Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Android Phones

Default Re: Android Phones

BUMP

The past few weeks my phone (HTC Droid Incredible 2) has only been charging to about 50%. So I ordered a new (refurbished?) battery and replaced it last night, and it's still charging only halfway. So the problem is probably not with the batteries but the phone itself. Is it toast? I have insurance...should I expect to fork over the deductible for a replacement (probably a different model)? Or is there a fix for this shit? I'd like a fully charged phone for Weekend 1...thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

How are those batteries even "refurbished"? There are so many variables here it is hard to know what the problem actually is.

1. How long does the battery last after you charge it all night (that is keep it plugged in long past when it reaches it's new maximum of 50%)? That is maybe the battery actually fully charges but due to some error somewhere the phone displays it as 50%. Charge it all night and see how long it lasts. Then charge it only until it reaches 49% and use it (the same way) and see if it lasts the same amount of time.

2. Assuming it actually the battery actually only charges half way with your set up is there another way you can get those batteries fully charged? Do you have a friend that has the same phone or a phone that uses the same battery? Do you have an external charger?
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

I ordered a battery directly from Verizon. I assumed it would be brand new but I guess I'm not surprised the little bag it came in said it was 'reconditioned' or something. Not sure how you can do that with a battery, but even so why would the problem persist with two different batteries?

1. I charge it overnight, in the morning it's around halfway full. It doesn't seem like it's just showing 50% when it's really 100%. It definitely seems to deplete quicker, and I'm in the yellow or red by midday depending on how much use it's getting. (Not much at all, I'm at work.)

2. I don't know anyone with the same phone, or HTCs for that matter. But I can't imagine two batteries in a row would both charge overnight to around 50%, and it's not an issue with the phone itself.
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

I just got an update on the Sprint Galaxy S3, over the weekend, and was pleased to see the mic (talk to text) option is back for most text fields. I know it was always there, but it required changing the text settings to a different format I didn't particularly like using. All is well with the world again.
    Upcoming: 04/11/14-04/13/14 - Coachella Weekend One; 04/18/14-04/20/14 - Coachella Weekend Two; 08/19/14 - NIN/Soundgarden (Isleta Amphitheater - Albuquerque, NM)

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    BUMP

The past few weeks my phone (HTC Droid Incredible 2) has only been charging to about 50%. So I ordered a new (refurbished?) battery and replaced it last night, and it's still charging only halfway. So the problem is probably not with the batteries but the phone itself. Is it toast? I have insurance...should I expect to fork over the deductible for a replacement (probably a different model)? Or is there a fix for this shit? I'd like a fully charged phone for Weekend 1...thanks
    does the phone claim it is fully charged and then immediately dip to 50% when unplugged, or does it show roughly 50% and claim to be still charging and just never increase?

The power bar itself hasn't appeared over half full in weeks.

So I feel really dumb for asking this... but I can't find the answer online and figured I would try here.

I have a Galaxy 2II which has been running on the same operating system as when I got it (Gingerbread 2.3.3, I believe). I have a mac and when I tried to update it, I found out Kies does't work with macs. I haven't bothered with it since then, but I want to update it now. So... how the hell do I upgrade to the latest operating system?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

I was going to go into a thing but then saw that these things apparently work very differently in Canada. I have never heard of Kies before and I've had a Samsung phone for a year and a half (and have gotten several OTA updates).

The Samsung Kies website does suggest that they have versions for Mac OS but I don't know enough about Kies, Macs or anything here to say much.

Thanks for that, John. It had been a while since I checked and last time I did, there was no Kies for mac. Now that I have it on my computer... it won't recognize my device. I have tried all the suggestions I have found online, and nothing has worked. The latest thing that has happened it after I go to install the drivers and try to reconnect, I get a notification that says "Device Not Responding." Has anyone else here had this problem?
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

is Kies open on your phone while connected to the computer?
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) 10/3-5 Austin City Limits

My phone says "MTP Application" at the top. It shows a USB in the middle of the screen. Underneath it has a status bar that says "Connected. Press the home key the quit Samsung Kies"

On my computer it keeps going back and forth between "Connecting..." and "Please Connect a Device." It will then show the "Device Not Responding" window.

it seems like the phone is trying to do what it needs to do and that the mac is what's holding it up. does the phone usually sync with iTunes or anything else on the mac? perhaps another piece of software is interrupting the connection on the mac? does it mount the storage?
    2012 2013 2014

My phone went swimming. Chances of it working again?

Put it in a bag of rice and don't try to turn it on for a day or two, should work.
    Women just obviously can't write creative music. They're all ripping off the Beatles, who were men. Duh.

take off the cover and remove the battery and SD card if you can to speed it up and prevent corrosion while the rice soaks up the moisture. if it was salt water or really dirty, you may want to dip it in a rubbing alcohol solution first.
    2012 2013 2014

In rice, not rinsed. Toilet. Mine. Not public. I'm drunk. Goinf to check out some rockabilly street show. I left that one up there. This shit took me way too long to write.

Okay, so I've had to trade in my tin can and string for one of these updated Samsung Galaxy 3 phones/camera/pocket sized pain in the ass things that I've seen others meandering through life with... their necks bent down and eyes focused on a screen, leaving them ignorant to their surroundings. Up until now, I just figured they were very busy or popular people, but after the past month, I've concluded that in actuality, they're still just trying to figure the damn things out, as I am.
    I was totally okay with the flip-top cell phone I had, but unfortunately, Sprint decided to discontinue that model and offered an upgrade. Personally, I just need a phone to use when I'm away from home, or for work purposes, but Pete insisted that I get one like his. I'll admit, if we were out somewhere and had a wait or some shit like that, he'd get on his and check his mail, facebook, etc, and I'd wish that I had something to pass my time. BUT... to make a simple phonecall? Or, better yet, an emergency call where I need to dial quick... WTF is with all the sliding the finger and waiting, and then choosing an icon...just to make a 2 minute call? My next WTF is, who the hell has fingers tiny enough to actually text without error? I know... I already went out and got my own little stylus... happened to find it when I was searching for a way to have my new phone conveniently at my side... not buried in my purse.So far, all I've found is a protective case with no way of attaching it to my person. I'm afraid that I'll walk off and leave it somewhere! I did see armband type holders for joggers, but that can't be the only way, is it?
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

these things make phone calls? honestly though, making phone calls has become more of a secondary feature of today's smartphones and as a result, the "phone" is just an app running on your pocket computer. you'll get used to it.

as for the touchscreen keyboard, try the native swype keyboard instead of hunting and pecking on the keyboard. it's much easier/faster and much more forgiving as well.
    2012 2013 2014

Seriously...Who makes phone calls anymore?
    Youth, you son of a bitch, where did you go?

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Ocean View Post
    so I assume you've never been cunt punched at a festival? Well lucky you!

Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    BUT... to make a simple phonecall? Or, better yet, an emergency call where I need to dial quick... WTF is with all the sliding the finger and waiting, and then choosing an icon...just to make a 2 minute call?
    You can put Direct Dial widgets on your home screens, like the apps. So you can call Pete (or whomever) just as easily as opening Facebook. You could even set up a whole screen of your most called numbers.

Also when you first wake up your phone if you use a pattern to unlock the phone it should read "EMERGENCY CALL" at the bottom (I have a different Samsung Galaxy phone; these things vary a little). If you press that you can get to a dialer without even unlocking the phone, though it may only be able to call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    happened to find it when I was searching for a way to have my new phone conveniently at my side... not buried in my purse.So far, all I've found is a protective case with no way of attaching it to my person. I'm afraid that I'll walk off and leave it somewhere! I did see armband type holders for joggers, but that can't be the only way, is it?
    Searching Amazon pulls up several options.
    Last edited by mountmccabe; 06-24-2013 at 04:29 AM.

Anyone have any idea how the quality of concert videos the Galaxy S4 takes?
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

I love my Note 2...but the cases are too bulky, so I just keep it in my back pocket
    Life Is Beautiful Festival, Las Vegas 2013
    First time at Coachella will be April 2014!

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    Anyone have any idea how the quality of concert videos the Galaxy S4 takes?
    It's pretty much just like the S3 - pure crap. There is major clipping in both. See this comparison: http://youtu.be/SaL87kEqZ4Y

If you want to take videos at a concert, get an HTC One, which has a dual membrane mic and it sounds pretty damn good: http://youtu.be/1zifeniszfM http://youtu.be/cu93LczyBrU

Thanks for those links. yep. HTC ONE kills. Fuck. I love my Galaxy S2, and want to upgrade to a S4.... but recording videos is a big deal to me, and clearly HTC ONE takes quality.
    Upcoming Shows:

Muse @ MSG shot on a HTC One. Ya, im impressed with the audio quality.
    Upcoming Shows:

Help! My phone is acting crazy. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3. It keeps rebooting over and over, and then stops. It only shows the first "Samsung" screen, then the "Galaxy S3" screen, then just goes off. I've tried removing the battery and leaving it out for quite awhile, but it's not working.

What do I do?
    8/21 - The Zombies - Santa Monica Pier
    8/22 - Slint - El Rey (?)
    8/23-24 - FYF Fest - Exposition Park
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

trying booting it into recovery (VOLUME DOWN + HOME + POWER BUTTON) and deleting the cache. if that doesn't work, you also have the option to do soft and hard resets in the same menu.
    2012 2013 2014

When I do Volume Down + Home + Power Button it does nothing.
    8/21 - The Zombies - Santa Monica Pier
    8/22 - Slint - El Rey (?)
    8/23-24 - FYF Fest - Exposition Park
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

are you holding them down while powering on? how far does it get in the boot up before it reboots on you?
    2012 2013 2014

shoot, it's volume up, not volume down. both should get you to a menu, but volume up should give you a bunch of options:

1. reboot system
    2. apply update from ADB
    3. apply update from external storage
    4. wipe data/factory reset
    5. wipe cache partition (my recommended solution)
    6. apply update from cache
    2012 2013 2014