Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 282930313233

Thread: College Football 2010

Default Re: College Football 2010

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    But see, when you play with players that aren't supposed to be eligible to play, that is cheating.
    I understand the NCAA's stance on this. Reggie Bush accepted favors so he was ineligible. Strip him of his Heisman and drag his name through the mud - I'm all for it. But if the NCAA is going to start stripping teams of victories and championships they had better be able to prove that Bush wasn't the only person from the program involved and/or aware of his indiscretions. Jim Tressel didn't get canned because his players sold jerseys and got free tattoos. He got canned because he knew about it and did nothing. I don't believe for one minute that Pete Carroll or anyone else on the USC coaching staff knew what Bush was up to, and there were hundreds of other players that went through that program during the same time who didn't take money. The NCAA is saying that their accomplishments are worthless because Reggie's mom got to stay in a mansion in San Diego for less than a year. It's bullshit. It cheapens the stakes of the game. Winning doesn't mean as much if there's the possibility that years down the line the NCAA is going to throw the whole thing out the fucking window. Just wait til Auburn gets stripped of their championship.

At what point is the NCAA gonna bite the bullet and require that all schools start paying their college athletes to compete. Most of these violations involve an extremely small amount of money - hundreds of dollars in most cases. If every college athlete got a per diem of some kind then there truly would be no excuse for accepting gifts and maybe these sanctions would feel more deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    But if the NCAA is going to start stripping teams of victories and championships they had better be able to prove that Bush wasn't the only person from the program involved and/or aware of his indiscretions. Jim Tressel didn't get canned because his players sold jerseys and got free tattoos. He got canned because he knew about it and did nothing. I don't believe for one minute that Pete Carroll or anyone else on the USC coaching staff knew what Bush was up to, and there were hundreds of other players that went through that program during the same time who didn't take money. The NCAA is saying that their accomplishments are worthless because Reggie's mom got to stay in a mansion in San Diego for less than a year. It's bullshit. It cheapens the stakes of the game. Winning doesn't mean as much if there's the possibility that years down the line the NCAA is going to throw the whole thing out the fucking window. Just wait til Auburn gets stripped of their championship.

Always remember, regardless of what info is being released in any of these investigations and / or reports, there is a fair portion of evidence being covered up.

Schools like USC and Ohio State are money-makers for the NCAA and it hurts college football more than it helps to have them sanctioned, punished, stripped of titles... whatever the case.

There is a lot not being released about these schools. If the NCAA and BCS feel what happened is enough to merit stripping them of titles, then that tells me that there is a lot more to the story than just the Reggie Bush incident and the NCAA just doesn't want us knowing about it all because it could damage THEIR image (and product) as well over a long period of time.

I know of one very highly touted basketball recruit who's from the 2011 class who was down to three schools. Two of schools were offering something to him as an incentive to play basketball there.

Whether it be money, vehicles, housing - whatever the case - he was given a chance to take something under the table. He chose the school that didn't offer him anything. Why? Well you see what's going on now, so I can only assume he feared the worst at the end of the day had he taken the offer from one of the two other schools.

College sports is a dirty business and everyone does some form of rule-bending, but it's all about how blatant you are about it and the magnitude of cheating. Not everyone is doing this at the level of USC and Ohio State.... you even mentioned Auburn and their day will come too and like I said, from what I hear, Oregon is on the NCAA's radar currently. You have to be smart about it and when Reggie Bush wasn't smart about it, the NCAA went investigating and found a huge pile of shit.

This happens all over the place in both major college sports.

Arizona, for example, was docked a couple of basketball scholarships and forced to forfeit all of their wins from the 2007-08 season because two players were playing ineligible. What happened?

From the NCAA -

"The violations in this case center around three Arizona Cactus Classic basketball tournaments and a GOAZCATS.com Showdown, which the promoter was allowed to conduct on the university’s campus. The committee found that the (Olson) set the violations in motion when he allowed the promoter to have access to boosters to solicit financial support. The former head coach arranged for the promoter to speak directly to Rebounders, the men’s basketball booster club for the university, at regularly scheduled meetings. On one occasion, the former head coach personally exhorted these boosters to assist the promoter, and also sent a letter to boosters reminding them that the events were important for recruiting.

As a result, Rebounders members provided more than $197,000 in contributions to the promoter. This money was used to fund the events, which the former head coach acknowledged were beneficial to recruiting.

Because the former head coach was involved in the promotion of the events, the funding received by the participating prospective student-athletes became impermissible recruiting inducements. Two men’s basketball student-athletes competed while ineligible during the 2007-08 academic year, based on their receipt of impermissible benefits from the 2006 Cactus Classic
    ."

So, basically, Arizona was screwed out of an entire season because Lute Olson promoted a tournament. Not only that, but they are currently recruiting with the allotment of one less scholarship than normal because of these sanctions.

For the sake of argument, if Arizona wins the national title that year, they could very well be in the same boat USC is in now. You have coaches promote events like this all the time, but they do it in a way that skirts around the rules. Lute Olson either didn't understand what he was doing at the time or he didn't know the rules.

Basically, if you get caught, it's because you did something pretty dumb, blatant and / or arrogantly. I believe that Reggie Bush is being put out there as the cover boy for all of USC's problems. I also believe Pete Carroll knew what was going on at the time it was happening.
    Last edited by GuyInTucson; 06-07-2011 at 05:14 PM.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Anything these athletes and coaches are doing pale in comparison to corruption and manipulation perpetrated by the BCS execs and the people running the bowl games. Also, you and I have a different definition of the word "cheating." I don't think Reggie Bush cheated in any way shape or form at any point during his collegiate career.

Anything these athletes and coaches are doing pale in comparison to corruption and manipulation perpetrated by the BCS execs and the people running the bowl games. Also, you and I have a different definition of the word "cheating." I don't think Reggie Bush cheated in any way shape or form at any point during his collegiate career.
    Reggie Bush did cheat. Not on the field where play is affected, but off of it.

But, I do agree with your first statement regarding the BCS and bowl games.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Butch Davis just got fired at North Carolina. A little surprising considering they stuck with him this far.

Picked up tickets to the UW @ Stanford game on 10/22. GO DAWGS!!!
    9/27 Simian Mobile Disco @ The Mezzanine
    10/5 The War On Drugs @ The Fillmore
    10/21 Jessie Ware @ The Chapel
    10/24 Little Dragon @ the Fox Theatre
    10/24 Rfs Du Sol @ The Mezzanine
    10/29 PHISH @ Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    10/31 AlunaGeorge @ 1015 (?)
    11/29 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre

I was in need of a new UW hoodie. In my search, I found and immediately ordered this totally awesome one:

Score!!
    9/27 Simian Mobile Disco @ The Mezzanine
    10/5 The War On Drugs @ The Fillmore
    10/21 Jessie Ware @ The Chapel
    10/24 Little Dragon @ the Fox Theatre
    10/24 Rfs Du Sol @ The Mezzanine
    10/29 PHISH @ Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    10/31 AlunaGeorge @ 1015 (?)
    11/29 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre

San Diego St. loses only two games this year and finishes in the top ten. eleven.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

I dont think they will beat Michigan, Boise and TCU.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

I have them beating Michigan. My wiseguy pick for the year. Who knows. Should be a great game.

A bold statement, right there.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by chunk View Post
    I have them beating Michigan. My wiseguy pick for the year. Who knows. Should be a great game.
    You rally think Denard Robinson can be stopped more or less? The guy missed a couple games and still threw for over 2000+ and ran for 1500+.

You can only hope to contain him.

Some more:

South Florida beats Notre Dame Saturday. Luck, Jones finish 1 -2 in very close heisman vote. Maybe tie. And super crazy: Four teams will finish undefeated at the end of the regular season: Stanford, Alabama, Boise St., and Oklahoma.

Prediction - SEC extends its streak of National Championships to 6.

Florida beats Georgia once again.

Prediction - The BCS will once again prove to be a completely useless and arbitrary way to determine who the top teams are.
    last.fm

Yep. March Madness ftw.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

Some more:

South Florida beats Notre Dame Saturday. Luck, Jones finish 1 -2 in very close heisman vote. Maybe tie. And super crazy: Four teams will finish undefeated at the end of the regular season: Stanford, Alabama, Boise St., and Oklahoma.
    So youre thinking Stanford beats Oregon this time around. Boise will end up maybe #3 if they are undefeated. So theyll still get short changed, and end up in the fiesta bowl again.

And yeah, SEC wins 6 in a row.

And super crazy: Four teams will finish undefeated at the end of the regular season: Stanford, Alabama, Boise St., and Oklahoma.
    If that happens. Bama beats Oklahoma to keep the championship in the SEC. Where it belongs.

Some more:

I would bet any amount of money this doesn't happen. The Irish are for real this year. Also, take a look at the list of every heisman winner in the history of college football and tell me if you see any ties. Your predictions are terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Prediction - The BCS will once again prove to be a completely useless and arbitrary way to determine who the top teams are.
    This^^^^. It's too bad you can't bet on that in Vegas.

I would bet any amount of money this doesn't happen. The Irish are for real this year. Also, take a look at the list of every heisman winner in the history of college football and tell me if you see any ties. Your predictions are terrible.
    I just took a look at the list and there have been already 132 ties so far.

USC - 30
    ND - 17