Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Android Phones

Default Re: Android Phones

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Marc's Droid told me I'm not very good at animals.
    NO...it said that it wasn't good at identifying animals...when I took your picture.

Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    That's crazy, do they explicitly say there's no penalty for tethered bandwidth? Up until now manufacturers have sort of just turned a blind eye.
    As far as I know, it's widely known and free. But, yeah, there's no instructions or anything. You pair them with Bluetooth, right click the device, and hit "Connect to Access Point." That's it. I even put a shortcut on my desktop so I wouldn't have to go in the control panel every time.

It's certainly much easier than my old T-Mobile Windows phone, which involved using a Bluetooth dial up modem.

Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    There seems to be a lot of confusion on this. Droid is the brand name of certain Android phones on Verizon, although they are made by different companies. I had lunch with someone today that had told me she got a Droid a while back. I said something about hers having a keyboard and she said it didn't. She pulled it out and it was some candybar shaped Android phone from T-Mobile. (Which really should have had a slider keyboard because it was super thick anyway, and had a very small screen.)
    When I picked out my phone in March, I had the choice between the droid Eris and the next version up (on verizon). the next version had the sliding keyboard, but it was way bulkier than the eris. I liked the feel of the eris more because it fit in my hand better and reminded me more of my ipod touch. downside is that the keyboard on the screen is super small. but yeah, i think i need to focus more on apps that increase the functionality of my phone, and not silly ones like google sky (which i do have). i also have goggles and bump (which so far has not worked for me) and ringdroid (which i haven't attempted to use yet) and some others. i need to get a camera app like you were talking about. i didn't realize the app would enable you to press the screen to take pics. i need that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

also, have you had any lagging issues like i described?

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

There seems to be a lot of confusion on this. Droid is the brand name of certain Android phones on Verizon, although they are made by different companies. I had lunch with someone today that had told me she got a Droid a while back. I said something about hers having a keyboard and she said it didn't. She pulled it out and it was some candybar shaped Android phone from T-Mobile. (Which really should have had a slider keyboard because it was super thick anyway, and had a very small screen.)
    It's probably the one that I have (the MyTouch). The newest version does have a slider keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    It is Joycian (if James Joyce were a Super Bitch).

Quote Originally Posted by tessalasset View Post
    When I picked out my phone in March, I had the choice between the droid Eris and the next version up (on verizon).
    I forgot about the Eris. If you go to the Droid website, they only show Droid, Droid X and Droid Incredible.

So, I had an extra Bluetooth dongle and put it on my office computer, figuring I can tether if the cable goes out. Not only could I not get it working, but I somehow broke it on my laptop too. I'm going to try uninstalling and unpairing everything I can think of, but I'm kinda pissed.

EDIT fixed now, on both. I have no idea what the problem was.
    Last edited by M Sparks; 08-03-2010 at 06:18 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Android Phones

Quote Originally Posted by I.F.A. View Post
    It's probably the one that I have (the MyTouch). The newest version does have a slider keyboard.
    i bought the mytouch 3g slide because it has the keyboard (always had keyboard envy because my last phone was a razor2) and now i NEVER use it because of SWYPE function preloaded on phone... that thing is AWESOME! i haven't downloaded any pay apps yet but my fav free ones are:

KCRW free streaming radio
    pandora
    navigation
    taskiller
    movies
    chess
    mp3 download
    scanner radio
    tikl- touch to talk
    "conversation is a game of circles and i'm getting dizzy-- bye"

I thought Droid X was supposed to have Swype, but I don't see an option for it. I'm not sure I understand how it works.

When I picked up the model in the store and tried to type, I got gibberish. Perhaps this had Swype set up and I didn't know how to use it? I can type fine on mine, it's just slow.

Coachella Junkie

I just figured out how to force my Sprint Hero to use Verizon's towers. Hello carrier choice.

AHA! Switched to Swype. So awesome!

Thanks to whoever mentioned that Chad Ochocinco app. Funny stuff on there.

I love the last.fm app, listen to the radio on it all the time. Cool that it is now a little bit closer to the site, but still not quite useful enough to really use like I would the site.

I need to get some more apps.

I will challenge my HTC EVO against your Android any day
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Well, the HTC EVO IS an Android phone, so, have fun with that.

Boooooo...just had my first total-pull-the-battery freeze up. Right before I was going to send a LONG text.

old school

I thought Droid X was supposed to have Swype, but I don't see an option for it. I'm not sure I understand how it works.

When I picked up the model in the store and tried to type, I got gibberish. Perhaps this had Swype set up and I didn't know how to use it? I can type fine on mine, it's just slow.
    Swype is also an app for the earlier models but it will cost around 6 clams. The X comes with it dunno how to enable it tho cause I don't have it.

old school

When I tested the X in store it had swype on it. Maybe it doesn't come pre programed with it and you have to buy the app. Dunno for sure.

As I said above (though maybe not clearly), I switched the KB to Swype. It's in settings.

That was a very healthy discussion,with some good and effective points,I really appreciate this thread,thanks for all the information.

Coachella Junkie

Eat two dicks.

I tried uninstalling Handcent and reinstalling it but I am still getting two pop ups: 1 from Handcent, 1 from the native Messaging. [Note: I mean neither two (task bar) notifications nor two copies of each text; those are different issues]

I select Handcent as the default every chance I get and Messaging's defaults have all been cleared. Messaging's notifications have been turned off (I don't get task bar notifications, just pop ups.) And no, I have not rooted and as such cannot uninstall the native Messaging.

Up until now I have had Handcent's pop-up turned off... but that pop-up is half the reason to have Handcent; I like it reading texts to me, I like the quick reply space, etc.

I am going to try dealing with double pop ups for a while but I suspect it won't be that long until I just get rid of it again and keep it gone until I root.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Also in the other thread I have mentioned GalaxIR; that is now a "lite" type app and only allows you to play against the world on their servers for 5 minutes on, 30 minutes off. You can play the AI or against a close proximity friend via Bluetooth as much as you want, though. They do have GalaxIR Star as a paid app which gives you unlimited online gameplay. Neither version has ads.

I also just got Wordfeud so let me know if you want to play Scrabble (no TM.) This app is ad supported.

I also have just come across SystemPanel Lite, the free version of an app that is sort of a manual task killer, the fun part being that you can actually see things like Total CPU Time and Memory Usage for each app as well as monitor your overall usage and read the CPU clock and whatnot. Basically if you like playing with the performance tab of Windows Task Manager this app is for you. No ads.

download the appbrain market and fast web installer

and install apps in www.appbrain.com =]

and you dont need froyo(2.2)
    2009, 2010, 2011, 2012w1, 2013w1, 2014w2

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I tried uninstalling Handcent and reinstalling it but I am still getting two pop ups: 1 from Handcent, 1 from the native Messaging. [Note: I mean neither two (task bar) notifications nor two copies of each text; those are different issues]

I select Handcent as the default every chance I get and Messaging's defaults have all been cleared. Messaging's notifications have been turned off (I don't get task bar notifications, just pop ups.) And no, I have not rooted and as such cannot uninstall the native Messaging.

Up until now I have had Handcent's pop-up turned off... but that pop-up is half the reason to have Handcent; I like it reading texts to me, I like the quick reply space, etc.

I am going to try dealing with double pop ups for a while but I suspect it won't be that long until I just get rid of it again and keep it gone until I root.
    I'm actually getting three from some people if they use my Google Voice number. Seems like I get 2 for some e-mails as well.

I have an HTC Hero and i'm not too happy with it. The lagging alone makes me want to throw it against a wall sometimes. I had the same problems with the battery life, but I bought the seidio extended life battery, which makes it last long as a normal phone. All in all I wish I got a blackberry.

Froyo arrived for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Froyo arrived for me.
    Ooooo...how can you tell?

The murder capital where we murder for capital

You should get a message pop up telling you to restart your phone and an update is available and it will go through an install process, it's all pretty automatic. That's how the OTA update for 2.1 happened for me. I'm still waiting for the froyo update.

5 pages for Home, option for setting individual apps to automatic update in the market, improved features for the camera, new button at the bottom to show yr apps now has keys for phone and browser.

I have not seen how to install apps to the SD (I know the full System Panel I mentioned upthread'll do this) or Flash yet.

Quote Originally Posted by meowlouder View Post
    I have an HTC Hero and i'm not too happy with it. The lagging alone makes me want to throw it against a wall sometimes. I had the same problems with the battery life, but I bought the seidio extended life battery, which makes it last long as a normal phone. All in all I wish I got a blackberry.
    Also I don't know much about the Hero but what've you tried to alleviate these problems? The lag and the battery life could be related; it sounds like you are trying to run more than it can handle. Do you have a lot of widgets running and do you leave bluetooth and wifi and autosync etc on all the time?

Also I am sorry, I can't imagine wanting a Blackberry. It must be very bad for you.

Seidio makes good stuff. I have a Droid case/car mount from them, mainly because they work together.