Page 174 of 180 FirstFirst ... 169170171172173174175176177178179 ... LastLast
Results 5,191 to 5,220 of 5391

Thread: Fuck the Republican Party.

Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

You don't understand separation of church and state. At all.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I lived through the whole Prop 8 hate machine fueled by so much homophobic propaganda (at least one commercial every hour on prime time TV for months). This propaganda was funded (mainly) by Mormons residing in another state and portrayed gays in the worst possible light you could imagine (unworthy even of their own family's love). But you're right, I could call them 'stupid,' which they are, until I'm blue in the face. If anything, that ridicule somehow empowers them (kinda like the Westboro Baptist freaks). I'm just thankful they will be on the wrong side of history.
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip
    You bitchez will all CUM-ba-ya when y'all see my pee-shooter.
    Follow kvn†y on instagram :: "Lorde is my shepherd. I shall not want."

Explain to me how "polygamous bigotous hypocritical breeder" is any different from "disgusting f*gg*t sicko". You think you're right, they think they're right, neither is constructive speech or going to get anything accomplished.

When you're in the right (which you are), logic is your friend. That's the better pathway.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

guess what? I didn't start attacking them (i.e., fighting back) until they started attacking me. how about I just roll over and take it next time, Tom.

No, my point is, you are going to win more friends -- or at least votes -- if you don't stoop to that level.

I'm on your side on this. I want same sex marriage to be universally recognized and accepted throughout the US. I don't like the Utah decision either. And I understand your anger. I am just pointing out it's easy to fall into the same trap you accuse your opponents of. If you turn this into a tribal battle, you'll lose. If you keep it a rational discussion, your odds are much better.

agree. what's the saying?

success is the ultimate revenge.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Tom is right. The way you are speaking is exactly why the conservatives are able to cry discrimination right back at the Left. It's just a huge cycle now.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

The real problem with discourse on the issue is folks on the left generally infer some sort of evil intent in the folks pushing to "protect marriage".
    By and large these are not mean people who wish to oppress anyone or even believe themselves to be better than any individual homosexual. If most of them were to sit down and converse with Ru Paul many if not most would be perfectly and genuinely genial.

While it's extremely difficult to have any empathy them it's still a useful exercise to at least TRY to get inside their heads. In their minds it's THEMSELVES they are protecting, not necessarily trying to threaten or oppress others. They want their children to grow up in the exact same environment they did, and seeing it change makes them feel like they're helpless. When people feel helpless they fight and shape their own brains accept anything which makes them feel less helpless. These are people from insular cultures whose minds have been shaped by deeply entrenched and nuanced rhetoric. They might be very intelligent in many ways but perhaps during their formative years they were taught abusive ideas by parents and authority figures they trusted (who in turn were taught these things by their trusted elders). When they talk about the desecration of the institution of marriage they are most likely NOT being hypocritical. They are being honest because the values and morals that were stuffed into them are too difficult to let go of or even modify.

There are probably some things that might shake the very core of your world view like this. Maybe things you might believe so fiercely that if some other group flaunted some opposing view in your face you might get extremely defensive and fight to keep your way of life exactly the same. It happens. Not kidding, it's a useful exercise to think about what those beliefs might be, and what it might be like to face losing that (while not assuming that you are an asshole for being afraid of it).

When they understand that things will not change for them when they change for others they'll start to lighten up. But a bunch of angry hippies only makes them think they've got a point.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 01-08-2014 at 03:46 PM.

In the running for post of the year
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

jackstraw94086, will you be my bff?

Tom is wrong. Those in power can afford to be polite, to follow all the procedures (that they set up), to be calm and composed. It is a privilege to be able to be polite.

And Jack is not entirely wrong but he ain't right, either. Evil doesn't have to come from evil people. Evil deeds can be done by otherwise reasonable people. Pushing your views on other people so you don't have to deal with people being different than you is evil. The pushers are not necessarily otherwise evil but they can still be doing an evil thing.

Saying they've been abused and fucked up by their wretched culture does not excuse their abuse of others.

I used to be deeply religious. My reason something was wrong was "God said it was" or "the Bible condemns it" (meaning the same thing), not anything rational. The people perpetrating these evils now are not me, of course, but that is still by and large the reasoning. It is not rational. It is not reasonable. It is not good. It is not right.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

John does not know how to win influence. Calling people names does not change people's minds.

Rationality also does not change the minds of the irrational.

And kvnty's comment wasn't intended to change minds; it was an expression of frustration in commiseration with djbionik. I wouldn't put that* on a press release but this is far from that.

* I wouldn't express that at all. I have no problems with breeders and would support government recognition of polygamous marriages, too. [Though of course in both cases there need to be rules and limits; like for the latter making it 18 and over and being clear that polygyny, polyandry and polygynandry are all allowed].

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

i agree that we should always strive to see things from someone else's point of view and not simply resort to name calling or being crass and dramatic to get our point across. i take issue with the "protection" comment. how are they "protecting themselves"? what do they perceive they are protecting themselves from? if they want people to grow up the way they grew up, does that include segregated schools like the ones my mother went to? i understand that in their minds they aren't being evil or hateful, but that is exactly what they are doing. i guess i don't understand why two consensual adults getting married affects them.

and what i came into this thread thinking we were going to discuss, what is going to happen to chris christie?!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4561448.html
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Utah

thread title

why is Mormon so close to moron in spelling?

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Rationality also does not change the minds of the irrational.
    And yet your own story you've shared contradicts this. You say you were once religious; you say you now are not religious because you think that's more rational.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Chris Christie is toast. Just saw this come across my screen.

BREAKING: The US Attorney is opening an inquiry into Chris Christie's bridge scandal, reports The New York Times

A. He told the media he personally was out on the road that night moving the cones. How can you turn around and say you were lied to and deny all responsibility when you already admitted to physically being out there? The Governor just took orders that day? Nope.

B. His top staffer who is also a high school pal knew about it and ordered the closure with documented evidence that was some sort of political or vindictive move.

C. Emergency vehicles and School Buses were stranded. The idiot obviously didn't think this all the way through. When the elderly and children are involved, you aren't going to recover.
    Last edited by faxman75; 01-09-2014 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Yeah, it's only Utah and Mormons that hate the gays, and not the 32 other states (or their religious majorities) that have gay marriage bans in their laws or constitutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

totally what I'm saying. glad we're on the same page, buddy.

And yet your own story you've shared contradicts this. You say you were once religious; you say you now are not religious because you think that's more rational.
    I did not mean anything that strictly. In general rationality is not going to penetrate, or at least is going to take a lot of time to penetrate. And will often not penetrate on its own. And people are different, different things will penetrate different people.

Yes, I tend to respond better to people who are calm and reasonable and polite... but what that really means is that I respond less to those people; I stay more in control and am less uncomfortable and change less.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    And kvnty's comment wasn't intended to change minds; it was an expression of frustration in commiseration with djbionik. I wouldn't put that* on a press release but this is far from that.
    thanks for "getting it."

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Yeah, it's only Utah and Mormons that hate the gays, and not the 32 other states (or their religious majorities) that have gay marriage bans in their laws or constitutions.
    the Mormons came into the convo b/c they were one of the biggest donors (if not THE biggest donor) of funding Prop 8 in California in 2008. So, yeah, they're up there towards the tippy top of homophobia as far as I'm concerned. But the great thing to come from Prop 8, actually, was the exact opposite of what it intended. So there's always that. Thanks Mormons.

I have more and more personal reasons to be upset with the Mormon Church than I can imagine almost anyone else here having. But I think a lot of revisionist history has been written about Prop. 8 that fails to account for how much the pro gay rights groups sat on their asses all through 2008 and simply got out-organized by the Mormons and assorted other bigots. The HRC printed a lot of kewl equality bumper stickers and spent a lot of money helping the national Democrats in 2008, but largely was MIA for all of the critical action in the Prop 8. fight.
    Last edited by Miroir Noir; 01-09-2014 at 10:16 AM.

FWIW, I donated money to the main anti Prop. 8 organization in 2008, though I am neither gay nor a California resident. That is how much the LDS Church pissed me off that year. But my broader point is that the Mormons are being unfairly singled out for holding political views or taking political action that is hardly unique to them, largely because it's politically acceptable to shit all over the Mormons, not so much the Catholics or evangelicals.
    Last edited by Miroir Noir; 01-09-2014 at 10:18 AM.

Also the Ft Lee/GWB scandal is serious business. There are going to be criminal charges here. And it really seems like it goes all the way up - in this case, one more step - but Christie is denying everything.

He may actually have been completely ignorant of what his staff was doing, despite such close involvement but that doesn't make any sense. Or at least doesn't speak to him being in control of anything. No matter what this hurts Christie because it cuts into the image of himself he has been selling.

I don't know if he will be removed from office. I don't even know if this would hurt him in another NJ-wide election (though he wouldn't get many votes from Fort Lee). But hopefully this will shut up people who thought he had a chance at the Presidency (or even the Republican nomination) in 2016.

I have more and more personal reasons to be upset with the Mormon Church than I can imagine almost anyone else here having. But I think a lot of revisionist history has been written about Prop. 8 that fails to account for how much the pro gay rights groups sat on their asses all through 2008 and simply got out-organized by the Mormons and assorted other bigots. The HRC printed a lot of kewl equality bumper stickers and spent a lot of money helping the national Democrats in 2008, but largely was MIA for all of the critical action in the Prop 8. fight.
    this. if there's one reason Prop 8 passed it was because its opponents got way too complacent (myself included). no one I knew thought this prop had a snowball's chance in hell of passing and we all got a little lazy with really putting forth any concerted effort to dispel all the lies and propaganda swirling around at the time. big lesson learned.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

FWIW, I donated money to the main anti Prop. 8 organization in 2008, though I am neither gay nor a California resident. That is how much the LDS Church pissed me off that year. But my broader point is that the Mormons are being unfairly singled out for holding political views or taking political action that is hardly unique to them, largely because it's politically acceptable to shit all over the Mormons, not so much the Catholics or evangelicals.
    i actually think it is fair to single out the mormons. of course they aren't the only ones against gay marriage. but in addition to all the prop 8 stuff, don't mormons participate in the "turn straight" programs too? i'd be interested to know how much money the catholics, evangelicals, and mormons each spend trying to keep gay marriage illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.