Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You ever get a random, high pitched ringing in your ear with no provocation?

Default You ever get a random, high pitched ringing in your ear with no provocation?

What the hell is that?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Default Re: You ever get a random, high pitched ringing in your ear with no provocation?

That's My Bloody Valentine telling you to remember them always.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    You were right. I was wrong.

Default Re: You ever get a random, high pitched ringing in your ear with no provocation?

yeah. yeah.

But seriously, it's your ear tuning itself. And in case you were wondering, the call/response ratio is 1:1.2. The hairs in your ears can actually generate these tones...

I strongly suggest you purchase Jacob Kirkegard's "Labyrinthitis" from Touch Records.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

i do. i've been getting them more frequently too which kinda scares me since i don't hear so well. the other day everything sounded way muted too. i hope we're not going deaf!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

last night when i lay my good ear down on the pillow, i head crickets but when i lifted my head to see if my good ear could hear the crickets, it couldn't. i dont think there were any crickets.

Beck secretly fucked your ear.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    The Smiths - makes me think bin Laden has a point.

its definitely the first signs of you going def.

ala

Quote Originally Posted by paganman7 View Post
    I had a dream that my wife cheated on me with Calmer. True story.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Did you find pee in her butt?

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    yeah. yeah.

But seriously, it's your ear tuning itself.
    I've always wondered. The nerd in me kinda hoped it was some sorta frequency that I could hear when a certain sort of transmission was made, and that someday I'd find the source of the transmissions and some grand secret of the world would be unveiled to me. Alas.

You know those stories of people who could pick up radio signals with their teeth? That true?

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    The nerd in me kinda hoped it was some sorta frequency that I could hear when a certain sort of transmission was made, and that someday I'd find the source of the transmissions and some grand secret of the world would be unveiled to me. Alas.
    It'll be OK

Is it worse than when you answer the phone and it's a fucking air horn of some ship blowing with the captain telling you that you've won a vacation blaring into your ear, or a recording of Michelle calling you telling you that your warranty on your car has expired?

Yeah, the high pitch happens to me once in a while.

thestripe

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    Is it worse than when you answer the phone and it's a fucking air horn of some ship blowing with the captain telling you that you've won a vacation blaring into your ear, or a recording of Michelle calling you telling you that you're warranty on your car has expired?
    Nothings worse than that.

Quote Originally Posted by real talk View Post
    That's My Bloody Valentine telling you to remember them always.
    That's immediately what sprung to mind when I saw the thread title. My ringing increased for three straight days following their first show at Roseland.

I do get that ringing, bmack. Not severe by any stretch, but it's there. In fact, I've got it right now. It might be residual noise from having a massive hangover while playing music with some friends on Sunday afternoon. But it also happens with no provocation.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

I know it's not concert ringing because I haven't been to a show in a week, and this has been happening for as long as I can remember. It's just a short, very loud high frequency that I get sometimes, and Jared's explanation makes sense. Sadly.

happens to me every once in a while too... nothing to worry about.

Actually it is something you should think about. It could be the beginning of a decline in your hearing. When i noticed it happening more frequently, that's when i started wearing earplugs in loud situations. When i listen to music or watch something, i don't go crazy with the sound being too loud. i figure i have a lot of hearing to do; and being cautious with the damage i suspect i already have is a good move in my opinion.

My problem is that I can no longer hear high pitches anymore. Is that too many times spent next to the speaker?

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    My problem is that I can no longer hear high pitches anymore. Is that too many times spent next to the speaker?
    That and getting older. i go for the plugs when i feel that filling and stuffiness of the ear. i mess with my plugs throughout the show to see if i don't need them (i love being parked by sound boards for great sound). When i take pictures, i put them in definitely before i even get close to the barricade. i have had my head on the speaker and won't do it unless i got something in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by ivankay View Post
    Actually it is something you should think about. It could be the beginning of a decline in your hearing. When i noticed it happening more frequently, that's when i started wearing earplugs in loud situations. When i listen to music or watch something, i don't go crazy with the sound being too loud. i figure i have a lot of hearing to do; and being cautious with the damage i suspect i already have is a good move in my opinion.
    Once and a while is totally fine.

You can actually generate these tones yourself if you have a simple sin tone generator. Just play two high tones (above 4000 works best) at a ratio of 1 to 1.2, your ear will then attempt to generate the first tone itself. This will sound different, almost as if it is coming from inside your head. The music piece I mentioned before plays on this phenomenon.

It is nothing to worry about, but should only last a few seconds. Tinnitus is constant ringing, this has nothing to do with that. There are tons of circumstances that cause your ears to auto tune like that: pressure changes, sudden shifts in volume perception, exposure to pitches that you don't normally hear, and regular checks that your ears do on themselves.

I love the vibration, when you can feel it in your heart and your bones. Unfortunately you also feel it in your ears for years to come.

i get this from time to time too. It's strange, sorta like what I imagined it sounds like after a gernade goes off next to you and you lose your hearing. Everytime it happens to me I think of Saving Private Ryan (though not that bad, of course).

I always wondered what this was but was apparently too lazy to go to wikipedia myself. Finally someone brings it up here
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    I love the vibration, when you can feel it in your heart and your bones. Unfortunately you also feel it in your ears for years to come.

You can still feel it with your ears protected.

wmgaretjax is right, but after the abuse that has gone on to my ears over my time here so far, i'm going to play it as safe as i can.

i think this happens to everyone...

it actually happens to me when i'm high a lot. and it's fucking scary.

I hear waves in my right ear whenever I go to sleep. It is really weird.

I don't have a high-pitched ringing, but every so often the sound completely drops out of my right ear. It returns fairly quickly, but for a few seconds it feels like I've crammed several cotton balls in one ear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

bmack...

bmack!
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

As I continue staring at the wall.

You may land up putting more attention to stage presence as time goes on.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

hearing loss is so annoying