Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 232425262728

Thread: Android Phones

Default Re: Android Phones

nice write up! I'm a huge fan of my S4. I didn't think it was much of an upgrade from my S3 but now that I've had for a while I can definitely tell how much better it is. I just wish my TV was a year newer so that I could take advantage of the wireless screen casting.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) 10/3-5 Austin City Limits

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Does the S4 have a successful root method? I made the mistake of letting verizon give me a Razr HD Maxx as a warranty replacement when my other phone broke, and later when I find out that I can't stream music over wifi (to an apple airport express) without root access, I realize this Motorola are root nazis and make it extremely difficult if even possible.

I've heard Samsung may be a little more hacker friendly but don't want to move to an S4 before hearing how easy (or impossible) it is to root.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I am canceling Verizon the moment my contract runs out on December 21 and switching to Virgin Mobile for their no-contract $35/month plan and getting my very first smart phone, which i am excited about. I got an LG Optimus F3 for $89.99, and it gets good reviews on many fronts except that has a very small, tiny hard drive. I'm sure i'll want to upgrade o something fancier once I've gotten the hang of things.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    Does the S4 have a successful root method?I've heard Samsung may be a little more hacker friendly but don't want to move to an S4 before hearing how easy (or impossible) it is to root.
    yeah, root is pretty easy (for now) but I think the bootloader is still locked on verizon.
    2012 2013 2014

I officially want an S5.

2012 2013 2014

I'm probably going to get it. I decided to hold off on the S4 for the S5. I might still do the S4 depending on how much they drop price of it and the price of the S5 because I'm not a power user of phones but my Evo is finally starting to show signs of it dying after all these years I've had it. My Evo has been great though and I've only had to get a new battery once and just recently switched to the extended battery I got for it for travel. But yeah I'm excited for the S5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

So fuck. I don't know where else to post this but I just dropped my Evo and now the screen is just black. I can tell the phone is still on because I see the green notification light blinking. Is there anyway to fix this that any one knows of that will allow me to hold out until the S5 is out?

Have you guys seen the Oppo Find 7 announced today?

Damn.
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    So fuck. I don't know where else to post this but I just dropped my Evo and now the screen is just black. I can tell the phone is still on because I see the green notification light blinking. Is there anyway to fix this that any one knows of that will allow me to hold out until the S5 is out?
    Sounds like a cracked LCD screen. Unless you replace the screen, you're likely boned.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    It's really boring when people use this thread to post about their successes.
    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    ...... hey im not posting anything in here about half raptor half alligator people

you could try yanking the battery to give it good hard reset, but like RHSP said, it's probably toast. if it's just the backlight you might still be able to use it for calls, though.
    2012 2013 2014

Quote Originally Posted by scenicworld View Post
    you could try yanking the battery to give it good hard reset, but like RHSP said, it's probably toast. if it's just the backlight you might still be able to use it for calls, though.
    Yeah, one of my friends busted his iPhone up pretty bad and he was able to make phone calls using some headphones that had a mic and a button that activated the voice command on the phone. Not sure if that would work on an Evo but you never know.

You could always go on eBay or Craigslist and find a burner phone to use until the S5 comes out too.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    It's really boring when people use this thread to post about their successes.
    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    ...... hey im not posting anything in here about half raptor half alligator people

Quote Originally Posted by scenicworld View Post
    I still get phone calls that I know how to answer so that makes it sill usable in the sense. I just cant see anything on the screen. There is no visible crack or anything on it where I can see and say "oh that shit is fucked up". Like I said I can still answer calls which is the most important thing right now as I am expecting some important phone calls. Just sucks this happened now as I was waiting for the S5 to come out to get a new phone.

Got back from the Sprint Store and yeah it's not fixable. Well it is but for more of the cost then it would be to just to upgrade and get a new phone. I am pretty sure I am going to end up getting the LG G2. Does anyone have it and just thoughts on it? The reviews I have read so far all seem to be pretty good. It's cheaper to activate a new line with a new number so I am going to do that but I since I am under my parents family plan I have to wait for my dad to do that and he is currently out of town.

Also for those curious I did find out that the S5 is coming out mid to late April sometime and that the starting price on Sprint at least is going to be 299 plus tax. That is more then I want to pay so that is why I am going with the G2 instead.

I am not sure if this is an issue specific to my LG Optimus F3, or it's an Android thing, but I figured asking here would be worth a shot because this is really annoying to me. Does anybody know if there is a way to switch what app is the default app for playing music files? When i clicked on files it would ask me if I wanted to make an app be the one that always opens those types of files and I clicked yes at some point, and have since realized that i much prefer to use a different app and I can't figure out how to switch it now.
    last.fm
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL

How it has worked on my Android phones (none of them an LG): Go to Applications Manager. Find the app that is now the default (note that the apps may be in different columns, Downloaded, SD Card, Stock, All) and select it. Scroll down and you are able to clear defaults. Then you can set your new favorite next time around.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

THANK you!!! I had to do it a little differently by going through system settings, but it was basically the same steps.
    last.fm