Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Country Music

Default Re: Country Music

I feel like such a one-note talking about Gillian Welch in here all the time, but it looks like her first album since 2003 is going to be out in April and I'm really fucking excited.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wstsidela View Post
    Just saw Willie Nelson tonight

I remember seein willy nelson in 07 @ coachella and smokin a fat Dutch. That was epically followed by Manu chao and ratm. A day I won't forget

Tom, re: Willie, I will likely get to see him at Jazzfest this year. Woo.

jeffp1717, if that isn't country, I don't know where else on this board you would put that youtube. Country these days is pretty broad. Tom would say that's a string band (which is country). I'm diggin' that Railroad Earth, though. Never heard of them before.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinecraft View Post
    sometimes i feel like i don't have a partner

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    I feel like such a one-note talking about Gillian Welch in here all the time, but it looks like her first album since 2003 is going to be out in April and I'm really fucking excited.
    that's great news. i'm looking forward to it, too.

Check out Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit, good stuff!
    It's all good, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickjohn View Post
    I found this when I was trying figure out who or what Entrance is - getting bluesy w/Cat Power.

Junior Kimbrough is great, as is anybody that covers his music!
    It's all good, man.

I just stumbled on this thread. I didnt read through
    all the pages but love TONS of the guys mentioned so far.

I'm a huge fan of

Uncle Tupelo
    Son Volt
    The Jayhawks
    Old Crow
    Avett Brothers
    Gillian Welch
    Old 97's
    Ryan Adams
    Whiskeytown

i was really big into the whole Alt Country stuff right when Whiskeytown was ending.

Can't wait for the new Gillian Welch Cd. Its been way too long. Her song "throw me a rope" is the best thing i've ever heard, ever. I've heard her do it live about 5 or 6 times now and almost brings me to tears each time.

Someone I dont think has been mentioned yet - is Richard Buckner. His first CD called "Bloomed" is brilliant !!!!! There was an old website that would rank all the votes of best cds ever and it always came in very high each year. With Trace by Son Volt taking the top spot each year.

Quote Originally Posted by daxton View Post
    jeffp1717, if that isn't country, I don't know where else on this board you would put that youtube. Country these days is pretty broad. Tom would say that's a string band (which is country). I'm diggin' that Railroad Earth, though. Never heard of them before.
    They're really great live too. They basically constantly tour so if they're ever around, give them a shot. They're really interesting because they use the traditional instrumentation and really try to stretch themselves out over the course of a show, covering many styles throughout. They also really give you your money's worth; the gigs are always split into two, one-hour + sets and an encore. Here are a couple more of my favorites:

I saw Railroad Earth at All Good and at a local smaller venue. Totally give you your money's worth. One of the best "string bands" touring.
    It's all good, man.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    late to the party on the jayhawks, but i listened to the reissues of Hollywood Town Hall and Tomorrow The Green Grass recently, and i'm officially a fan. i'm partial to Tomorrow The Green Grass myself, but they're both excellent. the first two tracks on that album get me everytime.
    Tomorrow the Green Grass is probably on my personal Top 100 Albums Ever by Anyone list.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    oh man, this is the first I've heard of this. COACHELLA ADD GILLIAN WELCH PLEASE.

So I just found out that there's this tour going 'round in June called Willie Nelson's Country Throwdown:
    Willie Nelson
    Randy Houser
    Jamey Johnson
    Lee Brice
    Craig Campbell
    Lukas Nelson

are all the guys playing. Needless to say I want to make it to see Jamey Johnson, but you guys know any of the others playing?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

for TomAz

The Jayhawks performed "She Walks in So Many Ways" live on Midmorning with Kerri Miller Monday, Jan. 31, 2011. It's a new song the band is including on its upcoming album, which will be released in June.
    http://minnesota.publicradio.org/dis...ayhawks-video/

(sorry I don't know how to embed this kind of video)
    Last edited by Stickjohn; 01-31-2011 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    So I just found out that there's this tour going 'round in June called Willie Nelson's Country Throwdown:
    Willie Nelson
    Randy Houser
    Jamey Johnson
    Lee Brice
    Craig Campbell
    Lukas Nelson

are all the guys playing. Needless to say I want to make it to see Jamey Johnson, but you guys know any of the others playing?
    I think I have heard of that Willie Nelson cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    you shut your whorish mouth when talking about the sea king.

Holy shit - Bob Dylan & Mumford & Avett Bros @ the Grammy's !?!

The other legend slated to perform is 10-time Grammy winner and Recording Academy Lifetime Achievement Award recipient Bob Dylan, who will collaborate with Best New Artist nominees Mumford & Sons along with folk rockers the Avett Brothers in what's been described as a "salute to acoustic music."
    and Dr Dre, whoever that is.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/165...y-awards.jhtml

Holy crap. Looks like I'll be watching the Grammys after all. So happy for Avett Brothers! What an honor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Quote Originally Posted by tessalasset View Post

a couple of weeks ago i saw Wille Nelson and Norah Jones live on HDNet... great concert...

Quote Originally Posted by Stickjohn View Post
    Holy shit - Bob Dylan & Mumford & Avett Bros @ the Grammy's !?!

and Dr Dre, whoever that is.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/165...y-awards.jhtml
    Cool. I would definitely like to check out Dylan and Dre. And, I guess I'll watch the others too.

It sounds like Dylan is performing with them.

I'm crazy excited about this. I'm a huge Dylan fan.

Oh really? Interesting. I wish I could have seen Dylan back in the day. I've heard less than satisfactory reviews from his more recent shows. Obviously, Bob Dylan is amazing. But, if he's not playing his older work and has changed his style drastically, I don't know if I'm down.

I am also a huge Dylan fan. I've seen him 4 times, but I don't know if I'd pay money to see him again. He's very hit or miss and his voice has gotten so bad it's hardly recognizable.

if he's not playing his older work and has changed his style drastically, I don't know if I'm down.
    haha.... this is has been the same throughout all of his carrer
    always changing.. fckn people expectations up.... being awesome....

or in other words, daxton, what Mr. BHNow is saying, is that you may not be cool enough to appreciate Dylan's stuff these days. That you (and I, for that matter) are like the nerdy folk kids booing him at Newport in 1965.

Got it. Well, shit. I was born in the complete wrong era.

I like all his records… not much the 80s stuff tho…. Not a big fan….

Just saying its interesting how he stills provokes those ‘why don’t you do your early stuff” on us still on these days….

kind of pisses me off how he didn't even play much guitar on his shows... mostly piano/organ

I mentioned this album awhile back, I thought i'd share this in group for those interested. Townes was a great songwriter on par, or at least close to, Hank Williams Sr., in my opinion. I think it's a great introduction for possible fans, and it's just a great album live or otherwise. He recorded it in a bar/music venue, yet the audience is completely captivated throughout the entire show as they are silenced as he performs, and subsequently show their appreciation after every song. Van Zandt lightens the mood at times with some jokes between songs, which help to break the serious mood which many of his songs may bring. It's a double album and it just flows by, at least it did to me.

Maybe in the future some more people can add some more relatively unknown/lesser known country albums.
    Last edited by buddy; 02-12-2011 at 11:26 PM.

I mentioned to my friend who really got me into Bob Dylan how depressing his performance was last night at The Grammy's. I've posted his response below. Thought some of you may find it interesting.

He's made a career out of confounding his fans. He wrote a few protest songs that made him famous, then he stopped writing protest songs and pissed everyone off. He used an electric guitar and had a backing band, pissed them off again. While everyone was on acid, he went country. Then everyone went country, and he stayed quiet. Later, he got saved and made a few Christian albums, really pissed them off. Just about every album he made in the 80's got slammed by critics. In the 90's he made two completely acoustic albums, (perfect, in my opinion), got slammed again. (I gave you one of those.) Then in 2006 he had a #1 album, Love and Theft.

Every ten years or so he will put out an album and hit everyone between the eyes, and then he will go back to confounding them.

He's a Gemini, and I think to him sounding like he did a year ago is death. Always changing.

I've seen him perform maybe twenty times since 1986 or so, and he almost never sounded like himself. Then out of the blue he'll do an obscure song and presto! There he is.

That's why I am always trying to turn my friends on to him- there's so much to take in. Funny enough, I almost always understand what he's up to.

A friend just sent me the link to this song. I like this band so much. I need to get an entire album of theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    Maybe in the future some more people can add some more relatively unknown/lesser known country albums.
    this!

i'll try to look up that album of TVZ, thanks for sharing

I mentioned to my friend who really got me into Bob Dylan how depressing his performance was last night at The Grammy's. I've posted his response below. Thought some of you may find it interesting.

He's made a career out of confounding his fans. He wrote a few protest songs that made him famous, then he stopped writing protest songs and pissed everyone off. He used an electric guitar and had a backing band, pissed them off again. While everyone was on acid, he went country. Then everyone went country, and he stayed quiet. Later, he got saved and made a few Christian albums, really pissed them off. Just about every album he made in the 80's got slammed by critics. In the 90's he made two completely acoustic albums, (perfect, in my opinion), got slammed again. (I gave you one of those.) Then in 2006 he had a #1 album, Love and Theft.

Every ten years or so he will put out an album and hit everyone between the eyes, and then he will go back to confounding them.

He's a Gemini, and I think to him sounding like he did a year ago is death. Always changing.

I've seen him perform maybe twenty times since 1986 or so, and he almost never sounded like himself. Then out of the blue he'll do an obscure song and presto! There he is.

That's why I am always trying to turn my friends on to him- there's so much to take in. Funny enough, I almost always understand what he's up to.

i've been lucky i had seen him live about 5 times and i must say i agree with most of his opinion....

fair enough there are albums that i have liked instantly and others i've never really liked...
    but some others like the Bootleg Series #5, live 1975, which i didn't really like it until recently... thanks to a scene part of that movie Dazed and Confused in which everyone's having a good time while listening to 'Hurricane' at the bar... changed my prespective of the whole album

there might be albums your might not be into right now like the must recent ones but something my trigger the 'like' button in the future perhaps? ha! at least that's how is been for me