Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comic-Con 2010

Default Comic-Con 2010

Who's going? This will be my first year attending. Do any previous attendees here have any tips, or favorite places to eat around the area? We'll be there Wed-Sun.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

Default Re: Comic-Con 2010

I'm going Thursday. Bring cash, a camera, and comfortable shoes.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

have fun. you'll be amazed by how many people will be in attendance. but don't worry, it won't turn into a clusterfuck (hasn't yet anyways). try to get to the panels you're dying to see a little earlier so that you'll get a good spot in the line to the room.

I could get a Pro Pass, but I've never been. Maybe next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    you shut your whorish mouth when talking about the sea king.

you are lucky there is no twilight panel this year to fuck up hall h.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bleep View Post
    have fun. you'll be amazed by how many people will be in attendance. but don't worry, it won't turn into a clusterfuck (hasn't yet anyways). try to get to the panels you're dying to see a little earlier so that you'll get a good spot in the line to the room.
    As someone who used to be an avid attendee as a fan, a pro, and even for a couple of years as an exhibitor, I would go as far as to say that the whole thing has become a clusterfuck. So much so that I pretty much gave up going altogether and replaced it with Coachella the last couple years. Comic Con '06 marked the first and only time I have ever had an anxiety attack and that shit sucked balls.

BUT for the uninitiated, it's going to be a totally new experience and the #1 thing I can say is that it's probably going to be insanely overwhelming. the exhibit hall is HUGE to say the very least, and is a couple fucking sensory overload. the amount of people is absolutely staggering as well.

The best advice I have is to be patient and don't let things bum you out. Panels can get very crowded and fill up very fast, so don't try to get so super excited about seeing stuff that you get pissed off that you didn't get in. there are SO many things to do almost 24 hours a day that it's best to just enjoy what you have.

Definitely bring very comfortable shoes and water and be prepared to do a shitload of walking and standing in line. Avoid buying food inside of the convention center. Nobody really cares if you bring food in your backpack so feel to free to take in snacks. There's a Ralphs walking distance from the convention center as well as tons of restaurants.

It's fairly easy to eat anywhere you want during the day because people's schedules are all over the place, but almost every bar and restaurant in town become super crowded every night.

I am happy to answer all sorts of specific questions here. The potential to have a fucking blast all weekend is extremely high, as is the potential to spend truckloads of money.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by tessalasset View Post
    you are lucky there is no twilight panel this year to fuck up hall h.
    that was bullshit last year.

Hall H is where all the big time movie panels are. The line may look huge to get into it but don't worry you will most likely get in and once you are in you can stay in there all day. Its a must to walk the floor and check out the booths and check out one of the smaller panels upstairs. I would also recommend the late night programming like spike and mikes twisted festival of animation. The great thing about this is its a gauntlet so people can boo bad ones off. Half the fun is just the crowd's reaction.
    Last edited by summerkid; 07-06-2010 at 02:25 PM.
    The White Stripes 9/18

how much is the cost of admission ?

Quote Originally Posted by summerkid View Post
    that was bullshit last year.

Hall H is where all the big time movie panels are. The line may look huge to get into it but don't worry you will most likely get in and once you are in you can stay in there all day. Its a must to walk the floor and check out the booths and check out one of the smaller panels upstairs. I would also recommend the late night programming like spike and mikes twisted festival of animation. The great thing about this is its a gauntlet so people can boo bad ones off. Half the fun is just the crowd's reaction.
    Spike & Mike's at Comic Con is a fucking blast because you're seeing it with way more people than you would on any of the tour stops, the audience being encouraged to go fucking bananas, and the fact that you're seeing world premieres of pretty much everything.

I do sound for the Dr. Tran shorts, so seeing S&M was always a big priority.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I'll be there on Thursday & Saturday.
    "Well, that's just like, you know... your opinion, man"

Not going, too many goddamn people the last time I went (2008). Bad karma zone.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

i cant believe ive lived here for 15 years and never been to a comic-con yet. are tickets still available? which day is star wars day?
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

Coachella Junkie

Sadly, they're all Star Wars day.

good place to pickup virgins

Quote Originally Posted by 4Ransom View Post
    i cant believe ive lived here for 15 years and never been to a comic-con yet. are tickets still available? which day is star wars day?
    all sold out. It sells out extremely fast nowadays. I believe Saturday is Star Wars day but I might be mistaken I get confused since they expanded it a few years ago.

edit: star wars day is friday.
    Last edited by summerkid; 07-06-2010 at 09:37 PM.
    The White Stripes 9/18

thinking about getting a ticket from my work... I mean but wtf do you do all day?

12.01 Dan Deacon @ The Echoplex
    12.03 Benoit & Sergio @ TBA
    12.09 Avery Tare @ The Center for the Arts Eagle Rock
    12.17 Baths/DNTEL @ The El Rey
    04.13-15 COACHELLA @ The Polo Fields

Coachella Junkie

Avoid the awkward attention of flustered homebodies.

well it depends. You can watch panels for movies in which they bring the stars/directors out for a q and a with the audience and show you exclusive clips. You can go to panels for tv shows or comics or legendary authors like Ray Bradbury (who is there every year). Or you can walk the floor and look at what the vendors have set up. Its a pretty amazing place to people watch as well seeing all those people in ridiculous costumes take over downtown san diego. Also the late night programming usually involves movie screenings or the aforementioned animation festival.
    The White Stripes 9/18

If you're bored at comic-con you're definitely doing it wrong.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Spike & Mike's at Comic Con is a fucking blast because you're seeing it with way more people than you would on any of the tour stops, the audience being encouraged to go fucking bananas, and the fact that you're seeing world premieres of pretty much everything.
    is the crowd wasted? i have fond memories of seeing spike and mike in the mid 90's at our local dive theater at midnight and everyone was blitzed.

"NO...NECK...JOE!"

sucks i'm missing it this year >_<

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    is the crowd wasted? i have fond memories of seeing spike and mike in the mid 90's at our local dive theater at midnight and everyone was blitzed.

"NO...NECK...JOE!"
    There are not drinks served in the theater, but it's at 9 or 10 after everybody has left the con and been to the bars, so yeah most of the crowd is wasted. It's complete chaos.
    last.fm

There are a couple of exclusives that I'm interested in getting. How early do you have to get there in the morning to have even a chance of getting exclusives? One hour before doors? Two hours?

i always imagine a wall cracking, maybe from an earthquake, and beams of sunshine shooting into the conference hall and melting Comic-Con nerds like vampires
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

old school

If you need a ticket subscribe to the Con's twitter account. Last year they released tickets on ebay. Not tangible tickets but will call. You have to have a quick connection & it helps if you have multiple people on multiple computers the moment they hit ebay. They sell in less than a minute usually. I think they did 3 different ebay offers last year. Note that these will call passes are not transferable to other parties so tuff shit scalplers.

<--1st timer

pretty much going just for Thursday (TRON-DAY) with the hopes of Daft Punk.

Leaving from Tahoe / Bay area.....if anyone needs a ride PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZachTheEskimo View Post
    You're Dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by GnarVee View Post
    pretty much going just for Thursday (TRON-DAY) with the hopes of Daft Punk.
    Dude Daft Punk is not playing Comic-Con.

And if they do, then fuck you.
    Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    you shut your whorish mouth when talking about the sea king.

Cool Re: Comic-Con 2010

daft punk is not playing at comic con. daft punk is playing at my house, my house

Quote Originally Posted by DANCE MAGIC View Post
    Dude Daft Punk is not playing Comic-Con.

And if they do, then fuck you.
    Stitch informs us that Amazon is now accepting preorders for the Tron: Legacy soundtrack, which is being scored by electronic music pioneers Daft Punk. The album now has a release date: November 23rd 2010, about a month before the film hits theaters on December 17th 2010. No further information is available at this time.
    As San Diego Comic-Con International nears, speculation begins around what we might see at the event. Many people would probably agree that Tron holds the biggest most shocking moment in Comic-Con history, when Disney surprised an audience in Hall H two years ago with a fully rendered CG test/teaser for the film. Last year they arguably had the best marketing at the Con with a real-life Flynn’s Arcade and life-size Lightcycle. Disney has already announced that this year Tron: Legacy will invade Comic-Con in full force, even to go as far as renaming the convention Comic-TRON in press releases. What can we expect from Tron at this year’s Con? Nobody knows… But I can tell you one thing…

There has been a lot of speculation that Daft Punk might have a surprise show at the Con, where they could unveil some tracks from the upcoming sequel. Variety even claimed that Disney’s Comic-Con presence would include “a performance by Daft Punk”. I’ve even heard people talking about a giant concert in Petco Park, right next store to the convention center.
    While I don’t know anything about what might actually happen involving Tron at Comic-Con, I can tell you this: My music industry sources have told me not to expect a live musical performance from Daft Punk. We may hear some of their music in a new trailer or new footage which will likely premiere at a scheduled panel, but as of right now, Daft Punk is not set to be in San Diego for the event.

Read more: Daft Punk’s Tron Legacy Soundtrack to be Released November 23, Will Not Perform at Comic-Con | /Film http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/07/06/...#ixzz0t3SKdVT0
    http://soundcloud.com/laflur

Monthly Promotional Mix Series now available

Quote Originally Posted by fiyahhh! View Post
    There are a couple of exclusives that I'm interested in getting. How early do you have to get there in the morning to have even a chance of getting exclusives? One hour before doors? Two hours?
    Uh, it's totally all over the place and depends on what you're going after. A lot of exclusive releases are staggered, which means they are available on different days of the con and often at certain times as well (example: 2PM on SATURDAY at the blah-blah booth).

Then audience for an exclusive and HOW limited something is has a big impact. A Star Wars exclusive figure for instance may have a LIMITED EDITION of 10,000 units at the show. And while there are indeed a shitload of SW fans there, that could very well take a day or the whole weekend to sell out, depending on what exactly the exclusive is.

Super rare vinyl toys on the other hand, which already have small production numbers will have a con exclusive with only 100 pieces. These are almost always released at precise times during the day though.

With the sheer number of exclusives now (we're talking in the hundreds) it's very hard to say. Some with sell in the first hour of the con and some will end up on company websites the following week because they didn't sell out at all.

The best bet is to find out the selling policy of whatever ever company manufacturer is outting out the item of interest, and hang out on some fan froums for whatever the item is and gauge interest.

I will say that the lines simply to get in are VERY long and getting there and hour or before doors is advisable unless you don't mind waiting until noon or so to get in.

The last 4 or 5 times I went it was as a pro and we didn't have to stand in line so I don't have a ton a recent personal experience with what that's like.
    last.fm