Default Re: October

eff this.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/LovE...102385104.html

LovEvolution canceled due to dispute on location
    By: Joshua Sabatini
    Examiner Staff Writer
    September 7, 2010
    This year’s annual LovEvolution parade and dance party that attracts 90,000 attendees to San Francisco has been canceled due to a dispute with The City over its location. (www.sflovevolution.org/)

This year’s annual LovEvolution parade and dance party in San Francisco that attracts 90,000 attendees has been canceled.

The cancellation of the Oct. 2 event comes after LovEvolution organizers could not come to an agreement with The City about where to hold the parade and dance party. Citing public safety concerns, city officials refused to allow the event to be held at the Civic Center, as it has been for the past six years.

Public safety concerns for the event were heightened following a rash of violence associated with San Francisco entertainment events this summer, and a similar July event in Germany resulting in 21 deaths and 500 injuries.

“We’re not having the event this year,” Lovevolution event manager John Wood told the San Francisco Examiner on Tuesday afternoon.

Event organizers and the Mayor’s Office holding the event instead at the parking lot of Candlestick Park. But they were told they had to go through the process of securing approval from the Recreation and Park Commission. In the end, on Monday, organizers decided to cancel the event.

“There was not enough time,” Wood said. “Of course we’re frustrated.”

Wood said that the concern was understandable given the summer incidents, but they still thought they could put on an event that wouldn’t be marred by violence.

“We felt we could do a safe event,” Wood said. “Others thought it was too risky.”

Newsom spokesman Tony Winnicker said, “Major events are part of what makes San Francisco a great city and we want to continue to be supportive. Hopefully, their decision to postpone the event to sometime next year will give the organizers more time to work with The City to ensure public safety and develop a responsible event plan.”

Organizers are now working on securing a location to bring LovEvolution back to San Francisco in 2011. They want to use Golden Gate Park’s Polo Fields.

If they do not obtain approval for this location, they may hold the event in another city like Oakland, in areas such as downtown or the Oakland Coliseum, according to Wood.

Wood is optimistic about next year. The hiatus is an opportunity to “come back bigger and better than ever, and that’s our intention,” he said.

Read more at the San Francisco Examiner: http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/LovE...#ixzz0ytILOpR4
    I gotta call a fail on the city for not being more reasonable or whatever in working with these guys. Have there been many actual issues like deaths or mass injuries like they say they're afraid of? I havent heard of any coming from the SF event and to their credit they've run a successful event for several years now. I know its a lightning rod for controversy even amongst EDM fans, but Love Parade SF has a good clean "track record" dont they?

And also, Civic Center is out in the open where there aren't any tunnels to get stuck in like the Germany event. Only thing close to that is the BART/Muni station at Civic Center. Is that what they're really concerned about?

anyone's thoughts on the possibility of GG Park vs. Oakland in the future?

october? ROCKTOBER http://bit.ly/gvrktbr sorry ( its so cal shows.. ).. but i saw the october thread title and got excited.
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    october? ROCKTOBER http://bit.ly/gvrktbr sorry ( its so cal shows.. ).. but i saw the october thread title and got excited.
    Dani, Arcade Fire isnt playing Nokia Theatre.

Uhm, "rash" of violence at SF events this summer? I'm struggling to think of more than one this summer, which was not even at an 'event' but a private party.

Oakland Coliseum would be terrible. This reads to me like: if they are going to be made to have proper security and crowd control, they'd rather just host a massive type event where they can restrict attendance by ticket (price).

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    spammer.

This event always marks the feelings "coachella is half a year away" vibe. This sucks-I could care less about the after party at the warfield, lovefest was about being in the middle of city dancing your ass off. I understand both sides but in the end-shitty situation.
    2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

as for Lovefest....we live in a society built on fear. why am i craving some strudel and thinking of Hogan's Heroes all of a sudden?

Saw the first Flaming Lips show and both Arcade Fire shows last week. I wish we got Powerless instead of the laser hands light show for Flaming Lips on Friday but whatever...

Can't wait to see Interpol in a week and Sufjan Stevens after that!! Such a good month!

:-D

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows

Events
    Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015, SDCC 7/9-12/2015