Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Spin 25th - Streaming Live Shows

Default Re: Spin 25th - Streaming Live Shows

I don't have The Fear on my iTunes either, and I've got just about all of the Flaming Lips records.

Edit: from the Flaming Lips forum: According to two youtube videos, "The Fear" is just the name for what the music they play at the beginning while they make their entrance and Wayne crowd surfs in the space bubble.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

The murder capital where we murder for capital

14 songs over two hours. Sad.

Jason, did you watch, opinions? I thought it looked and sounded decent but I also found more things to annoy me about Wayne. Mostly that megaphone into the microphone effect. It's terrible. I never thought it worked and it takes away from the song IMO when they use it.

One thing I normally complain about worked well last night and that was the yoshimi damn near a capella sing a long. It sounded good last night, but when i've seen it live it's always been so slowed down the sing-a-long doesn't even work because he pauses so much during it. Some day they will start rocking again be able to plaly 20+ songs over the course of 2 hours.

i thought it was a good show...but yeah, he talks too much and takes too much time between songs. they lose their momentum that way...

i saw "she dont use jelly" thru "i can be a frog"...then shut it off. if i had known yoshimi was next, i might have stuck around. but that is usually one of their last songs. it is funny that i didn't log on until 30 mins in, but they were still just barely starting their 3rd song. lol
    Coachella 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11
    Lollapalooza 95, 96, 97, 03, 08
    Rock The Bells 07, 09, 10
    Sasquatch 10
    Bonnaroo 09
    Vegoose 07, RIP
    Mile High 09

Upcoming Shows
    6/9 - Deftones/Dillenger | 6/10 - Cake | 6/17 - Buckethead | 6/28 - Glitch Mob | 7/25 - APC | 7/30 - LA Rising (Rage, Muse, Lauryn Hill, Rise Against) | 8/12 - Cut//Copy

Do they play The Gash at all anymore? I was looking back at the sets I've seen from them, and I've caught some cool stuff, like that twice, them doing Lightning Strikes the Postman, and covers of Seven Nation Army, Bohemian Rhapsody and War Pigs.

I <3 The Gash. I wasn't much of a fan of the War Pigs cover, because again, Wayne seems to have more fun playing with fake blood than rocking out the song. I only saw it once though on tv.

He did some terrible covers in Phoenix, one of which was Madonna's Borderline. It was another ridiculous singalong that seemed to never end. These ideas are funny and sometimes novel but he tries too hard to get every last member of the crowd involved. I don't care if the crowd knows the words to borderline. Play it if you want to cover it and keep the show moving! lol

Actually, I love Wayne's banter. I have seen The FLips twice, once at Sasquatch 08 and the other at Pemberton 08. At Sasquatch they played for just over 2 hours and played, I believe, 14 songs. At Pemberton they played an hour and played 9, maybe 10, songs. The Pemberton set was great, but their Sasquatch set was INCREDIBLE. The difference was at Pemberton he barely said a word inbetween songs. In fact, he acknowledged this by saying something along the lines of "I am sorry, I normally talk a lot more at our shows. The fact is, we only have an hour and we want to play music for you. So, come see us again sometime and we'll have a chat during the show."

See, at Sasquatch, I loved how much he talked to us. That is the thing though. I feel like Wayne Coyne talks to the audience, not at the audience. At Sasquatch I felt like I was a close personal friend of Wayne's. Like, he was throwing a little get together and I was one of the handful of friends he invited. It was an immensely personal show and no other frontman has ever made me feel like that before.

Where as at Pemberton, I did not get the connection. The show was great and the songs they played were fantastic, but it just felt like a show. Not an experience like Sasquatch. At Pemberton, it felt like Wayne was throwing a giant house party and everyone was invited. Wayne was just doing his best to be a good host, but he had a lot of people at the party so he couldn't really spend any meaningful time with any single person.

So, based on my Sasquatch experience, I will gladly take 14 songs in 2 hours, as oposed to 20 songs in 2 hours, if it means Wayne will be able to make that connection with the audience.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I don't have The Fear on my iTunes either, and I've got just about all of the Flaming Lips records.

Edit: from the Flaming Lips forum: According to two youtube videos, "The Fear" is just the name for what the music they play at the beginning while they make their entrance and Wayne crowd surfs in the space bubble.
    Ahhh... ok. This makes sense. I don't really even count that as a song then...
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Do they play The Gash at all anymore? I was looking back at the sets I've seen from them, and I've caught some cool stuff, like that twice, them doing Lightning Strikes the Postman, and covers of Seven Nation Army, Bohemian Rhapsody and War Pigs.
    The best cover I have seen them play is Zeppelin's "The Song Remains The Same." That rocked. The naked chicks who rushed the stage was just a bonus. The song seriously rocked.
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

I wish I felt the same way you did Josh. Sasquatch was my first official Flaming Lips show and I was excited because it was only the 2nd or 3rd time they ever did the acclaimed U.F.O. show. I think both Yoshimi and Soft Bulletin are masterpieces from start to finish and I love alot of other songs. I was hoping to see this amazing band play a ton of awesome music and to see him take literally 10-15 minutes to come out of this space ship and then roll around the crowd in a bubble got to me right off the bat. I want more music. That's not to say he needs to put the gimmicks away, I understand that's part of who they are and what they do. It's great fun in fact to be a part of a Flaming Lips party. I just think he can do better than 14 songs in two hours and he can do without changing up so many of the songs and turning half of them into sing a longs.

I know a lot of people like the show as is though. It's just not for me, I want more music.

I certainly wouldn't complain if they played more music, that is for sure! I just like the personal interaction. Well, it isn't even personal. In fact, not at all. It just feels that way. Or, at least, it did to me that night. That performance was magical, for lack of a better word, to me for many reasons, that was just one of them.

I wouldn't mind if he trimmed the fat just a bit though. I agree he probably could, just, like I said, I wouldn't want to loose that interaction.

crazy....why does the best band on the lineup have to go on so late??

openers are at 10pm EST and Keys are at midnight?? on a weekday?
    Sasquatch 10
    Bonnaroo 09
    Vegoose 07, RIP
    Mile High 09

Upcoming Shows
    6/9 - Deftones/Dillenger | 6/10 - Cake | 6/17 - Buckethead | 6/28 - Glitch Mob | 7/25 - APC | 7/30 - LA Rising (Rage, Muse, Lauryn Hill, Rise Against) | 8/12 - Cut//Copy

I found that odd too. I figured at least they would be on at the same time every night. Whatever, it's gonna be great. They were a highlight at Galsto for Joel. They were slated with the same set time as Jesus so I think a lot of people missed them there.

Quote Originally Posted by TBrown33 View Post
    For Fang Island? That'd be great!
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P8VRS1D2

I'll send you a PM as well.

It's only about 25 minutes. It starts well into their set and there is an additional 15 minutes of filler waiting for the Lips at the end of their set.

The Whigs are pretty damn good. I'm liking them quite a bit.

the quality of the stream is great. lovin' the black keys.

I feel retarded asking this... but where is the link for this? I can't find it anywhere.

spin.com. i had to create a facebook account, if you don't already have one.

*facepalm*

I have a ticket in the 6th row, dead center for Spiritualized this Friday. Incredibly excited.

jesus h christ the keys are badass!!

love that stack shot billy > busted combo!
    Sasquatch 10
    Bonnaroo 09
    Vegoose 07, RIP
    Mile High 09

Upcoming Shows

damn, almost forgot about this. hope i didnt miss too much.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

just in time for strange times, which is most excellent

So, I've seen the Flaming Lips 6 times at this point. I LOVE their recorded work: Clouds Taste Metallic, In A Priest Driven Ambulance, Embryonic, The Soft Bulletin, Yoshimi and Transmissions From the Satellite Heart are all perfect albums in my mind. While I'd love to see them do a set that really flows, the ATP set they did last year was close enough to what I'd want from them that I was satisfied: Wayne didn't really rant or exhort the audience to participate, since they were there for him. Instead, the band Performed, and it was great.

that was a great black keys set. made SP and FLips look like a bunch of bitches.
    Sasquatch 10
    Bonnaroo 09
    Vegoose 07, RIP
    Mile High 09

Upcoming Shows

encore. better be gettin this mark!
    Sasquatch 10
    Bonnaroo 09
    Vegoose 07, RIP
    Mile High 09

Upcoming Shows

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

don't forget the cow song. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by sin213 View Post
    encore. better be gettin this mark!
    Got it and it looks and sounds great.

sweet! that was a great show. wish i was there for that one.
    Sasquatch 10
    Bonnaroo 09
    Vegoose 07, RIP
    Mile High 09

Upcoming Shows

Randy was, that fucker.

I bet he stood at the back and went out of his way to make sure it looked like he wasn't having any fun at all.

The Black Keys set is now up on Demonoid.