Page 171 of 180 FirstFirst ... 166167168169170171172173174175176 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,130 of 5390

Thread: Fuck the Republican Party.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

While I don't doubt that they had no problem finding people this ignorant and it's obviously meant for entertainment, I always find those type of bits where they can paint "public opinion" any way they want by simply editing to be annoying.

It's Jimmy Kimmel Live.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

I'M SHOCKED AND HORRIFIED THAT THEY DID NOT DO A SCIENTIFIC SURVEY AND FAIRLY PRESENT ALL SIDES OF THE RESULTS
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I mean, come on. The reel of people knowledgeable about the whole thing is such so boooooring

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

"WHY WHATEVER COULD YOU MEAN, THOSE TWO NAMES ARE OF THE SAME EXACT THING!"
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I'M SHOCKED AND HORRIFIED THAT THEY DID NOT DO A SCIENTIFIC SURVEY AND FAIRLY PRESENT ALL SIDES OF THE RESULTS
    note where I acknowledged that it's just entertainment.

It's still annoying and it's been smeared all over facebook for days by dolts trying to suggest that it has more significance than just a spot of comedy.

"Neo-Confederate insurrectionists" might be my new favorite phrase.

http://www.salon.com/2013/10/08/ex_g..._for_shutdown/
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

VigoTheCarpathian

Who here thinks that a local neighborhood industrialist bringing home a half million bucks a year should be taxed at the same rate as Warren Bufffert?

Oh my god, your "shoe" business is never going to bring in anywhere near that kind of money and you aren't an industrialist shut up

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

VigoTheCarpathian

I'm gong to be the greatest industrialist of our generation. I don't see what I have to do with the question anyways.

Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I saw that map circulated last winter. One of the number cruncher political observers I read noted that if you applied the Electoral College to that redrawn map, the Republicans would win almost every presidential election.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

well fuck that.

Quote Originally Posted by alpha_q_up View Post
    a cunt punt is always the best solution to cure someone of their bitchassness
    Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Gay is the answer to everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    I saw that map circulated last winter. One of the number cruncher political observers I read noted that if you applied the Electoral College to that redrawn map, the Republicans would win almost every presidential election.
    That's a nonsensical conclusion. It may be true that if the those political boundaries had existed in the past then perhaps republicans may have won more previous elections based on CURRENT political geography, but if the map actually DID exist that way the parties would have no doubt deployed different strategies than they otherwise actually have and the political landscape would likely be much different.

My suspicion is that this "number cruncher" is merely toying with the idea that if you took a big chunk of electoral votes from cities like NYC, LA, Chicago, etc. then of course republicans would win more, taking for granted the fact that rural areas are right leaning. I think that paradigm is fading.

Advantages of this proposal
    Preserves the historic structure and function of the Electoral College.
    Ends the over-representation of small states and under-representation of large states in presidential voting and in the US Senate by eliminating small and large states.
    Political boundaries more closely follow economic patterns, since many states are more centered on one or two metro areas.
    Ends varying representation in the House. Currently, the population of House districts ranges from 528,000 to 924,000. After this reform, every House seat would represent districts of the same size. (Since the current size of the House isn't divisible by 50, the numbers of seats should be increased to 450 or 500.)
    States could be redistricted after each census - just like House seats are distributed now.
    Disadvantages
    Some county names are duplicated in new states.
    Some local governments would experience a shift in state laws and procedures.
    Methodology
    The map began with an algorithm that grouped counties based on proximity, urban area, and commuting patterns. The algorithm was seeded with the fifty largest cities. After that, manual changes took into account compact shapes, equal populations, metro areas divided by state lines, and drainage basins. In certain areas, divisions are based on census tract lines.

The District of Columbia is included into the state of Washington, with the Mall, major monuments and Federal buildings set off as the seat of the federal government.

The capitals of the states are existing states capitals where possible, otherwise large or central cities have been chosen. The suggested names of the new states are taken mainly from geographical features:

mountain ranges or peaks, or caves – Adirondack, Allegheny, Blue Ridge, Chinati, Mammoth, Mesabi, Ozark, Pocono, Rainier, Shasta, Shenandoah and Shiprock
    rivers – Atchafalaya, Menominee, Maumee, Nodaway, Sangamon, Scioto, Susquehanna, Trinity and Willimantic
    historical or ecological regions – Big Thicket, Firelands and Tidewater
    bays, capes, lakes and aquifers – Casco, Tampa Bay, Canaveral, Mendocino, Ogallala, Salt Lake and Throgs Neck
    songs – Gary, Muskogee and Temecula
    cities – Atlanta, Chicago, Columbia, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Newark, Philadelphia, Phoenix and Washington
    plants – Tule and Yerba Buena
    people – King and Orange
    The words used for names for the name are drawn from many languages, including many American Indian languages. While some etymologies are unclear, the root languages for the state names include Abenaki (Casco), Algonquian (Nodaway, Pocono, Willimantic), Apache (Chinati), Calusa (Tampa), Choctaw (Atchafalaya), English, French (Detroit, Ozark, Rainier), Greek (Philadelphia), Iroquoian (Shenandoah), Lakota (Ogallala), Latin (Columbia), Luiseņo (Temecula), Mayaimi (Miami), Mamaceqtaw (Menominee), Miami-Illinois (Chicago), Mohawk (Adirondack), Muscogee (Muskogee), Nahuatl (Tule), Odawa (Maumee), Ojibwe (Mesabi), Potawatomi (Sangamon), Susquehannock (Susquehanna) and Wyandot (Scioto).

Keep in mind that this is an art project, not a serious proposal, so take it easy with the emails about the sacred soil of Texas. That said, if you have any questions, drop me a line.

A poster version of the map is in production. If you'd like to know when it's ready, add your email to the announcement list:

Tell me more about a poster

http://fakeisthenewreal.org/reform/

This is an idiotic idea if the whole purpose is to "preserve the historic electoral college" by essentially nullifying it. He misses the whole point of the electoral college (whether one agrees with its purpose or not).

Keep in mind that this is an art project, not a serious proposal

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    This is an idiotic idea if the whole purpose is to "preserve the historic electoral college" by essentially nullifying it. He misses the whole point of the electoral college (whether one agrees with its purpose or not).
    The word advantages implies multiple purposes, I'd wager. Especially since he lists more than one advantage.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

oh jesus christ, yes it's obvious that the map is not ACTUALLY going to be redrawn this way. It's still a dumb notion based on a flawed understanding of the electoral college. This is a just message board for wasting time, mocking folks for complaining about trivial things is ironic, no?

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    The word advantages implies multiple purposes, I'd wager. Especially since he lists more than one advantage.
    So first I'll admit that I did not express the exact thought I wished to, and thus your knock on that particular sentence is valid (see how easy that is?).
    However, if you look at all his advantageS, they follow the pretty much the same theme, which is that the legislative representatives all effectivly represent the same number of people. This notion essentially negates the whole original idea behind the electoral college, and thus his first (of a subsequent set of nearly identical advantages) is somewhat useless as his intention is to effectively render it redundant.

There is no irony whatsoever.

yes now I see how important your complaint is.

Jack, you're a pedantic little shit most of the time.

yeah I should understand that everything anyone else says on a message board is sacred.
    and flippant little attempts to be cute never warrant a response. ever. Because that'd be pedantic.

Now you've got it.

I know it's not "news" but these graphics are still fun. And ironically the republican strategy has actually increased public support for the ACA.

I love that Boehner is turning into the real villain. Boehner keeps insisting that there aren't enough House votes to pass the CURRENT budget but he appears he's flat out wrong at this point.

http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/20...free-fall?lite

I have seen a different such redrawing that I liked better that took into account travel times. Can you imagine living in northern Ogallala and having to go to the capitol? Same for western Shiprock, northeastern Salt Lake, etc. I think it was a little less insistent on having each state have exactly the same population. Which makes sense because people move.

I don't think it represents a misunderstanding of the Electoral College. It says "Preserves the historic structure and function of the Electoral College" and I think the key there is "function". The EC was about seeing that people and states were represented fairly and this takes that to a new level.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Also I like the Excel chart!
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

nerd.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I have seen a different such redrawing that I liked better that took into account travel times. Can you imagine living in northern Ogallala and having to go to the capitol? Same for western Shiprock, northeastern Salt Lake, etc. I think it was a little less insistent on having each state have exactly the same population. Which makes sense because people move.
    One that takes actual geography into consideration would definitely be more sensible.
    Curious what you mean by how that map takes EC to a new level. I'm not sure I agree that it has any function in the proposed map. I'm of course assuming that the author assumes the state electors will vote in the direction of the popular vote, and as such I don't think there is any significant function for an electoral college if it necessarily matches the popular vote, in the same proportion as the popular vote. The notion of "fairness" that the constitutional convention struggled over wasn't really the same as what I think is being put forth here (which seems to be more "every person gets the same representation"). It was originally more about just states being treated fairly. The tension and compromise between industrial and agrarian states (especially before suffrage and the 14th amendment) was a much bigger deal. Not to mention that statehood itself was a much bigger deal back when they were only a few years removed from being colonies. The ECs function back then was to ensure that the president was not chosen by states that simply had more people. It made the needs of less populous states slightly less insignificant during and between elections. If no state has any popular disadvantage then the EC is pretty much worthless.

Perhaps one might argue that the EC's real primary purpose was that the founding fathers wanted a group of old smart dudes to have the power to subvert the will of a mass of dumb dudes, but I think that function is long dead.

EDIT: unless by "function" you mean the literal mechanics of the system. I was using the word more in the "purpose" sense.
    Actually if the EC still existed in the "every state is equal" scenario then there's some opportunity for some egregious subjugation of popular will if the EC members of each state voted as a block (pretty much what's possibly today only moreso).
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 10-11-2013 at 02:14 PM.