Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Country Music

Default Re: Country Music

Quote Originally Posted by donkey sex View Post
    2. We'll Sweep Out the Ashes in the Morning
    The greatness of this song cannot be overstated.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

So I figure those of you that actually read this thread might appreciate this.

My band recorded an EP this summer that we are releasing on Nov. 2.

This is a song from it:
    MP3: The Dive Poets - Austin
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

I am looking forward to hearing the entire EP Jeff.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Thanks - I will certainly be putting a link to it in here.
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

Ryan Adams covering one of Hank Williams best songs.

Cross Canadian Ragweed's final show is tonight.

It will be streaming here starting at 8pm CDT: http://knbt.fm/

Quote Originally Posted by tessalasset View Post
    So I just saw Breathe Owl Breathe tonight and they were pretty awful. Actually, they were probably right between bad and okay. This is literally their best song, and they couldn't even play it because the speakers were fucking up their sample. For some reason the sound was HORRIBLE at the Bootleg tonight, with the entire house left stack of speakers going in and out throughout the night, and then the house right speakers picking up crazy feedback or interference during their whole set. It was so shitty. And this band is just booooooring. The singer reminded me of Yoni Wolf trying to do an impression of Zack Galifianakis, and totally failing at it. He'd spend like five minutes before each song talking it up, explaining to us literally what the song is about but in a wannabe off-beat joking way, and then would go into the song which would inevitably be boring. This song above does not represent them at all. It was a lot more weird crowing and quiet and flailing around. The band right before them, Little Wings, had way more people in the audience, most of whom stuck around for one or two songs of BOB and then took off. I dunno, it was just a weird vibe and I left after about 2 minutes into him setting up his final song. Do not go see these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

I'm on pins and needles waiting to hear if I'm getting into Mumford later tonight, so I'm posting one of my favorites:

Quote Originally Posted by Stickjohn View Post
    I'm on pins and needles waiting to hear if I'm getting into Mumford later tonight, so I'm posting one of my favorites:

I'm about to cry watching this.

So, there's this weird epidemic going on where Brits and Aussies hate Mumford & Sons. I've seen so many people on facebook ragging on them lately. Something about "awful cunts" and "fucking vile." Pretty sure Americans are super into em.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinecraft View Post
    sometimes i feel like i don't have a partner

Quote Originally Posted by daxton View Post
    So, there's this weird epidemic going on where Brits and Aussies hate Mumford & Sons. I've seen so many people on facebook ragging on them lately. Something about "awful cunts" and "fucking vile." Pretty sure Americans are super into em.
    probably hater backlash over how huge 'little lion man' got. it was #1 in the triple J poll last year by a pretty absurd margin.
    Quote Originally Posted by JebusLives View Post
    No, I don't think you understand just how much everyone wanted to leave, immediately. Imagine yourself at Stagecoach right now, and then imagine wanting to leave 10 times as badly.

could be. fast popularity can be annoying sometimes.

I have a video on my phone of Rhett Miller of the Old 97s telling me to get better. I was supposed to see them last weekend at a city festival, but my allergies were kicking my ass. A friend was DJing the VIP area and sent me the video. This seemed like the appropriate place to post about it.
    My name is Becca. Hi.

Facebook, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If it was supposed to be a joke, there'd be a cat in the picture somewhere. That's how you can tell, on the internet.

Aww that's awesome!

I saw this dude open up for Breathe Owl Breathe on Thursday and he had way more of a crowd. Called Little Wings. I had never heard of him/them before but I was talking to some dude during intermission who said they'd been around for about 10 years. I was surprised I hadn't even heard the name before. I was a little bored by his set (it was extremely mellow... needed a better setting for me) but he was WAY better than BOB in hindsight. Ultimately he just made me miss Bon Iver. Someone just posted this song on FB today tho so it was funny to see he's quite established.

*edit - also just read Little Wings was formed in San Luis Obispo. I wonder if he played shows while I went to school there. Too bad I was into the crappy pop punk scene at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by daftmau5 View Post
    probably hater backlash over how huge 'little lion man' got. it was #1 in the triple J poll last year by a pretty absurd margin.
    I'm not sure I can articulate why, but it feels to me kind of like the Kings of Leon thing in reverse.

Speaking only for myself, there's something about those guys that just a shade too calculated for me to warm to them, and it doesn't help that they've been absolutely inescapable this year.

Same with Florence & the Machine. Not sure why. Perhaps it's just MY British friends who feel this way.

EDIT* But yeah, Mumford & Sons are kinda meh. That one song they do is nice though.
    Last edited by Gribbz; 10-31-2010 at 06:26 PM.

NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

I think with Florence, it's purely a matter of oversaturation. Aside from playing just about every festival ever conceived by mortal mind, she seems to have some kind of residency in NME's offices, and she's doing an interview on some channel somewhere at any given moment.

Mainly though, her songs just lend themselves really well to both radio and commercial use so they've been worn out. It's eased off a bit now, but it wasn't uncommon to hear three of her songs on three ads in succession, and then whatever show you were watching would probably have a bit of You've Got The Love in it somewhere near the end anyway.

Makes sense. I'm sure the feeling would be mutual if she got that much exposure in the States.

I can imagine Mumford & Sons actually being a ton of fun in a small venue, but something weird has happened and the hype has put them on far bigger stages than they're able to comfortably command.

I honestly think that making yourself a little too available to NME can mean the early death of a very promising career. I don't know how many British - or rather, English - acts have been the toast of that magazine's pages only to collapse under the inevitable backlash when folks start to resent being forcefed The Next Big Thing for a few too many weeks.

M&S played a small venue here a few months ago (350 cap.) and it was sold out forever. I had never heard of them until I had friends asking me if I could hook them up with tickets.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

To be fair, this sounds very cool with the singalong and all:

- but I strongly suspect that if that song hadn't been heavily featured in a BBC ad campaign shortly beforehand, without the crowd doing all the work, it would have fallen a lot more flatly. That song aside, their performance just seemed totally lost in such a huge space, at least from where I was sitting in Dublin.

They were pretty forgettable when I saw them at Sasquatch.

Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    I'm not sure I can articulate why, but it feels to me kind of like the Kings of Leon thing in reverse.

Speaking only for myself, there's something about those guys that just a shade too calculated for me to warm to them, and it doesn't help that they've been absolutely inescapable this year.
    Articulated very well. I figured as much. I can see how they can appear a bit contrived.

Ryan Adams.

Go on.

Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    I think with Florence, it's purely a matter of oversaturation. Aside from playing just about every festival ever conceived by mortal mind, she seems to have some kind of residency in NME's offices, and she's doing an interview on some channel somewhere at any given moment.

Mainly though, her songs just lend themselves really well to both radio and commercial use so they've been worn out. It's eased off a bit now, but it wasn't uncommon to hear three of her songs on three ads in succession, and then whatever show you were watching would probably have a bit of You've Got The Love in it somewhere near the end anyway.
    Wasn't she also on the shortlist a couple years ago? I mean that's basically telling the UK "This artist is going to be the next big thing. You must listen to her now." They didn't even get a choice.

However I loved her album. It was my favorite of 2009. I think it's very deserving and I'm happy for all her success.

Word. I'm already starting to really enjoy her songs again now that the full frontal assault has backed off. She's got an abundance of charisma and an astonishing set of pipes, and like you say, she deserves her success. I'd rather have a dozen more like her than another Lady Gaga.

I'm curious how Mumford hooked up with producer Markus Dravs (Eno, Bjork, Cold Play, and Arcade Fire's last two.) They've had some strong support from the very beginning.

There's a good in-studio session here recorded at The Current, which has been playing Mumford since seeing them at SXSW in 09. The audio has 3 songs and a good interview, including a question about getting so big so fast.

Arcade Fire are managed by Bjork's manager, which is how they ended up working with him. Win recommended him to Chris Martin, which is how that happened. I suspect he ended up with Mumford via The Maccabees somehow, as far as I know the two outfits are friendly. I dunno how the Maccabees managed it, although they are or were a bit better established than Mumford at the time, and the Arcade Fire influence is quite pronounced in their case.
    Last edited by MissingPerson; 11-01-2010 at 09:12 AM.