Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

Uh.....

10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival
    10/22: Roman Flugel @ f8
    10/25: Moodymann @ PW
    11/20: The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinon View Post
    Doesn't surprise me. I can't say I ever think about that state and consider it some sort of model for good governance. It seems the "meth lab for democracy" moniker is well deserved.
    A more thoughtful take.

http://campaignstops.blogs.nytimes.c...on-of-america/

Quote Originally Posted by New York Times
    The Arizonification of America

By JEFF BIGGERS

Phoenix, Ariz.

With the “papers please” provision of Arizona’s controversial SB 1070 immigration law now in effect, Bill Clinton roused an overflowing crowd at Arizona State University last week with a special shout out to the state’s “dreamers,” the highly organized ranks of undocumented youth seeking permanent residency either through education or the military (and sometimes both). Appearing on behalf of the former Surgeon General Richard Carmona, whose surging campaign to become the first Latino Senator in Arizona now leads in the latest polls, Clinton drew some of his biggest cheers for his support of the DREAM Act merely by calling it the “right thing to do.”

Welcome to the Arizona showdown.

Underscored by Gov. Jan Brewer’s latest act of defiance in denying state benefits to undocumented youth affected by President Obama’s deferral of immigration action against them, the Republican Party’s full embrace of Arizona’s immigration policy at its summer convention drew a clear line in the state’s sand. The “Arizonification” of America continues to frame the national immigration debate. It has cemented the state’s frontline image as so hopelessly wedded to a punitive approach of “attrition through enforcement” at any cost that “The Daily Show” once referred to Arizona as the “meth lab of democracy.”

Not that the headline-grabbing nativists, frontier justice sheriffs, neo-Nazi marchers, gun-toting militiamen and Tea Party political figures don’t exist in Arizona. But as the estimated 5,500 in attendance for Carmona and Clinton reminded the state, the fringe elements dominating the media and Arizona’s state house may have finally met their match. Case in point: An electrified citizens’ campaign has mounted the most serious get-out-the-vote effort against Joe Arpaio, the notorious Maricopa County Sheriff, in his 20-year reign.

The resurgence of this “other Arizona” signals a revival of the state’s century-old legacy of fighting against such anti-immigrant and thinly veiled racism, a movement that began almost as soon as Arizona’s entry as a territory in the mid-19th century. For example, in Tucson, the pioneering Mexican immigrant Estevan Ochoa not only salvaged public education but single-handedly faced down the Confederate occupation of the Old Pueblo. When the Tucson Unified School District dismantled its acclaimed Mexican-American Studies program in Ochoa’s hometown last spring, Latino youth were quick to rekindle his memory.

I believe that today’s overlooked but growing alliance among Latinos, retiring baby boomers and rooted centrists will have a far a more lasting impact on both the liberal and conservative agendas nationally than the headline-grabbing but faltering Tea Party. This alliance might even have an impact on the 2012 election: Beyond Carmona’s surprising gains, the latest polling data to include Spanish-speaking voters now places the presidential showdown in a dead heat, even as Gov. Mitt Romney hangs on to a healthy overall lead in Arizona.

Is the other Arizona coming back?

Consider the progressive stalwarts who wrote one of the most enlightened constitutions in the country at Arizona’s birth in 1912. In a prophetic speech that he gave after negotiating a nationally watched labor agreement between striking union miners and copper companies, Gov. George W. Hunt spelled out the challenge facing the entire nation:

It will be a happy day for the nation when the corporations shall be excluded from political activity and vast accumulations of capital cannot be employed in an attempt to control government.

Railing against corporate influence and money in politics in Arizona in 1916, Hunt foretold the Occupy Wall Street movement a century in advance:

“The working class, plus the professional class, represent 99 percent,” he declared. “The remaining 1 percent is represented by those who make a business of employing capital.”

For all of his enlightenment, Hunt and his progressive forces succumbed to anti-immigrant pressures from more conservative unions and excluded the very foot soldiers who had built his labor ranks before statehood: in 1903, Mexican-American, native and immigrant workers led the first strikes in the state in Morenci.

The betrayal came full circle in 1917. Driven by a similar anti-immigrant hysteria during World War I, armed copper company thugs led by a border sheriff rounded up and deported striking immigrant miners in the copper capital of Bisbee. The extreme measure drew national condemnation, but also set a precedent of using punitive measures against immigrants over the next century whenever the economy slumped, wars ended or election time heated up.

But Arizonans also fought back. In 1972, the national media once again focused here, when Gov. Jack Williams signed a bill that banned secondary boycotts and strikes during harvest time, cracked down on collective bargaining rights and union membership procedures, and made it a crime to make “misleading” speeches about boycotted products. The headlines screamed: “Arizona-type legislation is spreading to many other farm states, despite protests.”

Launching his “Si Se Puede” movement, the inspiring slogan that would be adopted as “Yes, We Can” by President Barack Obama’s first presidential campaign, Cesar Chavez, an Arizona native and co-founder of the United Farm Workers embarked in 1972 on a “fast for love” in Phoenix in the “spirit of social justice in Arizona.” Chavez wrote:

The fast is to try to reach the hearts of those men, so that they will understand that we too have rights and we’re not here to destroy, because we’re not destroyers, we’re builders.

Larry Downing/Reuters President Barack Obama at the Cesar E. Chavez National Monument on Oct. 8, 2012, in Keene, Calif.

Although Williams’s hard-line anti-union legislation would be fought in the courts for years, the Chavez-led campaign signed up 150,000 new voters, ushering in a new era of electoral participation: Within two years, thanks to Chavez’s work, Raul Castro became the state’s first (and still the only) Latino governor.

In one of the most overlooked major news stories last year, a similar “Si Se Puede” movement once again shocked local and national media observers and entrenched political interests lulled into believing Arizona’s SB 1070 had placed the state on electoral lockdown. Led by Randy Parraz, a labor organizer, new bipartisan movement fed up with the state’s extremist policies took its organizational momentum into electoral politics and carried out the historic recall of former state senator Russell Pearce, the self-declared “Tea Party President” and legislative mastermind behind SB 1070. The historic nature of the recall, dating back to the state’s progressive constitution battle a century ago, was the opening salvo in the 2012 elections, for two reasons.

First, Parraz and his Citizens for a Better Arizona brought together often disparate factions in Arizona — including rising Latino youth, retiring baby boomers, centrists that included the Mormon church, and the demoralized local Democratic Party — in arguably one of the most conservative legislative districts in the nation. “Arizona has been in the headlines for all of the wrong reasons,” Parraz told his forces. “We need a victory now.” And they got it. Pearce, considered one of the most influential voices in the “attrition through enforcement” movement spreading across numerous states, was the first state senate president to be recalled in American history, according to election record keepers.

Speaking about the Pearce recall, Dan O’Neal, chairman of the Arizona Progressive Democrats of America, said: “This election sends a message to other Democratic efforts,” to not be afraid to take on issues and races in red states.”

Secondly, the recall also spotlighted the emergence of a new Latino generation and its role in a historic demographic shift taking place in Arizona and across the nation. With the nation’s highest “cultural generation” gap, according to a Brookings Metropolitan Policy study in 2010 — 83 percent of the state’s aging population was categorized as Anglo, and 57 percent of the children came from Latino families in the last census — Arizona has changed from 72 percent to 50 percent non-Latino in the past two decades. The demographics don’t pull any punches. A new political conversation is about to take place in Arizona. And organizers are not sitting back and waiting.

Working with several other civil rights groups, Parraz and his Citizens for a Better Arizona now lead the “Joe’s Got to Go” campaign against Arpaio, whose one-time insurmountable lead over his opponent Paul Penzone has shrunk to a few percentage points. With the sheriff under investigation for racial profiling by the Department of Justice, the take-no-prisoners challenge of Arpaio’s role as the face of SB 1070 enforcement has already electrified the state’s once-timid liberal ranks.

If an Arpaio upset happens, with the state “papers please” law a part of all races in the state and the nation, the rise of the “other Arizona” and its bipartisan rejection of extremism could reverse the “Arizonification of America” push back in the opposite direction. As one of 15 swing states where the margin of victory often hangs on one to three percentage points, the expected 6-8 percent increase in Latino voters places Arizona on the cusp of electing Carmona to a highly prized Senate position for the Democrats.

In essence: While Arizona may not swing to President Obama, the defeat of Arpaio or a victory for Carmona would be a huge step toward dismantling Republican control behind Arizona’s state immigration policy, and changing a state of mind for the media and outside observers.

No more “meth lab of democracy.”

Inspired by organizers like Parraz, and driven by the changing demographics, electoral change is coming in increments to Arizona in 2012 — and ultimately laying the groundwork for the gubernatorial race in 2014 for either Brewer or a bevy of Republican candidates. A groundwork deeply rooted in the other Arizona’s powerful lessons of history that transcend the state’s borders.

As Phoenix-based Puente human rights advocate Carlos Garcia recently told me, Arizona’s gift to the nation may simply be this legacy of resiliency against extremism on the front lines. “Turning the tide from hate to human rights,” as Garcia put it, sends a powerful message that will reach far beyond the ballot box.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Starraven View Post

Debate Moderators May Be Affecting the Election

Actually, yes, I'm mad. Bitch shouldn't have opened her mouth. Just gives credibility to that whole 'liberal media' / 'leftist agenda' thing... that I hate hearing... It also gives legitimacy and a need for things like Ann Coulter & Fox News. It's actually WORSE because Ann Coulter is never going to be a goddamn moderator for a presidential debate.

Yeah, Romney is lying through his teeth. But keep your goddamn mouth shut and let Obama worry about it. That's his job not yours.
    Be a fucking professional.

/rant (sorry about the response time I've been busy)
    so you're saying moderators shouldn't actually moderate, they should just sit there and ask questions whenever the time is right? Bitch damn well did the right thing opening her mouth. Fuck Ann Coulter and the rest of the fucktards, they just find something to harp on but they don't ever sway anyone. Coulter is a loudmouth cheerleader for the protofascist set. She is not influential.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Bitch belongs in a binder!

/rant
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Hehe, I needed to let that out of my system.

http://www.debatingsociety.ca/ns/mod...structions.pdf

Always remember that your role is simply to maintain order and enforce the rules, NOT to take
    an active part in the debate. While you should be completely impartial and intervene only where this is
    necessary to protect the rights of an individual debater, don’t hesitate to step in if a debate is getting out
    of hand.

I'd say bitch followed that to the letter.

I disagree.

lets talk more about binders

http://bindersfullofwomen.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Starraven View Post

Debate Moderators May Be Affecting the Election

Actually, yes, I'm mad. Bitch shouldn't have opened her mouth. Just gives credibility to that whole 'liberal media' / 'leftist agenda' thing... that I hate hearing... It also gives legitimacy and a need for things like Ann Coulter & Fox News. It's actually WORSE because Ann Coulter is never going to be a goddamn moderator for a presidential debate.

Yeah, Romney is lying through his teeth. But keep your goddamn mouth shut and let Obama worry about it. That's his job not yours.
    Be a fucking professional.

/rant (sorry about the response time I've been busy)
    Disagree. She is doing her job and doing it well. I frankly don't give a shit about Fox News or right wing AM radio and the whole "liberal media" thing. They already believe it anyway. Who gives a crap? Time for reasonable people to stop backing down in the face of lies.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden| Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| DFA 1979| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

How dare she moderate with the facts.

To follow up on my earlier electoral math post, new NBC polls out tonight have Obama up 6 points in WI, and 8 in IA, and at over 51% in both states.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

WHY DO YOU REPEAT THE LIES OF THE LIBERAL MEDIA MITCH!?!?!

Mitch do your fucking job please and stfu

Mitch just playing right into Ann Coulter's bony hands.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    How dare she moderate with the facts.
    BUT ITS FUNNY BECAUSE REPUBLICANS TALK ABOUT 'THE FACTS' TOO LOL

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    BUT ITS FUNNY BECAUSE REPUBLICANS TALK ABOUT 'THE FACTS' TOO LOL
    you're confusing "facts" with rhetoric. Both sides do attempt to interpret "facts", but debator says something that is patently and demonstrably false it is not a matter of interpretation to say so.

Perhaps this was only funny to Browns fans...

RYAN MISTAKES COLT MCCOY FOR BRANDON WEEDEN AT BROWNS PRACTICE

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_1980844.html

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
    More interesting was the focus group on MSNBC immediately following the debates comprised of <ahem> undecided voters. The women in that group were leaning Romney and the moderator pressed them on the issue of equal pay. Watching them struggle to reconcile their desire to vote Republican with something clearly not in their best interest was extremely frustrating and perplexing.

I saw that too, they weren't all undecided voters as suggested. Especially those two broads, they seemed disingenuous, shrugging; eyes darting when the correspondent brought up equal pay. To me, that denoted a predisposition on their part -- and the thing is, why would they front on some bullshit like that, to get on television? Kinda embarrassing, watching that bit.

I finally saw the highlight of Romney's outburst about how long it took Obama to declare the Benghazi attack an act of terror. It was pretty hysterical. What an over-eager piece of shit. He really thought he'd delivered the death blow, and was acting like such an ass it's a fucking godsend the moderator put him in his place. The way these debates have evolved I would fully be in favor of ALL statistics and claims being fact-checked during the debate - take five minutes between each topic to go over everything that was said and call out all the bullshit.

yeah have two moderators to confirm each other, then they can debate when the 'statistics' get muddy

...ya because that's clearly what's being proposed there.

hey dipshit, the surest way to keep the moderator quiet is by not saying something that's obviously false. This wasn't a matter of opinion.

You do realize that this isn't a place where you'll win any fans for romney, right?

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    I finally saw the highlight of Romney's outburst about how long it took Obama to declare the Benghazi attack an act of terror. It was pretty hysterical. What an over-eager piece of shit. He really thought he'd delivered the death blow, and was acting like such an ass it's a fucking godsend the moderator put him in his place. The way these debates have evolved I would fully be in favor of ALL statistics and claims being fact-checked during the debate - take five minutes between each topic to go over everything that was said and call out all the bullshit.
    totally agree. i also hate the staged, softball questions. equal pay is about the least controversial women's issue that could have been addressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

VigoTheCarpathian

i guess romney didn't like that whole "don't ask direct questions" thing.

Days like these I really miss Richard Nixon
    "why are you so annoying" TheKlein25

So can someone explain to me why the binder memes with Bill Clinton are "okay" in that they're more laughing-with-you than laughing-at-you (at least from what I've seen and comments on FB), despite this all being a "female equality" issue and his obvious reputation as a "womanizer", regardless of his presidency? Genuinely curious

for me, it's because in 2012 real women don't give a shit about a "womanizer". we're smart enough to make decisions about whether or not we'll sleep with someone for fun.

Preach on, sister!
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    for me, it's because in 2012 real women don't give a shit about a "womanizer". we're smart enough to make decisions about whether or not we'll sleep with someone for fun.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden| Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| DFA 1979| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    So can someone explain to me why the binder memes with Bill Clinton are "okay" in that they're more laughing-with-you than laughing-at-you (at least from what I've seen and comments on FB), despite this all being a "female equality" issue and his obvious reputation as a "womanizer", regardless of his presidency? Genuinely curious
    People have sex for pleasure and not always for love. It's not a woman vs. man thing or a man vs. woman thing. The issue, for me, comes when a woman is genuinely looked at as lesser or incapable of intellectual thought, morality, emotion, productivity, creativity, ect. Indeed, regarding Clinton / Monica's situation as an Evil and lecherous male taking advantage of a helpless female is in itself.... sexist.

the question's premise is retarded.