Page 170 of 182 FirstFirst ... 165166167168169170171172173174175 ... LastLast
Results 5,071 to 5,100 of 5445

Thread: Fuck the Republican Party.

Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

Yup.

[House] Republicans said Wednesday that the spending impasse that shut down the government early Tuesday is less about conservatives' desire to derail Obamacare than it is about strengthening their hand in the debt-ceiling talks. … “We’re not going to be disrespected,” conservative Rep. Marlin Stutzman, R-Ind., added. “We have to get something out of this. And I don’t know what that even is.”

10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival
    10/22: Roman Flugel @ f8
    10/25: Moodymann @ PW
    11/20: The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore

Ugh. I really want to say something threatening about the republicans, but I don't want there to be a record of it. Those bastards.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

So is this now just a ploy to get the president impeached? Haven't they been waiting for this since he was elected? Doubt they will give up that opportunity now.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

That's what Mitch is saying I guess. Yikes. Poor Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Ugh. I really want to say something threatening about the republicans, but I don't want there to be a record of it. Those bastards.
    C'mon

Says Nicky Cage the vamp

I think the proper way to view this "standoff" is as a quasi-impeachment scenario in which the Republicans are attempting to nullify the results of the last election by demanding outrageous concessions in exchange for merely allowing the government to operate and pay its existing debts. I could easily see it turning into an actual impeachment effort if Obama agrees to pay the nation's debts without obtaining congressional authorization.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

But I mean, how is that going to look? Impeaching a president for getting a blowie is one thing, but impeaching Obama for essentially restoring the government to a functioning state? How will the Republicans ever win another election after that? I imagine they're gonna want people to forget this ugliness happened as soon as possible, and impeachment is going to keep it in the headlines for years.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Your stupid

You underestimate the stupidity of the American voter.

Krugman is a known hack though.

eh.... so there's been shots fired at the Capital this afternoon. Someone tried to ram the gate? Is this it? Civil War Part II?

Shots fired at Capitol

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Sandwich View Post
    eh.... so there's been shots fired at the Capital this afternoon. Someone tried to ram the gate? Is this it? Civil War Part II?

Shots fired at Capitol
    Interesting. Because if she didn't ram the gate, which is possible.

There were no signs of damage left by a vehicle or to the concrete barriers always in place there. Police moved onlookers down about 25 feet.
    They may have just shot and killed a scared and unarmed civilian with a baby/child in the car who sped away from the cops and blew some red lights.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Or was it two different incidents? This report seems to say a man tried ramming a barricade and later a women led police on a shot and they shot her.

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/10...ing-94856.html

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    If by hack you mean most reproducibly accurate pundit, then yes.
    Your stupid

Quote Originally Posted by JebusLives View Post
    If by hack you mean most reproducibly accurate pundit, then yes.
    Literally the only thing this tells me is that liberal predictions about the financial crisis were correct. Paul Krugman writes economic predictions that please a liberal audience. He doesn't write economic predictions that carry any semblance of neutrality.

There's not enough data here to say anything further. Give me a sample with more economists, a longer time frame, and more events.
    (FWIW, I consider myself liberal)

E: This isn't even a peer reviewed article and it wasn't in any journals. Do better than that.

I mean you basically had two parties, and one major event, and the paper says that one party were right 50% of the time. Groundbreaking.

I started writing a response to your 2rd paragraph. Then I deleted it and stared responding to the first one. Then I just deleted it all and gave up.
    Your stupid

I hope you learned not to cite flawed "studies" that are actually class exercises to teach undergraduates how to engage in the mechanics of research without producing anything of value.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    Clearly I did not adhere to the same rigourous research methodologies that you did in making this statement. You've destroyed my arguments with objectively superior data, and all I can do is hope the humiliation stops soon.
    Your stupid

Way to miss the point. Look, I offered an opinion. You offered an opinion and tried to make it authoritative by citing a piece of crap, which is actually worse than citing nothing. Perhaps next time you should read more than the abstract.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

But I mean, how is that going to look? Impeaching a president for getting a blowie is one thing,
    This is nitpicking, but I see it a lot and it bothers me because I feel like people believe this is actually what happened. Clinton was impeached for perjury, not for the event he was lying about. You may very well understand that too, but I think it's a pretty important distinction. He was certainly going to be given a mountain of grief for his infidelity with an intern, but in trying to avoid that he made a really tremendous mistake and he absolutely should have been impeached for doing that.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

Anyway that kind of thing is annoying because it passes all the time. IIRC Paul Ryan cited four "studies" in the VP debates which turned out to be 3 blog posts and a white paper written by a conservative think tank. Throwing out a link to something irresponsibly doesn't make your point stronger.

Published reports have shown that JebusLives is a self-confessed Canadian, icey. Take this into account.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    I think the proper way to view this "standoff" is as a quasi-impeachment scenario in which the Republicans are attempting to nullify the results of the last election by demanding outrageous concessions in exchange for merely allowing the government to operate and pay its existing debts. I could easily see it turning into an actual impeachment effort if Obama agrees to pay the nation's debts without obtaining congressional authorization.
    Not exactly. The government is still collecting revenues. Obama isn't going to authorize any new spending. That would be a violation of the constitution. But, he does get to dictate how the existing incoming revenues are allocated. For example, he might decide to pay our debts and then fund the Headstart program but not send social security checks.

Published reports have shown that JebusLives is a self-confessed Canadian, icey. Take this into account.
    Sorry, what was that? Was busy cooking a government-inspected hamburger in this here national park.
    Your stupid

Nanny state.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Meanwhile back in the states:

Sorry, what was that? Was busy cooking a government-inspected hamburger in this here national park.
    We used to have nice things too.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

But I mean, how is that going to look? Impeaching a president for getting a blowie is one thing, but impeaching Obama for essentially restoring the government to a functioning state? How will the Republicans ever win another election after that? I imagine they're gonna want people to forget this ugliness happened as soon as possible, and impeachment is going to keep it in the headlines for years.

"restoring government" is only your perspective. If Obama's hand were forced and subverted congress and the constitution to (Mirror's last sentence) then that's the impeachable offense. And many if not most of the Republicans who are grandstanding right now are doing so to get reelected. They don't want anyone forgetting this. It's a shortsighted strategy for the general health of the republican party but that's not what these guys seem to care about.

Quote Originally Posted by theresalwaysone View Post
    Not exactly. The government is still collecting revenues. Obama isn't going to authorize any new spending. That would be a violation of the constitution. But, he does get to dictate how the existing incoming revenues are allocated. For example, he might decide to pay our debts and then fund the Headstart program but not send social security checks.
    Well, kind of. Congress has ordered the president to fund existing debt payments, entitlement obligations, and budget spending. In order to meet these funding obligations, it has given the president authority to sell treasury bonds up to a certain level to pay the nation's existing debts (the debt ceiling), and has also of course given him a defined amount of revenue in the form of taxes.

Some legal observers are convinced that because Congress has ordered the president to pay all of these obligations -- but has not given him the authority to fully fund them at the point the debt ceiling is reached -- the president can choose to follow the original Congressional order to pay the various obligations and ignore its failure/refusal to fund the obligations. The argument is that the president could do this because a) his inherent executive authority (a weak argument in my mind), b) an obscure clause in the Fourteenth Amendment (a relatively decent argument in my mind), or c) because the president has authority to simply decide from among the irreconcilable congressional orders I described above (another weak argument in my mind, though not as weak as the first). The president's attorneys don't agree that any of these options work. Practically speaking, if the president merely attempted to prioritize payments at the point the debt ceiling is breached, they would all go to service of debt obligations, the notes for which would likely become due in an escalated and immediate fashion, exhausting all of the budget and more simply to pay them. Prioritization probably is neither legally nor practically possible. I like the Fourteenth Amendment option, but as Tom mentioned earlier and the scholars explain here, creditors would probably be hesitant to buy new bonds issued without Congressional authorization because their validity could be questioned.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    It's a shortsighted strategy for the general health of the republican party
    I think the Republican party has found that stupid, irrational, illogical, mindless but emotionally compelling propaganda has served them quite well in recent years.