Page 178 of 180 FirstFirst ... 173174175176177178179180 LastLast
Results 5,311 to 5,340 of 5391

Thread: Fuck the Republican Party.

  1. #5311

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    as a business owner don't you already have the right to refuse service to whomever you want to? Don't get me wrong, discrimination against anyone is silly when you're running a business but if you feel so compelled to do so you could do it without this law. Seems like this is yet another sensationalist story that gets the public all up and arms. I haven't been following this whole issue in arizona to closely so please correct me if I'm wrong

  2. #5312
    Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    9,246

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by WhatLies View Post
    as a business owner don't you already have the right to refuse service to whomever you want to? Don't get me wrong, discrimination against anyone is silly when you're running a business but if you feel so compelled to do so you could do it without this law. Seems like this is yet another sensationalist story that gets the public all up and arms. I haven't been following this whole issue in arizona to closely so please correct me if I'm wrong
    I could be wrong, but if that had passed wouldn't business owners have been able to hire and fire people based off of their sexual orientation as well?
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - The Zombies / Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

  3. #5313
    zeezus amyzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Arizzzona
    Posts
    40,903

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Ugh my boyfriend's Tea Party FB friend ripped me a new one because I'm horrible at arguing, regarding this bill.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

  4. #5314

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    yeah don't ask me, i tend to avoid stories that are there to get me mad. But you really don't need a law to do such a thing. You can always "mask" discrimination towards anyone by saying that there were other stronger candidates etc.

  5. #5315
    Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,413

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by WhatLies View Post
    as a business owner don't you already have the right to refuse service to whomever you want to? Don't get me wrong, discrimination against anyone is silly when you're running a business but if you feel so compelled to do so you could do it without this law. Seems like this is yet another sensationalist story that gets the public all up and arms. I haven't been following this whole issue in arizona to closely so please correct me if I'm wrong
    A store can only reserve the right to refuse service IF they have that right in the particular case, and they need a particular reason that doesn't conflict with the law.

    For instance. There is no state law that says you must serve someone without shirt or shoes. Therefore the store has the right to refuse service.
    another instance: If the person has started trouble in your establishment before, or your have reasonable assumption that they might (which could be articulated to law enforcement if it came to it), then you could perhaps refuse service.

    There IS a law (that they were trying to modify) that says you can't discriminate based on sex/race/creed. Therefore the store does not have that right to refuse service in the first place.


    If a store sign says "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" They're full of shit.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 02-27-2014 at 10:39 AM.

  6. #5316

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    ah i see, in that case I can see why there is some resistance but even if the law were to go through, any rational business owner would serve their customer regardless of sex/race/creed. If I were selling sandwiches in arizona and I refused to sell a sandwich to a gay man, word would get out and I would likely go out of business due to bad publicity. The market will take care of it.

  7. #5317
    old school LickTheLizzard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    chandler
    Posts
    2,563

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I could be wrong, but if that had passed wouldn't business owners have been able to hire and fire people based off of their sexual orientation as well?
    Unfortunately in AZ they can already do this, regardless of the bill.
    Last edited by LickTheLizzard; 02-27-2014 at 10:42 AM.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

  8. #5318
    Coachella Junkie
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,131

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by WhatLies View Post
    The market will take care of it.
    /sarcasm

  9. #5319

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    with all that said, what a terrible move by the republican party to even write a law such as this. In today's political climate, republicans are losing because they are divided (which lends to the reason why they'd support divisive laws) while democrats are unified. Regardless of principle, it's pretty stupid to come out with laws like this in this sort of political climate

  10. #5320
    Member Baby Sandwich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Surf City, USA
    Posts
    334

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    faxman posted this on facebook. i am so confused. why doesn't arizona understand the concept of time. first we try to push back dates of conception to prevent abortions, now we say we don't want to expend the energy to properly drug test for marijuana, so if you smoked two weeks ago and it's in your system, that's a DUI. how can this possibly hold up?!

    http://www.azcentral.com/news/politi...marijuana.html
    That is terrifying. Is this just an Arizona thing?

  11. #5321
    Dark Lord mountmccabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Mission
    Posts
    12,010

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Re: SB 1062 the current law says that the government can't "substantially burden a person's exercise of religion". SB 1062 would have modified "person" to include not just religious institutions (churches, etc) but also business, associations, etc.

    The current law said that if the government burdened your exercise of religion you could sue and seek relief. SB 1062 would have expanded that so that you could sue whether the government is involved or not.

    The problem with the libertarian argument that the government should stay out and let anybody/business discriminate and the market will take care of it is that that's fucking batshit insane, no, the market will not take care of it. There are too many bigots/assholes/people who don't/can't care.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

  12. #5322
    Member Baby Sandwich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Surf City, USA
    Posts
    334

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    The problem with the libertarian argument that the government should stay out and let anybody/business discriminate and the market will take care of it is that that's fucking batshit insane, no, the market will not take care of it. There are too many bigots/assholes/people who don't/can't care.
    No kidding. Sure, the market would probably weed out business owners who would try to pull this shit off in places like Seattle or Long Beach in 2014. But in other parts of the country there would be entire regions that would virtually turn into giant "no gayzz zones"

  13. #5323
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,898

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    The problem with the libertarian argument that the government should stay out and let anybody/business discriminate and the market will take care of it is that that's fucking batshit insane, no, the market will not take care of it. There are too many bigots/assholes/people who don't/can't care.
    The market did such a good job solving that slavery thing in the 1800s.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  14. #5324
    old school HotHamWater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    A thematic narrative
    Posts
    2,672

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    The problem with the libertarian argument that the government should stay out and let anybody/business discriminate and the market will take care of it is that that's fucking batshit insane, no, the market will not take care of it. There are too many bigots/assholes/people who don't/can't care.
    I'll admit, the "the market will take care of it" thought had crossed my mind over the past few days. But whenever it did cross my mind, your last sentence would enter my mind almost verbatim.

  15. #5325
    Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    nomad's land
    Posts
    9,946

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    The market did such a good job solving that slavery thing in the 1800s.
    there is a serious flaw in this logic, even tho the 'market will take care of it' argument is fucking stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

  16. #5326
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,898

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    There is no flaw. Either you don't understand my meaning, or you didn't think it through.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  17. #5327
    Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    nomad's land
    Posts
    9,946

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    one increases profit, the other decreases it.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

  18. #5328
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,898

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    I don't even know what that sentence means. What are these "ones" you refer to?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  19. #5329
    Coachella Junkie
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,131

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Slavery increases profit Tom. Come on.

  20. #5330
    Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,413

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    one increases profit, the other decreases it.
    HINT: what advantage did the slave holding establishment have over the slaves?

  21. #5331
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,898

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    one increases profit, the other decreases it.
    My point was, slavery existed because of free market forces. Left to their own devices without a government preventing them, white people went to Africa, captured the residents there, hauled them back, and put them to work as very cheap labor in a labor-intensive industry, hence increasing profits.

    The wider point was: left unchecked, the free market will do anything and everything to maximize profit. At a minimum, the free market does a shitty job of addressing inequalities in a constructive way because it will only do so if there is money to be made at it. Often, the opposite is true: there is money to be made by doing things that do not contribute to the greater good, and in fact harm it. This is why we have minimum wage laws, civil rights laws, pollution laws, etc. It is also why expecting a free market solution to work in the issue of gay rights is misguided at best, if not flat out devious.

    Edit: I guess your point was, denying services to gay people will reduce profit, and hence the free market will not tolerate it. I don't know that this is true. As John noted, there are plenty of bigots who will steer their money to discriminatory businesses simply because of their discriminatory policies.
    Last edited by TomAz; 02-28-2014 at 05:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  22. #5332
    Member santasutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    2,321

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    As John noted, there are plenty of bigots who will steer their money to discriminatory businesses simply because of their discriminatory policies.


    No Fatties Need Apply.

  23. #5333
    old school JebusLives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,299

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    one increases profit, the other decreases it.
    Let me guess - you're white.


    I imagine the former slaves were making somewhat better salaries after being set free. As in, more than $0/hour.
    Last edited by JebusLives; 02-28-2014 at 07:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Your stupid

  24. #5334
    Dark Lord mountmccabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Mission
    Posts
    12,010

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    I don't think hcb was actually defending slavery.

    As to the point being discussed, Chick-fil-A. Other bigots will flock to support bigots. And a lot of people just like chicken sandwiches.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

  25. #5335
    foof roberto73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Stately Wayne Manor
    Posts
    2,990

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I don't think hcb was actually defending slavery.

    As to the point being discussed, Chick-fil-A. Other bigots will flock to support bigots. And a lot of people just like chicken sandwiches.
    And apparently love of chicken sandwiches often trumps not supporting homophobia. I have many friends and colleagues who are pro-gay rights and support marriage equality but still scarf down those sandwiches like they're going out of style.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

  26. #5336
    Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    9,246

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    And apparently love of chicken sandwiches often trumps not supporting homophobia. I have many friends and colleagues who are pro-gay rights and support marriage equality but still scarf down those sandwiches like they're going out of style.
    Most people just forget. I doubt anyone that goes to Chick-fil-A these days even remembers that whole controversy.
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - The Zombies / Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

  27. #5337
    foof roberto73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Stately Wayne Manor
    Posts
    2,990

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    I'm in Georgia. It's still very much a thing. We've even got a law similar to AZ's currently working its way through the system. Lucky us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

  28. #5338
    Member Phantasma Del Mar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Park
    Posts
    1,902

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.


    9/21 - Arsis @ New Royal Dive
    10/28 - Tycho @ North Park Theatre
    10/30 - The Rural Alberta Advantage @ Soda Bar
    11/4 - United Nations @ Los Globos
    11/12 - DFA 1979 @ House Of Blues
    11/14 - The Presets @ North Park Theatre
    11/29 - Cake @ Del Mar

  29. #5339
    Member Baby Sandwich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Surf City, USA
    Posts
    334

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasma Del Mar View Post

  30. #5340
    Member Baby Sandwich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Surf City, USA
    Posts
    334

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Scott Greenberg : GOP Hipster™


Similar Threads

  1. It's raining Republican filibusters
    By TomAz in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-21-2013, 08:45 AM
  2. Fuck Reckoner and Fuck Rebellion (lies)...
    By Deviate_420 in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-18-2009, 10:50 PM
  3. Why are you voting Republican?
    By faxman75 in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-14-2008, 10:51 AM
  4. Tapping of Foot OUTS Republican Senator
    By gaypalmsprings in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 09-04-2007, 04:56 PM
  5. WHERE THE FUCK IS JET!!?!??!?!
    By vinylmartyr in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 10:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •