Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Country Music

Coachella Junkie

Default Re: Country Music

Transferred from the Upcoming Shows thread:

Just got back from Royce Hall. Saw the Preservation Hall Jazz Band playing with the Del McCoury Band. It was so fucking good. Way better than I expected. 2 trombones, trumpet, clarinet, saxophone, 2 tubas, drums, piano, fiddle, mandolin, acoustic guitar, banjo, and stand up bass. The sound was ridiculous. All the instruments fit together perfectly and it just sounded like the most awesome dixieland jazz you could ever think of. Everyone was grooving in their seats and eventually people got up to dance. Del was a fantastic singer. He said last time he was at Royce was singing with Bill Monroe in 1963. At the end, they all played When the Saints Go Marching In, and halfway through, the jazz band walked down into the audience and everyone started following them up the aisles while the bluegrass band stayed on stage to keep the song going. There was an old man rocking an umbrella in Nola colors, old ladies in evening gowns, hipsters, moms and dads, college kids... it was such a great mix of demographics. They brought about 100 people on stage to close out the night with them while everyone else was up clapping along in their seats with all the house lights on. Everyone in the room was beaming from ear to ear. It was one of the most fun shows I've been to in a while. Now to search for that album the two groups put out last year...

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Something to look forward to!

After a stretch of 11 years since their last studio recording, The Jayhawks have come together for the new album, Mockingbird Time. The album contains 12 tracks and will be released on September 20 on Rounder Records. The album will include all former bands members with songs written by band leaders Mark Olson and Gary Louris. Louris will also also serve as the albumís producer.

you know why Olson's back in the band, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

also yesterday I listened to Son Volt's Trace yesterday for the first time in probably several years. Man it sounded good. what a great album. I'd totally forgotten they do that cover of "Mystifies Me" at the end. It's so great when music you think you know surprises you again. ya know?
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

PAGING HANNAH:

There was a really nice long interview with Gillian Welch and David Rawlings last night on Fresh Air. They play a lot of music live during the show.
    http://www.npr.org/templates/rundown...ate=07-18-2011

Apologies to Tom for posting something related to Terry Gross in his thread.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

austin city limits replayed a set of steve earle covering townes van zandt songs. if you're not a fan of either give it a listen. here's the full set.
    Last edited by buddy; 07-24-2011 at 09:58 PM.

I just watched this at work. Really good.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I'm still waiting for Jack White to finally admit that he invented the guitar.

this might be interesting. a collection of artists putting music to unreleased Hank Williams' lyrics, sort of how Wilco & Billy Bragg did with the Mermaid Avenue albums.

Yeah. that could be good or it could suck.

One of the things that made Mermaid Avenue work so well is the melodies were not like anything Woody himself would have ever written. Guthrie's melodies were usually pretty primative, and Bragg's and Tweedy's are definitely not. And they just worked -- they added depth and dimension to the lyrics.

If these guys are writting melodies to try to sound like Hank, the results will be quite different, I think. But the temptation would have to be there -- Hank's style was quite distinctive and riveting.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Just did security for Trace Adkins last week at an outdoor venue. I'm taking my security shirt and pass to sneak in for Willie Nelson and Trampled by Turtles on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

that looks pretty

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    that looks pretty
    It's an amazing spot for a sunset act. Right on the tip of Lake Superior.

I think Paul Tollett should move lake superior to the polo grounds for coachella. We could all go for a refreshing dip in the cool waters between sets.

i love this song, so damn much

also, don't know if it's been mentioned before, but Mickey Newbury is quality stuff. It Looks Like Rain/Frisco Mable John/Heaven Help the Child is amazing. do yourself a favor and give them a listen.

Be careful what you wish for friend
    Because I've been to hell and now I'm back again

I'm seeing Glen Campbell at Club Nokia next month on his fairwell tour.

And at the end of October I'm seeing Felice Brothers with Gil Landry from OCMS at the Satellite with my dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Right on the tip of Lake Superior.
    that's what she said? he said?
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

Be careful what you wish for friend
    Because I've been to hell and now I'm back again
    my favorite part

Just saw Glen Campbell tonight. It was kind of sad but super touching. His daughter and two of his sons are in his band and you could tell he was just over the moon to play those songs with them. He sounded pretty good for 75, but you can tell how quickly he's succumbing to his illness. He had three screens at the front of the stage with the lyrics playing on them, and was constantly looking down reading them while playing. Even during Rhinestone Cowboy. At one point he walked away from a screen to sing with his son and he messed up the lyric and looked pretty embarrassed as his son had to remind him. But I'm really glad I got to see him before he dies. There was a kid in front of us, about 12 years old, with his mom, and he looked soooo bored. I wanted to tell him "I know you're bored right now, but trust me, in twenty years, you'll be so grateful your mom brought you to this." There was a good mix of young and old in the audience. Even tho he was obviously having trouble with lyrics, at certain points when he was just playing guitar, he got a look on his face and you could tell he was just in the zone. He'll remember how to play long after he forgets all the words. Oh and they had about four or five cameras on tripods in the place, so pretty sure they're gonna release a live DVD of that show.

Fiona sings Jolene and it is awesome. From the Largo show last month.

This is all kinds of awesome. Toby Keith should be invited to cross over from Stagecoach in order to play this song and this song only at Coachella.

Also, did someone forget to tell Roger Clemens that he's still facing a federal perjury trial?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by tessalasset View Post
    Just saw Glen Campbell tonight. It was kind of sad but super touching. His daughter and two of his sons are in his band and you could tell he was just over the moon to play those songs with them. He sounded pretty good for 75, but you can tell how quickly he's succumbing to his illness. He had three screens at the front of the stage with the lyrics playing on them, and was constantly looking down reading them while playing. Even during Rhinestone Cowboy. At one point he walked away from a screen to sing with his son and he messed up the lyric and looked pretty embarrassed as his son had to remind him. But I'm really glad I got to see him before he dies. There was a kid in front of us, about 12 years old, with his mom, and he looked soooo bored. I wanted to tell him "I know you're bored right now, but trust me, in twenty years, you'll be so grateful your mom brought you to this." There was a good mix of young and old in the audience. Even tho he was obviously having trouble with lyrics, at certain points when he was just playing guitar, he got a look on his face and you could tell he was just in the zone. He'll remember how to play long after he forgets all the words. Oh and they had about four or five cameras on tripods in the place, so pretty sure they're gonna release a live DVD of that show.

Anybody who has heard or read about Glen Campbell has to be in awe of his career. I first discovered him learning to play the Beach Boys 'Pet Sounds' album and that led me to find out more. Not only did he play on numerous pieces with Phil Spector, but everyone else from Leonard Cohen, Nancy Sinatra, Simon and Garfunkel etc etc. Toured with the Beach Boys and still manages to rack up a successful solo career and TV and movies.

Agreed. I acquired Wichita Lineman in a large LP lot a few years back and gave it a play-test in order to sell it. Shit was awesome. I'm bummed I got into Campbell so late.

He was funny too. I remember watching his first TV show with my parents, and it was basically a comedy.

Rolling Stone did a really good interview with Glen and his family a few issues. Not so much sad as it was warm, touching, and extremely funny.

Quote Originally Posted by tigermilkboy View Post
    Anybody who has heard or read about Glen Campbell has to be in awe of his career. I first discovered him learning to play the Beach Boys 'Pet Sounds' album and that led me to find out more. Not only did he play on numerous pieces with Phil Spector, but everyone else from Leonard Cohen, Nancy Sinatra, Simon and Garfunkel etc etc. Toured with the Beach Boys and still manages to rack up a successful solo career and TV and movies.
    As good as "Gentle on My Mind" was, there was a lot of dreck too. Rhinestone Cowboy being about the worst of it.

Yeah he was cracking jokes all night.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    this might be interesting. a collection of artists putting music to unreleased Hank Williams' lyrics, sort of how Wilco & Billy Bragg did with the Mermaid Avenue albums.
    Holy shit Bob sounds good here.

Heard the Jack White song on the radio while painting today and it was driving me crazy trying to figure out who or what it was. Can stream it here. Gotta go get this one.

love the dylan song. i've being wanting to get the album.

also, unrelated but i've been meaning to upload this song for a bit.