead world. Anyway, "Spain" is a brilliant song.
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Love or Prison is such a wonderful song. I can't wait to hear it live.
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

Wow. That setlist is really, really not good for me

That setlists pretty solid for me, though I would have loved "Misery is a Butterfly" or "Elephant Woman" or "Pink Love" to be on it. "Dr. Strangeluv" -> "Spring And By Summer Fall" is wonderful. "Melody of a Certain Three" and "Falling Man." Excellent!

I'm really looking forward to this show, no matter what the setlist. Especially since they announced a show down the street from me for $15, so now I can sell the tix I bought for the Vancouver show for $40 and saunter downtown to see them instead of waiting in those goddamn border line-ups. Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    That setlists pretty solid for me
    Really???
    I do not think Penny Sparkle is a very good album -- not solid enough for their set to include 9 of the 10 songs on the album.

Of the set list posted, 9 songs are from Penny Sparkle, 4 are from 23, 2 are from Misery, and 2 are from Melody. I reaaaally don't want to hear that much from Penny Sparkle. And damn, no songs at all from the 90s.

It is a great album, actually.

I would like another song from misery and melody, though. Dying to see them do misery is a butterfly and hated because of great thoughts. Surely they will tour again next year?

I was hoping for more of their older stuff too, Heidi. I'm just glad I am going to get a chance to see them in a nonfestival environment. I was way too far back at Coachella.

Yea, I suppose. I've seen them many times in non-festival settings. I am getting to the point where they aggravate me with how heavily they push the latest album. I understand playing primarily newer material, but come on! Do their new fans not like the older albums or something?

They liked the old stuff better when it was called Sonic Youth.

To be honest, I kind of ignore the pre-melody stuff. While I would love more non-Penny Sparkle songs in their setlist, I do think that Penny Sparkle is a great album. It's not as great as the prevous three, but I think those three albums are perfect, so... I actually wish they'd take out "Penny Sparkle" and play "Spain" instead though. And yeah, more Misery and Melody songs would always be cool, but I like the tracks for those albums that they are playing a lot.

last night's show at the Fillmore was superb! it was my first time seeing them and i had no idea they would be so fantastic live. everything from the stage set to their musicianship was so solid...they just ooze "professional."

Heidi/Geno....thanks again for turning me on to these guys. i kept thinking during the show "why the fuck did i not know about these guys before?!" i'm glad you'll get another chance to see them in April.

EDIT: deleted out what you guys know so CoS doesn't pinch it.
    Last edited by GeezrRckr; 11-20-2010 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezrRckr View Post
    but, i did get the chance to chat it up with their tour manager and he said "yes" when i asked about them playing Coachella.
    Good lookin' out! Although they'll most likely be a lot earlier in the day, they're not that big.
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Good lookin' out! Although they'll most likely be a lot earlier in the day, they're not that big.
    Huh? They played after dark on the Outdoor Stage, 3 years ago. Why would they play earlier?

yeah, huh. shame...would be such a fantastic production/set to end the day on.

EDIT: but wait, if Fever Ray got that slot, why is it out of the realm for BR to do the same. they've got a larger following and many more albums. i'm not counting this out, my friend. i just hope it's not up against ...oh, you missed it.
    Last edited by GeezrRckr; 11-20-2010 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    Huh? They played after dark on the Outdoor Stage, 3 years ago. Why would they play earlier?
    Oh. Wasn't aware. Carry on.
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

oh yeah...can't post the set list as i am not familiar enough with their library to name them (plus, i suck at that shit anyway). but, i forgot to mention that they came out for a 2nd encore totally spontaneously. the house lights had come on and i was already at coat check waiting for my date to come out of the bathroom. then, all of a sudden, i hear music. i'm not a fan of the trite encore tradition, but this time it was rad.
    Last edited by GeezrRckr; 11-20-2010 at 12:39 PM.

I did but I am SO NOT A FAN.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezrRckr View Post
    oh yeah...can't post the set list as i am not familiar enough with their library to name them (plus, i suck at that shit anyway). but, i forgot to mention that they came out for a 2nd encore totally spontaneously. the house lights had come on and i was already at coat check waiting for my date to come out of the bathroom. then, all of a sudden, i hear music. i'm not a fan of the trite encore tradition, but this time it was rad.

ps - hopefully someone saw the other lineup hint i threw up.
    PM me, plz, I was crapping my guts out and missed it.

Really want to see them because I wasn't able to catch any of the shows this year.

And speaking of Fever Ray elements, the video for "Not Getting There" has the mask at 2:12. And there are lazers.